HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ranger Prospect Poll - #22

View Poll Results: #22
Dwight Helminen 6 14.29%
Ryan Hollweg 1 2.38%
Roman Psurny 2 4.76%
Chad Wiseman 1 2.38%
Zdenek Bahensky 3 7.14%
Joey Crabb 1 2.38%
Garth Murray 17 40.48%
Corey Potter 0 0%
Jake Taylor 8 19.05%
Nate Guenin 1 2.38%
Chris Holt 0 0%
Greg Moore 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2005, 12:57 PM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Ranger Prospect Poll - #22

#1 Prospect -- Henrik Lundqvist (G) - 2000 Draft - #205 Overall, 7th Round*
#2 Prospect -- Fedor Tyutin (D) - 2001 Draft - #40 Overall, 2nd Round*
#3 Prospect -- Al Montoya (G) - 2004 Draft - #6 Overall, 1st Round*
#4 Prospect -- Hugh Jessiman (RW) - 2003 Draft - #12 Overall, 1st Round*
#5 Prospect -- Jarkko Immonen (C) - 2002 Draft - #254 Overall, 8th Round
#6 Prospect -- Lauri Korpikoski (LW) - 2004 Draft - #19 Overall, 1st Round*
#7 Prospect -- Maxim Kondratiev (D) - 2001 Draft - #168 Overall, 6th Round
#8 Prospect -- Jozef Balej (RW) - 2000 Draft - #78 Overall, 3rd Round
#9 Prospect -- Nigel Dawes (LW) - 2003 Draft - #149 Overall, 5th Round*
#10 Prospect - Ivan Baranka (D) - 2003 Draft - #50 Overall, 2nd Round*
#11 Prospect - Petr Prucha (C) - 2002 Draft - #240 Overall, 8th Round*
#12 Prospect - Bruce Graham (C) - 2004 Draft - #51 Overall, 2nd Round*
#13 Prospect - Thomas Pock (D) - Not Drafted*
#14 Prospect - Alexandre Giroux (LW) - 1999 Draft - #213 Overall, 7th Round
#15 Prospect - Bryce Lampman (D) - 2001 Draft - #113 Overall, 4th Round*
#16 Prospect - Darin Olver (C) - 2004 Draft - #36 Overall, 2nd Round*
#17 Propsect - Dave Liffton (D) - 2003 Draft - #63 Overall, 2nd Round
#18 Prospect - Brandon Dubinsky (C) - 2004 Draft - #60 Overall, 2nd Round*
#19 Prospect - Dominic Moore (C) - 2000 Draft - #95 Overall, 3rd Round*
#20 Prospect - Ryan Callahan (RW) - 2004 Draft - #127 Overall, 4th Round*
#21 Prospect - Billy Ryan (C) - 2004 Draft - #80 Overall, 3rd Round*
* - Home grown prospects (NYR Drafted/Signed)
-----
Added: Corey Potter
Nominations: Petruzalek(1), Furrer(2), Kozak(2), Jonasen(1), Roche(1), Paiement(1)
Nominate someone else
-----

Old
05-30-2005, 01:07 PM
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Picked:Murray - power fowards often develop slowly. Hopefully he finds a decent scoring touch in the NHL because he has the character this organization needs.

Addetruzalek

Old
05-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Taz

Murray again, hes already been to the NHL, has size power streangth, decent fighting skills, just hope he can develop more offence.

Add: Falardeau

Old
05-30-2005, 02:06 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Murray again, hes already been to the NHL, has size power streangth, decent fighting skills, just hope he can develop more offence.

Add: Falardeau

Voted for Helminen. Add Roche

Old
05-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Went with Murray over Helminen, add Roche.

Old
05-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Ola

Went with Murray over Hollweg, Taylor, G. Moore, Helminen, Weller, Kozak, Byers, Petruzalek, Wiseman, Bahensky, Guenin, Furrer, Psurny, Crabb, Potter, Foote and Holt in order.

Comments: Hollweg is a lock. I think Ryan have more potential then whats expected from him right now. After that I feel Taylor have potential, though most likely a 6th dman slugger. Like him allot though. Greg Moore seems to have it all. Hopefully he'll be the next Murray/Ortmayer. Helminen have dissapointed on me, but I had really high expectations. He will need a whole year with allot more responibility in HFD. I don't know if I am blind but I like Craig Weller. This guy is just starting to roll!(hopefully ) Kozak and Byres, the twin concrete blocks. They need to have a perfect developing curve from this summer and then 2-3 years to come close. If they do they have allot of interesting abilitys. Wiseman, well don't like his vision and hockey sense. Really good skillset though. Don't think he'll last in the org. any long. Bahensky his upside should warrant a higher spot, but I don't know. The felling isn't their... Guenin I haven't seen any of Nasty Nate. When I read about him I miss allot of qualitys. Like speed and stickhandling. Their aren't many 6'2 D's that aren't good at anything then the physical game. Seems to have great attitude though. Furrer is a longshoot. He was good in the WJC where I saw him in one game. But, D is a really tough position to make it. Psurny looks like a player who could have a career in Europe, don't seems to have that extra thats needed though. Crabb& Foote are two players who the scout in charge of probably hoped he had missed something on. Because all the other characteristics are there, except vision, hands ect.

