HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2013, 10:48 PM
Heavy Dee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
perect weather. esks. riders. and only 35,000.
goes to show how the team has been run into the ground as it should have easily been 45,000.

and todays game reminds people why they stay away. there were a lot of people around me at the beginning of the game hoping it would be closer than 14-0 after the 1st. that was their best case senario.

I don't blame the fans. I blame the esks management and coaching over the last 6-7 years.
Rick Lalacheur ruined this organization yet no one holds him accountable. I wouldn't hire that guy to run an ice cream stand.

Old
06-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Our kick returns were pathetic as well.

Forgot to add that in there.
If I can add to this that theres no help in sight either.

In TC the Esks were high on Moore, Lampley, Lewis for the kick return game/RB. We waste a complete training camp on 3 guys that won't be here anyway.

People know my opinion on the latter two. Complete junk. Then they release Moore, the only one with any hope of cracking the club this year. Hamilton picks him up taking a bet that he'll be ready in a month or two.

So like the keystone cops we are the esks lurch into the first game of the season with NOBODY recruited for returns in the lineup. Not one return guy made the club. A glaring deficit last year and where we were hopeless and not one guy thats helpful is inserted. We proceed to throw Burnett, White, Koch, probably some DB's, A refrigerator, and the mascot in for returns. WE almost convinced the stumbling drunk in the first row to audition for the walk on part. Predictably we get blown up on returns once again and start every drive in the entire game farther back then we should be. On one play White (god bless him) is fighting for every yard because he doesn't know enough not to do this in the return game. He doesn't know that when guys are swarming you and all around you go down, because only bad things will happen unless you're Gizmo Williams. But the bad thing happened. In fighting for that extra yard a Rider has time to methodically pop the ball from his arm. Turnover. Because yet again we're forcefeeding personnel that don't know the first thing about the return position into a pressure packed very high risk spot.

I'll be clear here, only a team that is incredibly stupid, or doesn't have a clue about the importance of the CFL return game and all that it involves would rotate individuals in and out of that position that are less than experienced at it. This again is INVITING trouble. Worse still its the SECOND year at least that the club has been doing this. Nothing learned. Nothing at all.

It is flipping amazing that an org that had Gizmo Williams forever, and with management and coach that bloody well played with him for years are taking this position so much for granted and so grossly underestimating the importance and momentum swings inherent in this position. Of any club that could underestimate the importance of the return game how on earth could it be this one?

Incomprehensible.

Old
06-29-2013, 11:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
perect weather. esks. riders. and only 35,000.
goes to show how the team has been run into the ground as it should have easily been 45,000.

and todays game reminds people why they stay away. there were a lot of people around me at the beginning of the game hoping it would be closer than 14-0 after the 1st. that was their best case senario.

I don't blame the fans. I blame the esks management and coaching over the last 6-7 years.
I didn't go. Was thinking long and hard about it but decided not to. Had a bad feeling about the game and the season. Which I've amply expressed here throughout.

The game reached the 36-1 infamous scoreline. (thus mocking all of us) before the Riders completely called off the dogs and gave us several mercy pts and possessions.

I mean this game was 36-1 about 5mins into the second half. That bad.

Is it too early to worry still? I'd say not.

Not knocking Reilly either but how can a pro QB run that passing play that was called in from the bench. You gotta do something else there. That was an insane call. What on earth good can come from throwing the ball 15yds from your 5yd lline straight up the middle on the last play of the half. Why do this? Sorry, its got to the point where the Org HAS to start explaining incomprehensible plays like this to its fanbase because really why should anybody go and watch this freaking debacle?

Trained Dancing bears wearing helmets, tutus on rollerskates would be far more entertaining.

Last edited by Replacement: 06-29-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nan, it was never a trade which I stated. It was a salary dump so that the club could move in other directions and build out the team in different ways.

Last season sucked. It was like a surreal dream sequence season. Hopefully this nightmare is different.

Re: Ray though when is the last time he tossed 4 TD passes in a game playing for the Esks?

Again this is a different, revitalized Ray who apparently didn't mind playing elsewhere. We weren't getting this performance from Ray here.
Maybe the question that really needs to be asked is...when was the last time (prior to his time in Toronto) that Ray had a strong offensive line and a strong OC?

Old
06-29-2013, 11:57 PM
Halibut

Our defence sucked worse than the O today and that's saying something. Werent ready for the start and by the time they woke up we were down 14 points. Our d never held the riders back and the entire first half we were starting from deep in our own end.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:00 AM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
I do not like Chambers.

Offensive line is terrible once again.

That is all.
Chambers has the arms of a Raptor. Seems way too chicken to play football.

Old
06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
AJGass4

Replacement, you know I value your opinion on these boards so I have to ask.........all of these guys that are on the coaching staff played football did they not/ In fact, Hervey played for a great Eskimos team. He should know first hand how important every aspect is in the CFL and if this is his work, he gets a big fat F from me.

