HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2013, 04:40 PM
  #251
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
No worries, thanks for the reply.

Hope the team does well on the field. I at least have identified with some of the incoming players now. My initial fear was not seeing too many helpful additions on offense. But White, Sweeney, and of course the performance of Reilly and Crompton thus far is good to see. Its hard to watch a team with few weapons like last year.

Other than stamps though we're still missing reliable targets for the QB to dish to. We need a couple guys coming back to the ball better and giving a target when theres heat.
i think it really comes down to 2 things:

1. hoping coehoorn and chambers continue to progress like we all hope they will
2. bowman coming back healthy

if both of those things happen, we should be in good shape

i'm FAR, FAR, FAR more worried about our Oline play than i am about our receivers... i actually think our receiving core could be one of our strengths

McJadeddog is online now  
Old
06-22-2013, 06:50 PM
  #252
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Reilly and Coehoorn have developed quite the bromance already. RE: Mike Reilly's Twitter feed.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-22-2013, 09:46 PM
  #253
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,192
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i think it really comes down to 2 things:

1. hoping coehoorn and chambers continue to progress like we all hope they will
2. bowman coming back healthy

if both of those things happen, we should be in good shape

i'm FAR, FAR, FAR more worried about our Oline play than i am about our receivers... i actually think our receiving core could be one of our strengths
I couldn't agree more.
The O-line is of far greater concern. I would also include the secondary as a concern. The receivers are well down the list.

All that aside I think the biggest concern with this team is Kavis Reed.
I hear he is a great guy and all but his ability to call a game and make personnel decisions is about as bad as I have seen with any Eskimo coach.

Here's hoping that nice guy Kavis has learned from his many mistakes and also acquired some common sense in the off season.

guymez is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:02 AM
  #254
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 48s
The #Eskimos have made their cuts, that I know for sure. They're at this time, for whatever reason/s not making them public. #CFLTC13 #yeg
Hmm... interesting. Was there a surprise cut?

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:17 AM
  #255
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 23,071
vCash: 500
Clint Kent was cut according to Sportsnet.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 07:52 AM
  #256
MoneyGuy
Registered User
 
MoneyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,558
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
White? Where was this guy|? I heard nothing about this RB. All we ever heard about was Moore, Lampley, Lewis with the two latter players looking lame to me. The choice here is clear to. White should make the club, what a dynamic runner, vs the other two who showed me nothing. People can dislike my opinion, but I don't think I was wrong on either Lampley or Lewis. I was negative about our RB situation because I'd not seen or heard of White.
White was one of those I identified as a player to watch.

MoneyGuy is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:11 AM
  #257
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,018
vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
How about a logical attempt to keep Reilly & Crompton from taking unnecessary hits?
Especially in the pre-season.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:22 AM
  #258
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,018
vCash: 2642
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 5m
Looking at player twitter accounts, LB Clint Kent, WR Rico Wallace, DB Michael Ricks, and OL Nick Cody have been cut. #Eskimos #CFL #yeg

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:08 AM
  #259
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
White was one of those I identified as a player to watch.
OK, you did actually. I had to look at it again from the other thread. But in that post you hilited 15 new players to look out for that were going to make a huge difference and so on that grounds you were kind of using the bullet approach and it was hard to notice every player you were saying we should keep an eye on.

Lets see some other prognostications: You stated that the recieving core was so deep that Cary Koch could be cut. In the same post you waxed on about Carter, Coohoern, Chambers(who I like) You also stated in that post Ed Gant was going to be one to notice. Yeah I did, for how horrible he looked handing a TD to the Riders.

You stated Lampley, Lewis, Moore would make a huge difference to our kick return game. Lampley and Lewis are completely useless and among the worst returners, RB's I've seen here in years. They go down at the mere apprehension of a tackle. With Lampley it looks like he goes down on every play the moment he's touched. Zero fight in this dog. Cut.

You also specifically mentioned Harris at QB instead of Crompton. The latter has easily been more noticeable and I'd say the biggest surprise of the preseason. You made no mention of Sweeney.

