HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman to...Dartmouth Next Year

Closed Thread

Old
05-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Have to take your time on Jessiman. Power Forwards commonly take more time to develop, plus he just missed a full season. Basically he has 2 years of college hockey to his name. I would figure one more year in college, then a year in Hartford. After that, he should be pretty close to nailing down a spot on the roster.

Old
05-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Levitate

hopefully...i'm fairly nervous about his next year, even if i do like to think he'll be a good player (i guess i'm just an optimist at heart)

but if he doesn't do well or just does mediocre next year...things aren't gonna be looking too good.

Old
05-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Then why did they have him ranked 4th overall on their charts? They obviously feel/felt he could be a dominate player. You don't rank a guy 4th to be a decent 2nd liner especially in a draft like that.
Like I said a realistic view is that there will come out one top 10 scorer in every draft, not 15 or 30. With 30 teams in the league and 3 players on a line the avg. 1st line forwards scores somewhere around 55 points, a below avg. 1st line player had 45 points last year. The avg. 2nd line player scored 35 points per game. A player that can score 50-55 points a game, create room for his teammates with his size is a pretty darn good pick IMO. Something we defenitly need and don't have any alternatives to in the org.

Do Jessiman defenitly don't look like he anytime soon is gooing to turn it around and become a Tkachuk type. He never have...

Old
05-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Like I said a realistic view is that there will come out one top 10 scorer in every draft, not 15 or 30. With 30 teams in the league and 3 players on a line the avg. 1st line forwards scores somewhere around 55 points, a below avg. 1st line player had 45 points last year. The avg. 2nd line player scored 35 points per game. A player that can score 50-55 points a game, create room for his teammates with his size is a pretty darn good pick IMO. Something we defenitly need and don't have any alternatives to in the org.

Do Jessiman defenitly don't look like he anytime soon is gooing to turn it around and become a Tkachuk type. He never have...
I'm not saying he will be a top 10 scorer or even top 40. However, most teams in a strong draft that have a guy ranked #4 see him as a legit first line threat. The Rangers seemingly liked Parise a lot, and thought he was a player. Why did they take Hugh? They clearly felt he would be the better player. The next two years will be huge for his development. I would be happy if he could establish himself on either of the top two lines in the NHL.

I don't know about "turning it around," let's get him in the ECAC for a full year next season before we judge what needs to change. Physically he's in great shape, is huge, and seems to have a terrific attitude so I look forward to seeing him in Manhatten in 2-3 years.

Old
05-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Fletch

I think many hope...

that Jessiman will have Tkachuk/Bertuzzi-type affect on the ice, and that is a 25-40 goal scorer that is physical and will open up the ice for others. If he's not that, then I'm not sure what his NHL role would end up looking like. He was drafted off some pretty good freshman numbers which he didn't expand upon, partly because of the double and triple teaming, supposedly, and also because of last season's injuries. Right now it's tough to say what the Rangers have in Jessiman. And if healthy this season, it will obviously tell us a lot.

Old
05-31-2005, 08:02 PM
Levitate

actually i'm not sure why he was compared to bertuzzi or Tkachuk...his game really isn't like either one. he's not a hugely physical guy like bertuzzi or tkachuk that's going to punish the other team with huge body checks and dirty physical play...he's a very good passer with an excellent wrist shot, good skating, and good size he knows how to use...i think the best comparison i've heard is thornton (though not as good as thornton...not many are) in terms of style.

Old
06-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
actually i'm not sure why he was compared to bertuzzi or Tkachuk...his game really isn't like either one. he's not a hugely physical guy like bertuzzi or tkachuk that's going to punish the other team with huge body checks and dirty physical play...he's a very good passer with an excellent wrist shot, good skating, and good size he knows how to use...i think the best comparison i've heard is thornton (though not as good as thornton...not many are) in terms of style.
I would compare him to Freddy Modin. Though Modin have the better shoot and Jessiman could develop into a better playmaking winger. They are both agile and moves really well for their size and have good hands. Though neiter of them will ever beat a defensemen one on one in the NHL anyother way then with their size.

Old
06-01-2005, 10:27 AM
Levitate

how's modin's wrist shot? i just know we always hear about his slapshot...jessiman has a killer wrist shot

Old
06-01-2005, 10:34 AM
Ola

Quote:
how's modin's wrist shot? i just know we always hear about his slapshot...jessiman has a killer wrist shot
I think its decent. Many players have good wristshoots though. But timeing is probably 90% of the wristshoot. I think thats also a big problem for Modins slapper, it takes some time to get it off.

Näslund for example scores a ton with his, though the velocity isn't that high. Hopefully Jessiman will learn the how&when's!

Old
06-01-2005, 02:19 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
If by big scorer you mean top 10 in the league then I disagree. His size and desire seem like two things that could really help him succeed even if his numbers are just average for a 2nd liner. I think he could be a real asset to a slick center. I'm glad he's staying at Hartford after missing a season. He can get back on track then step to the AHL next year... I'd rather him not be rushed. We won't contend for the playoffs for another 2-3 seasons anyway.

By big scorer, they probably expect him to score 30-35 goals. I am not sure about the points. But when they selected him, they did so thinking they could have a future guy who could be relied on to score goals.

If he doesn't evolve into that, it would be disappointing.

