HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Bossy ever wear the "C"?

Old
06-16-2013, 03:00 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Did Bossy ever wear the "C"?

So NHL.com is doing an all time draft special and the Boss man was voted the best pick at the #15 position.

Anyway I saw a picture of Bossy on the Isles website and he was wearing a "C" on his jersey.

I looked up a list of the Isles alltime captains and he was not on it..

Unfortunatley I wasn't here during the glory years so if any of my older Isles brothers can fill me in I would appreciate it. Thanks

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
So NHL.com is doing an all time draft special and the Boss man was voted the best pick at the #15 position.

Anyway I saw a picture of Bossy on the Isles website and he was wearing a "C" on his jersey.

Unfortunatley I wasn't here during the glory years so if any of my older Isles brothers can fill me in I would appreciate it. Thanks
The list of captains is correct.
I still get on Rag$ fans for passing on Bossy twice in the draft, taking both Ron Duguay and Lucien DeBlois ahead of the Islanders.

Degeneration Rex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 03:38 PM
mack809f

I remember

Gillies and Potvin as captains during the glory years. If one of them sat out Trotts and Bossy would wear the C.

mack809f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2013, 06:57 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack809f View Post
Gillies and Potvin as captains during the glory years. If one of them sat out Trotts and Bossy would wear the C.
This. Potvin became the captain in 79/80-Gillies was captain before that.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:17 AM
steveat

If memory serves me correct, I believe that Bossy retired before Potvin so as far as captaincy, no, Bossy was never an official captain. if you saw him with a C on, it must have been something temporary.

He would have gotten the C for sure if he didn't have knee and back problems...If he was healthy...I don't doubt he would have played as long or longer than Gretzky.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:52 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
If memory serves me correct, I believe that Bossy retired before Potvin so as far as captaincy, no, Bossy was never an official captain. if you saw him with a C on, it must have been something temporary.

He would have gotten the C for sure if he didn't have knee and back problems...If he was healthy...I don't doubt he would have played as long or longer than Gretzky.
In the 1980s, teams did not have alternate captains. That was brought back to the NHL in the late 1990s, IIRC. If a team's captain did not dress, that team had others designated to wear the C.

I never thought Bossy was captain material. He never struck me as a leader (granted I had no knowledge of what was going on inside the dressing room). I always considered Bryan Trottier to be an unofficial captain of those teams.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
The list of captains is correct.
I still get on Rag$ fans for passing on Bossy twice in the draft, taking both Ron Duguay and Lucien DeBlois ahead of the Islanders.
A lot of teams missed the boat. Thankfully we didn't take Dwight Foster.

Last edited by MJF: 06-17-2013 at 09:02 AM.
MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2013, 01:16 PM
Nelly

Potvin was injured for a significant amount of time, and Arbour asked Bossy to be Captain.

He was captain for 8 to 13 games (I can't remember the specific # of games, but it was a small amount).

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

He never wore it.

Islesfans1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post

The younger generation who never saw Bossy play only know him from the highlight reels of him scoring goal after goal after goal. As someone who watched him from nearly the beginning I can tell you he took more abuse than any other player on the team. They would chop him, slash him, board him, late hit him, even goad him into dropping his gloves because he was so outspoken about how fighting should be outlawed in hockey. But he absorbed it all and just kept producing, it was remarkable, people don't realize that although Boss was a smallish player, he did have a big frame, he just had no fat on him. Boss made his name in arguably one of the toughest eras of hockey, lots and lots of fighting, stick work and clutch and grab hockey and yet he managed to almost score 600 goals in 10 years.

He was the best.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Nelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfans1978 View Post
He never wore it.
http://www.classicauctions.net/Defau...d=64&lotid=535

Quote:
Addendum; We have received new information that confirm that this Mike Bossy jersey would have been worn for 3 or 4 games during mid to late March of 1987, Mike Bossy served as a replacement captain to Denis Potvin who got hurt in the February 22nd 1987 game. There is much evidence to confirm the fact that the star players on the 1986-87 Islanders wore 2 to 3 different sets of jerseys during the season not including the playoffs and the offered jersey with this type of numbers on the sleeves and the Captain C, would have been worn around mid to late March of 1987.

Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Islesfans1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
He wore it for the equivalent of 30 seconds.