HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Playing against a prevent defence is pretty meaningless in evaluating a QB.

Reilly is bad but the only thing that gives him a chance at improving is playing time.
You can stop there. The garbage time excuse is just that, an excuse. Reilly does nothing all game and then Crompton comes in and looks great, just like every other time he has come in. He takes 2 steps back and fires the ball to the guys and lets them make plays. This is what we need, not a guy who can't make a decision.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:03 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Crompton needs to start next week. If he doesn't then I'm not giving this team a dime for the rest of the year.
If there is any QB change, we all know it'll be Kerry Joseph getting the call.

We look terribad.

07-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
You can stop there. The garbage time excuse is just that, an excuse. Reilly does nothing all game and then Crompton comes in and looks great, just like every other time he has come in. He takes 2 steps back and fires the ball to the guys and lets them make plays. This is what we need, not a guy who can't make a decision.
Do you truly believe the Lions D was playing the same towards the end of the game like they were in the start?

Old
07-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

We look terribad.
Well, that was my thought earlier in the game but tonight was the second time that Reed went to Crompton over the first four games. I think he's the guy if Reilly gets injured or falters (and he has).

Old
07-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I've said it since I saw him play in the preseason. Crompton is the best QB on this team. Reilly hasn't done anything other than show up and be annointed the starter. He has been given 4 games now and has done next to nothing. Time to give Crompton some time. He will make some mistakes but he is big, has a cannon of an arm and gets the ball out quickly.

I've seen enough of Mr Happy Feet and his 2 yard runs up the middle.
Yeah, Reilly hasn't impressed. How can you not even Find Fred Stamps in a football game?

But Reilly with happy feet, really terrible delivery every game and misthrowing every second pass.

Reilly also gets fixated on receivers and not looking off. Tonight it was Coohoern. Wasn't even using Koch or Stamps tonight.

Hard to judge but I like Cromptons authority, arm, and intensity more.

That said you have to give a QB 10 games to find his range but trouble is this is the WC and Western teams don't have the liberties of easy opponents every second week. Its a hard game most every night and learning coming tough.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Six in O6

No run game early, no Stamps early. Embarassing. Defense doesn't know how to adjust at half time? Gave up Tds on consecutive drives. Crompton looks good though, might not be ready for prime time yet but at least the future looks promising at quarterback. Now for the rest of our skill positions.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:07 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
The garbage time statement is far from an excuse....its a simple reality.
I am not saying Crompton is good or bad but I am saying that evaluating a QB based on his success in garbage time is foolish to say the least.

I am also not defending Reilly...his game needs work but he is a rookie QB. The Esks would be wise to put the time in and work with him if in fact they believe that Reilly has the potential to be a legit CFL QB. They have to give him more than 4 games.

I am not convinced that the team has put together a recipe for success regardless of which rookie QB they play.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Do you truly believe the Lions D was playing the same towards the end of the game like they were in the start?
If Reilly was in there, he would have done what Crompton did? Not a chance. Reilly has had 4 games and has still done **** all. He goes into Happy Feet mode and can't release the ball. Crompton threw as many good passes in 1 min than Reilly did all game.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:

We look terribad.
In truth Reilly was awful in this game. Had nothing going, arm was probably bothering him all game and when he wasn't firing off he was running into tackles. This guy will find one guy in the backfield and run right into him. Sure the Lions had pressure but Reilly didn't pressure, didn't buy time, and didn't anticipate anything very well.

Take the Lions TD away that we handed them on the 20, and factor in the lame ass call where we lose yds on second and 1 on Leos 5 , and the missed FG, and this game was a lot closer then it looked against clearly the best team in the CFL.

Its bad, but it looks worse than it. Without Reilly having a bad game and Sams being a complete idiot we're in this game against the best.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:11 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
In truth Reilly was awful in this game. Had nothing going, arm was probably bothering him all game and when he wasn't firing off he was running into tackles. This guy will find one guy in the backfield and run right into him. Sure the Lions had pressure but Reilly didn't pressure, didn't buy time, and didn't anticipate anything very well.

Take the Lions TD away that we handed them on the 20, and factor in the lame ass call where we lose yds on second and 1 on Leos 5 , and the missed FG, and this game was a lot closer then it looked against clearly the best team in the CFL.

Its bad, but it looks worse than it. Without Reilly having a bad game and Sams being a complete idiot we're in this game against the best.
So you're basically saying that if the Esks had better coaching and a better QB they would be a competitive team.
Thats essentially 80% of the offence that needs improvement.
No small feat....the Esks are a long way from being competitive.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
The garbage time statement is far from an excuse....its a simple reality.
I am not saying Crompton is good or bad but I am saying that evaluating a QB based on his success in garbage time is foolish to say the least.

