HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXVIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 10:24 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

vCash: 500
#22 and #28 are their other 1st.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

It will definitely take a huge overpayment for any team in the Top 4 to move its pick. That's good news I guess.

#6 + #20 + #27 + Giordano for #1

#6 + #27 for #4?

We draft Barkov/Drouin at #4 and still come out with Giordano for the Back end. And someone like Rychel/Hagg/Lazar/Erne/etc at #20.

I would make those moves.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 50
Don't want Giordano. Smaller physical defenders playing his style don't last long beyond 30 and he's already slowing down.

I think Flames would have to add Baertchi for Avs to consider it. I think Avs have their minds set on Jones and it would take something exceptional for them to change course.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:32 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

If Flames had the 3rd, I'd accept that. If they had the 4th, I'd think about it long and hard, but probably end up saying no.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:39 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
What are the chances of Varly going back to Russia once his contract is up?

You look at the defenses we have put in front of him, he can't be too happy about it.

I only say this because everyone talks about the future like it's guaranteed that Varly will still be with us, and he had a stellar year overseas this year during the lockout, so I would assume he is at least considering it.
absolutely none. if he failed with us he'll have no shortage of suitors for his services. i doubt he's anywhere in the next 10-15 years but Colorado. his problem is between the ears and needing to have someone coach him. Giggy helped the first year but he couldn't do it all the time.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Seems like Friedman also said that it seems the top four is set and the teams don't want to trade their picks.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:02 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Don't want Giordano. Smaller physical defenders playing his style don't last long beyond 30 and he's already slowing down.
Wilson fits this comment pretty well, and hes what 26?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Wilson fits this comment pretty well, and hes what 26?
Yep. He even changed the way he's hitting and mostly uses his ass/hips and not shoulders anymore.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Seems like Friedman also said that it seems the top four is set and the teams don't want to trade their picks.
Good. Take Jones and be done with it.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Friedman:

"It sounds like Colorado, Florida, Tampa and Nashville are not willing to move. If anywhere very small parts at all. The team people are focusing on is Carolina at number five. There is a belief that Hurricanes will move that pick, I think Edmonton has talked to them, if the offer is good enough".

Old
06-16-2013, 12:22 AM
AvsWraith

If Buffalo was able to acquire say the 5th pick from the Canes and offered all three for #1, would anyone do it?

#5, #8, and #16, or would you still need more?

Old
06-16-2013, 12:23 AM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
If Buffalo was able to acquire say the 5th pick from the Canes and offered all three for #1, would anyone do it?

#5, #8, and #16, or would you still need more?

Old
06-16-2013, 12:44 AM
AvsWraith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
MOAR
So... 2 of Nichushkin, Lindholm, Monahan, Ristolainen, Nurse, Zadorov, Horvat

1 of Wennberg, Burahowsky, Zykov, Gauthier, Pulock

What else? Their 2nd, Grigorenko, Armia, a not signed Vanek, Miller, Ennis, or Stafford.

What kind of crazy deal does it take for Roy and Sakic to say "I just can't say no to this."

Old
06-16-2013, 01:06 AM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

It all comes down to how much we trust our own scouting.

Trading a #1 for three other first rounders can be great, can also be awful. History tells us that a lot of these certain first rounders wont even make to the NHL. That's just how it goes. If it's Nurse, Zadorov, Wennberg, Pulock, Lazar... who knows. But a handfull of these players will turn out to be busts. But, as history also tells us. You can get a superstar late in the 1st round too. Like Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, Giroux etc. Just gotta pick the right one. Making that trade with Calgary could be a massive success. But also massive failure.

Are we ready to gamble? How much do we trust our scouting? Those questions are the ones to ask ourself.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:27 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

Trading a #1 for three other first rounders can be great, can also be awful. History tells us that a lot of these certain first rounders wont even make to the NHL. That's just how it goes. If it's Nurse, Zadorov, Wennberg, Pulock, Lazar... who knows. But a handfull of these players will turn out to be busts. But, as history also tells us. You can get a superstar late in the 1st round too. Like Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, Giroux etc. Just gotta pick the right one. Making that trade with Calgary could be a massive success. But also massive failure.

