Notices

When will they crack the NHL?

Old
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

vCash: 50
When will they crack the NHL?

I've never started a thread before, but this is something that I've had curiosity in for a while now. It's kind of twofold:

First off, which of our prospects do you think have an outside to strong chance of cracking our NHL roster for at least a handful of games next year? I'm not talking the Piskulas of the world, but guys like Wotherspoon, or Reinhart, or Ferland, or Sieloff.

The second part is, for those that you don't see even having a sniff (a lot of it is unpredictable until they show what they can do in training camp), when do you think we should reasonably be looking for them to emerge?

It just seems that with everyone's projected rosters for next year, there are very few, if any, additions to the lineup from our prospect ranks outside of the goaltending position. Could we not look for at least one of them to "pull a Brodie" at camp and earn their way in?

Anglesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:32 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Reinhart has a shot of pulling a Brodie, plus whoever we draft with the 6th.

Wotherspoon, Bouma, Breen all will see some time I think, even if just a few games.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

The other guy I've been thinking about is Johnny Gaudreau. When his college season finishes, Feaster would probably be wise to sign him as soon as possible so he can't hit the open market. Should we start getting excited about seeing his first NHL action next season, or will he be straight into the AHL?

Old
06-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Reinhart has a shot of pulling a Brodie, plus whoever we draft with the 6th.

Wotherspoon, Bouma, Breen all will see some time I think, even if just a few games.
Maybe his absence has made my heart grow fonder, but I thought that Bouma would be a regular even this year if not for his injury. I think he can expect to be in the roster opening day if he is able to get back to where he was two years ago.

Old
06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
JB51Hockey
51Hockey

vCash: 500
I like Broissiot, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Agostino, Hanowski (can we include him?), Bouma, Sieloff, Wotherspoon and maybe Ramage in the NHL next season for at least a couple games plus Alexander Barkov (the guy we pick in the draft this year)

JB51Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM
F l a m e s
Money Baer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wflames View Post
I've never started a thread before, but this is something that I've had curiosity in for a while now. It's kind of twofold:

First off, which of our prospects do you think have an outside to strong chance of cracking our NHL roster for at least a handful of games next year? I'm not talking the Piskulas of the world, but guys like Wotherspoon, or Reinhart, or Ferland, or Sieloff.

The second part is, for those that you don't see even having a sniff (a lot of it is unpredictable until they show what they can do in training camp), when do you think we should reasonably be looking for them to emerge?

It just seems that with everyone's projected rosters for next year, there are very few, if any, additions to the lineup from our prospect ranks outside of the goaltending position. Could we not look for at least one of them to "pull a Brodie" at camp and earn their way in?
Wotherspoon - I expect Wotherspoon to play next year in the AHL and potentially get 2 - 4 games near the end of the year. I think he will be a 5/6 come 2014/15 season.

Reinhart - One more full year in Abbotsford. He should be one of the first call ups. I expect him to be a regular 2014/15

Sieloff - I think Sieloff will play another full year with Windsor before heading over to Abbotsford. I would predict Sieloff entering the Calgary mix around 2015/16

Ferland - I personally don't think he will make the NHL.

F l a m e s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Maybe his absence has made my heart grow fonder, but I thought that Bouma would be a regular even this year if not for his injury. I think he can expect to be in the roster opening day if he is able to get back to where he was two years ago.
Yup.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
TylerSVT*

I think Wotherspoon plays 9ish games next year.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeben51 View Post
I like Broissiot, Baertschi, Gaudreau, Agostino, Hanowski (can we include him?), Bouma, Sieloff, Wotherspoon and maybe Ramage in the NHL next season for at least a couple games plus Alexander Barkov (the guy we pick in the draft this year)
I forgot about Agostino; he's pretty much in the same boat as Johnny G. I guess we might see them both at the end of this season.

What are Ramage's plans?

Old
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
He most likely would have been. He's not a high-end guy, but he's as good as anyone else the Flames have on their 4th line wings, and he could top out as a borderline 3rd liner.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
I forgot about Agostino; he's pretty much in the same boat as Johnny G. I guess we might see them both at the end of this season.

What are Ramage's plans?
Ramage is going to the AHL, and I highly doubt he's going to make the big team this season. He strikes me as a slow roasting kind of prospect.

Agostino will probably be around next season, JG is still really likely to stick around until school is finished at the end of the 14/15 season; I'd put him at a 50/50 chance of leaving school early, and I think that's being optimistic. Not that he couldn't, but just that he and his parents seem very conservative in terms of their approach to his future (not a bad thing from their standpoint).

The prospects/rookies who will be regulars next season are Baertschi and possibly Reinhart. TSpoon and Hanowski have an outside chance as well, and that's about it. Everyone else either needs or wants an extra season in a feeder league before they try to make the jump. The current crop of prospects, overall, is very young; they're essentially all from the 2010 draft class and later, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with the fact that we're not seeing a lot of them pushing hard for spots in the NHL yet.

Old
06-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

I think Reinhart is going to play 50 games next season. I have a feeling he'll start in Abby and then get a callup after an injury and stay up. I really like that kid and he impressed more than any other callup last season.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Ramage is going to the AHL, and I highly doubt he's going to make the big team this season. He strikes me as a slow roasting kind of prospect.