You mentioned Ricks would definitely be one to watch and would likely make the club. He's been cut. Gant and Lewis were also cut. Lets be clear to. You were extremely high on Gant. You defended his player even in a brutal first exhibition game. You even felt he played a good game. I said cut at the time. You felt that was premature and ridiculous. The esks cut Gant outright. Only a week late..


Really of all the NEW players that have really impressed me the only ones you mentioned were Curran and White. So a lot of misses and few hits in that post.

ps It was obvious to pretty much anybody that Sewell and Brandon Lang were going to be good. They already were very good last year.


I know you position yourself here as if you have some kind of inside track on the club but your scorecard I note is not all that good.

Hey I appreciate information and I'm sure a lot of people do but I like it to have some more veracity.

Being that you make bold prognostications you should be OK with having them evaluated.


Heres your post for posterity:

Quote:
I put this together from what I've been hearing.... These are some predictions or could-happens for the Esks season. Some of these will come true. Some may not, but these are things the team could do in 2013, plus some predictions.

1. The offense will be much better, and far more dynamic and a risk-taking offense. With Doug Sams, it will be more of a big-play offense, with a diverse, attacking style. If you like a risk-taking offense, you’ll be entertained – win or lose.

2. We all know the O-line needs to be much better. I expect we’ll see the team start two imports on the line. Don’t be surprised if we see three playing at times during the season. Kris Sweet will have a big impact, and it will be a culture shock for them. Prinsen was a teddy bear, Sweet is a grizzly bear. He’ll call the O-line out often and they should be more motivated. I hope they'll be more skilled.

3. Receiver to watch: Ed Gant. The expect Gant to have a break-out season and that he can be as good as Arcenaux. He’s big, fast, and will pressure defences. He could have a far greater impact this year than you might think now. This leads to the next point….

4. Player to watch: Cary Koch, but not for the obvious reason. Don’t be surprised if he doesn’t make the team. He could draw the short straw in a team that will be stacked at receiver. This is a possibility.

5. Our Canadian receivers will be very strong. Look for big strides from Coehoorn, Chambers and Carter. They expect this to be the best contingent of Canadian receivers in the league, not immediately but soon.

6. We’ll be much better at QB. No surprise here, right. They’re looking at Reilly to be a huge addition, and Nichols will really challenge him. There are players on the team who are huge fans of Nichols. Barring a big surprise, Joseph will make the team at No. 3. They love his leadership. They also love Jacory Harris, who has huge potential. Maybe he'll be IR'd? Calgary has the best QB depth, but soon we’ll be right behind.

7. One of three rookie kick returners (Terrance Lewis, Tavoy Moore or Tracy Lampley) will have a big impact as our leading kick returner. Joe Burnett will be removed from return duties, which they expect to improve his play big time in the backfield.

8. John White will likely play or back up in the offensive backfield and will surprise you. He’s quick, has great hands and is a candidate for some return duties. This is another name to watch.

9. The defensive line will be very strong (and deep), starting with Marcus Howard and Odell Willis. However, watch for Brandon Lang (a DE they brought in last fall) to be a great player. They love this guy and think he can develop to be one of the best LBs in the league. Capicciotti might play a lot, too. Kavis pushed to draft him and he is excellent. Almondo Sewell is a gem about to be discovered, and Donnie O. is also excellent. Even if Laurent gets hurt, they won’t miss a beat. Like I said, deep.

10. Watch two other guys at LB – Donovan Richard and Rennie Curran. Both have the potential to be as good as J.C. Sherritt.

11. At SAM-backer, T.J. Hill is aging, so either Eric Samuels or Desmond Morrow needs to shine. Hill may have one more good year. If Hill gets hurt, one of them will be pressed into action. Hill is one of the best players on the team, but doesn’t get all the recognition he deserves.

12. Name to watch: Michael Ricks is likely to make the team in Weldon Brown’s spot at HB. He was on the PR last season and needs to fix some mental mistakes.

A player to watch elsewhere is Collaros, backup QB with the Argos. He’s a Reilly in the making.

