HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

1993 Playoffs against the Kings

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2005, 11:35 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
1993 Playoffs against the Kings

They just showed Gretzky beating the Leafs in Game 7 at MLG. They blamed Kerry Frasor for something though. What did Frasor do? I was like 8 at the time so what was the big deal.

Last edited by ATG: 05-30-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Old
05-29-2005, 11:41 PM
Raven25

A glaring omission of a high-sticking major when Gretzky blatantly high-sticked Gilmour and cut him - should have been a 5 min. major pp for the Leafs, I don't recall what the score was at the time. I remember my dad was freakin' out

Old
05-30-2005, 12:21 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25
A glaring omission of a high-sticking major when Gretzky blatantly high-sticked Gilmour and cut him - should have been a 5 min. major pp for the Leafs, I don't recall what the score was at the time. I remember my dad was freakin' out
As I recall, Gretzky would not have been on the ice to score his flukey (if any Gretzky goal can be said to be "flukey") behind-the-net goal had he been penalized as he should have been.

My memory is fuzzy. Was that the winning goal or the tying goal? Winning, I think . . .

Honest non-call by Fraser though. I don't believe he saw the high stick.

Old
05-30-2005, 12:45 AM
Rand

I spent years cursing Gretzky for that game.
Imagine... Leafs/Habs cup finals... now we'll never see it, as both are in the same conference

Old
05-30-2005, 01:18 AM
tml_4ever
It's Chaotic

i was 2 at the time....'nuff said

Old
05-30-2005, 08:20 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
As I recall, Gretzky would not have been on the ice to score his flukey (if any Gretzky goal can be said to be "flukey") behind-the-net goal had he been penalized as he should have been.

My memory is fuzzy. Was that the winning goal or the tying goal? Winning, I think . . .

Honest non-call by Fraser though. I don't believe he saw the high stick.
He scored in overtime. Back then a high stick that drew blood was an automatic 5 and a game. He should have been booted from the game. Not to mention Glenn Anderson got a 5 minute high sticking penalty in overtime later on, which resulted in the winning goal. It was a circus of mistakes

Old
05-30-2005, 08:26 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
He scored in overtime. Back then a high stick that drew blood was an automatic 5 and a game. He should have been booted from the game. Not to mention Glenn Anderson got a 5 minute high sticking penalty in overtime later on, which resulted in the winning goal. It was a circus of mistakes
It was like the call against Quinn in Boston, the ref made it for the crowd, in LA Fraser didn't make it because of the crowd.

Fraser has always had a thing when reffing the Leafs.

He hasn't changed.

Old
05-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I thought it was neither the winning or tying goal. I always thought that flukey behind the net goal put LA up by two goals. The Leafs were pushing to tie it up late in the game, but that goal put it out of reach.

Old
05-30-2005, 09:12 AM
mydnyte

I'm looking for the video clip of that high stick, does anyone have it??

Old
05-30-2005, 09:14 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
I could be wrong, but I thought it was neither the winning or tying goal. I always thought that flukey behind the net goal put LA up by two goals. The Leafs were pushing to tie it up late in the game, but that goal put it out of reach.

Game 7 did not go into overtime - although games five and six did. Gretzky's goal was the winner in a 5-4 game that absolutely broke my heart. It would have been a Leaf/Montreal final and that would have been special.

Old
05-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

That Gretzky goal off Ellett's skate from behind the net was brutal

Old
05-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Was that a high sticking call on Anderson? I thought it was boarding. Either way, Fraser in his 1500th reffed game finally came out of the woodwork and admitted his mistake calling it "unfortunate". I think what bugged me the most about the whole situation is that both linesmen went over to Fraser and explained what happened (telling by their high sticking motions) but Fraser just kept shaking his head and ignored them.

My favourite Fraser moment has to be claimed by Ron Wilson though:
1990 - Anaheim at Detroit - Playoff Game -
Ron Wilson was fed up with the abundance of calls going against his team and called Fraser over to the bench and simply asked him who wrote "The Odyssey and The Iliad". Fraser, confused (as usual) went to his linesman and asked what he meant, who in turn laughed and replied "Homer".

Old
05-30-2005, 10:30 AM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Was that a high sticking call on Anderson? I thought it was boarding. Either way, Fraser in his 1500th reffed game finally came out of the woodwork and admitted his mistake calling it "unfortunate". I think what bugged me the most about the whole situation is that both linesmen went over to Fraser and explained what happened (telling by their high sticking motions) but Fraser just kept shaking his head and ignored them.

Ron Wilson was fed up with the abundance of calls going against his team and called Fraser over to the bench and simply asked him who wrote "The Odyssey and The Iliad". Fraser, confused (as usual) went to his linesman and asked what he meant, who in turn laughed and replied "Homer".
hahahha hahahahaomg thats funny....

Old
05-30-2005, 10:44 AM
Raven25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
That Gretzky goal off Ellett's skate from behind the net was brutal
Indeed - at that time I was playing Junior B hockey and as a d-man our coach had taught us an invaluable lesson about wrap arounds; even if there is a a man in front, if the puck DOESN'T get there his presence is irrelevant - as soon as the wrap around is in progress, lay your stick down on the ice parallel to the post and sweep it behind the net, the puck carrier will have to go farther outside or put the puck in the air to get it where he wants it - either way it reduces the wrap-arounds effectiveness and likelihood of getting it to the net or the crease, which is what Gretzky did uncontestedly with Ellet completely absorbed with the player in front and not challenging the wrap. It's a trick I've shared with teammates many times AND IT WORKS. Why couldn't Dave Ellet have done that.. (I was a marginal Junior B player with a marginal Junior B coach, surely a pro would have the same saavy..aargh Leafs-Habs could've been!

And I'm remembering now, didn't Ellett score the goal late to pull within one at 5-4 and somewhat redeem himself. Spilt milk....

Old
05-30-2005, 10:59 AM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25
Indeed - at that time I was playing Junior B hockey and as a d-man our coach had taught us an invaluable lesson about wrap arounds; even if there is a a man in front, if the puck DOESN'T get there his presence is irrelevant - as soon as the wrap around is in progress, lay your stick down on the ice parallel to the post and sweep it behind the net, the puck carrier will have to go farther outside or put the puck in the air to get it where he wants it - either way it reduces the wrap-arounds effectiveness and likelihood of getting it to the net or the crease, which is what Gretzky did uncontestedly with Ellet completely absorbed with the player in front and not challenging the wrap. It's a trick I've shared with teammates many times AND IT WORKS. Why couldn't Dave Ellet have done that.. (I was a marginal Junior B player with a marginal Junior B coach, surely a pro would have the same saavy..aargh Leafs-Habs could've been!

And I'm remembering now, didn't Ellett score the goal late to pull within one at 5-4 and somewhat redeem himself. Spilt milk....
yeah he did score........ but it no way was it Elliots fault on the wrap around.. he had his man infront like he was supposed to.. that was more luck or Potvins fault by not getting his paddle to block the pass across...

Old
05-30-2005, 11:06 AM
Westlander
the joke is on us

The Gretzky high stick was in game 6, in overtime. Having drawn blood, he should have been kicked out of the game but no call was made. Glenn Anderson was then penalized and Gretzky himself scored on the powerplay. The Leafs of course then went on to lose game 7 at home. I'm almost positive that's how it happened.

Old
05-30-2005, 11:16 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
. . .
. . .
Not how I remember it. According to what the play-by-play and colour guy said, one linesman thought it was a penalty and one thought it wasn't and Fraser just didn't see it at all. Fraser did not ignore his linesman, and I seriously doubt that any NHL referee would ever do such a thing, especially in a playoff game where he is anxious to get it right.

There is a tendency to think we know better than refs because we have the benefit of constant replays and just because there is a human tendency to think we know better. But we should get past that, and past our Leafs homerism, and realise that (A) Kerry Fraser was a very good referee, and (B) Although the Gretzky non-call was a mistake, it was an honest mistake of the sort that happens regularly.

Old
05-30-2005, 11:24 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlander
The Gretzky high stick was in game 6, in overtime. Having drawn blood, he should have been kicked out of the game but no call was made. Glenn Anderson was then penalized and Gretzky himself scored on the powerplay. The Leafs of course then went on to lose game 7 at home. I'm almost positive that's how it happened.
From this source:
http://www.answers.com/topic/1992-93-nhl-season

"After a number of close games, including two that went to overtime, game seven was won by a goal from Gretzky. This victory created a lasting controversy in Toronto where fans thought referee Kerry Fraser should have given Gretzky a penalty just before his goal." (Bold is mine)

Putting together information from a few previous posts, here is what I recall of the sequence of events.

1. Gretzky non-call.

2. Leafs get a penalty (Not sure if this was the Anderson penalty or if that had in fact happened earlier in the game).

3. Gretzky scores from behind the net on the power play to make it 5-3 Kings.

4. Wendel Clark scores a classic Wendel goal, rushing in off the wing, to make it 5-4.

5. Game ends.

6. timlap cries.

Old
05-30-2005, 12:08 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar

Was Anaheim even in the league in 1990?

Old
05-30-2005, 12:27 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Gretz non-call was in LA, game went back to Toronto where they lost the series.

Old
05-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Was Anaheim even in the league in 1990?
My bad, it was meant to be '97 vs. The Redwings.
Leaf Lander moment, we all have them.

Old
05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Gretz non-call was in LA, game went back to Toronto where they lost the series.
Maybe you're right, despite my source. The issue is complicated by the fact that both games 6 and 7 ended 5-4 in LA's favour. I have searched for another source, but haven't found one yet.

Old
05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Westlander
the joke is on us

Quote:
Maybe you're right, despite my source. The issue is complicated by the fact that both games 6 and 7 ended 5-4 in LA's favour. I have searched for another source, but haven't found one yet.
It was game 6 for sure. Does anyone remember the video that the Leafs put out about the 92-93 season called 'The Passion Returns'? It's all on there. I haven't watched it in years, but it's still lying around in my parents house someplace. And in game 7, it was actually Dave Ellett of all people who scored to pull the Leafs to 5-4.

Old
05-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlander
It was game 6 for sure. Does anyone remember the video that the Leafs put out about the 92-93 season called 'The Passion Returns'? It's all on there. I haven't watched it in years, but it's still lying around in my parents house someplace. And in game 7, it was actually Dave Ellett of all people who scored to pull the Leafs to 5-4.
Yup it was game 6 and it might have been a boarding call on Anderson actually. As I recall Anderson tied that game up with very little time left too. Game 7 was not really close aside from the score. The great one would not be denied. It was still maybe Wendel's very best game as a Leaf though

Old
05-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Watching "The Passion Returns" I can say without a doubt that the Gretzky incident happened in Game 6 in LA.

Closed Thread