HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

New Rink planned

Old
06-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

vCash: 500
New Rink planned

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...E&sf13987536=1

Glad to see a new rink go up but sad to to see the death of HHM. Rivergate is also dying a slow death. My youth hangouts are slowly going away. I still remember being stopped in HHM to help do market research for gum and getting paid 20 bucks just to chew gum for a week and mail in a survey

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:32 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post

Glad to see a new rink go up but sad to to see the death of HHM. Rivergate is also dying a slow death. My youth hangouts are slowly going away. I still remember being stopped in HHM to help do market research for gum and getting paid 20 bucks just to chew gum for a week and mail in a survey
Terrible location. Things go to Antioch to die, not grow.

Agreed on Rivergate. Was in town a few months ago and went to Rivergate sports seasons to pick up some Preds gear and I was shocked at what I saw. Just very sad as I too spent much of my childhood there.

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Wonderful location for those of us in Smyrna, Murfreesboro and Mt. Juilet.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:40 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd rather drive a little further and not be in the hood.

But that's just me.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
I'd rather drive a little further and not be in the hood.

But that's just me.
I'm from Woodbine, Antioch doesn't bother me. Centennial park at night can be just as bad and I've parked by it for years with no worries.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
hockey diva

Cheap land.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 05:56 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
I'm from Woodbine, Antioch doesn't bother me. Centennial park at night can be just as bad and I've parked by it for years with no worries.
I've done deliveries in Antioch many times...I've seen freaky stuff in Antioch.

I'd walk around Centennial Park at night before I'd ever do the same in Antioch.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:03 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Guess we're just different. I have friends that still live in Antioch, it's not bad. I've walked around both at night and never had an issue.

I'm sure Metro will patrol the parking lots. I'm not worried.

I look forward to playing at a rink closer than 45 minutes away, especially on nights were my games don't start until 10:50.

It will also be easier for me to get my son to the rink after work, right now, it's impossible for him to make a 5:30 PM practice.

Old
06-15-2013, 06:05 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
If you are worried about Antioch maybe you could use this for protection

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Something very interesting in this article that we've previously discussed on the forum...

Quote:
“Obviously, we’re trying to encourage youth hockey in the city,” Herb Fritch, who has the largest stake among the Predators’ owners, said, speaking generally.

I don't care for the location, but believe new ice, especially quality ice run by an NHL franchise is a positive development for the growth of hockey in Tennessee. New ice going in will draw some of the stress off the existing sheets in the interim to meet the demand, but will quickly be filled up again by the new participants and programs that will join the community.

Interesting about Fritsch. Didn't realize he had overtaken Freeman as the majority shareholder in the team. Guessing Freeman sold shares he owned off to W. Brett Wilson when Wilson joined the group as they are joint owners in a couple other sports teams (minor league baseball in West Tennessee and Derby County football club in England).

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:28 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok they are putting sheet of ice for practice in the Bridge and this one... Interesting

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Ok they are putting sheet of ice for practice in the Bridge and this one... Interesting
I find that interesting too. Was actually just about to tweet about that... Would be great if this is a two sheet facility and Bridgestone adds a single practice sheet. Would open up three sheets of ice.

With the expansion of the Jr. Preds programs, it would be an excellent development to have them train at the team facilities and also alleviate some of the pressure their programs command on the ice time available at local rinks...

Overall, new ice is a great thing for the continued growth of the sport in the Middle Tennessee community!

Old
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Byrddog

I worked in that area of Antioch for 14 years. The last time I was at HHM there was a drug related shooting in the parking lot. Crime and violence was out of control, perhaps they have got it under control since 2009. I was surprised when I saw the announcement on TV about the plans for the Mall area. There also going to open up a education center partnered with MTSU. So maybe they have a plan for security but for a long time it was not a place you would want your family after dark.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 07:43 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I find that interesting too. Was actually just about to tweet about that... Would be great if this is a two sheet facility and Bridgestone adds a single practice sheet. Would open up three sheets of ice.

With the expansion of the Jr. Preds programs, it would be an excellent development to have them train at the team facilities and also alleviate some of the pressure their programs command on the ice time available at local rinks...

Overall, new ice is a great thing for the continued growth of the sport in the Middle Tennessee community!
I'm a little confused. When I read the article in the fishwrap, I read that the new sheet of ice at HHM is the "new youth facility" that apparently they had to commit to as part of the lease with Metro.

Are you saying you think they are putting a second sheet of ice at the Bridge? I don't see that.....

They just finished putting a lot of money into the dehumidifiers in the Bridge.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I'm a little confused. When I read the article in the fishwrap, I read that the new sheet of ice at HHM is the "new youth facility" that apparently they had to commit to as part of the lease with Metro.

Are you saying you think they are putting a second sheet of ice at the Bridge? I don't see that.....

They just finished putting a lot of money into the dehumidifiers in the Bridge.
The Thursday after the regular season ended, the Predators in their monthly meeting with Metro and the Sports Authority introduced a proposal in followup to their expansion of the side of the arena facing the new convention center of building a single sheet practice facility in the bowels of the arena.

I've since been told this evening that that plan was very much simply a proposal and didn't have much weight behind it. It will not happen now that this announcement is set to take place, but is something to keep in mind for the future possibly.

Still awaiting word on whether this new facility will be one sheet or two, but regardless...new ice is good ice!

Old
06-15-2013, 11:26 PM
PFL615

Great location for ice desperately needed for the growth of Rutherford and Wilson counties. Hope this is another step to clean up the area that got destroyed by thugs in the early 2000s.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:19 AM
The PH Factor

I had heard rumors a couple of years ago about a rink up in Hendersonville...anyone heard updates or if that's progressing?

The PH Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 07:17 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I've heard rumors of a Hendersonville rink since the mid 90's.

Old
06-16-2013, 07:53 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I live in Mt Juliet and could get to the Sportsplex quicker than Hickory Hollow. Hopefully it means there will be some better things happening again down there though.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 08:44 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I live in Mt Juliet and could get to the Sportsplex quicker than Hickory Hollow. Hopefully it means there will be some better things happening again down there though.
Really? I would think a straight shot down Hobson Pike would put you right there.

Old
06-16-2013, 08:52 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Rinks are a destination type of real estate. No need to put them in prime locations, especially if they want to be able to pay off the loan.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
This is not too far from me. The Hickory Hollow has been getting cleaned up for the past 5 years or so. Still not perfect but its not exactly a terrible location and I would not be scared of your safety. There are new businesses and nicer apartment complexes opening up in the area so it should only get better.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
This is not too far from me. The Hickory Hollow has been getting cleaned up for the past 5 years or so. Still not perfect but its not exactly a terrible location and I would not be scared of your safety. There are new businesses and nicer apartment complexes opening up in the area so it should only get better.
That's good to hear

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Really? I would think a straight shot down Hobson Pike would put you right there.
It's probably pretty close timewise, but going a much faster speed (with no stoplights) down 40 then getting off at Church gets you to the Sportsplex pretty quickly. I work off of Briley Parkway and from the MJ exit to the Briley exit it takes less than 10 minutes without traffic. I wouldn't say it would take more than 10 minutes after that to keep going to the Sportsplex

Last edited by Drake744: 06-16-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:05 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
The Thursday after the regular season ended, the Predators in their monthly meeting with Metro and the Sports Authority introduced a proposal in followup to their expansion of the side of the arena facing the new convention center of building a single sheet practice facility in the bowels of the arena.

I've since been told this evening that that plan was very much simply a proposal and didn't have much weight behind it. It will not happen now that this announcement is set to take place, but is something to keep in mind for the future possibly.

Still awaiting word on whether this new facility will be one sheet or two, but regardless...new ice is good ice!
Okay, thanks. I didn't know that.

Is that area where it's like a "music practice area" where they were thinking about doing it? I don't know which side it's on.
I've always wondered where they keep the animals when the circus is in there. There is obviously a lot more room than I know about.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote