HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Rhodes is clearly a problem but was he in place for the DM years as well?
No Lelachuer was in charge then. He got charmed by DM because DM (like Reed) had to take over gm duties on the football side. He fell in love with the guy, said DM would be here as long as DM wanted to be.

Unbelievably after the DM debacle and the hiring of Rhodes the Esks made RL part of the search team that picked Tillman.

The board of governors showing great brain power, after seeing a team president that was all business and no football and the problems with that promptly hired another guy that was all business and no football. Rhodes then fell in love with Reed, just as RL did to Maciocia.

Ground hog day in Eskie land.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:28 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
That is totally a duh obvious observation that was made by others two years ago, it is not something the least bit new.
Thats true but the fact that Millhouse works for the station that has broadcasting rights usually means he tows the company line.

This is a big step for Millhouse.

Old
07-16-2013, 04:30 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
No Lelachuer was in charge then. He got charmed by DM because DM (like Reed) had to take over gm duties on the football side. He fell in love with the guy, said DM would be here as long as DM wanted to be.

Unbelievably after the DM debacle and the hiring of Rhodes the Esks made RL part of the search team that picked Tillman.

The board of governors showing great brain power, after seeing a team president that was all business and no football and the problems with that promptly hired another guy that was all business and no football. Rhodes then fell in love with Reed, just as RL did to Maciocia.

I was not aware of the relationship between RL and DM.

Thanks for that.

So why is it that the board thinks its a good idea to have non football people making football decisions?

Thats a question I would be asking if I was a season ticket holder.

Old
07-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Heavy Dee

Quote:

you are one of the few who understands this. it amazes me that RL has escaped ANY media scrutiny for his handling of the EEFC. I twitte Terry Jones all the time to show some balls and call him out, which he refuses.

Rhodes might be the worst hire of all. ever listen to this guy speak? No wonder he got canned from Reebok. Fleming should have been the hire, but RL wanted a 'marketing" guy. Nice call RL...their senior corporate sales guy calls me all the time looking to renew my tickets, which I refuse. he says they are 'struggling' with corporate sponsorship, well no ****!

Old
07-17-2013, 08:44 AM
Kyle McMahon

The Eskimos now emulate the Oilers model. Failure is rewarded. How many other coaches have been given an extension the day after getting their **** filled in at the home opener? The Maciocia years set the precedent for this sort of bizarre behavior from the organization.

They also are fully onboard with the Oilers buddy system/old boys club. Reed let his buddy Crandell screw us over, Hervey is going to let his buddy Reed screw us over. And Hervey will probably be rewarded for it with a big extension. Kavis MacTavish and Ed Lowe. At least Marcus Buchberger is out of the picture this year.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:22 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
The Eskimos now emulate the Oilers model. Failure is rewarded. How many other coaches have been given an extension the day after getting their **** filled in at the home opener? The Maciocia years set the precedent for this sort of bizarre behavior from the organization.

They also are fully onboard with the Oilers buddy system/old boys club. Reed let his buddy Crandell screw us over, Hervey is going to let his buddy Reed screw us over. And Hervey will probably be rewarded for it with a big extension. Kavis MacTavish and Ed Lowe. At least Marcus Buchberger is out of the picture this year.
We had Maciocia and Tillman, not exactly old boys.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
We had Maciocia and Tillman, not exactly old boys.
Didn't say they were, but things are clearly trending in the old boy direction. How many other teams in the league would have hired Hervey as GM? I wasn't strongly against the hire, but he wasn't exactly a highly qualified candidate. The Reed extension has flabbergasted just about everyone, and it's obvious that it only came about due to his buddy buddy relationships with Hervey, and as speculated, Rhodes.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:42 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Thats true but the fact that Millhouse works for the station that has broadcasting rights usually means he tows the company line.

This is a big step for Millhouse.
Not really, the Eskimo's board of directors doesn't wield the same power as Daryl Katz does.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Tyrolean

These are truly dark times for the Eskimos. Unless they get rid of LR and the top tier they will always wallow in mediocrity.

Oilers OHTO have at least a glimmer of hope though they are in a real tough division now.

TBH, I don't see anything great for both teams for a long time.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Whatever happened to all that offseason hope people had for the Esks under Hervey?

Mine vanished when he first walked to the microphone and announced that Kavis Reed was a good coach.

