HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2013, 04:40 PM
McJadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No worries, thanks for the reply.

Hope the team does well on the field. I at least have identified with some of the incoming players now. My initial fear was not seeing too many helpful additions on offense. But White, Sweeney, and of course the performance of Reilly and Crompton thus far is good to see. Its hard to watch a team with few weapons like last year.

Other than stamps though we're still missing reliable targets for the QB to dish to. We need a couple guys coming back to the ball better and giving a target when theres heat.
i think it really comes down to 2 things:

1. hoping coehoorn and chambers continue to progress like we all hope they will
2. bowman coming back healthy

if both of those things happen, we should be in good shape

i'm FAR, FAR, FAR more worried about our Oline play than i am about our receivers... i actually think our receiving core could be one of our strengths

Old
06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Reilly and Coehoorn have developed quite the bromance already. RE: Mike Reilly's Twitter feed.

Old
06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i think it really comes down to 2 things:

1. hoping coehoorn and chambers continue to progress like we all hope they will
2. bowman coming back healthy

if both of those things happen, we should be in good shape

i'm FAR, FAR, FAR more worried about our Oline play than i am about our receivers... i actually think our receiving core could be one of our strengths
I couldn't agree more.
The O-line is of far greater concern. I would also include the secondary as a concern. The receivers are well down the list.

All that aside I think the biggest concern with this team is Kavis Reed.
I hear he is a great guy and all but his ability to call a game and make personnel decisions is about as bad as I have seen with any Eskimo coach.

Here's hoping that nice guy Kavis has learned from his many mistakes and also acquired some common sense in the off season.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 48s
The #Eskimos have made their cuts, that I know for sure. They're at this time, for whatever reason/s not making them public. #CFLTC13 #yeg
Hmm... interesting. Was there a surprise cut?

Old
06-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Clint Kent was cut according to Sportsnet.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-23-2013, 07:52 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
White? Where was this guy|? I heard nothing about this RB. All we ever heard about was Moore, Lampley, Lewis with the two latter players looking lame to me. The choice here is clear to. White should make the club, what a dynamic runner, vs the other two who showed me nothing. People can dislike my opinion, but I don't think I was wrong on either Lampley or Lewis. I was negative about our RB situation because I'd not seen or heard of White.
White was one of those I identified as a player to watch.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:11 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
How about a logical attempt to keep Reilly & Crompton from taking unnecessary hits?
Especially in the pre-season.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
joestevens29

Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 5m
Looking at player twitter accounts, LB Clint Kent, WR Rico Wallace, DB Michael Ricks, and OL Nick Cody have been cut. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

Old
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
White was one of those I identified as a player to watch.
OK, you did actually. I had to look at it again from the other thread. But in that post you hilited 15 new players to look out for that were going to make a huge difference and so on that grounds you were kind of using the bullet approach and it was hard to notice every player you were saying we should keep an eye on.

Lets see some other prognostications: You stated that the recieving core was so deep that Cary Koch could be cut. In the same post you waxed on about Carter, Coohoern, Chambers(who I like) You also stated in that post Ed Gant was going to be one to notice. Yeah I did, for how horrible he looked handing a TD to the Riders.

You stated Lampley, Lewis, Moore would make a huge difference to our kick return game. Lampley and Lewis are completely useless and among the worst returners, RB's I've seen here in years. They go down at the mere apprehension of a tackle. With Lampley it looks like he goes down on every play the moment he's touched. Zero fight in this dog. Cut.

You also specifically mentioned Harris at QB instead of Crompton. The latter has easily been more noticeable and I'd say the biggest surprise of the preseason. You made no mention of Sweeney.

You mentioned Ricks would definitely be one to watch and would likely make the club. He's been cut. Gant and Lewis were also cut. Lets be clear to. You were extremely high on Gant. You defended his player even in a brutal first exhibition game. You even felt he played a good game. I said cut at the time. You felt that was premature and ridiculous. The esks cut Gant outright. Only a week late..

Really of all the NEW players that have really impressed me the only ones you mentioned were Curran and White. So a lot of misses and few hits in that post.

ps It was obvious to pretty much anybody that Sewell and Brandon Lang were going to be good. They already were very good last year.

I know you position yourself here as if you have some kind of inside track on the club but your scorecard I note is not all that good.

Hey I appreciate information and I'm sure a lot of people do but I like it to have some more veracity.

Being that you make bold prognostications you should be OK with having them evaluated.

Heres your post for posterity:

Quote:
I put this together from what I've been hearing.... These are some predictions or could-happens for the Esks season. Some of these will come true. Some may not, but these are things the team could do in 2013, plus some predictions.

1. The offense will be much better, and far more dynamic and a risk-taking offense. With Doug Sams, it will be more of a big-play offense, with a diverse, attacking style. If you like a risk-taking offense, you’ll be entertained – win or lose.

2. We all know the O-line needs to be much better. I expect we’ll see the team start two imports on the line. Don’t be surprised if we see three playing at times during the season. Kris Sweet will have a big impact, and it will be a culture shock for them. Prinsen was a teddy bear, Sweet is a grizzly bear. He’ll call the O-line out often and they should be more motivated. I hope they'll be more skilled.

