HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

How Will Mike Keenan do in the KHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-16-2013, 02:01 PM
  #1
JamieG
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
How Will Mike Keenan do in the KHL?

I'm sure I will be told if there is, but I didn't see a discussion about Mike Keenan becoming the coach Metallurg and how he will do?

Seriously - not talking about your opinion of him as an analyst on NBC, but do you think he can have success?

I know some of have said "the game has past him by" but believe it or not I recall people saying the same thing about Scotty Bowman before he won (with a stacked team) with the Red Wings.

Has he mellowed enough to be successful? Will players in the KHL respond to him.
I think it's an interesting choice for Keenan. He obviously really wants to get back into coaching and this is kind of a gamble for him.

I'm interested to see how it unfolds.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:14 PM
  #2
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,130
vCash: 50
His time in Calgary was far from a success. I don't see him being an effective coach anymore.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 02:22 PM
  #3
JamieG
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 876
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
His time in Calgary was far from a success. I don't see him being an effective coach anymore.
Yes, and Reghr hated Keenan and perpetuated the "the game has past him by" stuff.

But in fairness to Calgary, they were a pretty bad team regardless of the coach. Daryl Sutter stepped down because he was losing the team and then Brent Sutter who was touted as the next great hockey coach did worse than Keenan.

JamieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 05:13 PM
  #4
metmag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 171
vCash: 500
I think he will do quite well. He's a good fit for the organization and will make at least the 2nd round in the playoffs.

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 03:27 AM
  #5
Atas2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,099
vCash: 500
No offence, but I think he will bust. It is a transition to a different brand of hockey, different culture. Knowing Keenan it's hard to believe he will succeed in those categories. Then he'll be coaching a contending team. I would give Keenan a chance with an outsider team. In Magnitogorsk they will expect wins, a lot of wins and that right away. Also the cast of players he'll have there doesn't suggest he'd have an easy walk. He'll have to deal with some egos there.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 04:55 AM
  #6
ficohok*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 500
Maybe he will write a book, like Dave King

ficohok* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2013, 06:11 PM
  #7
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,993
vCash: 500
I don't know if the question is so much 'is Keenan ready for the KHl' but rather is his team ready for him...I get the impression that there isn't a lot of respect for coaches in the league, especially seeing things like that clip of Radulov hitting his coach in the face with his stick on the bench and the coach doing nothing about it. I doubt that happens to Iron Mike.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2015, 05:54 PM
  #8
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 3,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
No offence, but I think he will bust. It is a transition to a different brand of hockey, different culture. Knowing Keenan it's hard to believe he will succeed in those categories. Then he'll be coaching a contending team. I would give Keenan a chance with an outsider team. In Magnitogorsk they will expect wins, a lot of wins and that right away. Also the cast of players he'll have there doesn't suggest he'd have an easy walk. He'll have to deal with some egos there.
3 years later... KHL champion, applying for Russian citizenship. Keenan has proved many wrong

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2015, 06:34 PM
  #9
Metalcommand
Registered User
 
Metalcommand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country:
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
Keenan's old school hard ass style works in Russia really well it fits the hockey culture there.

Metalcommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2015, 01:44 AM
  #10
Salavat Yulaev
Registered User
 
Salavat Yulaev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Almaty
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
3 years later... KHL champion, applying for Russian citizenship. Keenan has proved many wrong
yes, it was interesting to read comments after 3 years

Salavat Yulaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2015, 02:13 AM
  #11
Finnpin
"internet"
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,621
vCash: 500
Magnitka 3.0: The Matrix Reloaded

http://en.khl.ru/news/2015/08/23/235846.html

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2015, 04:49 AM
  #12
Salavat Yulaev
Registered User
 
Salavat Yulaev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Almaty
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
Magnitka 3.0: The Matrix Reloaded

http://en.khl.ru/news/2015/08/23/235846.html
Thank you! Very intersting interview.

Salavat Yulaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2015, 01:29 PM
  #13
loppa*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: No' 'Murica!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,711
vCash: 500
In Rassia, video film you... http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/k...otional-video/

loppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2015, 10:51 PM
  #14
ImGoingNucks
The flying Orca
 
ImGoingNucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mos Eisley
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,430
vCash: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I don't know if the question is so much 'is Keenan ready for the KHl' but rather is his team ready for him...I get the impression that there isn't a lot of respect for coaches in the league, especially seeing things like that clip of Radulov hitting his coach in the face with his stick on the bench and the coach doing nothing about it. I doubt that happens to Iron Mike.
it was the goaltending coach, poor guy...

I remember when I saw it first, I thought to myself I hope that clown never returns to the NHL.


Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 08-26-2015 at 12:04 AM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2016, 08:12 AM
  #15
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 25,217
vCash: 500
I read an article and they seem to really love him over there.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.