HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ray Shero - 2013 GM of the Year Winner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2013, 06:34 PM
  #76
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
You can't tell me Staal down low would have helped us a lot more than Sutter & his chip the puck in to get muscled off it a second later move. Yes Sutter is better defensively but he was really bad at possessing the puck in their zone. He played more like a 4th line center than a 3rd line one.

There's no denying Shero was in a bad situation with Staal once it leaked he turned down that deal. I'm just saying that the assets gained in that trade were more future ones than ones for this year. It is GM of the year.

WRT to Staal all I'm saying is we had plenty of awful looking games with him in the lineup under Disco, playoffs included. He may have been a help or it may not have mattered at all. Hard to say given our recent track record.

WRT to Sutter playing under his ability, I agree. But it was his first playoff run I believe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he's weak on the puck next playoff too I'll start to worry. Unfortunately I don't think he's the type who can put on a lot of muscle (which he'd be wise to put on 10 or 12 lbs if he can this summer). Just naturally skinny, unlike Staal.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
  #77
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Morrow looked really good at the end of the regular season. I don't know if he ran out of gas or Crosby's return forced him out of a productive role, but if he had been able to maintain that performance in the playoffs, that wouldn't have been a bad trade at all.
Looking good during the dieing weeks of the regular season is a lot different than doing it in the playoffs.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
  #78
Ziggyjoe21
Registered User
 
Ziggyjoe21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Pitt
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 7,268
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
WRT to Staal all I'm saying is we had plenty of awful looking games with him in the lineup under Disco, playoffs included. He may have been a help or it may not have mattered at all. Hard to say given our recent track record.

WRT to Sutter playing under his ability, I agree. But it was his first playoff run I believe. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. If he's weak on the puck next playoff too I'll start to worry. Unfortunately I don't think he's the type who can put on a lot of muscle (which he'd be wise to put on 10 or 12 lbs if he can this summer). Just naturally skinny, unlike Staal.
I like Staal and was a Staal defender when he was here, but you can't justify paying him $6 mill when Malkin, Tang, and Dupuis need pay raises. Sutter+Letang is better than Staal and no Letang. Considering the situation, it was a great trade then and a great trade now.

Ziggyjoe21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:24 PM
  #79
Fire Shero*
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,423
vCash: 500
Sighing that piece of **** Bylsma to a 2 - year extension was something a GM of the year wouldn't do. Keeping fleury surely isn't either, I'm just waiting to hear Fleury is signed to an extension and Letang is traded for future puck moving dmen who will be worth something in 5 years.

