HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 01:39 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How many times did they have to call the 50-50?
Just once but they waited until much later than they usually do and they didn't announce the winner until the game was over. There were literally seconds left on the clock. I guess they were embarrassed by the amount of people in the stands and tried to make sure that some people stuck around.

Old
07-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
One thought that has to be considered is that when the club is so heavily reliant on some individuals to obtain all its results such individuals get hurt and banged up. This including Stamps, Bowman, Charles, and yes, Marcus Howard(sometimes I see things more after additional time to reflect) or Sherrit as well.

This club often has a tendency to ride on others backs. Too many passengers and guys not taking bulls by the horn is a theme. But this is often the case with a team with a lot of airlifted personnel where a team concept doesn't have time to take hold.

ps Arron Grimes (sp?) is impressive. Has done some incredible things one on one against some of the hardest assignments. Sure he's given up some gainers but teams are really going after him and trying to light him up. He could use more help from other *teammates* who are busy in the secondary doing nothing.
Every team has their best players, who are relied upon to do the most. You act like this is something unique to the Eskimos. Howard being injured has to do with them relying on him too much? lol. Stamps? He's barely played this season. Bowman hasn't played in a year. Where is your evidence?

Old
07-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Every team has their best players, who are relied upon to do the most. You act like this is something unique to the Eskimos. Howard being injured has to do with them relying on him too much? lol. Stamps? He's barely played this season. Bowman hasn't played in a year. Where is your evidence?
Its only a theory. When you see a receiver like Stamps or Bowman precariously laying out for questionable throws well into suicide territory you know that they are doing that because the club desperately needs some plays, which nobody else is producing. You also know that a Stamps or Bowman will receive punishing hits and tight coverage every game, because really who else is there to worry about.

Last year I did some research on this and there were games where in their pro career we were dressing 5 receivers that had a combined 10 pro career TD's

This is like having a hockey PP forward unit of Moe, Curly, and Larry, and wondering why they don't score. To his credit Koch has done something with the opportunity but this is a guy who had 700yds and only 3TD's in 3yrs of college football and a very limited pro career before coming here.

Old
07-15-2013, 02:22 PM
lere2001

Quote:
Its only a theory. When you see a receiver like Stamps or Bowman precariously laying out for questionable throws well into suicide territory you know that they are doing that because the club desperately needs some plays, which nobody else is producing. You also know that a Stamps or Bowman will receive punishing hits and tight coverage every game, because really who else is there to worry about.

Last year I did some research on this and there were games where in their pro career we were dressing 5 receivers that had a combined 10 pro career TD's

This is like having a hockey PP forward unit of Moe, Curly, and Larry, and wondering why they don't score. To his credit Koch has done something with the opportunity but this is a guy who had 700yds and only 3TD's in 3yrs of college football and a very limited pro career before coming here.
Or it could also be because they're receivers and it's kind of their job to make those catches.

But I agree, our WR's aren't the best bunch out there. And we lack a deep threat. Hell, last game I don't think we attempted a throw over 15 yards

Old
07-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
Or it could also be because they're receivers and it's kind of their job to make those catches.

But I agree, our WR's aren't the best bunch out there. And we lack a deep threat. Hell, last game I don't think we attempted a throw over 15 yards
We have a deep threat in the new dude who made the team. The problem is the QB and oc lose confidence if the oline is not great and the weather is poor.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
I never really thought of the term deep threat in a rainy windy game.

My biggest concern is the poor play calling.

Did Charles get double digits for touches?

Old
07-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I never really thought of the term deep threat in a rainy windy game.

My biggest concern is the poor play calling.

Did Charles get double digits for touches?
He only ran the ball ten times in the game and only once by my count in the second half.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
We have a deep threat in the new dude who made the team. The problem is the QB and oc lose confidence if the oline is not great and the weather is poor.
McSweeney? This is a trackstar with straight up speed that doesn't know a thing about running patterns, shaking defenders, fakes, slowing up, then accelerating etc. This is a guy with not enough pro experience at Receiver to be much use in the dire situation we find ourselves. A guy like this potential help with excellent coaching in a year or so. This is almost guaranteed not to occur here.

As it is all DB's have to do is watch some game film, give some space, and watch Mcsweeney run in a straight line down after down as if he's a drag racer. At this point he's getting open if theres blown coverage, somebody stumbles, or falls asleep. A guy like this will get 1 or 2 catches a night if that until he learns some tricks in the position.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:40 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
It's a good thing the east is so incompetent because I'm not sure we are beating any of the western teams this year.

Old
07-15-2013, 03:43 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He only ran the ball ten times in the game and only once by my count in the second half.
Which tells me regardless of the weather and regardless of which receivers were actually playing that the deep threat probably isn't there because the d knows we are pass-pass-punt.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:39 PM
MoneyGuy

Brutal game, brutal start. I've figured it out. I've been away so have not seen one of our games yet. I'm the problem. Apology. It's on me. I'll be there next game so it's guaranteed-win night. Go, Eskies.

Old
07-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's a good thing the east is so incompetent because I'm not sure we are beating any of the western teams this year.
The next few weeks should be interesting, we'll see how we stand against the Eastern teams. First week showed we cant handle the Riders, this weekend wasnt great against the Lions but we at least competed for half the game. Our defence was working until they made adjustments at the half.

At this point it looks like a foregone conclusion we end up 4th in the west but we might crossover. Not sure that's a good thing. Somebody might believe the coaches achieved something.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:33 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Did anyone else hear the interview on Gregor's show with the Eskie's OC? Maybe it was just the part that I heard, but that guy made no sense at all.

To paraphrase his interview, 'Excuse, excuse, falsehood, cliche, repeat'. Just brutal. But I guess that is the kind of guy the Eskies like. He's just following Reed's example. Still super happy about that extension.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
One thought that has to be considered is that when the club is so heavily reliant on some individuals to obtain all its results such individuals get hurt and banged up. This including Stamps, Bowman, Charles, and yes, Marcus Howard(sometimes I see things more after additional time to reflect) or Sherrit as well.

This club often has a tendency to ride on others backs. Too many passengers and guys not taking bulls by the horn is a theme. But this is often the case with a team with a lot of airlifted personnel where a team concept doesn't have time to take hold.

ps Arron Grimes (sp?) is impressive. Has done some incredible things one on one against some of the hardest assignments. Sure he's given up some gainers but teams are really going after him and trying to light him up. He could use more help from other *teammates* who are busy in the secondary doing nothing.
I don't think us relying on them heavily has anything to do with their tendency to get injured, unless it comes down to situations where they're not properly healed but getting told to get out there anyway. With our coaching staff, who knows.

Three games in and we're already starting to think crossover. The East Division looks like its usual self, so it is a distinct possibility. Of course they'll get wallpapered by whoever they play, but since they made the playoffs, extensions for everyone.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Did anyone else hear the interview on Gregor's show with the Eskie's OC? Maybe it was just the part that I heard, but that guy made no sense at all.

To paraphrase his interview, 'Excuse, excuse, falsehood, cliche, repeat'. Just brutal. But I guess that is the kind of guy the Eskies like. He's just following Reed's example. Still super happy about that extension.
Idiots tend to surround themselves with other idiots in an attempt to make themselves look smarter than they are. Look how long Crandell survived as OC. We've just gone and found another one to take over. It's not surprising that Rich Stubler sized the situation up and got the hell out after one year. The only moderately successful year we've had in the last 7 as it turns out.

Old
07-15-2013, 05:52 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Idiots tend to surround themselves with other idiots in an attempt to make themselves look smarter than they are. Look how long Crandell survived as OC. We've just gone and found another one to take over. It's not surprising that Rich Stubler sized the situation up and got the hell out after one year. The only moderately successful year we've had in the last 7 as it turns out.
Yup. The really scary thing is this team hasn't even hit rock bottom yet. It's going to take at least another season or two of fans not renewing their season tix before the Eskies president is fired(the real problem, imo). And then we just have to hope they hire somebody smart, who knows the game, and who can find a good GM/coaching group.

