HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Not this again... Devils in financial trouble?

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

vCash: 500
Its amazing how Kosman can be shot down by so many people, INCLUDING THE PEOPLE HE MENTIONS, and he still has credibility with respect to this club and its finances.

Its probably not as bad as the speculation that seems rampant.

Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
There's more than just the potential buyer denying it..

If Kosman can have unnamed sources, can TG not? Who's would you trust here? I'm going to go ahead and take TG..

In his blog, TG wrote a bunch about this in the comments.. reverse order:

yesterday:
Well, there you go.

-Our finances are healthy
-We didn't take loans
-We didn't miss any payments
-We are in the process of adding a minority owner and have been for quite some time
-Our ability to pay players is not, has not, and will not be hindered by financial factors

Old
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr

meh not worried, we'll have no problem finding a minority owner

Old
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
guitarguyvic

Anyone who doesn't know that the NY Post is a borderline tabloid newspaper that intentionally tries to negatively spin stories on a regular basis, clearly knows nothing about the NY Post.

And is there an NHL franchise more unjustifiably slandered than the NJD? Virtually anyone who doesn't know this franchise seems to have horrific perceptions that are not based on any kind of reality, or they just simply skew certain facts to make them more negative then they really are. From fanbase, to attendance, to finances, to on-ice play (boring trap hockey!), on and on and on. I mean, we have specific members on these boards who work hard just to take jabs at this team at every single opportunity they get (hello JA#11). Total disrespect for an organization that really has only been bested by the Detroit Red Wings over the last 20 years.

Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Carton is a ****in idiot......... Shouldn't he be talking tennis since he really is Andre Agassi?
Hah, good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Well, there you go.

-Our finances are healthy
-We didn't take loans
-We didn't miss any payments
-We are in the process of adding a minority owner and have been for quite some time
-Our ability to pay players is not, has not, and will not be hindered by financial factors
-The Acela Club is a three star Michelin rated restaurant

Old
06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

All I know is, if this affects the on ice product then... well that's a very scary thought. Were already having some difficulties so improvements need to be made by keeping key UFA's and bringing in solid talent to help offset missing the playoffs in 2 out of the last 3 years and if we can't do that because were on a fixed budget then I will be very, very angry.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Brick City
Ignore me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
-The Acela Club is a three star Michelin rated restaurant
I had to Google what a 'Michelin' was besides a French tire company (yes, figured it was a restaurant rating based on the context of the post). Sort of hoping some of the other posters here are just as unfamiliar with it as I am. Let's leave the fancy jokes to the suits that populate MSG (half-kidding but not really).

Old
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Hah, good call.
First time I saw him was on a commercial for the show during a Devils game. I saw Boomer on there, and then him. I immediately thought to myself ''Boomer Esiason on a show with Andre Agassi?'' I really honest thought he was Agassi.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Brian Lawton was on NHLNetwork radio on XM today and said there is nothing to report on any ownership possibilities

Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Devils86

Maybe we can all get Obama phones...sell them...then find a private equity firm that Kosman hates to back us...call ourselves HF Devils Conglomerate and buy the team. We'll let Jim run it except every decision has to be Okd by Kovy.

Old
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Well in that case I'd like to be the first to welcome our new PP coach, Randy McKay.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
apice3*

May I ask why this thread is still open after multiple, more credible sources have called it "100% untrue"

Old
06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
indfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
do you think he would have given Travis Zajac $50 million if he was in dire financial trouble?
Why not? He figures he won't be around to pay it anyway

Old
06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
I had to Google what a 'Michelin' was besides a French tire company (yes, figured it was a restaurant rating based on the context of the post). Sort of hoping some of the other posters here are just as unfamiliar with it as I am. Let's leave the fancy jokes to the suits that populate MSG (half-kidding but not really).
Like you cant wear a hockey jersey in a "fancy" restaurant?

Old
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
So if you say to someone "YOU SUCK!" enough times, then there has to be some truth just because you're consistently saying it. Right?
You make a point, but considering that even during our playoff run last year SCF tickets were going for under $200, I still think we have a bit of a ways to go.

But I believe the articles a bit, there has to be some truth to it. I'm heavily biased due to the fact that my friend worked for the Devils in accounting for years, however what better source could I personally get for the past few years besides people employed as accountants in accounting. Like I said you can believe me or think I'm full of it, I'm just sharing what I know. I thought my friend was full of it too but a lot of the articles are similar to what he/she said except I heard this years ago on a consistent basis.

