HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrew Ference - Named Captain of the Oil!

Old
09-30-2013, 07:47 AM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
Fervency and the Oilers are getting more heat than Roddy Piper on the main board. This is a great move by Edmonton and one they needed badly. I'm not one to cheer for guys when they're gone but this feels different.

That glove malfunction won over the hearts of Bruins fans all over.
I like that Ference autocorrects to Fervency.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:14 AM
TCL40

Well if you notice the vast majority of fans criticizing the move on the main board come from the usual suspects-Habs/Canucks/other division rivals.

I have never see so many people hold a grudge over a bit of crude sign language-as a Bruin fan I view that sign language quite differently.

As for the jacket-Ference should go for something vintage from back when the Oilers were creaming the league with Gretzky leasing the charge.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:32 AM
duckchobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
I like that Ference autocorrects to Fervency.
Damn. Didn't even catch that. Made that post while I was on the train this morning, I don't even remember posting. Must have been half asleep.

duckchobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 10:49 AM
Psychoil

hey guys, oilers fan chiming in here, really glad so many of you are endorsing mr.ference as our captain. you don't know how happy i was when we signed him on free agency day, coming from boston, he sounds like the perfect captain for this club. he seems like he brings everything the oilers lack, team building, toughness, standing up for his team and he's actually good hahah

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Scotto74
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
hey guys, oilers fan chiming in here, really glad so many of you are endorsing mr.ference as our captain. you don't know how happy i was when we signed him on free agency day, coming from boston, he sounds like the perfect captain for this club. he seems like he brings everything the oilers lack, team building, toughness, standing up for his team and he's actually good hahah
he will not make the plays during the game that make you go wow or that you remember he will just be solid. the times you go wow is when he sticks up for his team. Doesn't matter how big a guy is if he takes a shot at one of Andy's teammates he will answer without hesitation.

BOSTON STRONG!!!
Scotto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotto74 View Post
he will not make the plays during the game that make you go wow or that you remember he will just be solid. the times you go wow is when he sticks up for his team. Doesn't matter how big a guy is if he takes a shot at one of Andy's teammates he will answer without hesitation.
oh for sure, lol, i dont think u guys realize how big the bruins are up here, as an oilers fan, i've seen ALOT of bruin games, especially after they pounded the canucks.

Even when ference was in calgary, he was a steady presence on the back end, so I know hes not the flashiest.

I will say this, he's more offensive than i thought, hes good with carrying the puck and can make some really good passes. Also, he can close gaps like a beast, hes very very quick when it comes to cutting off angles for opposing wingers..

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:32 AM
Ladyfan
Miss Savvy and Looch

vCash: 140
Quote:
oh for sure, lol, i dont think u guys realize how big the bruins are up here, as an oilers fan, i've seen ALOT of bruin games, especially after they pounded the canucks.

Even when ference was in calgary, he was a steady presence on the back end, so I know hes not the flashiest.

I will say this, he's more offensive than i thought, hes good with carrying the puck and can make some really good passes. Also, he can close gaps like a beast, hes very very quick when it comes to cutting off angles for opposing wingers..
We here in Boston will miss Andy.

I believe many B's fans will be watching your games when possible. I also expect to have the fans at the Boston Garden on their feet Feb 1st for a standing ovation for Andy.

B's fans can be very tough on players so it is nice to see the positive posts for Andy Ference here and on the main board. Play no attention (or have a good laugh) to the Hab and Nuck fans who speak ill of Ference.

09-30-2013, 11:42 AM
Oates2Neely

Awesome choice for Oilers. Ference is a solid dman with tons of heart, a blue collar hockey player. He was a great Bruin, wish him nothing but the best in Edmonton.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 12:30 PM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:

He will occasionally make some boneheaded plays or blow his coverage so just be prepared for that and learn to live with it. He's a good player and the kind of guy you can't help but love having on your favorite team and he is mostly steady and a very underrated skater.

But, just understand the he is a bottom 4 defenseman, not a top 2 defenseman. not trying to knock the guy or criticize the signing. I agree that he's a perfect fit for that team, just hope Oiler fans have realistic expectations.

Seems the Oilers don't really have a true number 1 D-man (or even a number 2 by NHL standards) so it would be easy to fall into the trap of expecting too much from a guy like Ference. With that said, I'm still really sad that he's gone. Part of me wonders if it wouldn't have been smart to trade Seidenberg and keep Ference (only because we may end up losing Seids anyway)

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*

I'm still laughing at the amount of butt hurt about this. I watched the replay of that Halpern hit and it didn't look the slightest bit intentional.

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
TCL40

Quote:
Andy is good when used correctly-he isn't a hitting defenseman but more a positional one.

His upside is far more in how he leads than his actual game (he isn't Chara and will probably fail if they try to make him eat first pair minutes).

He has a great sense of humor and was often the catalyst for the team building things the team has done (he purchased the Starter Jacket that was passed around during the Cup run) and he got a Ranger's jacket from a friend they used last season-he also is a good mentor and knows what team is and how to be there as a teammate.

I admit that Habs fans hate the finger but I still view that finger as the moment when the tide turned in the cup run-sure he broke a rule but he united his team.

My very favorite Andy moment was in a game against Atlanta 2010/2011 season I believe. Somebody made a bit of a dirty hit and Andy was on him so fast-Andy isn't a fighter but he will fight if he sees a team take liberties with his teammates.

I wish him the best and will miss him.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:09 PM
ProdigalFan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
Andy's pass to Krejci allowed Horty to go to the net and win us the ECF in 2011.

ProdigalFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 04:28 PM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

Ference coming up on Esposito show on Sirius.

Prodigal fan, that's exactly the play I thought of when someone said he won't make you say wow.

Last edited by sooshii: 09-30-2013 at 04:34 PM.
sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Shaun
best poster alive

TSN did a feature on him

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/lates...1014317/clip/0

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 11:25 PM
GloveSave1
*** 15 ***

Pretty awesome.

He will set a nice example. Shrewd choice by the Oil.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:19 PM
dtam83

well deserving! still love him to death, always a bruin!

dtam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2013, 05:50 PM
BrainOfJ
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Was a cool honor, until everyone else did too

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:07 PM
nords1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
We here in Boston will miss Andy.

I believe many B's fans will be watching your games when possible. I also expect to have the fans at the Boston Garden on their feet Feb 1st for a standing ovation for Andy.

B's fans can be very tough on players so it is nice to see the positive posts for Andy Ference here and on the main board. Play no attention (or have a good laugh) to the Hab and Nuck fans who speak ill of Ference.
That is true, I'll miss Ference. Played a heck of a playoff ride last year. Tough for his size.

nords1995 is offline   Reply With Quote