HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off-Season 2013 - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
No long contracts please. I don't know of a single one that hasn't handcuffed a team.
Keith, Crosby, Zetterberg? Some of them do work, and even if it's a bit pricey the gain of a star player while possibly not losing significant pieces would be worth it.

Old
07-02-2013, 10:52 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
Keith, Crosby, Zetterberg? Some of them do work, and even if it's a bit pricey the gain of a star player while possibly not losing significant pieces would be worth it.
Ok, a bit of hyperbole on my part, but a lot of them don't work out in the team's favor. I don't expect the Crosby or Keith contracts to come back and bite either team (unless either goes down due to injury). And the Zetterberg contract... He's getting older, with a lot of years left. Not saying he's bad by any means, just that he's already in his 30's, with many years left on it. As far as I know.

Yzerman didn't even sign Stamkos for more than 5 years. That's about the max I'd sign anyone if I were a GM as well I think.

Old
07-03-2013, 01:50 AM
2016cupwinners

Rough early Syracuse lineup.

*If Malone gets traded and Panik takes his place, and Johnson and Palat make the Bolts also.

Gusev- Namestnikov- Connolly
Tyrell- Angelidis- Kucherov
Vermin- Paquette- Sexton
Devos- Richard- Brown
Gauthier- Neilson- Paradis

Barberio- Sustr
Korobov- Lee
Nesterov- Sergeev
Cote

Helenius
Gudlevskis

Last edited by 2016cupwinners: 07-03-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 01:59 AM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Komisarek has been bought out by the Leafs. Might be worth a look at an extremely low price (800 k or less).

Old
07-03-2013, 03:25 AM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

http://tbo.com/bolts-set-to-test-fre...rket-20130703/
Quote:
In previous years, teams were not permitted to make contact with players until the free-agent market opened for business.

Getting a head start allows more time for both sides to weigh the options.

"I generally think it's a good idea,'' Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman said. "You will know what players are looking for, players will have a better idea and a couple of days to consider their options. Generally on (the first day of free agency) things happen so quickly, the players don't have time to think through their decision and where they go. I wish this window was even longer.''
Quote:
"Ultimately we still have no idea whether we would get the player we might like, but this gives everybody a better idea,'' he said. "It's hard to plan until you have the player signed and to make any other plans, so this will give you an idea of which guys you can pursue and save everybody time on July 5 so neither party is wasting time chasing something you know you are not going to get.''
Quote:
"We'll make the calls potentially on the players we can see helping us, but realistically we are not looking to do a lot on July 5 this year. We are not in position to do that,'' Yzerman said. "There are some forwards out there in free agency (that) are interesting. I just don't believe that we are in a position to go long term for lots of money on a forward.''

Old
07-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Fred89

Forwards? We need D!

Old
07-03-2013, 05:32 AM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
Rough early Syracuse lineup.

*If Malone gets traded and Panik takes his place, and Johnson and Palat make the Bolts also.

Gusev- Namestnikov- Connolly
Tyrell- Angelidis- Kucherov
Vermin- Paquette- Sexton
Devos- Richard- Brown
Gauthier- Neilson- Paradis

Barberio- Sustr
Korobov- Lee
Nesterov- Sergeev
Cote

Helenius
Gudlevskis
I don't think Gusev is coming over this year, possibly next year. I'd say Richard and Paquette will swap. Brown isn't a 4th line winger and benefits nothing from playing there so I'd push him up to the second line and swap Sexton down. I'm not sure Tyrell will fit in any more. I think he has had his chances to stick with the big club and not managed it. Promote Barberio to #7 D on big club and add in Nesterov and I think thats it. Still a great AHL team. One of the best if Kucherov doesn't miss a beat and Namestnikov/Brown progress as expected from their great play-offs.

1,000 posts!

Old
07-03-2013, 09:01 AM
FDfranklin
Standclose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
I'm pretty confused on where SY is trying to go with this team next season. We drop a big name high point scoring center but don't plan on picking anyone notable up for his replacement and with the extra cap space we don't try to fix our weakest attribute, the blue line? We going for another high draft pick in 2014?

Old
07-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDfranklin View Post
I'm pretty confused on where SY is trying to go with this team next season. We drop a big name high point scoring center but don't plan on picking anyone notable up for his replacement and with the extra cap space we don't try to fix our weakest attribute, the blue line? We going for another high draft pick in 2014?
#tankforekblad

Old
07-03-2013, 09:17 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Stevie always makes you read between the lines. Total non-denial here.

Quote:
"There are some forwards out there in free agency (that) are interesting. I just don't believe that we are in a position to go long term for lots of money on a forward.''
So he's saying we won't go long term for lots of money on a forward, allowing us the wiggle room to

1. Go for something that isn't "long term for lots of money" on a forward.
2. Do literally anything concerning defense, trade or free agency.

It was the same last trade deadline, when he kept hinting that we wouldn't be active but kept using the example that we wouldn't be trading futures for players. Well, of course we weren't going to be, and consequently we made one of the biggest splashes of anyone by acquiring Bishop.

I think he's going to be very active. I just think he likes shutting down one very specific speculation to remain coy.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
You know he doesn't give anything away. How many people, including media types that are supposed to know this ****, had him drafting Nichuskin 3rd overall? Stevie keeps his business to himself, but he still has to answer reporters questions. And then he comes out and surprises everyone. It doesn't always work out for the best, but it's always unexpected.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:25 AM
ArmchairGoalie

Quote:
Its a Jedi mind trick by SFY!!!!!

Seriously, looking at CapGeek, after Philly just signed Vinny, they are over the cap and still need another goalie (most likely a starter). That would make them a great and possibly desperate trade partner. Wonder if we could steal Luke Schenn from them.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:29 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
The UFA pool is incredibly thin, SFY would be wise to avoid it, especially with all the mediocre forwards looking for 5-8 year deals at approx. 5 mil/year. The defense are even worse, unless you're looking for a veteran guy to help you on a cup run (we're not quite there yet and Brewer is preventing us from signing a Ference or Scuderi to a short-term deal).

We'll improve the defense through trade. I could see SFY signing a forward like Antropov to a 2-3 year deal.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:34 AM
2MinutesforGiraffing
angelsil on safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post

I think he's going to be very active. I just think he likes shutting down one very specific speculation to remain coy.
I hope you're right because we have got some gaping holes and weak spots to fill. Should make for an interesting weekend to say the least.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Mr Underhill

- Filppula 4yrs @ $4.5mil

- Trade for good young defenseman.

- Low/mid range tough winger

- Get rid of Brewer & Malone

Old
07-03-2013, 09:46 AM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Yzerman has said the same thing but different in each offseason or trade deadline he's been through. He said he didn't expect to be active two seasons ago (or was it this season?), and we made a ton of trades.

He will be active. Don't you worry.

Old
07-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Felonious Python
Still Drej

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGoalie View Post
Its a Jedi mind trick by SFY!!!!!

Seriously, looking at CapGeek, after Philly just signed Vinny, they are over the cap and still need another goalie (most likely a starter). That would make them a great and possibly desperate trade partner. Wonder if we could steal Luke Schenn from them.
They're over the cap if they don't put Pronger on LTIR.

Around draft day it was reported that the Flyers wanted to move Braydon Coburn. They would prefer trading Andrej Meszaros, but there wasn't the interest.

Coburn has a modified NTC though. Can't find any source on exactly what his entails.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 07-03-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
07-03-2013, 11:01 AM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

Ballard is bought out. Do we want him?

Old
07-03-2013, 11:48 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Komisarek has been bought out by the Leafs. Might be worth a look at an extremely low price (800 k or less).
Komisarek didn't look bad in his time playing for Carlyle, but he was god-awful under Ron Wilson (then again, Beauchemin was pretty bad too). I think Komisarek would definitely be worth a one-year deal to prove his worth.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
So is Tom Gilbert, who I thought was a pretty good defenseman when he played for the Oilers. I wouldn't mind Yzerman going after him either.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:51 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Not sure I see Ballard as a fit, however...

Tom Gilbert is about to be bought out. Righty shot, and I think he could still play a top-4 role here, a more offensive RHD to complement Gudas' bigger shutdown role at RD. Also not a little guy at 6'3'', which is nice.

Might be biased because I was a huge fan of his in college, but I could see him being an affordable fit.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:53 AM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
So is Tom Gilbert, who I thought was a pretty good defenseman when he played for the Oilers. I wouldn't mind Yzerman going after him either.
Aha, Skip, should have known you'd beat me to the first take on Tom Gilbert.

Old
07-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Aha, Skip, should have known you'd beat me to the first take on Tom Gilbert.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Carlo Colaiacovo bought out. Do we want him?

Old
07-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Carlo Colaiacovo bought out. Do we want him?
We weren't interested in him last offseason and he has a brutal injury history, so I would say no.

Closed Thread