I’m predicting at least 10 wins for us, maybe 11 with a shot at 12. We’ll make the playoffs and will be in contention for second, or better. This team may start a little slow, but will start to gel big time.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-23-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 AM
  #260
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 27,018
vCash: 2642
Terry Jones ‏@sunterryjones 4m
Fourteen hours and four minutes after the deadline, Edmonton Eskimos announce cuts.

joestevens29 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:27 AM
  #261
Auguste McEscoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste McEscoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,721
vCash: 500
Cuts:

Nick Cody OL
Kyle Exume RB
Ed Gant WR
Brent Haenni FB
Cary Harris DB
Clint Kent LB
Terrence Lewis WR
Hugo Lopez S
Carson Rockhill OL
Taylor Servais OL
Tomas Silva L/P
Rico Wallace WR
Lindsay Witten DL
Smith Wright FB

Auguste McEscoffier is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:50 AM
  #262
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Cuts:

Nick Cody OL
Kyle Exume RB
Ed Gant WR
Brent Haenni FB
Cary Harris DB
Clint Kent LB
Terrence Lewis WR
Hugo Lopez S
Carson Rockhill OL
Taylor Servais OL
Tomas Silva L/P
Rico Wallace WR
Lindsay Witten DL
Smith Wright FB
yeah, none of these are surprising at all

McJadeddog is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
  #263
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
I'm shocked the Eskies cut Rockhill - he was essentially the reason why the team felt comfortable moving Wojt to Hamilton. Hervey spoke as though he was essentially adding a first rounder in this year's draft.

I'm also surprised on Witten - he really impressed me and I wish they could have found a way to keep him around. I have a feeling he'll find a way to come back and haunt us in the future.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:58 AM
  #264
Six in O6
Registered User
 
Six in O6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
Interesting cuts, but it seems at this time a lot of those players will be of little consequence.

Six in O6 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 12:01 PM
  #265
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah, none of these are surprising at all
I have no idea how Lampley is not on this list. Guy was just brutal in both games generating nothing.

Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
  #266
esks123
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 40
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
OK, you did actually. I had to look at it again from the other thread. But in that post you hilited 15 new players to look out for that were going to make a huge difference and so on that grounds you were kind of using the bullet approach and it was hard to notice every player you were saying we should keep an eye on.

Lets see some other prognostications: You stated that the recieving core was so deep that Cary Koch could be cut. In the same post you waxed on about Carter, Coohoern, Chambers(who I like) You also stated in that post Ed Gant was going to be one to notice. Yeah I did, for how horrible he looked handing a TD to the Riders.

You stated Lampley, Lewis, Moore would make a huge difference to our kick return game. Lampley and Lewis are completely useless and among the worst returners, RB's I've seen here in years. They go down at the mere apprehension of a tackle. With Lampley it looks like he goes down on every play the moment he's touched. Zero fight in this dog. Cut.

You also specifically mentioned Harris at QB instead of Crompton. The latter has easily been more noticeable and I'd say the biggest surprise of the preseason. You made no mention of Sweeney.

You mentioned Ricks would definitely be one to watch and would likely make the club. He's been cut. Gant and Lewis were also cut. Lets be clear to. You were extremely high on Gant. You defended his player even in a brutal first exhibition game. You even felt he played a good game. I said cut at the time. You felt that was premature and ridiculous. The esks cut Gant outright. Only a week late..


Really of all the NEW players that have really impressed me the only ones you mentioned were Curran and White. So a lot of misses and few hits in that post.

ps It was obvious to pretty much anybody that Sewell and Brandon Lang were going to be good. They already were very good last year.


I know you position yourself here as if you have some kind of inside track on the club but your scorecard I note is not all that good.

Hey I appreciate information and I'm sure a lot of people do but I like it to have some more veracity.

Being that you make bold prognostications you should be OK with having them evaluated.


Heres your post for posterity:

Jeez. Your posts are way too pessimistic most of the time. It's perfectly acceptable to criticize or be skeptical to a certain degree, but give the team a chance. Wait until they are 0-5 or 2-8 before going into ultra pessimism mode IMO. Anything can happen in the CFL... Lulay or Calvillo could drop down with a season ending injury in game 2 and take their respective teams out of the division title running.

esks123 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 07:44 PM
  #267
McJadeddog
Registered User
 
McJadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 12,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have no idea how Lampley is not on this list. Guy was just brutal in both games generating nothing.
yeah a little surprised he made it... maybe he looks better on returns in practice than he did in the games?