ADD: DANE BYERS& CRAIG WELLER

Last edited by Ola: 05-30-2005 at 05:45 PM.
Old
05-30-2005, 03:00 PM
NYRangers

Moore. I really like his game. Saw him a couple times this year and was really impressed.

Old
05-30-2005, 04:51 PM
BigE

I'm a little frustrated that Jake Taylor has continued to slide down the rankings. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of him as some here...

He's huge, not overly slow, and plays a reliable, rugged game. His upside seems to be a #3-4 guy and that, to me, beats anything on the board now.

Add Petruzalek and Furrer.

Old
05-30-2005, 05:24 PM
bmoak

Any chance of alphbetizing the list?

Taylor. Add Petruzalek

Old
05-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
I'm a little frustrated that Jake Taylor has continued to slide down the rankings. Perhaps I haven't seen enough of him as some here...

He's huge, not overly slow, and plays a reliable, rugged game. His upside seems to be a #3-4 guy and that, to me, beats anything on the board now.
The only thing that worries me about Taylor is his decision-making and ability to react to the speed of professional hockey. These things don't always come throughg on TV, but I noticed it quite a bit when I got to see him live in Bridgeport earlier this year. He not only seemed jittery with the puck (understandable), but he had alot of trouble keeping up with the pro game and had alot of trouble containing players one on one.

This explains why I haven't voted for him until now. That said, he is a project, but has tremendous potential to be a big, nasty, crease-clearing defenseman and probably has the highest upside among remaining prospects.

My vote goes to Taylor.

Add Kozak and Furrer.

Old
05-30-2005, 06:31 PM
Fletch

Same here, BigE...

I liked him a while back. I here sjb's concerns, but as far as I can see, McGill preferred him over Liffiton, who was ranked a heck of a lot higher and is only a year younger, while both had a rookie pro season. To me, he carried Liffiton, at least in the games I saw. He had a couple troubling points (like letting a guy beat him while being a bit lackadaisacal, which is troubling), but he was solid, all with a broken jaw. He's not going to be an elite defenseman, but I think he has a decent chance to at least be in the NHL.

Old
05-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
To me, he carried Liffiton, at least in the games I saw.
I am not in a position to disagree with McGill, but everything I saw out of both Taylor and Liffiton would lead me to rank Liffiton quite a bit ahead of Taylor. Both have similar upside (Taylor's potential is perhaps augmented by his size), but the deciding factor is that Liffiton has already come a long way in developing his pro game. He plays with confidence, has good decision-making with the puck, and is very good in one-on-one situations. Taylor is enticing because of his size, but he is a very lanky player right now and you can clearly see that he doesn't have the strength right now to contain big forwards. What stuck me most about Taylor is that he just looks awkward when he tries to take his man into the boards. He doesn't look comfortable in his own zone and he is always about 1-2 seconds behind the play as it develops. These are things that will come with maturity and experience, but like I said, Jake is a bit of a project at this point which is why I'm reluctant to rank him any higher.

Old
05-30-2005, 11:21 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
I understand why sjb likes Liffiton. He is a better skater and has an edge to him. However, I think Taylor has more upside from a physical standpoint. His biggest issue is footspeed. If he improves it, he could be a fan fave.

Old
05-31-2005, 06:29 AM
Ola

What I like the most about Taylor is that he is able to get the job done. The AHL is a pretty good league and Taylor still got by without that much of a problem. The problems he had was more IMO due to the obvious flaws in his game. If a player can get by with such a obvious flaws there are allot of development left in him. I also like his stride, he covers allot of ice. Compare him with Grenier for example who moves like a panzer wagoon on the ice. Taylors speed is very deceptive. Jake is a player that you stick with someone like McGill for 2-3 years and you never know what the results are gooing to be. He could turn out as a Tom Poti without hands or a rock solid top 4 defensemen.

Old
05-31-2005, 06:43 AM
BLACKBURN

I like Liffiton more then Taylor, similar upsde (5th defenceman if your lucky) however Liffiton can fight. Until Taylor learns how to fight at the pro level i would take Liffiton, althought tahts all taht seperates them in my mind. Taylor would benefit froma couple more seasons in the AHL.

Old
05-31-2005, 09:31 AM
Fletch

I hear you sjb...

but feel the opposite. Like I said, I though Taylor made decent strides despite a broken jaw that could've slowed than many physical players. Further, I'm basing a bit of my opinion on what I believe McGill thought, since he's better at this than me. I believe Liffiton was sent down and Taylor kept up because Taylor was the more advanced. I agreed with that assessment from the 3 or 4 games I saw them play together. Both are raw, but I believed Taylor's a bit ahead, and rightfully so since he is a year older (although in terms of development, I think they're similar in age since Taylor only had one college season before turning pro and they turned pro the same time). I hope the both work out and will look to this season as being a big one for Liffiton, who is the more mobile of the two.

Closed Thread