Agostino will probably be around next season, JG is still really likely to stick around until school is finished at the end of the 14/15 season; I'd put him at a 50/50 chance of leaving school early, and I think that's being optimistic. Not that he couldn't, but just that he and his parents seem very conservative in terms of their approach to his future (not a bad thing from their standpoint).

The prospects/rookies who will be regulars next season are Baertschi and possibly Reinhart. TSpoon and Hanowski have an outside chance as well, and that's about it. Everyone else either needs or wants an extra season in a feeder league before they try to make the jump. The current crop of prospects, overall, is very young; they're essentially all from the 2010 draft class and later, so I wouldn't be overly concerned with the fact that we're not seeing a lot of them pushing hard for spots in the NHL yet.
I disagree. I think you can pencil in Bouma. He'll be here to start the season almost for sure. Wotherspoon should get a taste. Max will be a call up at points, same with Breen. Bartschi is a regular I think from this point on. Hanowski is in a similar position as Reinhart. One can skate, one can shoot neither can do both and both struggled to play against NHL regulars. Cundari is on the team IMO and Agostino could be a call-up for the last couple of games after the college season. Gaudreau is going to finish college and I hope to God that he signs afterwards. There are flashing lights and ringing bells for me on Gaudreau. Too many teams like him, he's ready for pro hockey now and he hasn't signed. I hope I'm wrong, but the Gaudreau situation scares me.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Bouma, Baerstschi, Horak, Breen and Cundari are good possibilities to make the team IMO.

Wotherspoon, Reinhart, Nemisz and Hanowski will likely see some spot action next year IMO.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher: 06-17-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:00 PM
TheHudlinator

Prospects that make the starting lineup:

Baertschi
Bouma
Cundari
Breen

Prospects that play some games for us this year:

Hanowski(2-3 games)
Reinhart(10-15 games is our first call up)
Nemisz(2-3 games)
Wotherspoon(5-10 games)
Horak(10-15 games is our second call up)

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:05 PM
RIP Chris Butler
Feels bad man

IMO this year we're not gonna see to many prospects sadly. Most of our exciting prospects are long term college investments. I'm thinking Baertschi, Bouma, Breen, Reinhart and our 6th overall pick since I remember reading Feaster saying that he wanted someone who could play right away.

RIP Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
IMO this year we're not gonna see to many prospects sadly. Most of our exciting prospects are long term college investments. I'm thinking Baertschi, Bouma, Breen, Reinhart and our 6th overall pick since I remember reading Feaster saying that he wanted someone who could play right away.
Really, the only player that that rules out (whom we should be looking at anyway) is Lindholm. I'm excited to see that first pick on the ice next year. We haven't had a player that young since... huh, you know I'm not sure.

Old
06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

Quote:
Really, the only player that that rules out (whom we should be looking at anyway) is Lindholm. I'm excited to see that first pick on the ice next year. We haven't had a player that young since... huh, you know I'm not sure.
Iginla?

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Iginla?
That's what I was thinking, but I thought 'surely not.'

Old
06-17-2013, 07:35 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I disagree. I think you can pencil in Bouma. He'll be here to start the season almost for sure. Wotherspoon should get a taste. Max will be a call up at points, same with Breen. Bartschi is a regular I think from this point on. Hanowski is in a similar position as Reinhart. One can skate, one can shoot neither can do both and both struggled to play against NHL regulars. Cundari is on the team IMO and Agostino could be a call-up for the last couple of games after the college season. Gaudreau is going to finish college and I hope to God that he signs afterwards. There are flashing lights and ringing bells for me on Gaudreau. Too many teams like him, he's ready for pro hockey now and he hasn't signed. I hope I'm wrong, but the Gaudreau situation scares me.
I just don't consider Bouma to be a prospect, or I'd have listed him as well. He's played enough NHL games over two seasons that I think he's just a player to some degree. Forgot about Cundari, though.

re: Gaudreau, it's hard not to get a little freaked out regarding one of the most exciting prospects we've seen for the Flames in the last two decades, but refusal to sign with the drafting team really is a rarity. The Erixon situation combined with the high profile Schultz thing make it seem like a lot more of a risk than it is. It's unfortunate that the NCAA has such stupid rules to prohibit the signing of a pro contract while a kid is in school, but c'est la vie.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:01 PM
Flames Maniac
Was Flamesfanatic12

Whoever we pick with #6 will likely be signed to an entry level deal, and play the first 9 games or whatever they can play at the beginning of the season before burning the first year, and then be sent down. Because wherever they'd be going, whether it's back to junior or whatever, they can take those 9 games experience and learn a bit from it.

Flames Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Adirondack Flames
moving.... again!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
With Bouma being out for the entire season and him still being waiver exempt I think it might be good for him to start the year in Abbotsford

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Anglesmith
Y'no like wadda guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
With Bouma being out for the entire season and him still being waiver exempt I think it might be good for him to start the year in Abbotsford
I doubt that will happen. Judging from how happy he was with his exit interview, I'd say they've probably assured him that he's got the place he was lined up for last year.

Old
06-17-2013, 08:50 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Our Pk desperately needs him.

TheHudlinator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:03 PM
Adirondack Flames
moving.... again!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Our Pk desperately needs him.
We aren't going to be good either way. So I really don't mind giving him a few weeks to get up to speed.

Adirondack Flames is online now   Reply With Quote