HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sealing the wall at the blue line

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2013, 03:43 PM
  #1
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Sealing the wall at the blue line

I'm looking for some tips on how to be more effective keeping pucks in at the wall as a defenceman. The opposing forward / defenceman is trying to clear the puck and I'm trying to keep it in. It seems like lately I've been getting burned more often on pinching in and I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments.

One of the things I think I'm going to start doing is to start using my body more to seal off the wall and just block the pass coming up the boards. Usually my strategy is to pinch in stick first and hope that I can chip it forward.

Anybody have any dos and don'ts for this kind of play?

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 03:57 PM
  #2
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee
 
wondeROY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 769
vCash: 500
If you can't trap the puck with your stick try blocking with both feet or even taking a knee against the board (think Tebow lol) Sealing off the blue line parallel with your leg/shin.

Also, even though you're at the blue line, keep your feet active, even just moving side to side a few inches, stepping over, etc. The more you keep your feet active, the chances are you'll be able to react quicker to a puck coming your way.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:08 PM
  #3
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,487
vCash: 500
If you don't have a guy right on you, one good way is to put your heel and the back of your entire leg against the boards. That way it can knock down pucks if they are off the ice. I've also seen guys use their skates to deflect pucks on to their stick but I'm not that good.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:16 PM
  #4
Plebeian
Play Your Game
 
Plebeian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you don't have a guy right on you, one good way is to put your heel and the back of your entire leg against the boards. That way it can knock down pucks if they are off the ice. I've also seen guys use their skates to deflect pucks on to their stick but I'm not that good.
This is how you do it. Most people just slam against the boards but that leaves a huge gap down low which usually allows the puck to get out. Put the heel of your skate that is closest to the blueline against the boards and press against it. I personally angle the blade of my skate so it will bounce off and go to my blade but even if you press your blade straight you will at least stop the puck from getting out.

Plebeian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 09:53 AM
  #5
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the input. I'm going to some of these a try in my next game and see if I can improve my odds a little.

Much appreciated.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2013, 11:00 AM
  #6
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Here's a good link regarding what I'm looking for:

Defense Keep-In Skill Development Drill

Lines up with what you guys are saying.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:43 AM
  #7
Hooah4
Registered User
 
Hooah4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maungie, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 126
vCash: 500
One thing I've learned is if your partner is doing this pay real close attention. If the puck bobbles the tiniest bit or if it's not looking good I cut to the middle outside of my blue line immediately.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 10:32 AM
  #8
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,487
vCash: 500
Also if you do knock down a puck with the back of your leg, it will likely die along the boards and you'll have someone coming at you full speed. So be aware.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 02:55 PM
  #9
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
One thing I've learned is if your partner is doing this pay real close attention. If the puck bobbles the tiniest bit or if it's not looking good I cut to the middle outside of my blue line immediately.
Yep, got burned by this one last week... Puck popped through and there was no backup.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:12 PM
  #10
iLandHer
Registered User
 
iLandHer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,991
vCash: 500
Be sure that you can keep it in before committing to trying to as well. If you're racing to the wall for pucks that you don't have a good chance to keep in, you're setting yourself up for failure.

It's not the worst thing in the world to let it out sometimes, regroup at the red line, and reenter the zone.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 05:55 PM
  #11
TheSkatingDead
Registered User
 
TheSkatingDead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Country: United States
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
It's not the worst thing in the world to let it out sometimes, regroup at the red line, and reenter the zone.
Agreed. Better safe than sorry...

TheSkatingDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 01:02 PM
  #12
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Be sure that you can keep it in before committing to trying to as well. If you're racing to the wall for pucks that you don't have a good chance to keep in, you're setting yourself up for failure.

It's not the worst thing in the world to let it out sometimes, regroup at the red line, and reenter the zone.
I agree, a moment of indecision always seems to bite me in the a**. I think one of the things I have been doing wrong is not making the adjustment when I think I'm going to lose a race to the puck and simply seal the wall with my body.

I've been leading with the stick and the puck just gets chipped up the boards by me. Usually I play pretty conservatively and just skate back but I really want to start holding the blue line better.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 01:57 PM
  #13
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 756
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Time View Post
I'm looking for some tips on how to be more effective keeping pucks in at the wall as a defenceman. The opposing forward / defenceman is trying to clear the puck and I'm trying to keep it in. It seems like lately I've been getting burned more often on pinching in and I'm thinking I need to make some adjustments.

One of the things I think I'm going to start doing is to start using my body more to seal off the wall and just block the pass coming up the boards. Usually my strategy is to pinch in stick first and hope that I can chip it forward.

Anybody have any dos and don'ts for this kind of play?
It's o.k. to try hard to block a 'clearing attempt', but if you're trying to block a 'pass' (which means that there's a player behind you), you're probably out of position.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2013, 02:49 PM
  #14
Jive Time
Registered User
 
Jive Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
It's o.k. to try hard to block a 'clearing attempt', but if you're trying to block a 'pass' (which means that there's a player behind you), you're probably out of position.
No, I'm strictly talking about blocking a clearing attempt. This is that split second decision when two players are micro seconds from winning or losing a race.

I was able to try this out the other day and it worked perfectly! The forward came in to clear the puck up the boards and all I did was come in hard with my heels to the boards and the puck bounced off my hip. Sent it right back into play.

I play a lower level league and I find many times in these race conditions that the opposing player has his head down focusing on just getting the puck on his stick to try chipping it up the boards. In these cases, I'm inclined to press harder.

When I play pickup with guys much better than me, I tend not to pinch unless I'm 100 % sure I can get to it first.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 12:54 PM
  #15
Redskate98
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Time View Post
I agree, a moment of indecision always seems to bite me in the a**. I think one of the things I have been doing wrong is not making the adjustment when I think I'm going to lose a race to the puck and simply seal the wall with my body.

I've been leading with the stick and the puck just gets chipped up the boards by me. Usually I play pretty conservatively and just skate back but I really want to start holding the blue line better.
You have pick you times to pinch in and you have to be 100% sure on your decision. If the puck is bouncing I would use my hand to keep it in the zone. If it is a clean play then I will skate in and put the puck in the corner, take a shot or hold onto the pick and make a play. If a player has it you HAVE TO take the man or the puck.

Redskate98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.