3. Receiver to watch: Ed Gant. The expect Gant to have a break-out season and that he can be as good as Arcenaux. He’s big, fast, and will pressure defences. He could have a far greater impact this year than you might think now. This leads to the next point….

4. Player to watch: Cary Koch, but not for the obvious reason. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the team. He could draw the short straw in a team that will be stacked at receiver. This is a possibility.

5. Our Canadian receivers will be very strong. Look for big strides from Coehoorn, Chambers and Carter. They expect this to be the best contingent of Canadian receivers in the league, not immediately but soon.

6. We’ll be much better at QB. No surprise here, right. They’re looking at Reilly to be a huge addition, and Nichols will really challenge him. There are players on the team who are huge fans of Nichols. Barring a big surprise, Joseph will make the team at No. 3. They love his leadership. They also love Jacory Harris, who has huge potential. Maybe he'll be IR'd? Calgary has the best QB depth, but soon we’ll be right behind.

7. One of three rookie kick returners (Terrance Lewis, Tavoy Moore or Tracy Lampley) will have a big impact as our leading kick returner. Joe Burnett will be removed from return duties, which they expect to improve his play big time in the backfield.

8. John White will likely play or back up in the offensive backfield and will surprise you. He’s quick, has great hands and is a candidate for some return duties. This is another name to watch.

9. The defensive line will be very strong (and deep), starting with Marcus Howard and Odell Willis. However, watch for Brandon Lang (a DE they brought in last fall) to be a great player. They love this guy and think he can develop to be one of the best LBs in the league. Capicciotti might play a lot, too. Kavis pushed to draft him and he is excellent. Almondo Sewell is a gem about to be discovered, and Donnie O. is also excellent. Even if Laurent gets hurt, they won’t miss a beat. Like I said, deep.

10. Watch two other guys at LB – Donovan Richard and Rennie Curran. Both have the potential to be as good as J.C. Sherritt.

11. At SAM-backer, T.J. Hill is aging, so either Eric Samuels or Desmond Morrow needs to shine. Hill may have one more good year. If Hill gets hurt, one of them will be pressed into action. Hill is one of the best players on the team, but doesn’t get all the recognition he deserves.

12. Name to watch: Michael Ricks is likely to make the team in Weldon Brown’s spot at HB. He was on the PR last season and needs to fix some mental mistakes.

A player to watch elsewhere is Collaros, backup QB with the Argos. He’s a Reilly in the making.

I’m predicting at least 10 wins for us, maybe 11 with a shot at 12. We’ll make the playoffs and will be in contention for second, or better. This team may start a little slow, but will start to gel big time.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 AM
joestevens29

Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 4m
Fourteen hours and four minutes after the deadline, Edmonton Eskimos announce cuts.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:27 AM
Auguste McEscoffier

Cuts:

Nick Cody OL
Kyle Exume RB
Ed Gant WR
Brent Haenni FB
Cary Harris DB
Clint Kent LB
Terrence Lewis WR
Hugo Lopez S
Carson Rockhill OL
Taylor Servais OL
Tomas Silva L/P
Rico Wallace WR
Lindsay Witten DL
Smith Wright FB

Old
06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Cuts:

Nick Cody OL
Kyle Exume RB
Ed Gant WR
Brent Haenni FB
Cary Harris DB
Clint Kent LB
Terrence Lewis WR
Hugo Lopez S
Carson Rockhill OL
Taylor Servais OL
Tomas Silva L/P
Rico Wallace WR
Lindsay Witten DL
Smith Wright FB
yeah, none of these are surprising at all

Old
06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
Cerebral

I'm shocked the Eskies cut Rockhill - he was essentially the reason why the team felt comfortable moving Wojt to Hamilton. Hervey spoke as though he was essentially adding a first rounder in this year's draft.

I'm also surprised on Witten - he really impressed me and I wish they could have found a way to keep him around. I have a feeling he'll find a way to come back and haunt us in the future.

06-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Six in O6

Interesting cuts, but it seems at this time a lot of those players will be of little consequence.

Old
06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
yeah, none of these are surprising at all
I have no idea how Lampley is not on this list. Guy was just brutal in both games generating nothing.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
esks123

Quote:
OK, you did actually. I had to look at it again from the other thread. But in that post you hilited 15 new players to look out for that were going to make a huge difference and so on that grounds you were kind of using the bullet approach and it was hard to notice every player you were saying we should keep an eye on.

Lets see some other prognostications: You stated that the recieving core was so deep that Cary Koch could be cut. In the same post you waxed on about Carter, Coohoern, Chambers(who I like) You also stated in that post Ed Gant was going to be one to notice. Yeah I did, for how horrible he looked handing a TD to the Riders.

You stated Lampley, Lewis, Moore would make a huge difference to our kick return game. Lampley and Lewis are completely useless and among the worst returners, RB's I've seen here in years. They go down at the mere apprehension of a tackle. With Lampley it looks like he goes down on every play the moment he's touched. Zero fight in this dog. Cut.

