HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread XXI: MacT's Summer Of Fun

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2013, 09:05 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eklund
The Islanders are the most likley to trade for Ales Hemsky who could become quite the catch in a new market...Phoenix, Ottawa, Tampa, and Nashville are also possible...
It's Eklund so take it for what it's worth....makes for interesting discussion at least.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
rasarhdasd

vCash: 500
Friedman said Edmonton has spoken to Carolina about moving up on CBC just now. I hope there's more on this in the coming weeks.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Paralyzer008

Friedman just said EDM and CAR have talked about a trade where Edmonton moves up.

What would we have to give up to go to 5th overall?

Old
06-15-2013, 09:17 PM
AlbertaHockey20

ASSESSMENT
Good:
Powerplay 20.1% for 8th (20.6% 3rd in 2011/12)
Penalty Kill 83.4% for 9th (82.4% for 14th in 2011/12)

Bad:
Face-offs 46.1% for 30th (47.7% for 27th in 2011/12)
Shots per game 26.8 for 26th (26.7 for 29th in 2011/12)
Shots against 32.8 for 29th (30.7 for 19th in 2011/2012)

Realisms:
Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, J Schultz and Smyth will be back this year. Gagner, Paajarvi, Smid, and Belov are almost definitely going to be there as well.
Hemsky and Horcoff need to be traded.
Jones, Fistric and Smithson have uncertain futures with the Oilers.
Petrell, Peckham, and Hordichuk are very likely gone.

MacT has stated that the Oilers need to control the momentum shifts better. I see only a handful of ways that momentum is controlled and/or generated: a big hit, a fight, extended offensive possession, a great penalty kill, or a goal. The Oilers lack in the first three areas. Oilers do not generate enough shots and lose far too many faceoffs to maintain possession and do not have enough players willing to mix it up in scrums, fight or deliver a big hit. That needs to be addressed without sacrificing the special team successes that are the only bright spots in the Oilers play.

PROPOSAL
Trade 1: Ales Hemsky to Ottawa for C Zack Smith plus a prospect or pick. This trade seems to have been generally accepted to make a lot of sense for both teams. I agree if Ottawa adds a little bit.

Trade 2: Shawn Horcoff to Columbus for LW RJ Umberger. Both teams lose a bad conract. Umberger will actually get paid 9 million and Horcoff will get 7 million. From a cap and money situation this will be good for both teams.

Trade 3: 7th overall in 2013 and Nick Schultz to St Louis for D Jay Bouwmeester. St Louis clears salary to sign Pietrangelo, Shattenkirk, Stewart, and Berglund. Edmonton gets an excellent skating left handed defenceman that plays well in all situations and dramatically improves the defensive minutes played. He also helps the Oilers deal with the likes of Anaheim, SJS and LA in their new tough division to help shelter Klefbom and Justin Schultz.

Trade 4: Futures for Rich Peverley. Boston is against the salary cap in a bad way and probably doesn't even want current players back. Peverley is versatile, can play a shut down role or a more offensive role from the right wing or from centre. He can win faceoffs and is good on the penalty kill. He is also skilled enough to play on the second powerplay. Hopefully he could acquired without Marincin. A couple of 2nds would be more than worth it.

Trade 5: Brown and Potter are moved on. Although, I'd wouldn't hate to see Potter on the Oilers and Klefbom in the AHL. Either way.

UFA signing 1: Winger Viktor Stalberg. I believe Stalberg is a nice fit with the Oilers. He can play both wings, has terrific speed, high skill level, is reasonable defensively, is familiar with Eakins, and can move up the lineup if need be.

UFA signing 2: A backup goaltender. There are a few reasonable choices out there.

Buyout 1: Eric Belanger.

Resign: Fistric to a $1.5million hometown discount contract, Jerred Smithson for under $1 million, and Paajarvi to a deal in the $2 million range. Smithson is retained as effective role player that can kill penalties and take important faceoffs. He can play the right side or centre and adds versatility, experience, and toughness.

New Blood: Oscar Klefbom should be able to start playing sheltered minutes for the Oilers. Martin Marincin will probably see his first games this season. Anton Lander played very well down the stretch in OKC and may create some havoc at camp this year.