Fire Shero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:44 AM
  #80
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Someone's mad their GM didn't win.
Not really, matter of fact not at all. There is only one award our organization strives for under this regime. It is big and shiny and that is the philosophy that we have. TEAM before self and I think you saw the results of that. I wonder if anyone here would trade their awards for the big shiny one....Probably not.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:05 AM
  #81
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I helped you out some since your memory seems a little hazy.
You did ?...I disagree...You don't want another large contract for an underachieving dman ? Like Martin ? Or is it that the GM just feels he does not really need dman at all that can well.....actually play defense. Yet, you have no problem overpaying large contracts for underachieving forwards. Oh, I got it. Now I am starting to understand. 19 million for 0-0-0 minus 9 is ok but God forbid we pay Scuderi a few extra bucs for his tremendous playoffs. I was wrong all along, sorry. Lets all watch Scuderi go be an instrumental part in someone else's cup win. I am starting to understand how it works here. Funny also as I read many many of the post's here that many actually agree with me. Penguins fans. The shine is wearing thin on the GM here. I am just a fan of the game agreeing with half of the board here. Sorry if I bothered you.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
  #82
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
You did ?...I disagree...You don't want another large contract for an underachieving dman ? Like Martin ? Or is it that the GM just feels he does not really need dman at all that can well.....actually play defense. Yet, you have no problem overpaying large contracts for underachieving forwards. Oh, I got it. Now I am starting to understand. 19 million for 0-0-0 minus 9 is ok but God forbid we pay Scuderi a few extra bucs for his tremendous playoffs. I was wrong all along, sorry. Lets all watch Scuderi go be an instrumental part in someone else's cup win. I am starting to understand how it works here. Funny also as I read many many of the post's here that many actually agree with me. Penguins fans. The shine is wearing thin on the GM here. I am just a fan of the game agreeing with half of the board here. Sorry if I bothered you.
You are bothering all of us by coming in with your **** attitude about our organization. I don't go to your team's board and call out your players. Shero won the GM of the year award. You disagree wit the results. Good for you.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:07 AM
  #83
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I helped you out some since your memory seems a little hazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
You are bothering all of us by coming in with your **** attitude about our organization. I don't go to your team's board and call out your players. Shero won the GM of the year award. You disagree wit the results. Good for you.
That's not true, I just made a few points that I felt were valid. And again, many Pens fans are saying the exact thing I said. I did not come to call out anyone nor did I. Nobody but Pens fans can say they think Shero did not deserve the award ? Then sorry. I will leave. I will be busy over he next few days anyway. Sorry for trying to talk hockey.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:38 AM
  #84
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
That's not true, I just made a few points that I felt were valid. And again, many Pens fans are saying the exact thing I said. I did not come to call out anyone nor did I. Nobody but Pens fans can say they think Shero did not deserve the award ? Then sorry. I will leave. I will be busy over he next few days anyway. Sorry for trying to talk hockey.
There is a level of disrespect in your post. You basically called Sid and Geno overpaid, underachieving players and none of our defenseman can play defense. How is that valuable to the conversation? I have no problem with other team's fans coming in to give their opinion, but when your opinion includes trashing our entire team, you are bordering on trolling.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:43 AM
  #85
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma
 
Beauner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
That's not true, I just made a few points that I felt were valid. And again, many Pens fans are saying the exact thing I said. I did not come to call out anyone nor did I. Nobody but Pens fans can say they think Shero did not deserve the award ? Then sorry. I will leave. I will be busy over he next few days anyway. Sorry for trying to talk hockey.
You are not coming here to talk hockey. You're just taking shots at our team. And stop referring to the Penguins as "we". You're obviously not a fan of this team so stop pretending to be so we think you're one of us.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
  #86
pucky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
I still don't see why he's the 2013 GM of the year over other GMs. His trades at the deadline didn't do much and they were horrible, as a team, against the Bruins.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:54 AM
  #87
pucky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerz View Post
Sighing that piece of **** Bylsma to a 2 - year extension was something a GM of the year wouldn't do. Keeping fleury surely isn't either, I'm just waiting to hear Fleury is signed to an extension and Letang is traded for future puck moving dmen who will be worth something in 5 years.
Agreed. Awarding it to Shero makes no sense.

pucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
  #88
Shady Machine
Registered User
 
Shady Machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
I still don't see why he's the 2013 GM of the year over other GMs. His trades at the deadline didn't do much and they were horrible, as a team, against the Bruins.
Considering the award is voted on before the playoffs start, it makes perfect sense.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:11 AM
  #89
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks
 
Cardboard Orpik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 1,343
vCash: 500
One aspect that people aren't really acknowledging is that Shero's draft picks, Despres and Bennett, proved they could play at a high level this year. I know that's not as sexy a subject as all the trade deadline stuff but I think we're all excited about Bennett and he's Shero's guy.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 10:06 AM
  #90
DawgPens
Registered User
 
DawgPens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
New Directions

I have recently come to realize that I am to blame for our awful post-2009 playoff performances ...

During the 2010 playoffs, I grew a playoff beard that I have retained ever since. I guess I should have known it was ill-fated when I attended game 7 of the Montreal-Penguins series, and Sid took a penalty in the first minute, but I chalked that game and series loss up to other factors. However, seeing the Pens once again bow out before their due time this year, I have (finally!) come to realize my folly.

Yesterday, I shaved the damn thing off. When we win the cup next spring, I expect to be suitably appreciated ...


DawgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
  #91
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
There is a level of disrespect in your post. You basically called Sid and Geno overpaid, underachieving players and none of our defenseman can play defense. How is that valuable to the conversation? I have no problem with other team's fans coming in to give their opinion, but when your opinion includes trashing our entire team, you are bordering on trolling.
I do not mean to be disrespectful, however much like you calling Bowmeester over paid I think people are entitled to think Sid and Geno are as well. I happen to think Chris Kelly and Tyler Seguin are also overpaid. Is that being disrespectful ? Malkin is a great great player, in the offensive zone. I don't think much of him back checking. Now I do not begrudge an organizational philosophy so if Shero wants to give the guy that then so be it. But 9.5 million going forward is a little rich for me. I am from the school that offense wins games and defense wins championships and this started where I said Shero made a bad mistake not paying Scuderi. I also think when the PENS won the cup they had GILL and SCUDERI stabilizing the D and since they got rid of them both after winning the cup and have not replaced them...They have had trouble getting beck despite a great offense. As far as your DMEN.....LETANG and MARTIN are fine...But not exactly defensive guys. I think instead of getting Jerome and Morrow....Your GM of the year should have just let Bennett (Who I like a lot) play and concentrated on some defensive defenseman who could skate and move the puck. IMO, they need two guys like the Rangers have in McDonough and Girardi....Then they would be a complete team. It will be interesting to see what the GM of the years does about his D going forward. So far he has acted as if he was fine with the way things turned out.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
  #92
#1GuinFan
Registered User
 
#1GuinFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: canada
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 3116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
I do not mean to be disrespectful, however much like you calling Bowmeester over paid I think people are entitled to think Sid and Geno are as well. I happen to think Chris Kelly and Tyler Seguin are also overpaid. Is that being disrespectful ? Malkin is a great great player, in the offensive zone. I don't think much of him back checking.
May want to watch some pens games.. or watch those ones you are watching a little closer, it will help you understand why Malkin is consistently a takeaway leader on this team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojakees View Post
As far as your DMEN.....LETANG and MARTIN are fine...But not exactly defensive guys. I think instead of getting Jerome and Morrow....Your GM of the year should have just let Bennett (Who I like a lot) play and concentrated on some defensive defenseman who could skate and move the puck. IMO, they need two guys like the Rangers have in McDonough and Girardi.....
If Martin is not a defensive guy, what is he exactly? Again I'll suggest you watch a Pens game or two. If your basing this off of last years viewings, then you may have a leg to stand on, but since theres been a season since then in which Martin was our TOP defensemen in the d-zone your argument is very much baseless.
As far as deadline acquisitions go, we did acquire that defensive guy named Douglas Murray, you seem to be conveniently overlooking that.

Expressing opinion of another teams players is fine, but its a different ballgame when its a so obviously uneducated opinion. This reminds me of the great Luca Caputi debate several years back, when he was getting pimped because of his stats, but not based on any viewings.

#1GuinFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  #93
Waffle Fries
Registered User
 
Waffle Fries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 9,949
vCash: 500
Oh Luca Caputi. Trading him away was the worst move Ray has ever made

Waffle Fries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:17 PM
  #94
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,583
vCash: 500
the biggest flaw in our defense against Boston was the lack of mobility and support in the offensive zone. We were playing 3 on 5 on offense. We had Eaton, Orpik, Murray, Engelland and Niskanen all playing with absolutely no offensive zone contribution. If we wanted to improve our defense, we should have played Despres.

If Shero had a problem with this acquisitions, it was getting slower with forwards that in the end didn't really end up adding much grit or even skill to make up for it.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:40 PM
  #95
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1GuinFan View Post
May want to watch some pens games.. or watch those ones you are watching a little closer, it will help you understand why Malkin is consistently a takeaway leader on this team



If Martin is not a defensive guy, what is he exactly? Again I'll suggest you watch a Pens game or two. If your basing this off of last years viewings, then you may have a leg to stand on, but since theres been a season since then in which Martin was our TOP defensemen in the d-zone your argument is very much baseless.
As far as deadline acquisitions go, we did acquire that defensive guy named Douglas Murray, you seem to be conveniently overlooking that.