Old
06-01-2005, 02:40 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

You make a very valid assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
At least he has the attitude. I've said this many times. People said "Who knows if David Wright (Mets) will reach his potential." when he was first drafted. He isn't the biggest, strongest, fastest. But the kid has taught me something. Good character and terrific work ethic will get you there. From what I've seen with Jessiman, he has the same mentality.
You can not teach character and work ethic. As players progress in their development the difference in the skill sets narrow and this is where a player's character and work ethic transcend into desire and perseverance. There are plenty of players who fail because they lose sight of their goal. They let setbacks upset their mental capacity to push on and stay focused.
I've been saying that both Jessiman & Montoya need to get signed and take the next step. At this stage I really don't care if Jessiman or Montoya dominate at the NCAA level. If we as an organization did not have the people on board that we now have in the organization I would be all for leaving them stay in college. People keep harking back to young players that we rushed. They were rushed because we had so many holes throughout the whole organization. I do not think that is the case anymore.

Old
06-01-2005, 02:43 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Your're right the more accurate comparison in terms of style

Quote:
would be Joe Thornton.

Old
06-01-2005, 04:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
would be Joe Thornton.
Hugh does not nearly play the physical game that Thorton does and does not have a mean streak like Thorton has either.

Old
06-01-2005, 04:32 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Hugh does not nearly play the physical game that Thorton does and does not have a mean streak like Thorton has either.
Hopefully that is something that can be, shall we say, instilled in him.
Samething with Falardeau. He's a big guy that doesn't use his body to his advantage. That is the best way I can put it. I have heard that Huge on occassion lays the body on. I saw one game last year when he was effective using his body. He nailed a guy along the side boards. I think players like Lindros have shown that there is a negative side to a gifted offensive player playing so physical.

Old
06-01-2005, 04:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Samething with Falardeau. He's a big guy that doesn't use his body to his advantage.
Falardeau is different than Hugh. Hugh at least seems to use his body to his advantage. Falardeau does not make any effort to do so. Falardeau remains a waste of space.

Old
06-01-2005, 04:48 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I think players like Lindros have shown that there is a negative side to a gifted offensive player playing so physical.
Lindros never got hurt when he was out trying ot nail someone. He got hurt because far too often he had his head down coming through the neutral zone.

Old
06-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Levitate

Quote:
dunno, i don't ever seem to catch thornton playing a real physical game or displaying a decent mean streak. maybe he tries but i don't have any recollection of him being terribly effective at it. the way you seem to be describing him, thornton's would be the first name thought of when someone said "power forward" yet i rarely see this put forward

Old
06-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Olorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Lindros never got hurt when he was out trying ot nail someone. He got hurt because far too often he had his head down coming through the neutral zone.
I believe he suffered a concussion by initiating a hit in a game against San Jose. I think Matt Bradley was the player.

Old
06-01-2005, 10:20 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I believe he suffered a concussion by initiating a hit in a game against San Jose. I think Matt Bradley was the player.
that was cuz he whacked himself in the head with his own stick on the play if i remember correctly

Old
06-01-2005, 11:00 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
I have no problem with it. With a project like Jessiman, it's better not to rush his development. It's not as if the NYR need him to be the missing piece to the puzzle the next few seasons. Last season was basically a lost year for Hugh so another year at Dartnouth can't hurt.
I agree I also think from the lost season this year it would a good idea. Another reason would be that I feel it would be A good idea for him to finish his education as well.

Old
06-02-2005, 09:33 AM
bigblue21

Just so you guys know, I wouldn't expect Jessiman to dominate next year. If he gets 40 points I would consider it a great success. In every year of his college career thus far he has played on a line with Lee Stempniak, who almost always outscored him and attracted the defense's attention. With Stempniak's graduation, Jessiman will have opponents all over him at all times. Simply to judge him by his point totals is ridiculous. I have seen him play in many an ECAC game and he constantly draws the attention of 2 opponents.

As a side note, his wrist shot is on another level than that of almost any other player in the ECAC...except maybe Matt Moulson (go red!)

Old
06-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Fletch

Nj...

if Jessiman is drawing two defenders on most occasions, how does Stempiak draw the defense to him and open it up for Jessiman? I had heard that in his second year he was often double and triple-teamed, which opened the ice for others. You confirmed that in the last sentence that says 'I have seen him play in many an ECAC game and he constantly draws the attention of 2 opponents'. That contradicts the previous two sentences '...Lee Stempniak, who almost always outscored him and attracted the defense's attention. With Stempniak's graduation, Jessiman will have opponents all over him at all times'. Which is it?

Old
06-02-2005, 11:52 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
if Jessiman is drawing two defenders on most occasions, how does Stempiak draw the defense to him and open it up for Jessiman? I had heard that in his second year he was often double and triple-teamed, which opened the ice for others. You confirmed that in the last sentence that says 'I have seen him play in many an ECAC game and he constantly draws the attention of 2 opponents'. That contradicts the previous two sentences '...Lee Stempniak, who almost always outscored him and attracted the defense's attention. With Stempniak's graduation, Jessiman will have opponents all over him at all times'. Which is it?
Notice, in Jessiman's 2nd year, his production went down. Clearly there was more focus on Jessiman; the secret was out. What I meant when i said that Stempniak attracted the defense's attention was that when opposing teams prepared for Dartmouth, they knew that they had to stop the Jessiman/Stempniak combo. So, previously, they'd say, "hey, attack Jessiman when he gets the puck because he's a monster, but don't forget about Stempniak." Yet next year, opponents will know that if they stop Jessiman (and pretty much only Jessiman), they win.

Closed Thread