HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose Goaltending Discussion - Which #29?

Old
06-14-2013, 01:42 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
All Purpose Goaltending Discussion - Which #29?

Keep it here

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

before this thread descends into a whine-fest, let's start it off with some positives:

-Vokoun is a boss. that is all. this was his reaction to the Shero/Bylsma presser:

-the BU goalie was stellar in the Hockey East Tourney.

Quote:
In four playoff games, Maguire posted a .950 save percentage. He was the biggest reason BU survived a period and a half of being dominated by Boston College and came back to win in the semifinals, and he kept the Terriers in a 0-0 tie with Lowell (28-11-2, 16-9-2 Hockey East) for 51 minutes in the finals.
“We weren’t dominating these games at all,” Geragosian said of the postseason. “[Maguire’s play was] a big input in why we went to the finals.”
http://dailyfreepress.com/2013/04/18...okie-campaign/

-Hartzell was a great pick-up.

Quote:
Despite a CBC report Saturday night that they were the front-runners for his services, the Flyers have lost out in the bidding for UFA college goalie Eric Hartzell. Instead, it appears as though Hartzell is heading to ... well, who else? The Pittsburgh Penguins.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...enguins-flyers

-Meloche goes back to his strength: giving awesome interviews

Last edited by Crafton: 06-14-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Sivek

The best thing about Sean Maguire is his gumption. His pads are ridiculously big or at least look like they are. Says something about a man's character when JS Giguere thinks your pads are a bit much.

Also Matt Murray looks malnourished.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Kovifan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
When I was at the draft my friend asked me who the hell is that?

I said a dead man if he's anything but a goalie He is def guant.

Interesting to see how he develops. From everything I've read he seems to be another hot/cold goalie like MAF. I'd assume he's several years away still.

Kovifan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
The best thing about Sean Maguire is his gumption. His pads are ridiculously big or at least look like they are. Says something about a man's character when JS Giguere thinks your pads are a bit much.

is this a regulation sized net or is he just clowing around with a net manufactured for child's play

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2013, 04:33 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
is this a regulation sized net or is he just clowing around with a net manufactured for child's play

Maybe his pads are just that big. And, uh, his head.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 07:38 PM
ericstrat1

Since MAF's body isn't used to working out in the offseason, higher injury risk I'd think if he does actually train this summer.

ericstrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:02 PM
Til the End of Time

aside from the very obvious fact that fleury is not very good and his contract is handicapping this team, another fairly compelling reason to move him is that this locker room needs a bit of a shakeup.

everyone on this team is far too comfortable, far too complacent. moving a popular underachiever like fleury would send everyone a message that they need to produce or get lost, no matter your pedigree or talent level.

i think it says a lot when management wanted fleury to work on certain things last offseason after the flyers debacle but fleury declined. and that the organization accepted that. thats a terrible precedent for the team. getting rid of a bad player like fleury who isnt willing to work on his flaws would be the first to step getting some accountability back in this organization, which is sorely missing.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
aside from the very obvious fact that fleury is not very good and his contract is handicapping this team, another fairly compelling reason to move him is that this locker room needs a bit of a shakeup.

everyone on this team is far too comfortable, far too complacent. moving a popular underachiever like fleury would send everyone a message that they need to produce or get lost, no matter your pedigree or talent level.

i think it says a lot when management wanted fleury to work on certain things last offseason after the flyers debacle but fleury declined. and that the organization accepted that. thats a terrible precedent for the team. getting rid of a bad player like fleury who isnt willing to work on his flaws would be the first to step getting some accountability back in this organization, which is sorely missing.
So, did Fleury accept to work on things this offseason? if not, he needs to go ASAP because that's an "I don't care" attitude.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 08:38 PM
Superstar Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
So, did Fleury accept to work on things this offseason? if not, he needs to go ASAP because that's an "I don't care" attitude.
I think I read somewhere that he plans to focus all his energy this offseason on strengthening the Fleury Flakes brand.

Superstar Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2013, 10:47 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:

Well said. Time to ship up or...shape up.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Fire Shero*

Just out of curiosity, what did the pens tell him to work on last year? What did they tell him to work on this offseason?

I hope a motivational speaker and a therapist are apart of his offseason workout. The guy is mentally weak.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:04 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
I think I read somewhere that he plans to focus all his energy this offseason on strengthening the Fleury Flakes brand.
He better or GTFO, Flake!

Old
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did the pens tell him to work on last year? What did they tell him to work on this offseason?

I hope a motivational speaker and a therapist are apart of his offseason workout. The guy is mentally weak.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-cg0WDB8uI

This guy's my motivation. Fleury needs this guy.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:10 AM
radapex

Quote:

Not sure where you heard that. During one of the first Pens games they covered this season, the guys on HNIC said that Fleury spend the entirety of the lockout and most of the off-season working with Meloche.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
Not sure where you heard that. During one of the first Pens games they covered this season, the guys on HNIC said that Fleury spend the entirety of the lockout and most of the off-season working with Meloche.
during the infamous shero presser, shero mentioned that the penguins wanted/asked fleury to work on certain mental aspects of his game after the flyers debacle last offseason. he was nonspecific as to what that actually meant. he said fleury had declined at that point, but now this offseason he was willing to go along with the pens recommendations.

shero was basically defending fleury and saying this offseason would be different, that he would finally turn over a new leaf, but in doing so he let slip that fleury is a slug who refused to put in the work after delivering one of the worst goaltending performances of all-time.

so basically fleury is a loser and shero is a fool for finding fleury's behavior acceptable.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 12:52 PM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

It doesn't matter what we do in front of MAF this offseason. If they skate him out there as THE guy, again, we're screwed. It's asinine to think that after the past few seasons, especially the last 2, that Fleury has any public support, from anyone in Pittsburgh.

