Notices

Top pick

Old
06-16-2013, 12:27 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 500
Top pick

With some top picks that might be available(Carolina, Nashville) should the Jets be willing to pay the price it would take to move up.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 1050
It all depends what that price will be.

Giving up too much does not put one ahead. There is almost no sure fire pick (save the gernerational players), and there have been a number of top pick busts over the years, though I think that those days are probably passed with the advent of the internet.

The long and short of it is this; We can afford to move some players, though if a team wants some of our prospects it gets a little hairy as we are trying to keep those in the back pocket.
I will be surprised if we can grab one of those picks, and I am sure that Chevy will be shopping an offer around.
Remember the best deals are the ones where both sides think they are getting remunerated fairly.
We might actually fair better with a team that is looking to unload a player that has perhaps had a bad year or wants to be moved that has a contract that would clear up a little wiggle room for those teams flirting with the cap.
The bonus is we get a proven asset vs. a potential asset.

But I do think this is going to be a strange year with the draft and UFA's with the cap coming down.

Snot Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 06:48 AM
Sweech
Kane & The Dane

vCash: 5239
I honestly think this draft is so deep it will show to be fairly negligible in 5 years. Unless you're trading into the top 4 (Nashville possibly, if Nichushkin goes higher than I think than Carolina as well), there's no point. The second drop off isn't the same as the first and I think most prospects taken after the first four will begin to even out in 5 years anyway.

As for the first four I think those teams are well aware of their abilities. Nashville and Carolina aren't dumb and both are quite decent at drafting. If we want that pick the price will likely be huge and not worth it in the long run.

Think about it, all those teams picking in the top 5 could all use a star level prospect just like us. That's why they were in the bottom five last year. What's really their motivation to trade down to 13 unless we literally sold the entire house for them?

There's no possible fair trade we could make to get those picks. None. Any of the teams from say 6 to 12 could easily match our offer (if it was fair) and Nashville or Carolina would end up with a better pick than #13. Like I said we'd have to insanely overpay. In a deep draft with prospects that still have 1st line/1st d-man potential still available at 13 there's not much reason to trade up. It's better to trade up in a really shallow year.

Last edited by Sweech: 06-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 07:16 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Good post Sweech - agree. I think we'll end up with a very nice pick at 13, and if there's a player that the Jets covet that might go between 8-12, that would probably be a more reasonable position to trade up into.

Or not: RR, Zadorov, Domi, Horvat, Erne, etc: one of them will be available when the Jets pick, and they all project fairly nicely.

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Howard Chuck
HFBoards Sponsor

Drafting this year is like choosing a line to wait in at the supermarket. You do the best you can to look at what people have in their carts, how long the line is, even some intangibles like what type of person you 'think' is in each line......

In the end, you really don't know and choosing the 'best' path could put you in dead last.

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:53 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post
Drafting this year is like choosing a line to wait in at the supermarket. You do the best you can to look at what people have in their carts, how long the line is, even some intangibles like what type of person you 'think' is in each line......

In the end, you really don't know and choosing the 'best' path could put you in dead last.
Someone shops at superstore...

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:01 AM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

It isn't worth mortgaging our future for one player. What it would cost to move up would be more than that one pick even if it was Nushkanin.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Chuck View Post

Don't forget the cashier variable.. I seem to always get in the wrong queue..

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 11:36 AM
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
Don't forget the cashier variable.. I seem to always get in the wrong queue..
Is Claude Noel the Cashier in this case?

And if he gets fired is that equivalent to cashiers switching shifts while you wait in their line?

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 122
Honestly, after Scheifele and especially Trouba (whos, right now, turning out to be the steal of the top 10-15), I trust TNSE fully to make the right choice at #13. I'm not worrying or thinking about the draft this year too much actually. I'm maybe even more interested in our 2nd round picks. #13 will turn out fine.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
If we have a chance to move up into the top 3 and it doesn't involve Trouba, Bogo, Scheifele or Ladd, we should seriously consider it. One of Mackinnon or Drouin would be available and we could seriously use that kind of elite offensive talent. Yes, it would be hard to give up guys like Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom, but it would almost assuredly be worth it given Drouin and Mackinnons elite talent. At least, to me.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilina View Post
If we have a chance to move up into the top 3 and it doesn't involve Trouba, Bogo, Scheifele or Ladd, we should seriously consider it. One of Mackinnon or Drouin would be available and we could seriously use that kind of elite offensive talent. Yes, it would be hard to give up guys like Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom, but it would almost assuredly be worth it given Drouin and Mackinnons elite talent. At least, to me.
Giving up Wheeler, Little who are proven top NHLers for a chance that Drouin or Mackinnon eventually blossom into top NHLers? No thanks.

That's way to much risk that would be unnecessary to take.

Keep in mind the minors are not the NHL, while the kids play amazing in the young leagues there is never any guarantee that they will all become amazing NHL players.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:53 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 120
Very little chance of us moving up at all. People would not like the price tag it would actually take..

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

vCash: 825
Stick at #13 and don't worry about having to pick any of the #5-12 picks that may or may not pan out.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
Honestly, after Scheifele and especially Trouba (whos, right now, turning out to be the steal of the top 10-15), I trust TNSE fully to make the right choice at #13. I'm not worrying or thinking about the draft this year too much actually. I'm maybe even more interested in our 2nd round picks. #13 will turn out fine.
I don't see the Scheifele pick as proof for or against Chevy at this point.

He has progressed well, but would probably still go lower in a re-draft. That in and of itself doesn't say a ton, but things are still at best a hold with Scheifele IMO.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 03:14 PM
GermanJetsFan
Beaver Jedi

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I don't see the Scheifele pick as proof for or against Chevy at this point.

He has progressed well, but would probably still go lower in a re-draft. That in and of itself doesn't say a ton, but things are still at best a hold with Scheifele IMO.
As we know, Scheifele was at least 50% a former Thrashers scouting team pick. And overall, I'm happy with him right now, even if he didn't make the team, yet. I'm very confident about him and looking forward to his first season as a regular Jet. I think he will not disappoint.

GermanJetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 05:02 PM
ps241
Get on board Sip :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
As we know, Scheifele was at least 50% a former Thrashers scouting team pick. And overall, I'm happy with him right now, even if he didn't make the team, yet. I'm very confident about him and looking forward to his first season as a regular Jet. I think he will not disappoint.
Perhaps even more depending on Chevy's philosophy? I heard Jarmo Kekalainen (Columbus GM) talk about this process today on XM NHL network and he said draft day is the day for the Scouts and the GM's have to let them do their job and trust the guys who got stuck in the snow storms to watch the prospects for the past year or two.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 09:31 PM
BigZ65

I honestly don't think we have the chips to trade into the top 3.

BigZ65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Gm0ney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Perhaps even more depending on Chevy's philosophy? I heard Jarmo Kekalainen (Columbus GM) talk about this process today on XM NHL network and he said draft day is the day for the Scouts and the GM's have to let them do their job and trust the guys who got stuck in the snow storms to watch the prospects for the past year or two.
Sounds like that was certainly the case in 2011:

Top scout will run draft show
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...123983754.html

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote