HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 09:29 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

vCash: 500
Rider fan checking in... Any word on Nichols? Felt bad for the guy. I suppose if there's any "good" news, it was his other knee.

Also, it's pre-season. These games are used to evaluate a lot of the talent you've brought in. I wouldn't put much, or any stock into these games because you're seeing vanilla offense and vanilla defense and a lot of rookies.

Also, there's something about Jacory Harris that makes me think that this guy will be the next big QB in Edmonton... not Nichols or Reilly. He's a young guy who is only going to get better. Crompton ain't bad either.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
I'm looking at a few Jacory Harris series from yesterdays game and i like this guy, he reminds me a lot of Casey Printers.

edit: I really like that crompton guy too, he's got a rocket arm.

2:that last throw wasn't too pretty, whatever
Crompton did have a cannon, like shockingly good. He didn't play as well as Harris IMO. Harris was pretty impressive IMO.

As to the recievers, they were bad. Gant in particular did not look like a player.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
Crompton did have a cannon, like shockingly good. He didn't play as well as Harris IMO. Harris was pretty impressive IMO.

As to the recievers, they were bad. Gant in particular did not look like a player.
That's funny - I have a totally different assessment of the game than you.

I thought Harris looked pretty lost out there and outside of his legs, I don't think he has much to offer at this level yet. Crompton actually really impressed me - he has a great arm and could end up being a good pocket passer in this league with a little fine tuning.

As for Gant, I thought he was one of our best receivers. He certainly had the one horrible deflection but he looked pretty solid outside of that. I wouldn't be shocked if ends up being our #4 or #5 receiver (depending on how Koch looks).

06-15-2013, 10:01 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@Morley_Scott: Esks say Tavoy Moore out indefinitely MRI on knee next week. I think he injured it on first offensive play of game after his return.

@dantencer: Full press release for minimal update on Moore. Zero mention of Nichols. Interesting PR decision. RT @Morley_Scott No update Matt Nichols.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@Morley_Scott: Esks say Tavoy Moore out indefinitely MRI on knee next week. I think he injured it on first offensive play of game after his return.

@dantencer: Full press release for minimal update on Moore. Zero mention of Nichols. Interesting PR decision. RT @Morley_Scott No update Matt Nichols.
The great promised "next one" return guy gets seriously injured on the first play in the first exhibition season and is out indefinitely. jebus, the one guy that way hyped through camp is gone before we even got a chance to see him.

Tough being an esks fan.

Old
06-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
That's funny - I have a totally different assessment of the game than you.

I thought Harris looked pretty lost out there and outside of his legs, I don't think he has much to offer at this level yet. Crompton actually really impressed me - he has a great arm and could end up being a good pocket passer in this league with a little fine tuning.

As for Gant, I thought he was one of our best receivers. He certainly had the one horrible deflection but he looked pretty solid outside of that. I wouldn't be shocked if ends up being our #4 or #5 receiver (depending on how Koch looks).
I was at the game and with the wife, sometimes i find it's not as easy to tell who's been good from the bottom deck. You have a great view but it's not like TV. The scoreboard was also just pumping out the adds on the one side and poor on replays, wasn't impressed by that.

Don't get me wrong i thought Compton was solid, i was impressed. But he certainly made his mistakes... Harris had his recievers make some mistakes, and was excellent at gaining time in the pocket with some solid footwork. Don't get me wrong he could easily be Steven Jyles. However being an excellent running QB usually means being mediocre in the pocket is good enough.

Gant had poor hands, he caused the 2nd interception that lead to a touchdown with his bobble. I remember a couple of other poor plays too. They gave him a lot of looks i'll give you that. Perhaps he's a solid route runner, but the mitts got to get better. That short guy who missed the bomb, can't remember his name (Lawerence?), he also needs to get better.

Old
06-16-2013, 12:03 AM
rosemount289

Good................???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Some points from last nightís game.

1. I hope the injuries to Tavoy Moore and Nichols arenít serious. Both will be key players if healthy. Moore is your KR of the future, if heís healthy.
2. Kyle Norris is a terrific linebacker. The kid has this team made if he can play like that. Well done, Ed Hervey.
3. Rennie Curran looked dynamite at LB. I hope they can find a way to keep him around, but heís in tough. They have a wealth of riches at LB, which will be a team strength.
4. Iím worried about our O-line. It looked brutal last night. Our QBs will struggle if they donít get protection.
5. Lindsey Witten looked really good on the D-line, although heís in tough against the likes of Howard, Lang, Willis and Sewell. Justin Capicciotti looked good. Lang is your guy to watch this season, as I have said. This line will be the strength of the team.
6. Odell Willis didnít impress me at all. If he doesnít play better, he may not even make this team.
7. Jonathan Crompton looked great at QB and has a cannon for an arm. Jacory Harris looked OK with a poor offence but Iíd say that Crompton passed him on the chart. He reminded me of a young Ricky Ray.
8. With or without Nichols, Joseph is on this team, as I also said.
9. Ed Gant looked good. Heís big and can catch and run. By the time Adarius Bowman returns after nine games, I think Gant will be established. Gant will be the season surprise at receiver. Watch out. Isaiah Sweeney looked good on that long touchdown with the blazing speed, but he dropped some passes. Heís in tough at WR and I donít see him making the team. I wonder if he can play KR.
10. IĎm worried who is going to replace Rod Williams and Weldon Brown in the backfield. Hamilton free-agent Marcell Young looked good. No one else impressed me.

