HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mount Islander... Who belongs?

Old
06-16-2013, 01:06 AM
The Korean*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Charles Wang

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:19 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
with all due respect to the great Mr Bossy, IMHO Trottier is the greatest Islander AINEC.the most complete player we have ever had..

So I would put Trottier/Bossy/Potvin and Arbour although it's tough to leave off Torrey.. and JT could be pushing to change that facade in the next 5 years.
Agreed that Trots > Bossy.

Bossy was flashier and more exciting (thus making more exciting highlight reels)-but Trots was the much better all around player. Similar to Toews/Kane....Kane's flashier-but Toews is just the better player.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
That's a tough one. I'll go with Al Arbour, Bill Torrey, Mike Bossy and Bob Nystrom.
No Potvin thats pretty amazing.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:31 AM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Charles Wang
You Joke but Wang should be the #1 face on that mountain. Without Wang there are no Islanders. Even if you dont like the Islanders under Wang it is better than what they have in Hartford, Quebec, Atlanta and soon to be Phoenix.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:52 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
I would not put the Polish Prince in that ingloriuos grouping. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having Mariusz (in his prime) on JT's wing. The guy scored quite a few of goals for the Isles.

agreed

TeamKidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Spano, Sparky the Dragon, Trevor Gillies and that blonde ice girl (don't know her name)

I'll just pick players and it is a tough decision:

Trottier, Potvin, Bossy and Smith

Gillies and Nystrom are right there though.

Axe Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:07 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
Spano, Sparky the Dragon, Trevor Gillies and that blonde ice girl (don't know her name)

I'll just pick players and it is a tough decision:

Trottier, Potvin, Bossy and Smith

Gillies and Nystrom are right there though.
If we include Arbour and Torrey, then the two players should be Denis Potvin and Bossy

If it is just players it should be
Potvin, Nystrom, Bossy and Billy Smith

I think it would be more interesting to do "the next 4" after them

Palffy, Turgeon, Tavares, Jonsson (Kenny or Tomas), Gillies (Clark not Trevor!!!)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:31 AM
InformTheMasses

Jiggs McDonald, Billy Jaffe, John Wiedeman, Chris King

And if the Islanders didn't have MSG sabotaging their coverage most of these if not all could still be around today.

Jiggs PBP
Jaffe (color)
Weideman (Radio PBP)
King (TV RInkside or Radio Color)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
with all due respect to the great Mr Bossy, IMHO Trottier is the greatest Islander AINEC.the most complete player we have ever had..

So I would put Trottier/Bossy/Potvin and Arbour although it's tough to leave off Torrey.. and JT could be pushing to change that facade in the next 5 years.
I think you mean complete forward. Not trading Denis on draft day made the whole Dynasty possible.

Mr. Wang has asked that everyone's face be up on the rock. Kind of like a 12th place trophy.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
You Joke but Wang should be the #1 face on that mountain. Without Wang there are no Islanders. Even if you dont like the Islanders under Wang it is better than what they have in Hartford, Quebec, Atlanta and soon to be Phoenix.
Well thats balanced out by how ****** he ran the team.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeftSkates View Post
I think you mean complete forward. Not trading Denis on draft day made the whole Dynasty possible.

Mr. Wang has asked that everyone's face be up on the rock. Kind of like a 12th place trophy.
No i meant that IMHO Trottier has been the franchises most complete player period... Trottier did it all, every facet of the game from his center position. The Islanders could play any style of hockey with any team in their dynasty years and that started with trottier.. Potvin was one of the 3 all time great players on this team and an offensive force from his D position (and ohh those hip checks) but Persson saved his bacon more than once.. I love that whole team don't get me wrong and there are at least 3 players you can debate was the greatest on that team with others getting honorable mention, but to me 19 was the man if i have to pick one..Hey if Arbour said Trottier was better than Gretzky at that time, who am i to argue

Those teams were the epitome of TEAM. Trottier, Bossy and Potvin are the Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln on our mount Rushmore.. the only debate is who is Teddy Roosevelt.

Just one site's input and an excerpt.
http://nyislanderslegends.blogspot.c...-trottier.html

Quote:
The fact that Trottier scored over 500 career goals and 1400 points in 1200 games is amazing, as it often seemed that Trottier was more interested in such intangibles as body checking and defensive attention.

Isles coach Al Arbour had a much easier job when Trottier was in the lineup, and agreed that in the early 1980s that Trottier was the league's best center. "Gretzky is an offensive genius for sure," said the slightly biased Islanders bench boss. "But at this stage Trots gives you more things. Defensively, he's outstanding. And he's physically tough. He comes up with his 100 points a year, automatically, along with everything else!"

Arbour once also said he'd never trade Trottier for Gretzky.

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:00 PM
BTrotts19

Obviously Torrey and Arbour on the admin side would be Rushmore material but who knows maybe in 15-20 yrs Garth gets into the discussion!!! From what he inherited to how he has to manage (so far) on a very limited budget, it would be remarkable if the team came all the way back and were kings of the league again. Also, for all the shyte Wang has gotten over the years (some of it deservedly so!!) I for one am grateful he kept the team in commuting distance for most of us. I can't blame the guy for trying to limit his losses with that ridiculous contract Nassau Cty has with him, all the political nonsense he had to endure when he tried to better the terms. He worked out a better deal for himself in Brooklyn--at that point I would expect him to open up the wallet. I would hope he wants to build a winner and think he probably knows at some point he needs to spend some serous coin (wisely!!) and bring in some prime time stars to supplement what was built on the farm.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:01 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
No i meant that IMHO Trottier has been the franchises most complete player period... Trottier did it all, every facet of the game from his center position. The Islanders could play any style of hockey with any team in their dynasty years and that started with trottier.. Potvin was one of the 3 all time great players on this team and an offensive force from his D position (and ohh those hip checks) but Persson saved his bacon more than once.. I love that whole team don't get me wrong and there are at least 3 players you can debate was the greatest on that team with others getting honorable mention, but to me 19 was the man if i have to pick one..Hey if Arbour said Trottier was better than Gretzky at that time, who am i to argue

Those teams were the epitome of TEAM. Trottier, Bossy and Potvin are the Washington, Jefferson and Lincoln on our mount Rushmore.. the only debate is who is Teddy Roosevelt.

Just one site's input and an excerpt.
http://nyislanderslegends.blogspot.c...-trottier.html
Thank you for this post. Anyone that actually watched the Islanders play during the glory years will know that Trottier was the best all around player the Islanders ever had. Most fans don't realize how strong a checker he was He never seemed that big, but he threw a heavy check. He was also very difficult to get the puck from when he was battling against the boards. Bossy may be the glamorous pick, but Trots was the player that made that line so difficult to play against.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:26 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3 View Post
No Potvin thats pretty amazing.
The only reason I included Nystrom was because I thought it would be more symbolic of the dynasty years since Nystrom is the one who scored the famous OT winner which started the string of four straight Cups. Can't go wrong with Potvin at all though.

islesfan3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:09 PM
Islanderfan17

Gervais, Sim, Comeau, Campoli

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:23 PM
JeffNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Who would you put on Mount Islander? Kind of similar to Mount Rushmore. 4 guys you'd want to see engraved in granite.

So who?
Guess I'm not the only member of PFT Planet on here.

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:31 PM
Sparksrus3

Bertuzzi , McCabe ,Chara , Spezza ,

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 09:07 PM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Thank you for this post. Anyone that actually watched the Islanders play during the glory years will know that Trottier was the best all around player the Islanders ever had. Most fans don't realize how strong a checker he was He never seemed that big, but he threw a heavy check. He was also very difficult to get the puck from when he was battling against the boards. Bossy may be the glamorous pick, but Trots was the player that made that line so difficult to play against.
IMO Trots may be one of the most underrated players in NHL history. As others have said, he was the best Isles player ever and should be #1 on Mt Islander.

Potvin and Bossy also must be there. Smith is close behind, but if it's not just players it would be a tough call between Smitty and Arbour.

As for Torrey, I've never been able to get over the fact that the franchise went downhill after his assistant GM, Jimmy Devallano, left for Detroit, and Detroit had a similar turnaround for the better. In retrospect, I've always wondered if it wasn't Devallano who was the real front office guy behind the dynasty. That question mark would keep Torrey out of the discussion for me.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Maineac View Post
I would not put the Polish Prince in that ingloriuos grouping. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having Mariusz (in his prime) on JT's wing. The guy scored quite a few of goals for the Isles.
I'm gonna borrow funny a line from another thread that also works here... Czerkawski is Boyes with better hair.

Also, no way Trottier is on Mt. Islander. The guy coached the ****ing Rangers. Sorry. Disqualified.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
seafoam
Nielsen, Frans

vCash: 50
Did someone mention Kate Murray yet?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 04:37 AM
ScaredStreit

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
IMO Trots may be one of the most underrated players in NHL history. As others have said, he was the best Isles player ever and should be #1 on Mt Islander.

Potvin and Bossy also must be there. Smith is close behind, but if it's not just players it would be a tough call between Smitty and Arbour.

As for Torrey, I've never been able to get over the fact that the franchise went downhill after his assistant GM, Jimmy Devallano, left for Detroit, and Detroit had a similar turnaround for the better. In retrospect, I've always wondered if it wasn't Devallano who was the real front office guy behind the dynasty. That question mark would keep Torrey out of the discussion for me.
While I agree about Torrey-he also did build a pretty good team down in Florida in the 90s (in 3 years they went to the finals).

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:00 AM
Isles72

dipietro clean cut , dipietro long hair , dipietro with beard , dipietro clean shaven

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:32 AM
Strummergas

Potvin, Trottier, Bossy, and Arbour. Torrey wouldn't be on Mt. Islander because he built Mt. Islander.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:37 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeland Security View Post
Who would you put on Mount Islander? Kind of similar to Mount Rushmore. 4 guys you'd want to see engraved in granite.

So who?
Anyone who has already been retired.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:52 AM
mack809f

The case for Billy Smith

88-36 playoff record 2.73 playoff gaa. In 1983 he held the Oilers to 6 goals in the 4 game finals sweep and was named MVP. The Oilers of Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, and Kurri led the league with 424 regular season goals but were shut out 2-0 in game 1. The next regular season the Oilers scored 443 goals, a record that still stands. If we find another one like him we'll win 4 more cups.
The other guys on my top four would be Potvin, Trottier and Bossy.

mack809f is offline   Reply With Quote