HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sure, but handed the Leos an interception TD. We failed on a brutal slow developing play on BC five, and we missed a FG.

Otherwise we were in this game.

Really not happy with Sams though. Same as last week. Start second half with idiot conservative calls, Esks D on the field for continuous stint, and give up two TD's early in second half.
Any understanding of CFL football and momentum is the offense HAS to do something after the leos scored the go ahead TD. That was the lamest series. Of course by then completely deflated and demoralized the Leos punch it in a second time.

When confidence is ebbing on a team playing a club as good as the Leos the coaching staff have to scheme better in critical moments and in the second half where clearly they are losing the adjustments battle.

Anyway that post was way too much effort for this football club. I think I'll just start drinking

Why can't this team seem to find a competent offensive coordinator? Or kick returner for that matter? 10 years is a long time.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:26 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
You'd think Hervey being there when Ray came from nowhere to beat the incumbent Maas that he'd be aware that it's possible that Crompton might be better than Reilly.
You'd think Hervey, who played a dozen years with the legendary Gizmo Williams would realize the importance of recruiting a dedicated kick returner for that position instead of continuing to field that by committee. We've been repeating that mistake now for years.

Also, its been years since we had ANY kick return TD. Can't put my finger on the last time it happened.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Why can't this team seem to find a competent offensive coordinator? Or kick returner for that matter? 10 years is a long time.
Guess where BC's OC used to coach but for some reason didnt work out. Deep organziation problems

Old
07-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Actually, Burnett is one I am concerned about. He is on the small side, but I thought he at least had some speed, but he's getting beat consistently, and continues to have tackling issues. I thought Hervey said he wanted the team to get bigger and more aggressive, but here we have 2 small corners that are neither or those things.
Yeah, Arseneaux going to Burnett has been a complete mismatch any time its happened. On the TD he blew past Burnett with the greatest of ease. I thought maybe Thompson saved the day on the play and would have liked a better replay to see if Arseneaux touched the out of bounds line.

In the secondary I've liked the play of Aaron Grymes. Not big at all but plays way beyond his size and pretty aggressive. He's a walking ball of intensity. Fleeting reminders of Larry Highbaugh or at least I can hope...

Old
07-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Guess where BC's OC used to coach but for some reason didnt work out. Deep organziation problems
Yep. Even when we get good OC's they don't work out here.

Old
07-21-2013, 11:49 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Did Marcus Howard even play last night? Don't think I heard he name called once.

Bust.

As for the coaching and play calling, I'm not sure what game you were watching last night. 2nd and 1 at the Lions 5 yard line and they line up in freaking shotgun? Are you kidding me? The predictable loss.
I guess I don't need to hear a players name to notice him when he is abusing an Oline all game.

On the Odell Willis penalty, Howard pushed his lineman back 12 yards into Lulay and then pancaked him.

BC tried a trick running play to Arseneaux in the 2nd half but Howard came through the line so fast he blew the hinges off the play and forced the WR oustide where he barely made it back to the line of scrimmage

He's the best player on the team, and its not close

..and on the 2nd and 1 last night there's nothing wrong with that play if McCarty understands who his blocking assignment is, terrible play by him.

If you want to blame the coaching blame them for having a veteran RB on the field who doesn't understand how to block. Play calling had very little impact on the negative outcome yesterday

Old
07-21-2013, 12:08 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
I guess I don't need to hear a players name to notice him when he is abusing an Oline all game.

On the Odell Willis penalty, Howard pushed his lineman back 12 yards into Lulay and then pancaked him.

BC tried a trick running play to Arseneaux in the 2nd half but Howard came through the line so fast he blew the hinges off the play and forced the WR oustide where he barely made it back to the line of scrimmage

He's the best player on the team, and its not close

..and on the 2nd and 1 last night there's nothing wrong with that play if McCarty understands who his blocking assignment is, terrible play by him.

If you want to blame the coaching blame them for having a veteran RB on the field who doesn't understand how to block. Play calling had very little impact on the negative outcome yesterday
Well, I do need to hear certain players name's called out, dependent on position, and defensive end is certainly one of those. And the score and the yards the Lions piled up certainly back up that statement. Howard's job is to rush the quarterback, stop the run and cause chaos. How many sacks did he get last night? How many does he have this season? How many times did he knock Lulay on his arse? How did Andrew Harris do last night? He's been non-descript this year, and I'm being kind. Enough said.

As for the play in question, you put players in a position to succeed, not to increase the chances of failure. The correct play is to get the first down on a safe football play and give yourself 3 chances to punch it in. Just like the correct play in an earlier game against the Riders with 10 seconds left in the half and on your 10 yard line, is to eat the ball and head to the dressing room, not call a passing play with the potential to backfire. Baffling.

Not only that, but I saw Munoz let up on a clear hit on Lulay which would have ended the play. Instead he backed off and shoved him lightly, allowing Lulay to carry on, complete the play and ultimately resulted in a touchdown. Something about a HC threatening players aimlessly and desperately after the prior game. There are many reasons why our offence is misfiring, and coaching is at a huge part of that, no question.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 07-21-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
It's one part Reilly and one part the offensive play-calling and playbook... but it's mostly Reilly.

The yardage is something like 150 yards to 0 yards for the Lions in the 3rd quarter. It's official: The Oilers are no longer the worst professional franchise in Edmonton.
That's still to be determined.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
There is more wrong with this team than a QB who couldn't get it done.
so how did you figure they were going to win 10-12 games this year?

Old
07-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
so how did you figure they were going to win 10-12 games this year?
I'm wondering about that too. I didn't like the chances of that happening and even moreso because the West is strong and we play those clubs more.

Really the best teams in the league this year are BC, Calgary, Sask, and in that order. Thats a lionshare(excuse the pun) of our games.

Must be nice to be in the East and if you are Montreal or Toronto have your division matchups against the lowly Bombers and Ticats.

WE don't stand up well at all in the west, and I think the disparity has grown since last year. We're 0-3 in WC games and I don't see that pattern changing much. I think 8-10 could be optimistic.

Old
07-21-2013, 01:42 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
You'd think Hervey, who played a dozen years with the legendary Gizmo Williams would realize the importance of recruiting a dedicated kick returner for that position instead of continuing to field that by committee. We've been repeating that mistake now for years.

Also, its been years since we had ANY kick return TD. Can't put my finger on the last time it happened.
How old do you think Hervey is?

They might have played one season together. But I agree.

Old
07-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
How old do you think Hervey is?

They might have played one season together. But I agree.
Damn, probably getting my years and timeframe mixed up again. Happens more and more as you get older..

Maybe its just because I want to think that it hasn't been as long since we've had a guy like Gizmo. Man its been ages...

Old
07-21-2013, 02:32 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Well, I do need to hear certain players name's called out, dependent on position, and defensive end is certainly one of those. And the score and the yards the Lions piled up certainly back up that statement. Howard's job is to rush the quarterback, stop the run and cause chaos. How many sacks did he get last night? How many does he have this season? How many times did he knock Lulay on his arse? How did Andrew Harris do last night? He's been non-descript this year, and I'm being kind. Enough said.

As for the play in question, you put players in a position to succeed, not to increase the chances of failure. The correct play is to get the first down on a safe football play and give yourself 3 chances to punch it in. Just like the correct play in an earlier game against the Riders with 10 seconds left in the half and on your 10 yard line, is to eat the ball and head to the dressing room, not call a passing play with the potential to backfire. Baffling.

Not only that, but I saw Munoz let up on a clear hit on Lulay which would have ended the play. Instead he backed off and shoved him lightly, allowing Lulay to carry on, complete the play and ultimately resulted in a touchdown. Something about a HC threatening players aimlessly and desperately after the prior game. There are many reasons why our offence is misfiring, and coaching is at a huge part of that, no question.
You have no clue what your are talking about in regards to Howard, go back and watch the tape (I just did).