I think itís pathetic that someone is writing off our receivers already. Give them a bit of time and they will be among the best in the league. There is great talent there. However, they wonít show their full potential unless the line can protect the QBs well enough to get the ball to these excellent receivers.

Ten wins!
Thought your 10 point assessments were pretty bang on........But I though Jacory Harris look better than Crompton...............!!!

Old
06-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Carter? Lame. Note he's the guy that doesn't react to tipped ball, puts one hand on the rider and flat out lets him go for a TD. Why Carter is even in camp after a disaster of a season last year is anybodies guess. He's hopeless, get rid of him. Total weak link. Worst receiver I've seen in years which is saying a lot here.
finally coming online. My buddy was yelling after this play. he thought Carter shoudn't have had even 5 more minutes as an eskimo, and should have been cut immediately and sent to the locker room and out of the stadium. what ever happened to never quitting on a play? digusting.

not a good game to watch. going to be a lot of easy cuts as there were a lot fo players that were crap.
Sucks about Nichols. was a pretty harmless play that he got hurt on. he got pushed and fell over. not big hit, no dirty play, just bad luck.

As for the new seats. I didn't gain any weight over the offseason, so I would love to knwo where the extra 2 inches of chair are. probably in the armrests as it sure wasn't where you put your butts. and the rider green of the seats in the upper deck looks AWFUL.

Old
06-16-2013, 01:43 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post
Thought your 10 point assessments were pretty bang on........But I though Jacory Harris look better than Crompton...............!!!
I was impressed with Harris as well...guy looks like a gamer. Crompton was impressive as well. The Esks may need to be pretty creative on final cut down day. I highly doubt that Joseph makes the squad...experience or no experience...the Esks need to use his spot on one of Harris or Crompton.

I was also impressed with Norris...could be the steal of the draft. Curran and Richard looked like they could be keepers as well. Curran looks like a leader and will make the team. Richard may end up with a PR spot.

I agree, that Odell Willis has his work cut out for himself. Brandon Lang is the real deal and will be on the team....whether or not it's as a back up remains to be seen.

The Esks have an embarassment of riches at DL and LB. The DB's are going to need to step up...aside from the ball hawking ability of Thompson...I am really worried about that groups coverage abilities. Hopefully Burnett will pick up where he left off and the new guys step up. Should be interesting.

Exciting camp so far with many questions left to answer, but I like the direction that Hervey and Reed are heading in.

Old
06-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
I was impressed with Harris as well...guy looks like a gamer. Crompton was impressive as well. The Esks may need to be pretty creative on final cut down day. I highly doubt that Joseph makes the squad...experience or no experience...the Esks need to use his spot on one of Harris or Crompton.
The fact that Joseph is even a part of training camp is just laughable. If anything, he's a bad influence around Crompton & Harris. I mean, the guy is famed for his overthrows so i don't see how he can benefit those two guys. However, we all know that the only reason he's even still around this club is because he's besties with Kavis.

Old
06-17-2013, 02:42 PM
MoneyGuy

I'm hearing that Nichols may now be out a month, not great but it could be a lot worse. Just think, you could be one hit away from hearing this: Starting at quarterback, Kerry Joseph.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:04 PM
Coldhardmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo44 View Post
I was at the game and with the wife, sometimes i find it's not as easy to tell who's been good from the bottom deck. You have a great view but it's not like TV. The scoreboard was also just pumping out the adds on the one side and poor on replays, wasn't impressed by that.
Just so everyone knows a little about how that scoreboard works....

The small "matrix" board was malfunctioning for the pre-season game which is why there was ONLY ads the entire time and no score/time or anything.

As for replays the Eskimos are very strict with what can be shown so anything too interesting is kind of not allowed, worried about challenges etc.

Old
06-17-2013, 03:43 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Nichols is officially "injury-prone"

not good news for a Esks...Riley, it's your job to lose now

Old
06-17-2013, 05:08 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

@WFPEdTait: Hearing that Jonathan Hefney has three teams chasing him: Calgary, Edmonton and Montreal. He won't be out of work long. #Bombers #bn

Old
06-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardmitch View Post
Just so everyone knows a little about how that scoreboard works....