You also specifically mentioned Harris at QB instead of Crompton. The latter has easily been more noticeable and I'd say the biggest surprise of the preseason. You made no mention of Sweeney.

You mentioned Ricks would definitely be one to watch and would likely make the club. He's been cut. Gant and Lewis were also cut. Lets be clear to. You were extremely high on Gant. You defended his player even in a brutal first exhibition game. You even felt he played a good game. I said cut at the time. You felt that was premature and ridiculous. The esks cut Gant outright. Only a week late..

Really of all the NEW players that have really impressed me the only ones you mentioned were Curran and White. So a lot of misses and few hits in that post.

ps It was obvious to pretty much anybody that Sewell and Brandon Lang were going to be good. They already were very good last year.

I know you position yourself here as if you have some kind of inside track on the club but your scorecard I note is not all that good.

Hey I appreciate information and I'm sure a lot of people do but I like it to have some more veracity.

Being that you make bold prognostications you should be OK with having them evaluated.

Heres your post for posterity:

Jeez. Your posts are way too pessimistic most of the time. It's perfectly acceptable to criticize or be skeptical to a certain degree, but give the team a chance. Wait until they are 0-5 or 2-8 before going into ultra pessimism mode IMO. Anything can happen in the CFL... Lulay or Calvillo could drop down with a season ending injury in game 2 and take their respective teams out of the division title running.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
I have no idea how Lampley is not on this list. Guy was just brutal in both games generating nothing.
yeah a little surprised he made it... maybe he looks better on returns in practice than he did in the games?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
McTedi

Quote:
Yah really, the guy looked terrible. Already EE looks like they have issues everywhere, not something you want right out of the gate. I'll try to remain somewhat positive but I have my doubts that this team can get it done.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
Jeez. Your posts are way too pessimistic most of the time. It's perfectly acceptable to criticize or be skeptical to a certain degree, but give the team a chance. Wait until they are 0-5 or 2-8 before going into ultra pessimism mode IMO. Anything can happen in the CFL... Lulay or Calvillo could drop down with a season ending injury in game 2 and take their respective teams out of the division title running.
That really wasn't at all the purpose of my post.

Moneyguy frequently indicates here or even states that he has inside information and KNOWS what the club thinks about certain players and who they are high on. In other cases he states who he's high on. All I'm stating in response is the prognostications and insider track didn't really pan out all that well.

People can judge for themselves.

I can understand people want a forecast. But by definition that means one that is actually foretelling.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
yeah a little surprised he made it... maybe he looks better on returns in practice than he did in the games?
Quite possible. But its clear he didn't compete, and didn't fight for any yards in either game. He instead went down each time as soon as he was touched.

Not to make a big deal about it but its reminiscent of this club, and an issue, that they play favorites with certain players.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
BleedingOil

Lampley was cut and added to the PR

Old
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Lampley was cut and added to the PR

My point being why even waste a PR spot? Cut him outright. If you aren't prepared to play pro football you shouldn't be here. Everything I saw in Lampley indicaed to me he wasn't prepared to dial it up and he was extremely tentative. Which quite simply is death for a RB/kick returner. I don't know that we need more of a look.
Theres a night and day difference between somebody that takes the bull by the horns in one start and comes shooting out of a cannon (White) vs somebody that did nothing with two starts (Lampley).

Its pro sports, the guys that aren't prepared to play during a pro camp should go home. period. I suspect with Reed and the Esks though is that Lampley is one of those guys that managed to brown nose his way into a second and third look. Sucks on the football field but probably saying all the right things. Can't see any other reason he'd even be retained on a PR.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Quote:
My point being why even waste a PR spot? Cut him outright. If you aren't prepared to play pro football you shouldn't be here. Everything I saw in Lampley indicaed to me he wasn't prepared to dial it up and he was extremely tentative. Which quite simply is death for a RB/kick returner. I don't know that we need more of a look.
Theres a night and day difference between somebody that takes the bull by the horns in one start and comes shooting out of a cannon (White) vs somebody that did nothing with two starts (Lampley).

Its pro sports, the guys that aren't prepared to play during a pro camp should go home. period. I suspect with Reed and the Esks though is that Lampley is one of those guys that managed to brown nose his way into a second and third look. Sucks on the football field but probably saying all the right things. Can't see any other reason he'd even be retained on a PR.
It's a freaking practice roster spot.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It's a freaking practice roster spot.
The intent and proper use of which is to retain players that may actually be, you know, helpful in some way to the pro football team in question. Pro football of course involving a lot of injuries and NEED to retain valued individuals that can step in and play...which again is the whole purpose of a practice squad.

Or alternately lets just waste a spot on another dud.

Old
06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
McTedi

Quote:
The intent and proper use of which is to retain players that may actually be, you know, helpful in some way to the pro football team in question. Pro football of course involving a lot of injuries and NEED to retain valued individuals that can step in and play...which again is the whole purpose of a practice squad.

Or alternately lets just waste a spot on another dud.
Lack of a better option??

Closed Thread