I remember all the "wow, how negative, at least wait till a game has been played before jumping off the titanic" type comments..

jk aside Hervey was not established at a GM, Reed was poorly established as a coach. It seemed the number 1 thing that people had to substantiate great feelings about Hervey was his apparent involvement in selection of some players which may or may not have been him or some other scout.

I don't get the optimism then or leading into the season. This is a very poorly run football club and I don't know that any personnel on the field save it from that.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Gord
Tesla

In context, Macbeth was referring to life itself, but I think maybe shakespeare could also be talking about Kavis Reed in regards to his temper tantrums and skills as a coach.
to paraphrase.

Kavis is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. He is a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:35 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
In context, Macbeth was referring to life itself, but I think maybe shakespeare could also be talking about Kavis Reed in regards to his temper tantrums and skills as a coach.
to paraphrase.

Kavis is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. He is a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
That pretty much sums up Kavis Reed.....

There has to be consequences now.

Deep breath...wipes his mouth...deep breath...shakes his head....

Deep breath....deep breath...head shake....

At some point the players and assistant coaches will just start to tune out this walking shadow of empty fury.

Last edited by guymez: 07-17-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old
07-17-2013, 02:37 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Not really, the Eskimo's board of directors doesn't wield the same power as Daryl Katz does.
Valid point.

I summarily withdraw any complementary comments I recently posted about Millhouse.

Old
07-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
That pretty much sums up Kavis Reed.....

At some point the players and assistant coaches will just start to tune out this walking shadow of empty fury.
I think they were tuning him out already last year. especially when he was yelling at the players for his own failures in his coaching decisions.

Old
07-17-2013, 10:32 PM
chrisj

Can we stop considering Kavis' one year extension a vote of confidence? You don't give a one year extension to a coach because you're pleased with their work, you give it as a warning that he's on a short leash.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:03 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Can we stop considering Kavis' one year extension a vote of confidence? You don't give a one year extension to a coach because you're pleased with their work, you give it as a warning that he's on a short leash.
Let's not forget the timing of it. With a lot of fans grumbling about the team's embarrassing home opening loss to an opponent that traditionally struggles in Edmonton. I took it as more of a message to the fans to shut the hell up cause the Eskies knew what they were doing. Hervey spent the week following the Saskatchewan game talking about a rebuild, like there is such a thing in the 8 team CFL. And then capped the week off by extending the coach he had been vocally supporting all off-season. That doesn't scream warning to me. It seems more like doubling down after a loss.

Old
07-17-2013, 11:55 PM
chrisj

^ maybe, and true the timing sucked, but I really do believe a 1 year extension for a coach means nothing.

If it had been 3 years... I would have canceled my season tickets already.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:13 AM
joestevens29

Not Eskimo related, but Commonwealth related. Is the score board at Commonwealth really outdated?

Old
07-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
Not Eskimo related, but Commonwealth related. Is the score board at Commonwealth really outdated?
they don't need one anyway. they rarely show replays. I think the have it to show stupid eskimo skits and ads.
I get so ticked off when we can't see what the flag was for because they refuse to show the replays.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Gord
Tesla

Quote:
how does extending a contract count as a warning? that makes no sense at all.
you're concerned the coach doesn't have what it takes and you guarantee him another year of income?

it is a vote of confidence.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:47 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
How does extending a coach days after one of the most embarrassing season-opening losses in team history let him know he's on a short leash? It's the exact opposite. There was talk among the fanbase that Reed would be, or at least definitely should be, fired if the team started poorly. Hervey put those thoughts to bed right away. Virtually no chance Reed is fired this season no matter how bad the team performs. A get out of jail free card.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:12 AM
MoneyGuy

Kavis on Team 1260 now.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
ca phe sua da
Craig's on it

vCash: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Kavis on Team 1260 now.
what's he saying?

Old
07-18-2013, 10:23 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
It's outdated like Northlands is for hockey.

Old
07-18-2013, 10:31 AM
chrisj

Because it's 1 year. It's not much of a financial commitment. Paul LaPolice can remind Kavis that the extension means nothing. He got a contract extension early last year - gone in March.

Kavis wasn't going to get fired early in the season no matter what. A 1 year extension shows the team was willing to back him for the time being. But if the team is 2-8 in September (or 3-7, or something similar) and continues to be embarrassed on the field, I'd bet that Kavis won't be around.

Closed Thread