McJadeddog is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 08:14 PM
  #268
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,525
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I have no idea how Lampley is not on this list. Guy was just brutal in both games generating nothing.
Yah really, the guy looked terrible. Already EE looks like they have issues everywhere, not something you want right out of the gate. I'll try to remain somewhat positive but I have my doubts that this team can get it done.

McTedi is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 09:21 PM
  #269
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
Jeez. Your posts are way too pessimistic most of the time. It's perfectly acceptable to criticize or be skeptical to a certain degree, but give the team a chance. Wait until they are 0-5 or 2-8 before going into ultra pessimism mode IMO. Anything can happen in the CFL... Lulay or Calvillo could drop down with a season ending injury in game 2 and take their respective teams out of the division title running.
That really wasn't at all the purpose of my post.

Moneyguy frequently indicates here or even states that he has inside information and KNOWS what the club thinks about certain players and who they are high on. In other cases he states who he's high on. All I'm stating in response is the prognostications and insider track didn't really pan out all that well.

People can judge for themselves.

I can understand people want a forecast. But by definition that means one that is actually foretelling.

Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 09:23 PM
  #270
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
yeah a little surprised he made it... maybe he looks better on returns in practice than he did in the games?
Quite possible. But its clear he didn't compete, and didn't fight for any yards in either game. He instead went down each time as soon as he was touched.

Not to make a big deal about it but its reminiscent of this club, and an issue, that they play favorites with certain players.

Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 09:31 PM
  #271
BleedingOil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 933
vCash: 50
Lampley was cut and added to the PR

BleedingOil is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
  #272
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
Lampley was cut and added to the PR

My point being why even waste a PR spot? Cut him outright. If you aren't prepared to play pro football you shouldn't be here. Everything I saw in Lampley indicaed to me he wasn't prepared to dial it up and he was extremely tentative. Which quite simply is death for a RB/kick returner. I don't know that we need more of a look.
Theres a night and day difference between somebody that takes the bull by the horns in one start and comes shooting out of a cannon (White) vs somebody that did nothing with two starts (Lampley).

Its pro sports, the guys that aren't prepared to play during a pro camp should go home. period. I suspect with Reed and the Esks though is that Lampley is one of those guys that managed to brown nose his way into a second and third look. Sucks on the football field but probably saying all the right things. Can't see any other reason he'd even be retained on a PR.

Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
  #273
Tad McMikowsky
Retired
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
My point being why even waste a PR spot? Cut him outright. If you aren't prepared to play pro football you shouldn't be here. Everything I saw in Lampley indicaed to me he wasn't prepared to dial it up and he was extremely tentative. Which quite simply is death for a RB/kick returner. I don't know that we need more of a look.
Theres a night and day difference between somebody that takes the bull by the horns in one start and comes shooting out of a cannon (White) vs somebody that did nothing with two starts (Lampley).

Its pro sports, the guys that aren't prepared to play during a pro camp should go home. period. I suspect with Reed and the Esks though is that Lampley is one of those guys that managed to brown nose his way into a second and third look. Sucks on the football field but probably saying all the right things. Can't see any other reason he'd even be retained on a PR.
It's a freaking practice roster spot.

Tad McMikowsky is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:17 PM
  #274
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
It's a freaking practice roster spot.
The intent and proper use of which is to retain players that may actually be, you know, helpful in some way to the pro football team in question. Pro football of course involving a lot of injuries and NEED to retain valued individuals that can step in and play...which again is the whole purpose of a practice squad.

Or alternately lets just waste a spot on another dud.

Replacement is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:40 PM
  #275
McTedi
Registered User
 
McTedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,525
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The intent and proper use of which is to retain players that may actually be, you know, helpful in some way to the pro football team in question. Pro football of course involving a lot of injuries and NEED to retain valued individuals that can step in and play...which again is the whole purpose of a practice squad.

Or alternately lets just waste a spot on another dud.
Lack of a better option??

McTedi is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.