I really hope it's to try and get somebody to give up something of value for him, and not because they actually think he can lead us to glory.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 07:07 PM
Jacob

At this point I think it's less likely that Fleury regains whatever playoff form he once had and more likely that his post-season issues start bleeding over into the regular season.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:31 AM
BigEezyE22

Quote:
during the infamous shero presser, shero mentioned that the penguins wanted/asked fleury to work on certain mental aspects of his game after the flyers debacle last offseason. he was nonspecific as to what that actually meant. he said fleury had declined at that point, but now this offseason he was willing to go along with the pens recommendations.

shero was basically defending fleury and saying this offseason would be different, that he would finally turn over a new leaf, but in doing so he let slip that fleury is a slug who refused to put in the work after delivering one of the worst goaltending performances of all-time.

so basically fleury is a loser and shero is a fool for finding fleury's behavior acceptable.
Hey, look! One line in a press conference and we're an expert on what happened in the offseason!

BigEezyE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 09:15 AM
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President

For starters, Wild inquired about acquiring Fleury. There's definite interest from at least 1 team ;-)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/212573481.html

SprootsMasterFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Penguins87

Get fluery out of here burgh plz

Penguins87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Again, everything in a sane, rational, intelligent person's brain says to get rid of Fleury and move on.

But it won't happen. We've said it for a LONG time. Fleury is going to be around for the remainder of his contract, sadly.

Mediocrity is apparently acceptable in this organization now. It's sad, but the way Shero, Lemieux and Burkle adamantly defended and even touted Bylsma and his coaching staff, along with Fleury, is just sickening.

Swept by the Bruins, scoring two goals in the entire series? **** it, two-year extensions for the coaching staff, pep-rally for Fleury, and a pizza party at Coach Dan's!

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 11:14 AM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
For starters, Wild inquired about acquiring Fleury. There's definite interest from at least 1 team ;-)

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/212573481.html
Fleury for Parise!

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Again, everything in a sane, rational, intelligent person's brain says to get rid of Fleury and move on.

But it won't happen. We've said it for a LONG time. Fleury is going to be around for the remainder of his contract, sadly.

Mediocrity is apparently acceptable in this organization now. It's sad, but the way Shero, Lemieux and Burkle adamantly defended and even touted Bylsma and his coaching staff, along with Fleury, is just sickening.

Swept by the Bruins, scoring two goals in the entire series? **** it, two-year extensions for the coaching staff, pep-rally for Fleury, and a pizza party at Coach Dan's!
Let me preface this by saying I'm one of the most vocal advocates of Bylsma being fired. I'm seriously contemplating not even watching any games next year because they brought the guy back. So I'm certainly not a fan of his.

Having said that, I can at least see why Shero might want to stick with him. Perhaps they share the same ... philosophy about how the team should play, or something. Or maybe Shero really did buy into the "we just didn't get the bounces" excuse. In any case, I don't agree with the decision AT ALL, but I can sort of see why Shero might keep Bylsma.

Shero's insistence on keeping Fleury, however, is the one that absolutely boggles my mind. Fleury has chocked in the playoffs pretty much every season since winning the Cup in '09. He followed up the Philadelphia debacle by once again playing like a sieve against the Islanders. At what point is enough enough? How many player series does Fleury have to look like he doesn't even belong in the NHL before Shero decides to cut ties and move on?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2013, 08:43 PM
DawgPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Shero's insistence on keeping Fleury, however, is the one that absolutely boggles my mind. Fleury has chocked in the playoffs pretty much every season since winning the Cup in '09. He followed up the Philadelphia debacle by once again playing like a sieve against the Islanders. At what point is enough enough? How many player series does Fleury have to look like he doesn't even belong in the NHL before Shero decides to cut ties and move on?
I too feel that Fleury's time as a Penguin has passed. However, I don't think it is just an easy matter of buying Fleury out. For argument's sake, let's suppose the money is available and support from the top is in place. All well and good, and Fleury can flake out elsewhere.

However, the Penguins now have a goaltending problem. Vokoun can be part of the solution (for 2013-14), and maybe a big part, but I don't see him as much more than a 1A option. But who will be 1B? One of the guys in the AHL? They're unproven commodities at the NHL level, and while it is fine to say that they can learn on the job, what if they don't? A free agent? The Penguin's experience with the UFA market the past few years doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence in their being able to get a replacement. Moreover, if the price tag is $4 or $5 million, it really doesn't help with the salary cap this coming year.

I think what Shero may be doing is looking for other options that involve a trade. I sure hope that's what he's doing. The Minnesota and Islanders rumors may lead nowhere, but they suggest that something may be going on. I still like the idea of trading Fleury for Hiller (though I don't want to see Letang used for that purpose, and I'm not sure how all the cap details work out if you add other parts).

But if Shero is shopping Fleury, we shouldn't expect him to be openly critical of MAF in public right now. All of the public support we are hearing may not mean much if Shero gets the right deal on the table. At this point I am willing to wait and see (not that I have any other option in any case...).

DawgPens is online now   Reply With Quote