Expressing opinion of another teams players is fine, but its a different ballgame when its a so obviously uneducated opinion. This reminds me of the great Luca Caputi debate several years back, when he was getting pimped because of his stats, but not based on any viewings.
Malkin is a takeway leader on the team ?.....Tell ya what. Why don't you show me. I see he is a PLUS 5 which is one of the lowest on the team while Sid is PLUS 26...Hmmm...You need to show me. BTW...SCUDERI was the best takeaway guy on the team. So why was he not offered a contract ? Plus, is it a coincidence that since Scuderi left FLEURY has turned into a disaster. Show me that stat.

Douglas Murray....This is your guy ? I wonder why San Jose dumped him. Slow as a slug. As for Martin....His next physical presence will be his first.

Besides...Why would the GM of the year not pay Scuderi his most valuable guy and pay Martin ? Just a bad move that's why...You gotta get me that MALKIN takaway stat. I want to be as educated as you.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:48 PM
  #96
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,583
vCash: 500
Paul Martin is a better hockey player than Rob Scuderi. I love Scuds, but Scuderi's next crisp pass will be his first.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
  #97
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Second on the team this year. And a +2 regarding giveaways vs. takeaways. Crosby was a -13, in comparison. And he's considered the far better defensive/responsible player. Malkin was also second on the team (one back from Sutter) in takeaways in the post season... and a +4 in giveaway/takeaway. Feel free to adjust the seasons. You'll notice in all the years that he's healthy, he's right at the top of the list in takeaways.

Will you PLEASE show yourself OUT, now and maybe WATCH some of the GAMES before you make YOURSELF look any SILLIER than you ALREADY have? THANKS!

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
  #98
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder
 
Ogrezilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 32,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tssPlayerStats

Second on the team this year. And a +2 regarding giveaways vs. takeaways. Crosby was a -13, in comparison. And he's considered the far better defensive/responsible player. Malkin was also second on the team (one back from Sutter) in takeaways in the post season... and a +4 in giveaway/takeaway. Feel free to adjust the seasons. You'll notice in all the years that he's healthy, he's right at the top of the list in takeaways.

Will you PLEASE show yourself OUT, now and maybe WATCH some of the GAMES before you make YOURSELF look any SILLIER than you ALREADY have? THANKS!
Malkin kind of goes back and forth. When he's in his beast mode, he's a great defensive forward. He isn't always in beast mode though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  #99
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,077
vCash: 500
Certainly not. I wouldn't even call him a great defensive forward. Probably a little underrated in that regard, though. Much like Mario, though... he is one of the best in the sport defensively when he's fully invested in the game. Which sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. Frustrations you put up with when it comes to ultra-talented "flow" players, I guess.

But he's still absolutely a yearly leader in takeaways on this team. Malkin thrives on coming back and hounding the puck carrier in the neutral zone and high in the offensive zone, especially. Particularly right after that puck carrier has stifled a scoring chance that Malkin was just involved in.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:55 PM
  #100
Bojakees*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1GuinFan View Post
May want to watch some pens games.. or watch those ones you are watching a little closer, it will help you understand why Malkin is consistently a takeaway leader on this team



If Martin is not a defensive guy, what is he exactly? Again I'll suggest you watch a Pens game or two. If your basing this off of last years viewings, then you may have a leg to stand on, but since theres been a season since then in which Martin was our TOP defensemen in the d-zone your argument is very much baseless.
As far as deadline acquisitions go, we did acquire that defensive guy named Douglas Murray, you seem to be conveniently overlooking that.

Expressing opinion of another teams players is fine, but its a different ballgame when its a so obviously uneducated opinion. This reminds me of the great Luca Caputi debate several years back, when he was getting pimped because of his stats, but not based on any viewings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Paul Martin is a better hockey player than Rob Scuderi. I love Scuds, but Scuderi's next crisp pass will be his first.
http://cityofchampionssports.com/201...deris-absence/

I do not know how much the writer is respected but he seems to have the STATS to back up his article as apposed to the Fandom opinions going on here. I deal in fact guys...Like I said...Scuderi has another cup since he left and Fleury has fell apart...Someone has to explain how and why if you want to slap me around.

Bojakees* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.