The small "matrix" board was malfunctioning for the pre-season game which is why there was ONLY ads the entire time and no score/time or anything.

As for replays the Eskimos are very strict with what can be shown so anything too interesting is kind of not allowed, worried about challenges etc.
Yeah i figured there had to be something going on, i assumed it was a preseason only thing. The typical play i don't think is too much of an issue in terms of the challenge factor, i never remember the replays being poor at the stadium.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Calgary Stampeders cuts: Import OL Leonardo Bates, Import WR Josue Paul, Import WR Shaky Smithson, Import WR Terence Jeffers-Harris, Import DL Aronde Stanton, Import LB Rod Davis, Import DB Jerett Sanderson, Import DB Jalil Johnson.

Rod Davis??

Old
06-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'm hearing that Nichols may now be out a month, not great but it could be a lot worse. Just think, you could be one hit away from hearing this: Starting at quarterback, Kerry Joseph.
Pathetic that Harris and Crompton would likely BOTH be cut to keep this fossil around when Nichols is healthy.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Really curious take from Hervey today. Blaming the Oline.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjourn...2-7054439d9e11

I see it differently.

Could they play better? Sure, did they play well enough to get the W? Yes.

The problem on Friday as usual is not completing enough strikes, not establishing any ground game, having a predictable offense and passing on vast majority of downs.

This would presumably be on Reed but you won't hearing that from Hervey.

Also, a little odd that our first sting QB's got sacked more than 3rd and 4th depth guys who read heat better and reacted to it.

Still, the strangest take Hervey makes is this:

Quote:
With all five players on the line - left tackle Cliff Louis, left guard Matt O'Donnell, centre Gord Hinse, Rottier at right guard and Cliff Louis at right tackle - either learning new positions or learning teammates, Hervey noted that there is a need for patience with the players. To an extent.

"They have to jell and we're not going to rush them per se, but there is a sense of urgency because the season does start here in a couple of weeks," he said.

"There's no such thing as a pre-season injury that you can come back from for the regular season. We want to make sure we can protect our quarterback here in the preseason and have that follow through, carry through to the regular season."
First of all this is the first game the line has played together and with some changes and not knowing anything about the tendency of the QB's behind them and not being helped much by a no run playbook in an exhibition game where we pretty much didn't even have a backfield.

But one thing is extremely odd. Hervey mentioning the injury to Nichols in the context of the Oline. Except that as we know Nichols got injured trying to stop a TD after a bonehead play by Gant on his own 25yd line where he pops the ball up on an easy catch allowing an easy pick and score. Not only did Gant pop the ball up he made the cardinal sin of not fighting for that tip ball and not making amends after his screw up. A pro receiver looking right at the ball should not have that happen to them. period. Had time, easy catch, amateur mistake. That was the bigges mistake in the game and no mention of it from Hervey.

On a positive note Dobson Collins got his walking papers again but why was he here in the first place? Needed a place to stay for a month...? What kind of football club needs to evaluate junk like Collins and Carter further? If the players had a green/gold game and got to pick sides these would be he last receivers picked. Somebody might pick a waterboy instead..

Last edited by Replacement: 06-17-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With all five players on the line - left tackle Cliff Louis, left guard Matt O'Donnell, centre Gord Hinse, Rottier at right guard and Cliff Louis at right tackle - either learning new positions or learning teammates, Hervey noted that there is a need for patience with the players. To an extent.
It's no wonder they're having trouble with this guy playing both positions. Jumping from one side of the line to the other ain't easy.

Old
06-17-2013, 09:12 PM
aleshemsky83

All I know is the esks better hang on to Harris and Crompton, after seeing guys like Jared Zabransky, Eric Ward, and Stefan Lefors we need a young QB that might be able to play some day.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Nichols out for the season. Torn ACL

Old
06-18-2013, 09:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
If the O-Line is that bad, then maybe Hervey needs to look into the mirror. All off-season the talk was the Qb's and how he wanted to change that O-Line. Who's fault is it that the O-Line he built isn't as good as he expected?

Old
06-18-2013, 09:28 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug
Nichols out for the season. Torn ACL
Ladies and gentlemen, your starting quarterback, Kerry Joseph.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
GreatKeith

Had little reason to watch this season and now there's less. Gong show

Old
06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
jadeddog

well thats about as bad of news as you could imagine, feel really sorry for nichols... works his arse off all off-season to get ready for the season, and he has a decent chance of becoming a starter and then this happens on a stupid play in the first pre-season game

i always thought reilly would win the starting job, but i don't like the idea of joseph being one injury away from being on the field... i hope harris or crompton can learn quickly enough to be the backup

Closed Thread