06-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Fowler is like Letang in his dreams....

Letang is a legit 65 point defenseman. Fowler will maybe score 40 points if he improves a lot next year.
I'm a huge fan of Letang, and I've enjoyed watching him since he came into the league, but he's never scored more than 50 points.

Edit: To be clear, I think Letang is an elite offensive talent, and he may be second to only Karlsson in that area. I just think calling Letang a legit 65 point defenseman is a little disingenuous, at this point. Is the potential there? Absolutely. But until he puts up those numbers in a full season, I don't really think he can be called that. I also agree with Paul that comparing Letang and Fowler doesn't really work. I think they are very different players, with the only real similarities being elite puck movement. Fowler's defensive upside looks better, and I see more two-way capability in his game(he's also quite a bit ahead of where Letang was at the same age, and much, much better defensively than he was), but Letang definitely looks like he brings an offensive game that Fowler will never be able to match.

Last edited by Sojourn: 06-28-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

vCash: 500
Fowler netted 40 points in this league as an 18 year. His offensive potential ranges far beyond that, but the past couple years have been focused on improving his all-round game.

On an unrelated note, I have another (likely unrealistic) trade proposal from the main board to share. A Florida fan offered Kulikov+Upshall+32nd overall for Ryan+Souray+Prospect....what does everyone think of Kulikov as a fit on this blueline, and how would would you feel about something based around Ryan+ for Kulikov+?

Last edited by heusy_79: 06-28-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old
06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Fowler netted 40 points in this league as an 18 year. His offensive potential ranges far beyond that, but the past couple years have been focused on improving his all-round game.
I think Fowler certainly has good offensive potential, but I also think it's important to remember how Fowler put up those points: with Visnovsky as the primary PP QB, and Fowler free to use his intelligence and mobility to collect pucks, to make plays, etc...

Fowler, to me, contributes offensively in a manner similar to Niedermayer. He complements the offensive talent that is there, and relies on others to finish what he started.

Old
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Psychoil

hey guys, I just wanted to ask u about DSP....hows he coming along? could he be had in a trade? if so, what would it cost from an edmonton standpoint.

He just seemed to disappear, I remember him being an absolute force before he got injured at the world juniors

Old
06-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Kalvinators
Mindholm!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
hey guys, I just wanted to ask u about DSP....hows he coming along? could he be had in a trade? if so, what would it cost from an edmonton standpoint.

He just seemed to disappear, I remember him being an absolute force before he got injured at the world juniors
I hope he had just a sophomore slump last year.

He was horrible on defense last year, although he was been known as a 2 way forward his whole junior career. He also wasn`t very impressive in offense.
I`d be willing to see what he does in next season before giving up on him, personally.

Old
06-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

I don't really believe that the rumor of Ryan for the 11th and Coburn is true. If it were, though, I think I would be okay with it if our scouts were really high on a player that is available at 11th. I have huge faith in Ducks scouting staff so in that case I'd trust Murray to make that deal. On that note I watch a decent amount of Flyers' games, but for the life of me I can't remember if Coburn has ever played on the right side. Anyone?

And also it sounds like Rich Peverley is available. If Murray isn't interested in the big UFA centers (Lecavalier, Weiss, Ribeiro etc.), but still wants to upgrade the center position, I think Peverley might be the way to go. He struggled this season, but on the previous years he's put up decent amount of points and he is fairly responsible defensively. Good face-off guy, too. Obviously there is a lot of "if's", since we don't what's the plan with Ryan and who knows if Teemu is coming back.

But IMO Getzlaf, Peverley, Koivu, Bonino would be good depth.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Exit Dose

I wonder what we have to add to Ryan to get Matt Read.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Sbisa. Obviously.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:04 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
LOL these Philly fans are really starting to get ridiculous over there aren't they.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
LOL these Philly fans are really starting to get ridiculous over there aren't they.
To be fair, on the occasion I read on the Flyers board, there seems to be much more reason. It's the wrong people that carry out the messages on the Trade Board. Well, at least we haven't seen an equivalent offer for Ryan to one out of Philly I saw today for Perron - Talbot + 3rd. We might get there soon enough, though, with Read quickly being taken off the table for non-star Ryan.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Well, at least we haven't seen an equivalent offer for Ryan to one out of Philly I saw today for Perron - Talbot + 3rd. We might get there soon enough, though, with Read quickly being taken off the table for non-star Ryan.
The other day an Ottawa fan proposed Pageau+Wiercioch+Hoffman for Ryan ...I liked Pageau in the playoffs and all but you're getting pretty close to the level you're describing with that one.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:42 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothpick View Post
And also it sounds like Rich Peverley is available. If Murray isn't interested in the big UFA centers (Lecavalier, Weiss, Ribeiro etc.), but still wants to upgrade the center position, I think Peverley might be the way to go. He struggled this season, but on the previous years he's put up decent amount of points and he is fairly responsible defensively. Good face-off guy, too. Obviously there is a lot of "if's", since we don't what's the plan with Ryan and who knows if Teemu is coming back.

But IMO Getzlaf, Peverley, Koivu, Bonino would be good depth.
I really, really, really do not want Peverley on this team. He is a glorified 3rd liner. He plays wing and center, but he is an overpaid player. I watch him a lot, and he just never seems to do much offensively. He is good defensively, but he's not the type of player we should target for the second line. If we didn't have Koivu, I'd definitely think he'd be a great third liner for us, but nothing more.

Old
06-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
The other day an Ottawa fan proposed Pageau+Wiercioch+Hoffman for Ryan ...I liked Pageau in the playoffs and all but you're getting pretty close to the level you're describing with that one.
Ouch, yes, that's rough. I remember having had a "weird" conversation with an Ottawa fan, as well. He tried to rationalize everything through financial concerns, thus the Ducks prefering Pageau over Zibanejad, etc, etc... Well, it's going to be fun times.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:11 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
Can anyone inform me why Bobby Ryan's value has all of a sudden dropped to the value of a 3rd line overpaid 39 year old winger?

Old
06-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxfan8 View Post
I really, really, really do not want Peverley on this team. He is a glorified 3rd liner. He plays wing and center, but he is an overpaid player. I watch him a lot, and he just never seems to do much offensively. He is good defensively, but he's not the type of player we should target for the second line. If we didn't have Koivu, I'd definitely think he'd be a great third liner for us, but nothing more.
Peverley has always impressed me ever since his Atlanta days. Not a player you can count on to create his own offence every night, but someone who with the right linemates can be very productive. From what I saw from Peverley this season (mostly from the playoffs), this was clearly a disappointing season for him. It really looked like his confidence was shot. He made bad plays in the offensive zone, and it seemed to me he wasn't just reacting to the play like he used to. I really think there was some kind of injury still bothering him this season.

I agree that with Koivu already the 3C he would be playing a bit out of his element here as a 2C. But if he could bounce back from last season, he might a viable option as a stop-gap center until Holland/Rakell/whoever is ready to take on 2nd line center role. And if Koivu retires after next season, Ducks would already have an replacement 3rd line center in Peverley.

It probably wouldn't be ideal, but I think that might be something that Murray might look into if all else fails.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
duxfan8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothpick View Post
Peverley has always impressed me ever since his Atlanta days. Not a player you can count on to create his own offence every night, but someone who with the right linemates can be very productive. From what I saw from Peverley this season (mostly from the playoffs), this was clearly a disappointing season for him. It really looked like his confidence was shot. He made bad plays in the offensive zone, and it seemed to me he wasn't just reacting to the play like he used to. I really think there was some kind of injury still bothering him this season.

I agree that with Koivu already the 3C he would be playing a bit out of his element here as a 2C. But if he could bounce back from last season, he might a viable option as a stop-gap center until Holland/Rakell/whoever is ready to take on 2nd line center role. And if Koivu retires after next season, Ducks would already have an replacement 3rd line center in Peverley.

It probably wouldn't be ideal, but I think that might be something that Murray might look into if all else fails.
It's been a few years since he's had a good season. He is being paid $3.25 mil. If you compare him and his skill set and salary to Bonino's, it would be a shame to pick Peverley over Bonino.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
It's been a few years since he's had a good season. He is being paid $3.25 mil. If you compare him and his skill set and salary to Bonino's, it would be a shame to pick Peverley over Bonino.
The guy had 42 points in 57 games with a +20 in literally the last full season, its not like he's been irrelevant since 2008.

Not saying I want us to sign him, because I really dont see the money we'd pay him as that much of an upgrade over Bonino/Koivu but those are pretty prototypical 2C numbers.

Old
06-28-2013, 01:56 PM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

Some crazy rumour about that Ducks offered Ryan, Etem and 1st for Letang on Twitter.

Old
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
The best offer made by a Philly fan I saw in a Finnish hockey forum where someone suggested Read for Calgarys all three 1st round picks for this year . To even it out, he was willing to offer Meszaros or some picks for later rounds... And this guy was serious.

Old
Doothpick
RIP Ruslan Salei

Quote:
I don't think it would have to be one or the other type situation, since Peverley can slot into wing if needed. His versatility would be exactly what this line-up could use, and it would be nice to have a quality top9 forward locked up beyond next season (Winnik and Cogs are scheduled to become UFA's after this season). He is also only one year removed from having 42 points in 57 games.

In the end I'd much rather have Murray look into acquiring a solid defenceman to pair with Fowler (Ryan trade), but if that doesn't happen I think they could use a guy like Peverley, even with his current price tag.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:00 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post
Some crazy rumour about that Ducks offered Ryan, Etem and 1st for Letang on Twitter.
Pfffft! Pronger didn't return that much, not even when he was younger.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:02 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
You said it:

Crazy.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:04 PM
AngelDuck

I'd do Ryan and our first for Kris Letang with an extension. Would not include Etem, and would not do it if he didn't sign the extension with us

Old
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Selanne138

That's actually an insane offer.

Etem and Gibson are off the table.

Old
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Quote:
**** that if we do that I'll be pissed

Closed Thread