No return guy, a play book a kindergarten kid could draw up and so many missed tackles it was beyond comprehensible.

I was so embarrassed today.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:33 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Its not the first time I drove 6 hours round trip to Edmonton to watch a bad football team and it probably wont be the last. That said these trips will be fewer and farther between as long as it remains the Reed and Rhodes s**t show.

Poor play calling....poor defence...poor special teams....poor O-line....poor decisions by an older rookie QB....poor ability to adjust on defence and offence.

Bad football team...bad coaching.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:37 AM
MoneyGuy

Ha, I'm about as far from Edmonton as you can get and still be on this planet and with poor Internet connectivity so just tuned in to find out the score. Oh, well, there are other things to do here but dwell on this debacle.

I take it we still own the No. 7 draft choice?

Old
06-30-2013, 05:25 AM
aleshemsky83

I have to give it up to replacement, most of his posts have at least a bit of craziness, this time the analysis is pretty spot on,

1)no return game for the 2nd straight year

2)our young hotshot starter just had an absolute nuclear meltdown for 55 solid minutes until he was pulled.

I'm concerned, I won't lie.

Old
06-30-2013, 06:23 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
Who started this fall to disgrace? What is it with our teams? Between the Oilers and the Esks, I seriously wonder how such great franchises could have been butchered to the point of being laughing stocks.

At the least the Oilers are somewhat exciting. The display put on in a season opener is just horrific.
As bad as the Esks are, and they are bad, the Oilers are much more pathetic. Seven years and counting with no playoffs.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:13 AM
AJGass4

I guess I've just had it with the Esks and their whole, "We will compete" thing. I keep waiting. And it's not necessarily the players I am disgusted with, it's more coaching and management that I shake my head at.

I know that we've made the playoffs the past few years, but really, were we a threat at all going into them? I don't think so.

I'm so not impressed with any aspect of their game right now. For the first quarter, it was handoff, get stuffed. Throw, maybe a first down and then repeat. It's so bloody predictable and I'm tired of it.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:18 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Kavis Reed had no business coaching this team this year. Zero. I guess all the "Tillman dumped all the responsibilities of the gm" on Reed was a bunch of brown bananas.

Hiring Ed Hervey was a massive fail. Somehow the team got worse from last year till now.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:46 AM
AJGass4

That is what I cannot understand I am the Liquor.

Seriously, I've watched football for many years and I had the pleasure of watching us be so dominant it was almost embarrassing but how did we get where we are?

It's not like our coaching staff and management haven't played the game and yet Hervey did nothing to improve the team, Kavis is terrible and I see absolutely no end in sight to this.

I at least understand how the Oilers fell apart. Money, big egos and a bad reputation. With the Eskimos it's like we have gift wrapped talented players to other teams and received nothing in return.

Old
06-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Halibut

They sure didnt look ready for the start of that game especially the defence lack of preparation again this year with this coaching staff.

Maybe the riders are the best team in the league this year and we werent as bad as we looked, maybe we just need time to gel and come together as a team it's still early. Either way they have a lot of work to do.

I gave up my season seats after last season but with the nice weather and some hope after the BC game I bought tickets to this. Doubt that's happening again this season.

Old
06-30-2013, 08:11 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
They sure didnt look ready for the start of that game especially the defence lack of preparation again this year with this coaching staff.

Maybe the riders are the best team in the league this year and we werent as bad as we looked, maybe we just need time to gel and come together as a team it's still early. Either way they have a lot of work to do.

I gave up my season seats after last season but with the nice weather and some hope after the BC game I bought tickets to this. Doubt that's happening again this season.
the first half of this season is going to be pretty terrible, no question about that

what kills me, is that everybody and their mother knows that the Oline has been a major, major, major problem for the past 5 years.... yet year after year, nothing is done about it... nothing... line play is more important than anything else in football, you'd think football people would know this

Old
06-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Reed got a free pass last season because of the Tillman side drama, but this season he's got to be under the microscope.

The team is always unprepared to play, lacks half time adjustments and has no discipline to speak of. I don't care how well his motivational speaking is, if he doesn't get results, then he shouldn't be here. Even with last years **** show, he made some exceptionally questionable decisions. The Run-Pass ratio(especially when we had ****ing Jyles at QB), starting Joseph over Nichols in the playoffs(which was ridiculous) and the continuous stupid penalties taken.

The O-line is a major worrying point. I don't care if it's Reilly or Ray, if your constantly getting hit or having no time, your going to to struggle. I know there is a few new comers and they might need to gel, but man did they look poor in the game.

06-30-2013, 09:19 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Its not the first time I drove 6 hours round trip to Edmonton to watch a bad football team and it probably wont be the last. That said these trips will be fewer and farther between as long as it remains the Reed and Rhodes s**t show.