It's going to be another sucky few years in Eskie-ville.

Old
07-15-2013, 08:29 PM
AJGass4

Seriously, you don't even have to be a freaking football legend to come up with some sort of offensive playbook do you?

I'm a girl and I think I could at least change something up. And why is it that our team does not adjust at the half in any way, shape or form. Just reminds me of last season when we would have a lead, the coach from the other team would adjust and we'd get beat.

Seven other teams have this figured out.

Old
07-15-2013, 10:05 PM
chrisj

I'll give Dan Tencer some credit tonight.

He brought up what a loose cannon Kavis Reed can be on the sidelines in the game (yelling at players, etc), his actions after the game last week (his strange post game interview, etc) and wondered if Kavis' irrational behaviour as coach is rubbing off on the team, and that's part of the reason they are taking so many stupid penalties.

Tone from the top idea.

He might have a point.

Old
07-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post

Chambers dropped a 20-yarder that hit him, wide open, in the numbers, in the first half. After that, zip. No effort to stretch the field, no anything.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:40 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
That post game presser with Reed was really illuminating IMO. I had no idea the presser was a full 20 minutes after the room opened until Dave Campbell reported it. So if the room opened approx 10 minutes after the game then Kavis 'Drama Queen' Reed had a full 30 minutes to make a decision to compose himself and be professional for the presser.

He was either unable to compose himself or made a choice to go with the high drama. Either way its a little disturbing IMO.
The man is either unstable and barley able to control his emotions or he manufactures drama for the benefit of an audience.

The Esks are so embarrassed by Reeds display they have pulled the video from their website. That in and of itself speaks volumes.

Luckily (for those that haven't seen this embarrassment) its still available at the CFL site....

http://cfl.ca/video/index?sub_channel=1733

Its difficult to know if this episode is for the benefit of the fans and media or if Kavis really has difficulty controlling himself. The fact that he becomes so calm toward the end of the presser is really odd IMO.

I wonder how the Assistants feel about having a Drama Queen for a boss?
Based on the teams performance and Reeds antics I think its starting to become clear that Kavis is in over his head.

What has happened to this once proud organization?

Who/What are the constants between the DM 3h!t show and the current 3h!t show?

Old
07-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Who/What are the constants between the DM 3h!t show and the current 3h!t show?
A board and a team president that don't know jack about the realities of football. both of the last two presidents LeLacheur and Rhodes have been charmed by coaches to the point they thought they were the greatest things since sliced bread.

I am a big Hervey supporter but player movement aside I was totally aghast at Reed getting an extension when he did.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Chambers dropped a 20-yarder that hit him, wide open, in the numbers, in the first half. After that, zip. No effort to stretch the field, no anything.
T-Rex Chambers is his new nickname.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:50 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'll give Dan Tencer some credit tonight.

He brought up what a loose cannon Kavis Reed can be on the sidelines in the game (yelling at players, etc), his actions after the game last week (his strange post game interview, etc) and wondered if Kavis' irrational behaviour as coach is rubbing off on the team, and that's part of the reason they are taking so many stupid penalties.

Tone from the top idea.

He might have a point.
Good for Dan.

I have given Millhouse a lot of heat over the years but he deserves some credit for asking this question.

Old
07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
A board and a team president that don't know jack about the realities of football. both of the last two presidents LeLacheur and Rhodes have been charmed by coaches to the point they thought they were the greatest things since sliced bread.

I am a big Hervey supporter but player movement aside I was totally aghast at Reed getting an extension when he did.
Rhodes is clearly a problem but was he in place for the DM years as well?

Old
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Good for Dan.

I have given Millhouse a lot of heat over the years but he deserves some credit for asking this question.
That is totally a duh obvious observation that was made by others two years ago, it is not something the least bit new.

Closed Thread