Are we ready to gamble? How much do we trust our scouting? Those questions are the ones to ask ourself.
The team cannot afford to gamble, the biggest gamble they need to make is Seth Jones turning into a franchise defender. You can flip a coin as to if your going to get a core player beyond #5 in this draft all the way down to probably the top 10. After that, it's more of a shot in the dark.

If even some general scouting was good enough to spot these star players late in the draft the players wouldn't have fallen as late as they did. Those teams got lucky at the roulette table. One single teams scouting department didn't know something all the other teams missed.

Just like we got LUCKY with O'Reilly, we had him ranked higher in the draft but I highly doubt we would have picked him at #15 or something like that if we had the chance.

NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO,NO, we need quality not quantity no matter how anyone spins it.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:40 AM
cgf
Fire Bednar

I'm pretty sure the Avs would have picked Radar 15th, teams have different draft boards and the avs have shown that they'll pick off board for their guy like they did with Hishon.

Either way I hope we keep the pick unless Buffalo manages to trade into the top 4 and then offers us Vanek, Foligno and a top 4 pick for Davey Jones, Zanon and 1st overall. Otherwise just pick Seth first or second.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:53 AM
AvsWraith

I think it also has to do with whether or not you believe this is indeed the deepest draft since 2003. A lot of people call the draft deep every year, so it's a judgement call.

3 first rounders from 2003 in that range would insane. Vanek, Suter, Carter, Richards, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Burns, Kesler ect. Again, no guarantee that this draft would be like that though.

Last edited by AvsWraith: 06-16-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old
06-16-2013, 01:55 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'm pretty sure the Avs would have picked Radar 15th, teams have different draft boards and the avs have shown that they'll pick off board for their guy like they did with Hishon.

Either way I hope we keep the pick unless Buffalo manages to trade into the top 4 and then offers us Vanek, Foligno and a top 4 pick for Davey Jones, Zanon and 1st overall. Otherwise just pick Seth first or second.
I'd actually just like to see us swap #1 for #2 + #31, That's if Florida would do it, they might if we really have them convinced we might trade #1 to a team who wants Mackinnon.

#31 & #32 could probably get us another 1st round pick easily.

It's perfect really, alleviates the pressure off of Colorado and Seth Jones of being the #1 over all pick, and gets us another good asset. Nothing else needs to happen IMO.

Old
06-16-2013, 02:18 AM
cgf
Fire Bednar

Yeah I've always just assumed all this Avs might trade their pick talk was just posturing to get Tallon into giving something up to swap picks. While they team wouldn't so no to a Lindros-esque offer, I don't think they really have any intention of trading the pick to anyone other than Florida.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Ceremony
If not now when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs View Post
What are the chances of Varly going back to Russia once his contract is up?
Nil.

06-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Nil.
I wouldn't say nil. If he totally fails next season, I could see him going back to Russia. He's hero there and he would be paid a lot of money. If he fails to make it NHL as #1 goaltender, I think he will leave NHL at some point.

Just my guess though.

Old
06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Hesher
Sagan for President

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
I wouldn't say nil. If he totally fails next season, I could see him going back to Russia. He's hero there and he would be paid a lot of money. If he fails to make it NHL as #1 goaltender, I think he will leave NHL at some point.

Just my guess though.
Pretty much this.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:19 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

Give me the player with the franchise potential, over 3 players with good upside.

Yeah, you can occasionally find a late first round gem, but most of the franchise players come out of the top of the first round.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:22 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsWraith View Post
I think it also has to do with whether or not you believe this is indeed the deepest draft since 2003. A lot of people call the draft deep every year, so it's a judgement call.

3 first rounders from 2003 in that range would insane. Vanek, Suter, Carter, Richards, Seabrook, Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, Burns, Kesler ect. Again, no guarantee that this draft would be like that though.

Scouts backed off that claim months ago.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...of-talent.html
2013 NHL draft lacks depth of talent
There’s good news and bad news for teams getting off to sluggish starts this lockout-shortened season. The good news is there’s some high-end young talent available in the 2013 NHL draft – Nathan MacKinnon, Seth Jones and Jonathan Drouin at the head of the class – for the bottom-feeders to feast on. The bad news? Contrary to popular belief, the 2013 draft isn’t nearly as deep as scouts initially projected the past couple of seasons.

Old
06-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Ceremony
If not now when

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post

Just my guess though.
Still nil.

Closed Thread