Poor play calling....poor defence...poor special teams....poor O-line....poor decisions by an older rookie QB....poor ability to adjust on defence and offence.

^that about says it all. thankfully i PVR'd this dog's breakfast of a game and was able to fast forward it into about an hour or so.

Old
06-30-2013, 09:52 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
will love to read how the kool-aid drinkers will spin positives out of this game.

Upon sober reflection, I'm still digusted by what the esks put on the field.

the only part of the game I was somewhat happy with was special teams. I thought shaw and the punt coverage team did quite well.

Old
06-30-2013, 10:53 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

You guys will be better off when Kavis Reed is canned. How Hervey kept him around, I cannot understand.

I'm a Rider fan, and even I was pissed off when Reed Okayed that play at the end of the first half. When is that ever a good decision?? Even if the pass is incomplete, you still risk injury in a time when the chance of success is extremely low percentage.

I mean, if you're at mid-field, sure, take a stab. But in your own red zone? No. Take a knee. Run the ball.

Passing the ball is the WORST option in that situation. And to compound that, relying on a first year startin QB to make that pass? Dumb.

I respect that Reed took ownership of his mistake, but sometimes, you have to wonder.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I see people are blaming the O line once again. IMO its shortsighted. We've changed up the Oline countless times through the years. We have some good personnel on the line, big, strong, shouldn't be the problem.

Heres the problems:

1) Bad execution. Our plays are not run crisp, They are slow developing plays.

2) We lack quick hitter plays in the book. Teams once again blitz us because we don't have plays to counter that.

3)We telegraph so much of what we do. Its as if D's have our playbook. Again bad execution, lack of play action, lack of stunts, fakes etc.

4)Our entire pass first offense requires too many steamboats. We're a pass first offense that has Fred Stamps as reliable receiver. Maybe Koch. Not much else. What we have is a group of recievers that require considerable time to get open. We don't have the sharp pattern runners, the guys that get open almost immediately, the guys that offer a target almost from the snap of the ball. A guy like Terry Vaughn did that for fun. We've had nobody like that for years.

Changing up the Oline every other week isn't going to be the answer. But its always the easiest excuse for an offensive scheme that is ailing. The end of the half play selection should tell you everything you need to know about how this offense is being coached.

Old
06-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

I respect that Reed took ownership of his mistake, but sometimes, you have to wonder.
Reed is good at this, he's had a lot of practice.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:44 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post

It's easy to take ownership of things that you never expect to be held accountable for.
Let's see if he is still willing to take ownership for these types of debacles later on in the season when his job is actually in jeopardy which it most likely will be.

Old
06-30-2013, 01:59 PM
timekeep

Reed is lucky to be here for another season, he should never have been a HC. Lots of heat on the Oline, but ultimately that is the GMs responsibility to get better players, which they haven't for about 5 years now. Edmonton has traditionally been a pass first team, electing to run a short dump pass over a run. This game plan is very tough on the O-line to go into pass protection over and over. Hervey shot off his mouth about the O-line but he is the one that holds the keys to the players on the team.

But we can't ignore that the gameplan sucked and the team didn't look prepared to play again. That is on the HC.

Old
06-30-2013, 03:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Reed got a free pass last season because of the Tillman side drama, but this season he's got to be under the microscope.

The team is always unprepared to play, lacks half time adjustments and has no discipline to speak of. I don't care how well his motivational speaking is, if he doesn't get results, then he shouldn't be here. Even with last years **** show, he made some exceptionally questionable decisions. The Run-Pass ratio(especially when we had ****ing Jyles at QB), starting Joseph over Nichols in the playoffs(which was ridiculous) and the continuous stupid penalties taken.

The O-line is a major worrying point. I don't care if it's Reilly or Ray, if your constantly getting hit or having no time, your going to to struggle. I know there is a few new comers and they might need to gel, but man did they look poor in the game.
I don't understand why Reed got this pass from anybody (not saying you). I don't follow the logic of it.

It was a convenient after the fact fabrication the org used to absolve Reed of any responsibility in the outright confusion that was taking place on the field every game. With Reed often right in the middle of creating that confusion.
The org would like to have me, and you believe that Reed was distracted from *managing* the club and that this interfered with him coaching this club. The team would like us to believe that Tillman, from 100's of miles away, was creating so much confusion that he was the fault of everything. Again convenient to blame everything on the exiting guy. Tillman was bad, yes, but he wasn't coaching the club. Occams razor deduction is that poor coach was poor coach.

There is no mystery, illusion, need to adjust the set. Reed is a bad coach and we already know this to be true. Hervey and the org unfortunately are sticking with the guy apparently requiring more bad returns on an already bad investment. We're supposed to sit here patiently and gobble up tickets while the Eskimos org discovers obvious..

Closed Thread