I am also not defending Reilly...his game needs work but he is a rookie QB. The Esks would be wise to put the time in and work with him if in fact they believe that Reilly has the potential to be a legit CFL QB. They have to give him more than 4 games.

I am not convinced that the team has put together a recipe for success regardless of which rookie QB they play.
Of course Reilly needs more time and reps but proper QB management is letting a developing QB get a lot of looks from the sidelines. Not throwing him in the fire and saying heres your 60mins. You often learn more on the few drives that you're watching from the sidelines then whats happening on the field. Reilly has looked confused in 3 of the outings. You give hims some rest, some time to calm down, and get settled. Trouble is Reilly is really rattled and its showing.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:14 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

This Team is going 6-12 this season, worst team in a long time dawning green n gold

Old
07-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
cfl news ‏@cfl_news 3m
kavis reed says he was very pleased with his offence tonite. Via @630ched #cfl #esks #bclions
lmao!!!!!

Old
07-21-2013, 12:15 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Of course Reilly needs more time and reps but proper QB management is letting a developing QB get a lot of looks from the sidelines. Not throwing him in the fire and saying heres your 60mins. You often learn more on the few drives that you're watching from the sidelines then whats happening on the field. Reilly has looked confused in 3 of the outings. You give hims some rest, some time to calm down, and get settled. Trouble is Reilly is really rattled and its showing.
They can help Reilly immensely by running the damn ball.

Its absolutely mind boggling why they refuse to establish a run game especially with a rookie QB.

I don't think there is much for Reilly to learn by watching if the offensive game plan continues as is.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
lmao!!!!!
LOL Did he seriously say that??

Old
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
So you're basically saying that if the Esks had better coaching and a better QB they would be a competitive team.
Thats essentially 80% of the offence that needs improvement.
No small feat....the Esks are a long way from being competitive.
Sure, but handed the Leos an interception TD. We failed on a brutal slow developing play on BC five, and we missed a FG.

Otherwise we were in this game.

Really not happy with Sams though. Same as last week. Start second half with idiot conservative calls, Esks D on the field for continuous stint, and give up two TD's early in second half.
Any understanding of CFL football and momentum is the offense HAS to do something after the leos scored the go ahead TD. That was the lamest series. Of course by then completely deflated and demoralized the Leos punch it in a second time.

When confidence is ebbing on a team playing a club as good as the Leos the coaching staff have to scheme better in critical moments and in the second half where clearly they are losing the adjustments battle.

Anyway that post was way too much effort for this football club. I think I'll just start drinking

Old
07-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
They can help Reilly immensely by running the damn ball.

Its absolutely mind boggling why they refuse to establish a run game especially with a rookie QB.

I don't think there is much for Reilly to learn by watching if the offensive game plan continues as is.
They did run the ball quite a bit tonight. Don't confuse a garbage offense with not running. BC only had a handful more runs than the Esks did and they led most of the game. When you don't sustain drives, you aren't going to get that many runs.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
lmao!!!!!
Thats it, doubles for me the rest of the night..have to make up for wasted time.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:19 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
LOL Did he seriously say that??
Well, I didn't hear but they're citing 630 CHED so I assume it's true.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
They did run the ball quite a bit tonight. Don't confuse a garbage offense with not running. BC only had a handful more runs than the Esks did and they led most of the game. When you don't sustain drives, you aren't going to get that many runs.
Yeah, there was plenty of runs. Its going to be pretty hard to earn a living rushing the ball against the Leos. Charles is good but man they weren't giving much. Even the rollouts that we executed fairly well with some speed Charles was having trouble getting much. You just don't catch the Lions D many times. They don't give up much of anything.

Completely dominating squad.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:23 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Their premier RB Hugh Charles ran the ball 11 times. That does not qualify as 'running the ball quite a bit'. McCarty had 2 carries.

Play action is absolutely invaluable for a rookie QB and if you don't run the ball play action is a non factor.

Tonight was a garbage offensive game plan to be sure.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:24 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
lmao!!!!!
No way. Misinterpretation right? Has to be?

Old
07-21-2013, 12:26 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
cfl news ‏@cfl_news 3m
kavis reed says he was very pleased with his offence tonite. Via @630ched #cfl #esks #bclions
Quote:
lmao!!!!!
I think Replacement has the right idea.

Drinking is the only solution here.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
No way. Misinterpretation right? Has to be?
Sadly, no. Coach Reed, this year, and last, is under the impression that 20pt outings are great and get it done in the CFL.

I think we're really dependent on our D pitching shutouts.

jebus, Stamps was getting annihilated out there tonight. Trouble that happens when theres limited targets.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:32 AM
aleshemsky83

Jc sheritt can't cover, he's getting exposed against runningbacks that can catch the ball way too often

Closed Thread