This said person also left bc they felt the poop was close to hitting the fan btw.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
apice3*

I'm friends with Jeff VanderBeek and he told me everything's cool.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:50 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
3. You can take this however you want it, I had a friend that worked in the offices at the devils for a few years and he/she would always talk about how they don't make money & left the job for that reason. He/she left in 2011 right before the 2012 SCF run.
No one inside a pro sports organization makes a lot of money. That's not a Devils issue. If you mean the person left the job because the team wasn't making enough money then that person is just flat out stupid.

Old
06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
No one inside a pro sports organization makes a lot of money. That's not a Devils issue. If you mean the person left the job because the team wasn't making enough money then that person is just flat out stupid.
How is that stupid? If the company you work for isn't healthy, then job security isn't exactly a highlight of working there is it...

And accountants make fantastic bank actually.

I'm not saying team is gonna be sold and move to Alaska, just saying these stories are similar to what I heard from someone working inside the financial & accounting department there. Not a paper pusher, not an intern, not the chimney sweep, but an accountant.

Does that worry me that something is screwey internally? You bet it does. Do I believe the gloom & doom reports? No, but there is some truth there in my belief bc of the source I had who is a personal friend.

Like I said, you don't have to believe it. I didn't either til all the reports started hitting the papers not long ago.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'm friends with Jeff VanderBeek and he told me everything's cool.
I figured I was gonna see posts like these which is why I hesitated to say anything.

Take it however you want it, believe or don't. Not my choice or concern.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
How is that stupid? If the company you work for isn't healthy, then job security isn't exactly a highlight of working there is it...

And accountants make fantastic bank actually.

I'm not saying team is gonna be sold and move to Alaska, just saying these stories are similar to what I heard from someone working inside the financial & accounting department there. Not a paper pusher, not an intern, not the chimney sweep, but an accountant.

Does that worry me that something is screwey internally? You bet it does. Do I believe the gloom & doom reports? No, but there is some truth there in my belief bc of the source I had who is a personal friend.

Like I said, you don't have to believe it. I didn't either til all the reports started hitting the papers not long ago.
You are not going to find a job market more stable than a professional sports team. It's a damn near impossible field to get into not only because people love to work with sports but because the jobs never leave. Teams don't just get up and leave and positions don't just disappear. I'm sorry, but that story reeks of ********. In my time in the field I've never once heard of a person leaving a job because the parent organization wasn't making enough.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Johnyrocket you say you don't believe the doom and gloom reports, but that you started believing this when the reports started hitting the papers. I'm a little confused.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
apice3*

You could very well be telling the truth, but unless you put a name out there or prove that you have a source, no one is going to believe you.

Just ask whoever it was a couple days ago, who said they were in a top 15 law firm... posting at 10AM on a Monday... a work day.

Must have been a slow day at the firm.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
You are not going to find a job market more stable than a professional sports team. It's a damn near impossible field to get into not only because people love to work with sports but because the jobs never leave. Teams don't just get up and leave and positions don't just disappear. I'm sorry, but that story reeks of ********. In my time in the field I've never once heard of a person leaving a job because the parent organization wasn't making enough.
Reeks eh? Fine whatever.

I'm not gonna carry this convo on bc my intention wasnt to start some piss contest over who is right. Just shared a story and reason for why I think there is more to it than we might think.

I don't know much about working for a sports franchise but I do know working for a sinking ship is not a pleasant feeling. This person left bc the organization is unhealthy, end of story. Take it how you want, throw in your two cents, ridicule them, ridicule me, whatever.

I shared my story, I'm leaving it here, take it how you want it.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-18-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Deleted Flaming comment.
Old
06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Johnyrocket you say you don't believe the doom and gloom reports, but that you started believing this when the reports started hitting the papers. I'm a little confused.
I mean I don't believe them fully, but there is def truth there bc it matches a lot of what I heard. I heard for a long time that its a mess & not healthy, team doesn't make money.

Also don't think I posted this article to start some agenda or whatever, I just happened to be up early, saw it and was the first to post it.

Just wanted to share what I heard direct from inside. Take it or leave it, whatever.

Old
06-18-2013, 06:09 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Reeks eh? Fine whatever.

I'm not gonna carry this convo on bc my intention wasnt to start some piss contest over who is right. Just shared a story and reason for why I think there is more to it than we might think.

I don't know much about working for a sports franchise but I do know working for a sinking ship is not a pleasant feeling. This person left bc the organization is unhealthy, end of story. Take it how you want, throw in your two cents, ridicule them, ridicule me, whatever.

I shared my story, I'm leaving it here, take it how you want it.

And what makes the Devils a sinking ship? They are tied down to Newark and are always going to need an accountant. Literally no reason for him to quit.

Last edited by Guerzy: 06-18-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Comment not needed / Edited quoted post.
Closed Thread