Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindy Ruff named new Head Coach

Old
06-23-2013, 10:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Lecavalier is my favorite choice - he's also the least likely to be available.

If he does get bought out, I'd imagine he and Richards would be a package deal, assuming they're still great friends. Doubt they'd pass on an opportunity to get reunited - I'd be okay with that being here.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Lecavalier is my favorite choice - he's also the least likely to be available.

If he does get bought out, I'd imagine he and Richards would be a package deal, assuming they're still great friends. Doubt they'd pass on an opportunity to get reunited - I'd be okay with that being here.
If they weren't asking for the moon that could be feasible here.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
If they weren't asking for the moon that could be feasible here.
5.5M per for 4 years for Vinny, 4.5M per for 2-3 years for Richards. 10M between the two, and those contracts are pretty feasible IMO.

Old
06-24-2013, 12:31 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
5.5M per for 4 years for Vinny, 4.5M per for 2-3 years for Richards. 10M between the two, and those contracts are pretty feasible IMO.
Not many teams need both and can fit both under the lower cap. Plus both are the wrong side of 30 and have just been bought out because they weren't worth their contracts.

Mr Misty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
I've said in the past that I'd rather move on from Richards but if this were the case I would be happy with that. Vinny would bring the size and Richards would be a good 2nd line center . We could also get rid of Goligoski and not worry about bringing in a replacement for the PP.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:20 AM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Where has it been confirmed that Vinny is being bought out? I'd imagine they'd give him another year before doing it. It's not like a Richards situation where the guy is totally useless now.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:24 AM
Brand New Stars

Nowhere. People here just have video game GM mode going on.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
**** man don't ruin my high. I'm bored over here.

Old
06-24-2013, 07:13 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Where has it been confirmed that Vinny is being bought out? I'd imagine they'd give him another year before doing it. It's not like a Richards situation where the guy is totally useless now.
The Fourth Period is the only person I've seen touting it, but all you have to do is look at their cap situation, the threat of the recapture rule, and the fact they're probably about to add another potential elite forward at the #3 spot that despite yes this is all just speculation it's more than reasonable to assume that Lecavalier is bought out this summer or next.

The Bolts only have 18 players signed, and only have $2.4 million in cap space. The player selected at #3 very likely will be in the NHL next season, and more often than not that cap hit will be around $3.25 million.

Galchenyuk = $3.25 million
Huberdeau = $3.225 million
Gudbranson = $3.2 million
Duchene = $3.2 million
Bogosian = $3.375 million

Now ... Ohlund's career is probably over, but he's unlikely to retire. They'll carry his big cap hit, but he like Pronger for Phili would just go on LTIR allowing him to not be a burden on the cap. Therefore, you could actually say the Bolts have 17 players signed and about $6 million in cap space. Again though, that number is reduced to 18 players and $2.75 million when you consider the #3 pick. However, they'd also have the benefit of the bonus overage. The only significant player with bonus' would be the the #3 pick, but I don't think it'd be very smart to risk cap penalties on using the bonus overage. Most of the time I'd say that huge B bonus is impossible to earn ($2 million). Unfortunately, or fortunately considering you getting a potential franchise player, the #3 in this draft is much more likely than your average draft pick to earn that bonus. Very, very risky to roll the dice here, and I don't think they should.

Malone might also be a buyout candidate for TB, but you've got to think that Lecavalier's $7.7 cap hit and the danger of the recapture formula make him priority #1.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 09:59 AM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
The Fourth Period is the only person I've seen touting it, but all you have to do is look at their cap situation, the threat of the recapture rule, and the fact they're probably about to add another potential elite forward at the #3 spot that despite yes this is all just speculation it's more than reasonable to assume that Lecavalier is bought out this summer or next.

The Bolts only have 18 players signed, and only have $2.4 million in cap space. The player selected at #3 very likely will be in the NHL next season, and more often than not that cap hit will be around $3.25 million.

