HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sadly, no. Coach Reed, this year, and last, is under the impression that 20pt outings are great and get it done in the CFL.

I think we're really dependent on our D pitching shutouts.

jebus, Stamps was getting annihilated out there tonight. Trouble that happens when theres limited targets.
Your absolutely right. Coach Reed has shown his understanding of this team is lacking.......at best.

The lack of half time adjustments on this team is frustrating. Every week, every god damn week, we come out in the 2nd half ill prepared and the usual things occur. We get beat down.

Also, this soft zone D is not working for us so far. I'm not sure it ever will this season.

07-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
I'm getting so bloody tired of this "re-build" nonsense being peddled by Hervey. It feels like a ploy designed to buy the coaching staff and management team time and excuses. They probably feel like the masses will buy into the idea because of what the Oilers have gone through. Memo to Ed: There are no "re-builds" in the Canadian Football League. They don't exist.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I'm getting so bloody tired of this "re-build" nonsense being peddled by Hervey. It feels like a ploy designed to buy the coaching staff and management team time and excuses. They probably feel like the masses will buy into the idea because of what the Oilers have gone through. Memo to Ed: There are no "re-builds" in the Canadian Football League. They don't exist.
Well they do when your GM trades the franchise QB and has nothing to replace him.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Well they do when your GM trades the franchise QB and has nothing to replace him.
QB's like Ray and Lulay are hard to come by (I suppose that Burris counts as well despite his team's struggles). Durant is bi-polar and seems to perform differently season to season, Calvillo's time seems to be winding down, Drew Tate gets injured all the time... ditto for Buck Pierce. The fact that we traded Ray has hurt us, but in an eight team league that isn't something that should linger for two, three, four years. The idea is ludicrous in a league as small as the Canadian Football League.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Cerebral

I like Reilly but I would honestly consider giving Crompton a shot. He really impressed me in training camp and I like the way he bullets the ball in there. He's also already 26 years old (in a week at least) so he's not exactly young for a rookie. Given that, toss him in there - we can't do much worse than we have so far.

Reilly is definitely shell-shocked and he's looking to run with the ball too often. The same will likely happen to Crompton but I think it's time to give him a shot - Reilly is averaging about 150 passing yards a game. We flat out need more out of our quarterback.

07-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

This was STILL Ricky Ray's fault.

Old
07-21-2013, 12:56 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
QB's like Ray and Lulay are hard to come by (I suppose that Burris counts as well despite his team's struggles). Durant is bi-polar and seems to perform differently season to season, Calvillo's time seems to be winding down, Drew Tate gets injured all the time... ditto for Buck Pierce. The fact that we traded Ray has hurt us, but in an eight team league that isn't something that should linger for two, three, four years. The idea is ludicrous in a league as small as the Canadian Football League.
Well it lasts until you can find a good replacement. How long have the Bombers been looking? It's still early but Reilly doesn't look like a franchise QB but who knows, maybe it will click for him yet. Crompton looks like he has the most promise imo but who knows if he even really plays this season.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:10 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's funny that the Stamps keep winning despite Tate's injury.

Kevin Glenn is better than anything we have.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:22 AM
HotToddy

Just watched the game

Worst five Eskimos

JC Sheritt - just an exercise in not being able to cover, couldn't shed blocks, took a bad angle the one time he got to the QB, terrible all around play

Burrnett - can't cover anybody

The Center - Can't remember his name and that's the point, should never have to notice a center this much in a game that I have to remember his name..just got steam rolled way too much

Louis - lazy uninspired play from the RT spot

Reilly - not terrible but to many inconsistent passes and some poor running decisions

Best Eskies

Howard - is the best Esk player hands down, only Hugh Charles matches him in athletic talent and play making ability

Hugh Charles - So many missed blocking assignments made his day tougher than it should have been

Chris Thompson - made a great play on the Int

Coehoon - had a terrible missed blocking assingment on a Charles run but other than that caught everything thrown at him

Shaw - I know he missed a FG but his punting was superb and a great job on the roughing the kicker play

No issue with the coaching or play calling today, just not enough horses on this team

Old
07-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Six in O6

I didn't not like the QB draw play that was called by the offense on second down. I think it was still in the first half, terrible play call. Other than that Reilly got it done when he needed to with his feet.

Old
07-21-2013, 02:04 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345

Old
07-21-2013, 03:09 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

I would give Crompton a shot.

Guy can throw it on a line with decent accuracy.

Part of the potential we had with Nichols and Reilly is that if one struggled, the other one could push them and give them some time to see the game from a different perspective.

I think we have to do that now with Crompton.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-21-2013, 03:32 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I would give Crompton a shot.

Guy can throw it on a line with decent accuracy.

Part of the potential we had with Nichols and Reilly is that if one struggled, the other one could push them and give them some time to see the game from a different perspective.

I think we have to do that now with Crompton.
Crompton can actually throw a pass within 2 seconds. Reilly could not do that for the life of him.

Our offensive line cannot keep guys away longer than that. I think Crompton is the better option. We're 1-3 at this point so he should at least get 2 quarters next game.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:48 AM
aleshemsky83

I mentioned Crompton last week, but somebody said that management is absolutely deadset on giving Reilly the whole year, not sure if that was inside info or not.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:14 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Crompton can actually throw a pass within 2 seconds. Reilly could not do that for the life of him.

Our offensive line cannot keep guys away longer than that. I think Crompton is the better option. We're 1-3 at this point so he should at least get 2 quarters next game.
I really don't get why they haven't run any quick slants for Reilly this year. Every play seems to take a while to develop and you can tell he is instantly searching for where the hit is going to come from and thus not making the reads he needs to.

With the speed we have available at receiver, Reilly should be doing a quick three step drop and then rifling the ball. Part of the problem right now is certainly the O-line but another big part of it is Reilly.

I want Reilly to succeed but I'd love to see Crompton get a shot. He has just as good pedigree and there's no reason why he couldn't end up being better in the long-run.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I really don't get why they haven't run any quick slants for Reilly this year. Every play seems to take a while to develop and you can tell he is instantly searching for where the hit is going to come from and thus not making the reads he needs to.

With the speed we have available at receiver, Reilly should be doing a quick three step drop and then rifling the ball. Part of the problem right now is certainly the O-line but another big part of it is Reilly.

I want Reilly to succeed but I'd love to see Crompton get a shot. He has just as good pedigree and there's no reason why he couldn't end up being better in the long-run.
You'd think Hervey being there when Ray came from nowhere to beat the incumbent Maas that he'd be aware that it's possible that Crompton might be better than Reilly.

Old
07-21-2013, 05:50 AM
AJGass4

We are really a bad football team.

What was up with Stamps last night? Covered all night long? Why does every play we run take forever to get off? 2nd and inches and we lose ground?

Terrible decisions on the field by either Reilly or the OC.

Oh well, chalk this season up as a rerun from last year and enjoy the summer. We need help in every area of the game.

Why, oh why do we not have a punt/kick returner?

Old
07-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post

No issue with the coaching or play calling today, just not enough horses on this team
really?
you're happy with the coaching and the play calling, especially in the 3rd quarter and second half?
you have got to be the only person who is.

there are some not very good players on the team, but the coaches don't put them in position to succeed in any way.

if there was better plays designed and better play calling, you wouldn't have to say much about the "horses"

Old
07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Why not give Hugh Charles the ball more and then do some play action where Reilly has the option of checking off to Charles if his receivers are covered. Also gives a little bit more time for Reilly behind the O Line

Old
07-21-2013, 10:35 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
really?
you're happy with the coaching and the play calling, especially in the 3rd quarter and second half?
you have got to be the only person who is.

there are some not very good players on the team, but the coaches don't put them in position to succeed in any way.

if there was better plays designed and better play calling, you wouldn't have to say much about the "horses"
Their secondary and linebackers can't cover and their O-Line can't protect. Added on to that they have average QB play.

Not sure what a coaching staff is supposed to do with that

There was very little wrong with the play calling today, not sure what people expect a coaching staff to be able to do with mediocre talent

Old
07-21-2013, 11:03 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Just watched the game

Worst five Eskimos

JC Sheritt - just an exercise in not being able to cover, couldn't shed blocks, took a bad angle the one time he got to the QB, terrible all around play

The Center - Can't remember his name and that's the point, should never have to notice a center this much in a game that I have to remember his name..just got steam rolled way too much

Reilly - not terrible but to many inconsistent passes and some poor running decisions

Best Eskies

Howard - is the best Esk player hands down, only Hugh Charles matches him in athletic talent and play making ability

Hugh Charles - So many missed blocking assignments made his day tougher than it should have been

Coehoon - had a terrible missed blocking assingment on a Charles run but other than that caught everything thrown at him

Shaw - I know he missed a FG but his punting was superb and a great job on the roughing the kicker play

Did Marcus Howard even play last night? Don't think I heard he name called once.

Bust.

As for the coaching and play calling, I'm not sure what game you were watching last night. 2nd and 1 at the Lions 5 yard line and they line up in freaking shotgun? Are you kidding me? The predictable loss.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:07 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
We are really a bad football team.

What was up with Stamps last night? Covered all night long? Why does every play we run take forever to get off? 2nd and inches and we lose ground?

Terrible decisions on the field by either Reilly or the OC.

Oh well, chalk this season up as a rerun from last year and enjoy the summer. We need help in every area of the game.

Why, oh why do we not have a punt/kick returner?
They grow on trees, as apparently every other team always seems to have one. That is on Hervey and all other prior GM's and is inexcuseable and deplorable. That is the one position in the CFL that there should be some degree of competence in, and they can't seem to do it, for whatever reason.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:08 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Just watched the game

Worst five Eskimos

Best Eskies

Good rundown, most of it anyway. Don't give up on Burnett.

It's easy to say play Crompton, but he looked good against a Leos' D that was backing off and playing soft. Reilly wasn't very good but neither was the team. There is more wrong with this team than a QB who couldn't get it done.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:12 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
You can stop there. The garbage time excuse is just that, an excuse. Reilly does nothing all game and then Crompton comes in and looks great, just like every other time he has come in. He takes 2 steps back and fires the ball to the guys and lets them make plays. This is what we need, not a guy who can't make a decision.

No offence to Crompton and I get what you're saying, but there is a world of difference to a guy coming in to mop up in the last 2 minutes of a game when the defence is in total prevent, as opposed to starting or being in with the game still in question and the mentality that goes with that. There have been lots of guys that looked great in the last minutes of a blowout that could never handle the starters role. Saying that, we're 1-3 and are not producing, so what the hell, keep Reilly on a short leash and see what happens. Maybe some time watching the shyteshow out there will freshen him up a bit and give him some new perspective.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Good rundown, most of it anyway. Don't give up on Burnett.

It's easy to say play Crompton, but he looked good against a Leos' D that was backing off and playing soft. Reilly wasn't very good but neither was the team. There is more wrong with this team than a QB who couldn't get it done.
Actually, Burnett is one I am concerned about. He is on the small side, but I thought he at least had some speed, but he's getting beat consistently, and continues to have tackling issues. I thought Hervey said he wanted the team to get bigger and more aggressive, but here we have 2 small corners that are neither or those things.

Closed Thread