HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

How Will Mike Keenan do in the KHL?

Old
06-16-2013, 01:01 PM
JamieG

vCash: 500
How Will Mike Keenan do in the KHL?

I'm sure I will be told if there is, but I didn't see a discussion about Mike Keenan becoming the coach Metallurg and how he will do?

Seriously - not talking about your opinion of him as an analyst on NBC, but do you think he can have success?

I know some of have said "the game has past him by" but believe it or not I recall people saying the same thing about Scotty Bowman before he won (with a stacked team) with the Red Wings.

Has he mellowed enough to be successful? Will players in the KHL respond to him.
I think it's an interesting choice for Keenan. He obviously really wants to get back into coaching and this is kind of a gamble for him.

I'm interested to see how it unfolds.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

vCash: 50
His time in Calgary was far from a success. I don't see him being an effective coach anymore.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 01:22 PM
JamieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
His time in Calgary was far from a success. I don't see him being an effective coach anymore.
Yes, and Reghr hated Keenan and perpetuated the "the game has past him by" stuff.

But in fairness to Calgary, they were a pretty bad team regardless of the coach. Daryl Sutter stepped down because he was losing the team and then Brent Sutter who was touted as the next great hockey coach did worse than Keenan.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 04:13 PM
metmag

I think he will do quite well. He's a good fit for the organization and will make at least the 2nd round in the playoffs.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Atas2000

No offence, but I think he will bust. It is a transition to a different brand of hockey, different culture. Knowing Keenan it's hard to believe he will succeed in those categories. Then he'll be coaching a contending team. I would give Keenan a chance with an outsider team. In Magnitogorsk they will expect wins, a lot of wins and that right away. Also the cast of players he'll have there doesn't suggest he'd have an easy walk. He'll have to deal with some egos there.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:55 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Maybe he will write a book, like Dave King

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 05:11 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I don't know if the question is so much 'is Keenan ready for the KHl' but rather is his team ready for him...I get the impression that there isn't a lot of respect for coaches in the league, especially seeing things like that clip of Radulov hitting his coach in the face with his stick on the bench and the coach doing nothing about it. I doubt that happens to Iron Mike.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote