HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nonis interested in Weiss

Old
06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
mix1home

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Give me Weiss over Bozak every day. Really hope we get this guy!

Come on Nonis! Get it done!
Agreed. To people comparing Weiss to Connolly, you guys perhaps did not see Weiss play. I would say his closest comparison is Krejci. The same ability to control the play and find that right move at the right time. We will be so much better team with him!

If we get Weiss somehow, our C position will get huge bust.
Weiss
Kadri
Bozak
McClement.

With our huge advantage on wings against most teams in NHL we will be competing in PO for years to come.

mix1home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Stastny isn't the same Stastny of 2008, just like Liles wasn't the Liles of a few seasons back. I don't think an impending UFA with the mediocre years he's had has much value. Plus Colorado has youth and options in their rebuild.
Just like Kaberle isn't the same Kaberle when we moved him but that return was quite substantial. I certainly wouldn't want to give up a similar package to Colorado for Stastny to what we got in return for Kabs.

Smif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
This group made the playoffs in a 48 games season, and we don't know what the results of a 82 games season would be until its actually tested.

However with the GM exploring Weiss and other options it doesn't appear doing nothing is Plan A or the preferred choice in order to get better.
They played as many games as every other team in the league and were a top ten team. They were fairly consistent throughout the season as well. Now I know, once upon a time they were firmly in a playoff spot and fell apart. I know that every season plus out the exact same way every time, but nothing points to a collapse this season.

Bozak played the way Bozak always does. McClement looked like McClement. Grabo actually looked terrible. The only real improvement t at Center was Kadri, who looked the way many of us expected he eventually would.

Regarding Weiss, first if there is anything we should all know by now it's that you should take everything you hear in the media with a grain of salt. If they were right even half the time, we would be an all star team right now because everyone is coming here.

Even if true, what makes you so sure Weiss isn't plan B?

I expected more from you Mess...

The Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

Stastny is a UFA next year, if the Avs draft Mackinnon the probability of Stastny going to another team is super-duper high.

It wouldn't take more than a 4th to get his rights, patience is key!!

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Drew75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apologist View Post
No, if we go into the season with Weiss, Kadri, Colborne, McClement as our centers, I would fully expect this team to drop significantly.

Good goaltending or not, if your forwards can't play, you're done.
Haha ... so if we upgrade our #1 Centre (as Weiss is > Bozak) we will "drop significantly"?

Drew75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycarter View Post
can bozak play third line C?

2.3 max on bozak tho. then finally get rid of garbageo.
2.3 on bozak is actually a joke. Its going to be 4 +, probably 4.5 here for 2 years. But 2.3 is LOL.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Apologist View Post
They played as many games as every other team in the league and were a top ten team. They were fairly consistent throughout the season as well. Now I know, once upon a time they were firmly in a playoff spot and fell apart. I know that every season plus out the exact same way every time, but nothing points to a collapse this season.

Bozak played the way Bozak always does. McClement looked like McClement. Grabo actually looked terrible. The only real improvement t at Center was Kadri, who looked the way many of us expected he eventually would.

Regarding Weiss, first if there is anything we should all know by now it's that you should take everything you hear in the media with a grain of salt. If they were right even half the time, we would be an all star team right now because everyone is coming here.

Even if true, what makes you so sure Weiss isn't plan B?

I expected more from you Mess...
48 games does not equal 82 games so no matter how you slice it things are not guaranteed to be similar. If you're hanging your hat that a 1/2 season = full season results therefore no changes or improvements are required to produce similar results again then you may be in for a surprise.

Its well documented that Leafs have been searching for a top line center since Mats left, so I'm not sure what your bone of contention over trying to disprove the existence of an upgrade being investigated if the opportunity presents itself.

It doesn't have to be Weiss he is only one option being explored by Nonis as being currently reported, and I'm sure there are others as well ongoing.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:28 PM
HarrisonFord
Mindawakebodyasleep

I really think that Bozak is an integral piece in keeping Kessel in Toronto.
To me, the whole Weiss thing seems like a bit of leverage by management to let Bozak know that the Leafs DO have other options available to them.

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:34 PM
FifthLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
To me, the whole Weiss thing seems like a bit of leverage by management to let Bozak know that the Leafs DO have other options available to them.
Relax.. Bozak and Kessel are very good friends, but they're not married or anything

FifthLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Duffman955

Weiss, Bozak, Grabo... **** these guys and get a real #2C that can compete with the Bergerons and Richards of the league.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Diatomic
Mitch Matthewlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
Weiss, Bozak, Grabo... **** these guys and get a real #2C that can compete with the Bergerons and Richards of the league.
Okay, let me just call Nonis and tell him that those tools won't do.

I agree they're not that great centers but thats the best we can do

Couturier is an opinion however, but I dont wana give away Gards.

Diatomic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:12 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsWantStanley View Post
Okay, let me just call Nonis and tell him that those tools won't do.

I agree they're not that great centers but thats the best we can do

Couturier is an opinion however, but I dont wana give away Gards.
With the salary cap coming down, a lot of teams will be in desperation mode to unload salary and of course a lot of players will be bought out.

With our cap space and endlessly deep pockets, I am sure Nonis can take advantage of the situation.

Duffman955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
In burke I trust*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
Relax.. Bozak and Kessel are very good friends, but they're not married or anything
Pretty close... Bozak lived with Kessel at one point this season

In burke I trust* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:22 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDomalds View Post
Well, if playing with Kessel is that important to him then he'll take a discount and stay in Toronto.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDomalds View Post
They did at least up until the end of the playoffs, and will if Bozak resigns.

Trust me.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
Deebo

Remember when Justin Schultz was picking his team, did he come here because his "best friend" was here?

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:54 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
Key words: Sharp, Hossa
Handzus is very steady defensively. He's a pretty important character on the shut down unit and really does a good job freeing Toews as well.

The_Chosen_One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

I think we should make some calls to gillis to see if hes going to go through with any of his "changes" non bobby lu related. It would be interesting if we could pry anything good out of there for a reasonable price.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:04 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Alternatively, we could give uncle cliff the reins for a day at least we would see some action lol.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:10 PM
SarcazemKadri

Lol at the Kessel and Bozak relationship. Yes they are friends, maybe even best friends but they're big boys who surely know how the NHL as a business works. If Bozak would like to continue living with Kessel and reaping the rewards of playing with one of the leagues best - he will have to take a discount. If not, goodbye Bozie.

SarcazemKadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Stastny isn't the same Stastny of 2008, just like Liles wasn't the Liles of a few seasons back. I don't think an impending UFA with the mediocre years he's had has much value. Plus Colorado has youth and options in their rebuild.
Well I agree his trade value is low, he was solid only 2 years ago, not just way back in 08. Second, he's only 27, not 32 like Liles. Trading for him would have much more potential for reward then risk.

Durrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

K boys I think after that mark streit gem, this fa period is going to be expensive

Old
06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
dmanfish90
How about 76 for 25?

Send a message via Skype™ to dmanfish90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Uh, I guess it'd be an alright acquisition.

Don't think he's significantly better than Bozak, either.
Think about who Weiss has played with and who Bozak has played with. Plus, add in the fact that Weiss has had multiple 60 point seasons and Bozak has never reached 50 points would say it all.

Weiss is significantly better IMO.

dmanfish90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
48 games does not equal 82 games so no matter how you slice it things are not guaranteed to be similar. If you're hanging your hat that a 1/2 season = full season results therefore no changes or improvements are required to produce similar results again then you may be in for a surprise.

Its well documented that Leafs have been searching for a top line center since Mats left, so I'm not sure what your bone of contention over trying to disprove the existence of an upgrade being investigated if the opportunity presents itself.

It doesn't have to be Weiss he is only one option being explored by Nonis as being currently reported, and I'm sure there are others as well ongoing.
Even if it had been 82 games it's not guaranteed to be similar. That's the beauty of life. Still not sure what your point regarding the 48 games is.

All I'm saying is that the guys we have DID get us to the playoffs, and one of them had a TERRIBLE season. Slice it any way YOU like, we've only run with these four centers for one season and were 9th best in the NHL.

Whether Weiss is being explored or not is irrelevant to the above facts.

That being said, again what proof do you have that resigning Bozak isn't option A?

Old
06-18-2013, 03:17 PM
The Apologist
Where's JVR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
He is an integral piece to the Leafs period.