He knocks down Lulay 3 times in the game, after the one time in the 2nd qrt the Lions immediately double team him the next play and the remaining Esk D-line (which are pretty good on to themself) fold the 3 remaining Oline and collapse the pocket onto Lulay.

The Lions twice tried to get Arseneaux the ball in backfield. I talked about what happened the 2nd time but on the first attempt Howard lining up from the strong side shed his blocker and forced the play out of bounds.

He made plays all over the field today and in all quarters

Watching the tape a couple of other things confirmed

Louis the RT is a complete @#@#$ mess. I just don't have a clue what he's doing from play to play. It's not just a couple of bad wiffs and lazy blocking. He takes on a DL that his Guard was engaged with and lets John Brown go one on one with a DE, to obvious results. He pulls to the weakside on a running play sweep that goes the opposite way.

I'm not sure if this coaching or just he doesn't have a clue what to do.

If I had to pin down the biggest issue for the Esks right now its blocking, they continually had horrible execution in the blocking game today and got burnt because of it.

Oh and Sheritt was worse than I thought...just took bad angles all game and was a step behind every time he was in coverage

Old
07-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1476
Quote:
whats worse is they even identified the need for a kick returner this off season. brought in guys, over hyped one of them, and then at the end of the preseason they still did nothing.

it's like they wanted to show change was here with the new GM, but not to the point of actually making changes.

meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Old
07-21-2013, 02:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Another precious coaching vignette that didn't get noticed for the annals.

Esks on lions 30, 4th quarter, down two scores at the time, drive gets stalled, Reilly wants to go for it sensing there won't be many more chances left against a stingy D. Reilly exhibits some frustration with FG team coming on. Kavis blasts Reilly on the sidelines apparently for having the audacity to question his decision making veracity. (Kavis apparently can't tell time or read score)

Happy Shaw dances onto the field like the scrub thats lucky to have a pro job anywhere that he is, and quickly shanks a FG way wide on a short try most kickers make in their sleep. Shaw trots off the field after missing the FG that wasn't going to help the score anyway and gets consoled for yet another fail.

With no "there will be consequences" ringing in his ears.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-21-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 03:20 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Another precious coaching vignette that didn't get noticed for the annals.

Esks on lions 30, 4th quarter, down two scores at the time, drive gets stalled, Reilly wants to go for it sensing there won't be many more chances left against a stingy D. Reilly exhibits some frustration with FG team coming on. Kavis blasts Reilly on the sidelines apparently for having the audacity to question his decision making veracity. (Kavis apparently can't tell time or read score)

Happy Shaw dances onto the field like the scrub thats lucky to have a pro job anywhere that he is, and quickly shanks a FG way wide on a short try most kickers make in their sleep. Shaw trots off the field after missing the FG that wasn't going to help the score anyway and gets consoled for yet another fail.

With no "there will be consequences" ringing in his ears.
Yeah, I remember the FG team coming on, wondering wtf was going on. Just go for it in that situation.

But I don't know if it's worth it to watch anymore games this year.

Old
07-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yeah, I remember the FG team coming on, wondering wtf was going on. Just go for it in that situation.

Yeah, I actually got a headache watching this game. I rarely get headaches. Sure could've spent my time better but its more trainwreck fascination and thoughts of what inane events I might miss if I turn it off.

I've gone from sports fan to soap opera watching with this. The latest sagas of the not so young and restless Eskimos.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:31 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
You have no clue what your are talking about in regards to Howard, go back and watch the tape (I just did).

He knocks down Lulay 3 times in the game, after the one time in the 2nd qrt the Lions immediately double team him the next play and the remaining Esk D-line (which are pretty good on to themself) fold the 3 remaining Oline and collapse the pocket onto Lulay.

The Lions twice tried to get Arseneaux the ball in backfield. I talked about what happened the 2nd time but on the first attempt Howard lining up from the strong side shed his blocker and forced the play out of bounds.

He made plays all over the field today and in all quarters

Watching the tape a couple of other things confirmed

Louis the RT is a complete @#@#$ mess. I just don't have a clue what he's doing from play to play. It's not just a couple of bad wiffs and lazy blocking. He takes on a DL that his Guard was engaged with and lets John Brown go one on one with a DE, to obvious results. He pulls to the weakside on a running play sweep that goes the opposite way.

I'm not sure if this coaching or just he doesn't have a clue what to do.

If I had to pin down the biggest issue for the Esks right now its blocking, they continually had horrible execution in the blocking game today and got burnt because of it.

Oh and Sheritt was worse than I thought...just took bad angles all game and was a step behind every time he was in coverage
I watched the game and I think I have considerably more of a clue than you do. Again, how many sacks did Howard have? How many tackles? How many yards did Harris pile up? Apparently you think it's a GOOD thing that his name was never mentioned. Unbelievable.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

I know, but apparently some people on here think the coaching is A-1 this year.

Old
07-21-2013, 04:53 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
I know, but apparently some people on here think the coaching is A-1 this year.
Well, the problem is that the entire team is ****ed right now.

With better personnel, even ****** coaching can look decent. Likewise, with better coaching, you can make ****** personnel look decent.

The Esks have ****** personnel AND ****** coaching.

So that basically amounts to a team that can't win games, and looks bad while losing.

Like I said, Hervey will get a lot of rope because he's not Tillman, and because he's "restored the Eskimo way." But he quite simply jumped the shark this offseason. Lost key players in Bowman, Brown, Rod Williams and replaced them with rookies. Replaced basically the entire offensive line with newcomers. Didn't feel the need to go after receivers in free agency. Just ugh all around. I hope all those people on esksfans that were hoping for the team's failure under Tillman are honest enough with themselves to snap to judgment in the same way with Hervey's performance so far.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series

Last edited by Cloned: 07-21-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old
07-21-2013, 04:58 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

I thought Hervey told us we were gonna have one of the best defenses ever this year?

gonna need it if we want a prayer

Old
07-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I thought Hervey told us we were gonna have one of the best defenses ever this year?

gonna need it if we want a prayer
Greg Marshall is competing with Sams to be the worst coordinator in the league right now. Just brutal play-calling on both sides of the ball so far this year. Sams has been worse though. Marshall just can't make adjustments.

Old
07-21-2013, 05:51 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
I watched the game and I think I have considerably more of a clue than you do. Again, how many sacks did Howard have? How many tackles? How many yards did Harris pile up? Apparently you think it's a GOOD thing that his name was never mentioned. Unbelievable.
So if the DE busts loose and forces the QB to chuck the ball away or he gets in the backfield and blows up a running play it doesn't count for you because its not tallied as a sack or tackle?

That makes zero sense

Old
07-21-2013, 05:56 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Greg Marshall is competing with Sams to be the worst coordinator in the league right now. Just brutal play-calling on both sides of the ball so far this year. Sams has been worse though. Marshall just can't make adjustments.
What do you want coordinators to do with secondary that can't cover, poor linebacker play and atrocious OLineman?

You could hire Dick Lebeau and Bill Belichek and it's not going to make one iota of difference when;

- your Center gets chucked 8 yards back into the QB
- your Middle LB can't fill a hole or he takes a terrible angle to the QB on a wide open attempt
- your entire team can't block

You certainly blame the coaches if you think the blocking and positional troubles of the team are coaching but on a lsit of problems this team has scheme and play calling is way, way down the list

Old
07-21-2013, 06:07 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
What do you want coordinators to do with secondary that can't cover, poor linebacker play and atrocious OLineman?

You could hire Dick Lebeau and Bill Belichek and it's not going to make one iota of difference when;

- your Center gets chucked 8 yards back into the QB
- your Middle LB can't fill a hole or he takes a terrible angle to the QB on a wide open attempt
- your entire team can't block

You certainly blame the coaches if you think the blocking and positional troubles of the team are coaching but on a lsit of problems this team has scheme and play calling is way, way down the list
Did you just ignore my previous post to that, where I acknowledged that the team is struggling because of poor coaching AND poor personnel?

Closed Thread