RESULTS
Hall – Gagner – Yakupov
PRV – RNH – Eberle
Umberger - Peverley - Stalberg
Smyth - Smith - Smithson
Eager
Lander

JBo – J Schultz
Smid – Petry
Fistric – Belov
Klefbom

Dubnyk
Backup

PRV @ 2.0, Gagner @ 4.5, Smithson @ 0.8, Stalberg @ 3.0, Fistric @ 1.5. Backup @ 1.2

Cap Space left @ ~0.61 million

STRENGTH 1
Flexibility: This lineup can be juggled for injuries, matchups, chemistry and anything in between. It could just as easily look like

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Umberger - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Smith - Peverley
Paajarvi - Lander - Stalberg
Smithson
Eager

STRENGTH 2:
The third line can play anyway you work it with Peverley and creating so much speed and flexibility.
The Smith(ers) line brings a ton of value and some excellent line name opportunities.
I also like the Swedish Speed line of Paajarvi, Lander, and Stalberg which would be hard to play against with the speed and forecheck they could bring.

STRENGTH 3:
More defensive depth. Four adept penalty killers in Petry, Fistric, Bouwmeester, and Smid and lots of powerplay options with Schultz, Bouwmeester, Belov, and Petry.

STRENGTH 4:
Faceoffs are improved. Peverley, Smithson, and Smith give multiple options. Peverley gives a good faceoff man for the powerplay that also has skill which the Oilers lacked last year.

STRENGTH 5:
More toughness. Umberger, Smid, Fistric, Eager, and Smith in the line up is gives a variety of toughness and the same man doesn't have to answer the bell. The bell also won't be rung as often I would hope.

STRENGTH 6:
Special teams should be equally as effective I would think. Possibly even better with the improvement of the young talent.

STRENGTH 7:
Speed. Peverley, Stalberg, and the return of Eager make the bottom six considerably faster.

WEAKNESS 1:
Cap space. It may be difficult to retain Schultz, Belov and RNH unless the cap goes up by a few million. But, there is a good chance of that.

WEAKNESS 2:
Not enough defensive depth. Injuries could hurt this team, but Marincin and Fedun are making that situation look less dire.

WEAKNESS 3:
Faceoffs in the top six still aren't very good.

WEAKNESS 4:
Toughness in the top 6 and overall forward group. This could be improved possibly, but overall it isn't in as bad a state. There is more size, but there isn't a bonafide fighter in the group.

WEAKNESS 5:
Will goaltending hold up?

WEAKNESS 6:
Veteran leadership is lacking, but two players from Stanley Cup finalists would be coming in and hopefully bringing a strong mentality.

Last edited by AlbertaHockey20: 06-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old
06-15-2013, 09:17 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Friedman just said EDM and CAR have talked about a trade where Edmonton moves up.

7th + ANA 2nd + EDM 3rd? That's similar to what TOR gave up to move from #7 to #5 in '08.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
If Edmonton moves up, big chance that they want Barkov.

It will depend on how pick #4 goes. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin will go top 3.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
If Edmonton moves up, big chance that they want Barkov.

It will depend on how pick #4 goes. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin will go top 3.
Friedman said NSH won't move 4.

Basically it's all up to Nichushkin on the Barkov front, but I truly think EDM just really loves Monahan and know that Calgary will take him at 6 if he doesn't go at 5.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*

5 isn't high enough if we want Barkov. Nashville has him locked in their sights.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:45 PM
BarDownBobo

Nichushkin is the decider if Edm can get Barkov at 5. If TB takes him, I don't think there's a chance Nash passes on Drouin. If it goes like that I'd be offering a ton to get to 5.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Mr Sakich

An important thing about moving up to 5 th is that it would have a lot more trade value than our 7th. A player will be available that will be highly coveted by a few teams. We could move up to 5 and then swap it for our first pairing dman or big centre

Old
06-15-2013, 09:52 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post

Depends on who Carolina wants I guess, if they're confident he'll still be there at 7 then maybe they'd take our 2nd.

Old
06-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Oilfan2
13.5%

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
7th + ANA 2nd + EDM 3rd? That's similar to what TOR gave up to move from #7 to #5 in '08.
I don't think we have a 3rd...

Old
06-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Fistric

Old
06-15-2013, 10:05 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Would Gagner + Hemsky (1/2 price) + 2014 1st get Gormely + 12 overall pick (Horvat) ?

Rundblad is apparently threatening to sign in KHL so maybe he could be added to deal for super cheap as well
If you can get Runblad in there too I'd to it for sure. Future top 4 of Gormley-Schultz and Klefbom-Runblad would probably be really good. Plus adding a Lazar/Horvat? Would be goo IMO. But you gotta be fairly confident you can find a 2C in Free Agency(Bozak).

Old
06-15-2013, 10:10 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Depends on who Carolina wants I guess, if they're confident he'll still be there at 7 then maybe they'd take our 2nd.
On the Carolina side of things, from the sounds of things our staff absolutely LOVES Nichushkin. So if you guys are dead-set on a center, as is Calgary, it's a move that would make sense.

I know JR mentioned wanting help on the blueline as part of the deal if we move down. Have to wonder if David Musil caught one of our scouts eye when they were catching one of Keegan Lowe's games this season.

LA also was rumored to have offered JR the choice of Colten Teubert or Slava Voynov + a 2nd for Ray Whitney at the deadline a few years ago before Whitney exercised his NTC to nix it when LA wasn't willing to give him a long-term extension. Could easily see Rutherford still being interested in Teubert.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:25 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Damn, totally forgot.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:29 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
MacT really is a genius.

He could be trying to bluff Calgary into thinking we're attempting leapfrog them.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

A deal between CAR and EDM makes too much sense not to happen, IMO. Edmonton wants to make sure they are getting Monahan (or Lindholm) while Carolina probably knows Calgary wouldn't take Nichushkin and can get him at 7 anyways. Might as well gain an asset instead of picking outright at 5. Carolina needs defenseman, Edmonton has an abundance of D prospects.

#5 to EDM for #7, Teubert, '14 3rd

IMO this is completely fair. I assume the Oilers wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd to move up two spots when both teams know they're getting their guy anyways. At least I hope not.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
A deal between CAR and EDM makes too much sense not to happen, IMO. Edmonton wants to make sure they are getting Monahan (or Lindholm) while Carolina probably knows Calgary wouldn't take Nichushkin and can get him at 7 anyways. Might as well gain an asset instead of picking outright at 5. Carolina needs defenseman, Edmonton has an abundance of D prospects.

IMO this is completely fair. I assume the Oilers wouldn't be willing to give up a 2nd to move up two spots when both teams know they're getting their guy anyways. At least I hope not.
That makes sense. We can replenish a pick from Hemsky too.

Pretty certain Edmonton has identified Monahan as their man and need to lock him down.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Sloth Slothersons*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
MacT really is a genius.

He could be trying to bluff Calgary into thinking we're attempting leapfrog them.
Everything MacT does is genius from now on. He's always one step ahead of us.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:58 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
On the Preds board the fans were talking about what to give up for Hemsky and it looks like they agree that Spaling + a pick is fair value.

Spaling is an interesting player. I remember he got sick before the world juniors and couldn't play...he was a lock to make that team as a checking center. He was also a big part of the Kitchener team that ultimately lost to Dustin Tokarski and Jared Cowen's Spokane team.

And like we've seen with Ryan Jones, Vernon Fiddler, Joel Ward, Scott Nichol and Rich Peverley, you can rarely go wrong in 2-way or defensive forwards produced in the Predators system.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:59 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
On the Carolina side of things, from the sounds of things our staff absolutely LOVES Nichushkin. So if you guys are dead-set on a center, as is Calgary, it's a move that would make sense.

I know JR mentioned wanting help on the blueline as part of the deal if we move down. Have to wonder if David Musil caught one of our scouts eye when they were catching one of Keegan Lowe's games this season.

LA also was rumored to have offered JR the choice of Colten Teubert or Slava Voynov + a 2nd for Ray Whitney at the deadline a few years ago before Whitney exercised his NTC to nix it when LA wasn't willing to give him a long-term extension. Could easily see Rutherford still being interested in Teubert.
Hopefully but im betting hes not. Tuebert is very brutal these days. He was scratched all through the playoffs and Id be suprised if he was offered a contract this offseason and heads to KHL.

Im not totally sure Id give up Musil to move up two spots. I love Monahan/Lindholm but would be fine with Nischuskin to. Also, if Nischuskin falls to 7, you can bet alot of teams will be eager to trade up to get him, allowing us to get a bigger return.

Id do 7th + Gernat (fellow Oil king, more uspide than Musil, but bigger bust risk) for 5th

Old
06-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

So there's a rumour that Feaster offered up all 3 of the Flames' first round picks to Colorado for #1 overall.

Ah Jay, I can smell the scent of desperation and hopelessness.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
06-15-2013, 11:02 PM
rasarhdasd

I doubt they would still want Teubert, if they would that would be awesome, but I could see 7 + Ana 2nd + D prospect (Musil) or maybe even Nick Schultz?

Old
06-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post

LOL Carolina would laugh their ***** off at that trade offer.

As for who the oilers are trading up for, onlyif Barkov falls do I want to trade up. I'll not be happy if they traded up for Monahan.

Closed Thread