Galchenyuk = $3.25 million
Huberdeau = $3.225 million
Gudbranson = $3.2 million
Duchene = $3.2 million
Bogosian = $3.375 million

Now ... Ohlund's career is probably over, but he's unlikely to retire. They'll carry his big cap hit, but he like Pronger for Phili would just go on LTIR allowing him to not be a burden on the cap. Therefore, you could actually say the Bolts have 17 players signed and about $6 million in cap space. Again though, that number is reduced to 18 players and $2.75 million when you consider the #3 pick. However, they'd also have the benefit of the bonus overage. The only significant player with bonus' would be the the #3 pick, but I don't think it'd be very smart to risk cap penalties on using the bonus overage. Most of the time I'd say that huge B bonus is impossible to earn ($2 million). Unfortunately, or fortunately considering you getting a potential franchise player, the #3 in this draft is much more likely than your average draft pick to earn that bonus. Very, very risky to roll the dice here, and I don't think they should.

Malone might also be a buyout candidate for TB, but you've got to think that Lecavalier's $7.7 cap hit and the danger of the recapture formula make him priority #1.
The only way Vinny is bought out is if the Bolts draft a center this year. And Viny still won't be bought out until next season. The Bolts have no need to rush a center prospect into the team, especially with Stamkos-Vinny-TJ down the middle.

Malone is the first buyout candidate, not Vinny. They actually have 20 players signed through next season since you forgot about Palat, Panik and TJ who will all be back up with the Bolts next season. That brings their team cap to approx. 62.3 mil even before a Malone buyout (Ohlund will be on LTIR).

Double 0 Loui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:40 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double 0 Loui View Post
The only way Vinny is bought out is if the Bolts draft a center this year. And Viny still won't be bought out until next season. The Bolts have no need to rush a center prospect into the team, especially with Stamkos-Vinny-TJ down the middle.

Malone is the first buyout candidate, not Vinny. They actually have 20 players signed through next season since you forgot about Palat, Panik and TJ who will all be back up with the Bolts next season. That brings their team cap to approx. 62.3 mil even before a Malone buyout (Ohlund will be on LTIR).
You're ignoring the recapture formula which IMO is unwise and would be a terrible mistake by the Lightning. Whether or not they draft a center or if said center is NHL ready, the Lighting will have made a huge mistake by not taking advantage of this one time bail out.

This discussion isn't only about a single season and working their way under the cap. They could definitely wait until next season to buy him out, but then you have to weigh the risk of injury over the season could potentially prevent them from taking advantage of the buyout.

Plus ... you must be cap compliant before you can use LTIR. I know it's been a while for Dallas fans, but think back to Zubov's last year with the team. Zubie and Lethinen both started the season recovering from significant injuries. Neal made the team that year because of a stellar off-season, and Fistric made the opening roster because of the injuries. However, technically on Day 1, neither player was on Dallas' roster. The Stars made the strange move of assigning them to the CHL team in OKC for one day. That allowed the Stars to get the appropriate guys on LTIR, and bring those two back to the NHL.

If TB drafts Drouin or Jones ... they can't assign them anywhere other than back to junior to get cap compliant, and then you can't call them back. If they get the Russian, there wouldn't be an issue. That said, what about 3 or 4 years down the line if Lecavalier is ready to retire. Everyone's current solution to get around the recalculation loophole is put these guys on LTIR. Unless TB never plans on being a cap team, I find it hard to believe they can't get cap compliant with an anchor of $7.7 million before placing him on LTIR.

I'm not claiming it's impossible, but it just seems like their are far too many negatives and risks for TB to retain Lecavalier beyond next season. Even if they trade him, they risk suffering from the recapture rule.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Dunno why it matters, they shouldn't even be considering it until next season. All the young, cheap forwards they have will keep them under the cap this year, so they don't have to worry about the recapture rule until next offseason.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:43 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

They might consider it in case he gets injured late in the season and they can't buy him out. NYR are considering the same risk with Richards.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:46 PM
BigG44

Quote:
They might consider it in case he gets injured late in the season and they can't buy him out. NYR are considering the same risk with Richards.
That's the only reason I would expect it could happen this summer.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Quote:
You're ignoring the recapture formula which IMO is unwise and would be a terrible mistake by the Lightning. Whether or not they draft a center or if said center is NHL ready, the Lighting will have made a huge mistake by not taking advantage of this one time bail out.

This discussion isn't only about a single season and working their way under the cap. They could definitely wait until next season to buy him out, but then you have to weigh the risk of injury over the season could potentially prevent them from taking advantage of the buyout.

Plus ... you must be cap compliant before you can use LTIR. I know it's been a while for Dallas fans, but think back to Zubov's last year with the team. Zubie and Lethinen both started the season recovering from significant injuries. Neal made the team that year because of a stellar off-season, and Fistric made the opening roster because of the injuries. However, technically on Day 1, neither player was on Dallas' roster. The Stars made the strange move of assigning them to the CHL team in OKC for one day. That allowed the Stars to get the appropriate guys on LTIR, and bring those two back to the NHL.

If TB drafts Drouin or Jones ... they can't assign them anywhere other than back to junior to get cap compliant, and then you can't call them back. If they get the Russian, there wouldn't be an issue. That said, what about 3 or 4 years down the line if Lecavalier is ready to retire. Everyone's current solution to get around the recalculation loophole is put these guys on LTIR. Unless TB never plans on being a cap team, I find it hard to believe they can't get cap compliant with an anchor of $7.7 million before placing him on LTIR.

I'm not claiming it's impossible, but it just seems like their are far too many negatives and risks for TB to retain Lecavalier beyond next season. Even if they trade him, they risk suffering from the recapture rule.
Then you also must consider what Lecavalier means to their franchise and how his long-term commitment to the club is integral in maintaining the culture and identity of the team.

Just because Lecavalier's contract runs for longer and comes at a higher hit than Malone's, does not make him their #1 priority for a buy-out. It is simply your imagination and conjecture, along with projecting your own wants above that organization's. Malone is less productive, has been a failed signing and is more injury-prone and will thus be the first casualty of the compliance buy-out for Tampa.

Unlike Richards, Lecavalier hasn't been a flop since signing his contract - injuries have somewhat limited his production but he's still a huge piece to their team. As I pointed out before, you can guarantee Tampa will take the risk of at least keeping Vinny for one more year before deciding on whether or not to use a compliance buy-out on him, especially with all the cheap forward contracts they'll be inheriting from Syracuse and the need to try and make an immediate playoff run.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:09 PM
Double 0 Loui
Rookie User

Also, fwiw, there's 0 talk among the Tampa fans of a Vinny buy-out too. It's not even a consideration for them at this point, there are other ways to get under the cap before resorting to what is seen as the worst case scenario.

Old
06-24-2013, 05:39 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double 0 Loui View Post
Then you also must consider what Lecavalier means to their franchise and how his long-term commitment to the club is integral in maintaining the culture and identity of the team.

Just because Lecavalier's contract runs for longer and comes at a higher hit than Malone's, does not make him their #1 priority for a buy-out. It is simply your imagination and conjecture, along with projecting your own wants above that organization's. Malone is less productive, has been a failed signing and is more injury-prone and will thus be the first casualty of the compliance buy-out for Tampa.

Unlike Richards, Lecavalier hasn't been a flop since signing his contract - injuries have somewhat limited his production but he's still a huge piece to their team. As I pointed out before, you can guarantee Tampa will take the risk of at least keeping Vinny for one more year before deciding on whether or not to use a compliance buy-out on him, especially with all the cheap forward contracts they'll be inheriting from Syracuse and the need to try and make an immediate playoff run.
Unless you're repeating something I said verbatim, don't just make an assumption you know where I'm coming from. There's no need for the obnoxious accusations especially considering you're misrepresenting what I've said on multiple points.

You're crazy if you think I'm saying he's a potential buyout option because I want him in Dallas. Yeah he'd be nice, but I fully expect him to land in Montreal if he gets bought out. The only way I've approached this discussion is offering points about why he's a potential buyout option despite his value to the Lightning.

The fact remains, buying out Lecavalier makes good business sense. If the Lighting don't do it, they're taking a significant risk that could easily cripple the franchise. If Yzerman thinks they can mitigate those risks, that's great, but you're saying nothing that would invalidate my points. Until Yzerman says Lecavalier is remaining a Bolt the remainder of this contract, it's perfectly reasonable to suspect the guy could be a buyout casualty based on the rule changes of the CBA.

Malone has literally no impact on their future as a franchise ... buy him out ... don't buy him out .... it doesn't matter. Again, you're incorrectly assuming I'm talking about a single year issue when I've clearly stated the long term ramifications of Lecavalier's contract. I clearly never said they'd buy him out this summer for sure, and that the only reason I thought they might is avoiding the risk of him being injured and preventing him from being bought out next summer. You said yourself he's suffered through some nicks and dings, and he isn't getting any younger. If he's hurt during the limited buyout period next summer, they can't buy him out and they open themselves up to the potentially damaging new rules of the CBA.

Now ... if you want to keep debating his value to the Bolts ... you can just stop because I agree. In a bubble where the business of hockey means nothing, he easily retires in TB. Common sense and the CBA dictate Yzerman and his cap guru have some tough, unfortunate decisions to make, and that very well could mean he's on the open market (likely headed home to Montreal) this summer or next.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:43 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Ruff Audio from Monday night

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 01:55 PM
________

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Dallas Stars @DallasStars 4m
Extend your lunch break by tuning in to 103.3 @ESPNDallas at 1pm to catch Coach Ruff on with @espn_durrett

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
BigG44

I have a very bad feeling about these 105.3 interviews. That is the 3rd in less than 24 hours. Furthermore, this would have been Bob and Dan's first day on that station had their co-workers at the last second not convinced them to stay at the Ticket.

I would not be shocked to see an announcement that the Fan acquired the rights to the Dallas Stars broadcast to become the flagship station, and I will be absolutely disappointed.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:04 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
I have a very bad feeling about these 105.3 interviews. That is the 3rd in less than 24 hours. Furthermore, this would have been Bob and Dan's first day on that station had their co-workers at the last second not convinced them to stay at the Ticket.

I would not be shocked to see an announcement that the Fan acquired the rights to the Dallas Stars broadcast to become the flagship station, and I will be absolutely disappointed.
He's heading to the Ticket now:

Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars 3m

Coach Ruff continues the radio rounds at 2:15 when he joins 1310 @dfwticket .

Old
06-25-2013, 03:06 PM
haf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
It isn't pure video game speculation. There was some local Tampa articles about it. Or more specifically, one that was about it, and a couple of other articles that referenced the first.

So speculative local stuff. One possible scenario.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 03:38 PM
BigG44

Quote:
He's heading to the Ticket now:

Dallas Stars ‏@DallasStars 3m

Coach Ruff continues the radio rounds at 2:15 when he joins 1310 @dfwticket .
I also just realized Chuck Cooperstien actually works for ESPN (not the FAN) which is where he was yesterday.

I wonder what the deal with the media blitz is. You'd think they'd save it for a week or two when they have draft picks and free agents to talk about. I guess we can probably expect another rotation then as well.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
It isn't pure video game speculation. There was some local Tampa articles about it. Or more specifically, one that was about it, and a couple of other articles that referenced the first.

So speculative local stuff. One possible scenario.
It basically is. Thinking we would get both Vinny and Richards is crazy. I'd still put money on Lecavalier going to Montreal if he did get bought out.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2013, 04:03 PM
FrailSwan

Quote:
I also just realized Chuck Cooperstien actually works for ESPN (not the FAN) which is where he was yesterday.

I wonder what the deal with the media blitz is. You'd think they'd save it for a week or two when they have draft picks and free agents to talk about. I guess we can probably expect another rotation then as well.
It's nothing too crazy or anything. New management obviously uses the media blitz waaaaaay more than they used to. The last few days is for Ruff, and I'm sure after the draft they'll do it again.

The more media the better.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote