HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Kavis Reed is conflicted right now. He soooooo wanted to give Kerry the back-up job.
He still will.

Reed and Joseph go together like Mactavish and Peterson.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:31 PM
I am the Liquor

Hey Miller.

Ya coach?

Youre cut. Gtfo of here!

Old
06-21-2013, 11:37 PM
aleshemsky83

vCash: 500
Haha Duane Ford heard the Kelly Campbell comparison and instantly felt he had to defend Sweeneys character

Old
06-21-2013, 11:49 PM
I am the Liquor

Another time count violation.

That never happens.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I am the Liquor

Now they call a timeout on first down.

Moron.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:02 AM
aleshemsky83

Haha the clock didn't actually run out but whatever not worth getting an iniury

Old
06-22-2013, 12:13 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Weird ending, but we didn't choke the win away! Yay preseason.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:14 AM
I am the Liquor

Does this count as one of Moneyguy's 10 wins?

Old
06-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Man Crompton has got a WMD for an arm
That TD pass was ridiculous. He short-armed that ball 50 yards downfield.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-22-2013, 09:08 AM
Six in O6

From what I caught, the game looked pretty good. Glad to see a positive result against a strong team. Looking forward to the home opener next weekend!

Old
06-22-2013, 09:10 AM
abootzky

Step 1 for most of you is to realize that, on-field wise, Kerry Joseph will be an injury-related last resort and nothing more. Anybody with functioning eyes and ears can figure that out. The Eskimos weren't close to being perfect in BC (What football team ever is?), but there were far more encouraging than discouraging signs. Does one pre-season W mean I'm planning a Grey Cup Parade? Of course not. It does mean that (at this early point anyway) the 2013 Esks are not deserving of the derision that our local NHL team has earned in recent seasons.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-22-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Cleanup
Old
06-22-2013, 09:16 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
That TD pass was ridiculous. He short-armed that ball 50 yards downfield.
yeah he has a cannon all right, ridiculous.... could be an interesting guy in the future... certainly didn't look out of place in either preseason game, thats for sure

Old
06-22-2013, 09:35 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Damn. What a pass by Reilly and what a catch by Koch.
That was a nice play. Still not sure how he caught it.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

The positives.

Crompton continuing to impress. Noted his composure in the first game and he showed the same in the second. Something I want people to think about is the bomb he threw. He did it while in the rollout, evading pressure, and with heat just about to smack him. How often in recent years have we seen a QB evade pressure like that to buy enough time to toss that ball? That play was surprising for a lot of reasons. I definitely want Crompton on this club, thought so after the first game, and its interesting as well that the club see's it the same way. I'm not used to that lately either.

White? Where was this guy|? I heard nothing about this RB. All we ever heard about was Moore, Lampley, Lewis with the two latter players looking lame to me. The choice here is clear to. White should make the club, what a dynamic runner, vs the other two who showed me nothing. People can dislike my opinion, but I don't think I was wrong on either Lampley or Lewis. I was negative about our RB situation because I'd not seen or heard of White.

Koch. Been hard on this guy sometimes and specifically my feeling that he doesn't represent an open target enough times to be really helpful as a #2 target. But tonight he was dangerous and a big factor. Obviously showed good concentration in making catches.

Sweeney. Of course we saw the trackstar in the first game and the blazing speed. The question was could he catch the ball. The answer so far is enough to make D's worry and have to scout him on game film. Its important to have a receiver with burn speed to open up the D.

Oline did well over all. A lot of steamboats on a lot of plays. Guys came clean sometimes but that happens early in the year with a line not used to each other. Line did enough, and its revealing that good RB's like White, and Charles could do something with it, while Lampley was again hopeless.

I just chose to focus on the offense here as thats where we needed the most help. We have a pretty solid D. That won't be a problem barring injury.

All that said I don't think the Leos played particularly well and I do want to see what we look like against guys like Bighill. Final comment. Look how much less effective Lulay suddenly looks with a diminished receiving core? He didn't look great, his backup looked abysmal. The quality of your receiving staff has a lot to do with what your QB's look like any particular year.

Old
06-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Step 1 for most of you is to realize that, on-field wise, Kerry Joseph will be an injury-related last resort and nothing more. Anybody with functioning eyes and ears can figure that out. The Eskimos weren't close to being perfect in BC (What football team ever is?), but there were far more encouraging than discouraging signs. Does one pre-season W mean I'm planning a Grey Cup Parade? Of course not. It does mean that (at this early point anyway) the 2013 Esks are not deserving of the derision that our local NHL team has earned in recent seasons.
C'mon. I honestly think its a natural reaction at this point for people to be dismissive of the club. The esks need to earn the fan respect and faith back which is pretty natural, and expected, with how this club has been run into the ground. Everybody has different reactions, people have seen mine, but it is beyond "show me time" for the Esks and sometimes faith needs some miracles..

No need for flaming posts from fans that have lost enthusiasm currently. These posters, and myself, are fans, and have been long term fans.

I have one question.

If we're in the stands at a game voicing different opinions and drinking beer are we snapping at each other as we sit in the same rows over differences of opinion or are we having a discussion between plays with fellow fans that strike us as worth talking to?
I phrase that specifically as an attempt for us all, myself included, to attempt some different interaction in this thread in what is a long year ahead.

We're all fans of the team and in the thread. So lets stop with the "pathetic" labels.

Sorry to single you out if it looks like that. Its not my intention or point. Just for us to refocus some mood in the thread. I'll try to do my part. The team showing some promise makes it easier to do that.

Last edited by s7ark: 06-22-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Cleanup of quoted post
Old
06-22-2013, 11:15 AM
I am the Liquor

I dont see any reason to give Joseph a roster spot. None.

Roll with Reilly, Crompton and Harris.

Cutting any of the above three guys in order to keep Joseph Methuselah would be completely and utterly ridiculous.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:09 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
We're all fans of the team and in the thread. So lets stop with the "pathetic" labels.
Done.

Quote:
Sorry to single you out if it looks like that. Its not my intention or point. Just for us to refocus some mood in the thread. I'll try to do my part. The team showing some promise makes it easier to do that.
No worries, the part of my post that was edited out deserved to be. We are on the same page when it comes to refocusing the mood in this thread. That was the intention of my last couple of posts.

Old
06-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Done.

No worries, the part of my post that was edited out deserved to be. We are on the same page when it comes to refocusing the mood in this thread. That was the intention of my last couple of posts.
No worries, thanks for the reply.

Hope the team does well on the field. I at least have identified with some of the incoming players now. My initial fear was not seeing too many helpful additions on offense. But White, Sweeney, and of course the performance of Reilly and Crompton thus far is good to see. Its hard to watch a team with few weapons like last year.

Other than stamps though we're still missing reliable targets for the QB to dish to. We need a couple guys coming back to the ball better and giving a target when theres heat.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:05 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No worries, thanks for the reply.

Hope the team does well on the field. I at least have identified with some of the incoming players now. My initial fear was not seeing too many helpful additions on offense. But White, Sweeney, and of course the performance of Reilly and Crompton thus far is good to see. Its hard to watch a team with few weapons like last year.

Other than stamps though we're still missing reliable targets for the QB to dish to. We need a couple guys coming back to the ball better and giving a target when theres heat.
Our receiving core is definitely not the best, I do think though it will look better than last year mainly because we will probably have a competent quarterback tossing the ball. I also think Chambers will surprise some people this year, that's just a gut feeling though. I really trust Hervey though, I don't think there's many guys who are as good at evaluating talent, it's a slow process rebuilding the crap he's been left with.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:29 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
As crazy as it sounds, I actually think moneyguy's 10 wins is doable for this club.

I know after last seasons disaster, it's easy to be like 'psh, 10 wins', but the roster overhaul that we've gone through means this is a totally different club.

Reilly is the biggest factor. No he's not proven, but I'm pretty confident he'll be better than Jyles. Jyles' 'tools' were painfully limited. Reilly to me has a lot of tools to be a successful CFL QB. He's also developed for a while, and so far, he's shown he can play pretty well.

Apart from that, I expect our D to be dominant. Our D line looks ridiculous. Constantly pushing back the BC O-line and holding their running game to something like 3 yds/carry. Add in Sherritt and Curran (who looks like the real deal), and it's easy to see why this front seven will be incredibly tough to play against.

The O-line and WR's are the biggest question marks. With regards to the WR's, it's more 'can the guys play to their potential' rather than if we have the talent. We have the talent, but we're relying on them to step up and play to their ability a little sooner than planned. I think they'll step up, but expect some bad games. I do think Stamps will benefit a lot from an actual QB in Reilly.

The O-line on the other hand is a little bit of a worry. Last night they played well against a good D-line. If they can atleast be average, I think we'll be fine. Reilly's ability to run and throw will help alot.

Crompton should be our #2. A big arm and good poise for a guy who is new to the CFL is impressive. Sweeney should be on the roster, especially with that speed.

Overall last nights game had a lot of positives. It wasn't perfect, as there are places for improvement, but I don't think 10 games is out of the question. As long as Reed doesn't do anything overly stupid (ie 90-10 pass-run ratio, Joseph in after the first Reilly INT etc.), this team should be competitive in most games.

06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Cutting any of the above three guys in order to keep Joseph Methuselah would be completely and utterly ridiculous.
If they feel they can utilize his experience in the film room and on the bench then they can easily put Harris on the practice roster. The injury to Nichols gives them a chance to keep all the QB's. Joseph was underwhelming last year for the most part but he was way better than Jyles, and did have a few good games. He really isn't the worst option in the world as an emergency backup with experience. Don't get me wrong i wouldn't of brought him back, nor start as much as he did last year, but there could be value in having him around.

Old
06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Chooch

Quote:

It's priceless that he's once again being used for short yardage. Nothing more than a desperate attempt by Kavis to make Kerry relevant.

Old
06-22-2013, 02:19 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
It's priceless that he's once again being used for short yardage. Nothing more than a desperate attempt by Kavis to make Kerry relevant.
How about a logical attempt to keep Reilly & Crompton from taking unnecessary hits?

Old
06-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
How about a logical attempt to keep Reilly & Crompton from taking unnecessary hits?
Did you see him fall down after giving a hand-off?

He has no business being on the field anymore with much better, more athletic, younger options available.

Why not use Jacory Harris for the short yardage team? He is bigger, more athletic and can run better than Joseph.

There is NO reason for Joseph to be anywhere but on the practice roster, and/or in a coaching/mentoring role.

Old
06-22-2013, 04:37 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

yeah i don't get keeping joseph for any reason.... what, exactly, are we going to gain by keeping him around? harris at least *could* be something down the road, we *know* joseph isn't anything right freaking now... very frustrating if he is kept on the team (which it appears he will be)

Closed Thread