HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Not this again... Devils in financial trouble?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-18-2013, 01:13 PM
  #276
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.
 
njdevsfn95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 29,338
vCash: 500
Its amazing how Kosman can be shot down by so many people, INCLUDING THE PEOPLE HE MENTIONS, and he still has credibility with respect to this club and its finances.

Its probably not as bad as the speculation that seems rampant.

njdevsfn95 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  #277
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce
 
AfroThunder396's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
There's more than just the potential buyer denying it..

If Kosman can have unnamed sources, can TG not? Who's would you trust here? I'm going to go ahead and take TG..

In his blog, TG wrote a bunch about this in the comments.. reverse order:





yesterday:
Well, there you go.

-Our finances are healthy
-We didn't take loans
-We didn't miss any payments
-We are in the process of adding a minority owner and have been for quite some time
-Our ability to pay players is not, has not, and will not be hindered by financial factors

AfroThunder396 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
  #278
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,938
vCash: 500
meh not worried, we'll have no problem finding a minority owner

MountainGoat is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 01:58 PM
  #279
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Anyone who doesn't know that the NY Post is a borderline tabloid newspaper that intentionally tries to negatively spin stories on a regular basis, clearly knows nothing about the NY Post.

And is there an NHL franchise more unjustifiably slandered than the NJD? Virtually anyone who doesn't know this franchise seems to have horrific perceptions that are not based on any kind of reality, or they just simply skew certain facts to make them more negative then they really are. From fanbase, to attendance, to finances, to on-ice play (boring trap hockey!), on and on and on. I mean, we have specific members on these boards who work hard just to take jabs at this team at every single opportunity they get (hello JA#11). Total disrespect for an organization that really has only been bested by the Detroit Red Wings over the last 20 years.

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 02:01 PM
  #280
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Carton is a ****in idiot......... Shouldn't he be talking tennis since he really is Andre Agassi?
Hah, good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Well, there you go.

-Our finances are healthy
-We didn't take loans
-We didn't miss any payments
-We are in the process of adding a minority owner and have been for quite some time
-Our ability to pay players is not, has not, and will not be hindered by financial factors
-The Acela Club is a three star Michelin rated restaurant

BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:01 PM
  #281
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's
 
Benedict Parisechuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 5,738
vCash: 500
All I know is, if this affects the on ice product then... well that's a very scary thought. Were already having some difficulties so improvements need to be made by keeping key UFA's and bringing in solid talent to help offset missing the playoffs in 2 out of the last 3 years and if we can't do that because were on a fixed budget then I will be very, very angry.

Benedict Parisechuk is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  #282
Brick City
Ignore me!
 
Brick City's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
-The Acela Club is a three star Michelin rated restaurant
I had to Google what a 'Michelin' was besides a French tire company (yes, figured it was a restaurant rating based on the context of the post). Sort of hoping some of the other posters here are just as unfamiliar with it as I am. Let's leave the fancy jokes to the suits that populate MSG (half-kidding but not really).

Brick City is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:08 PM
  #283
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Hah, good call.
First time I saw him was on a commercial for the show during a Devils game. I saw Boomer on there, and then him. I immediately thought to myself ''Boomer Esiason on a show with Andre Agassi?'' I really honest thought he was Agassi.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
  #284
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation
 
Zajacs Bowl Cut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Southampton, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 37,735
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Brian Lawton was on NHLNetwork radio on XM today and said there is nothing to report on any ownership possibilities

Zajacs Bowl Cut is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:38 PM
  #285
Devils86
Registered User
 
Devils86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,938
vCash: 500
Maybe we can all get Obama phones...sell them...then find a private equity firm that Kosman hates to back us...call ourselves HF Devils Conglomerate and buy the team. We'll let Jim run it except every decision has to be Okd by Kovy.

Devils86 is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
  #286
Richer's Ghost
Moderator
You are reading this
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,565
vCash: 425
Well in that case I'd like to be the first to welcome our new PP coach, Randy McKay.

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
  #287
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
May I ask why this thread is still open after multiple, more credible sources have called it "100% untrue"

apice3* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
  #288
indfin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
do you think he would have given Travis Zajac $50 million if he was in dire financial trouble?
Why not? He figures he won't be around to pay it anyway

indfin is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  #289
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003
 
BenedictGomez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PRNJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick City View Post
I had to Google what a 'Michelin' was besides a French tire company (yes, figured it was a restaurant rating based on the context of the post). Sort of hoping some of the other posters here are just as unfamiliar with it as I am. Let's leave the fancy jokes to the suits that populate MSG (half-kidding but not really).
Like you cant wear a hockey jersey in a "fancy" restaurant?


BenedictGomez is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  #290
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
So if you say to someone "YOU SUCK!" enough times, then there has to be some truth just because you're consistently saying it. Right?
You make a point, but considering that even during our playoff run last year SCF tickets were going for under $200, I still think we have a bit of a ways to go.

But I believe the articles a bit, there has to be some truth to it. I'm heavily biased due to the fact that my friend worked for the Devils in accounting for years, however what better source could I personally get for the past few years besides people employed as accountants in accounting. Like I said you can believe me or think I'm full of it, I'm just sharing what I know. I thought my friend was full of it too but a lot of the articles are similar to what he/she said except I heard this years ago on a consistent basis.

This said person also left bc they felt the poop was close to hitting the fan btw.

Mory Schneideur* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
  #291
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
I'm friends with Jeff VanderBeek and he told me everything's cool.

apice3* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 05:50 PM
  #292
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
3. You can take this however you want it, I had a friend that worked in the offices at the devils for a few years and he/she would always talk about how they don't make money & left the job for that reason. He/she left in 2011 right before the 2012 SCF run.
No one inside a pro sports organization makes a lot of money. That's not a Devils issue. If you mean the person left the job because the team wasn't making enough money then that person is just flat out stupid.

DatBoyJPP is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  #293
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
No one inside a pro sports organization makes a lot of money. That's not a Devils issue. If you mean the person left the job because the team wasn't making enough money then that person is just flat out stupid.
How is that stupid? If the company you work for isn't healthy, then job security isn't exactly a highlight of working there is it...

And accountants make fantastic bank actually.

I'm not saying team is gonna be sold and move to Alaska, just saying these stories are similar to what I heard from someone working inside the financial & accounting department there. Not a paper pusher, not an intern, not the chimney sweep, but an accountant.

Does that worry me that something is screwey internally? You bet it does. Do I believe the gloom & doom reports? No, but there is some truth there in my belief bc of the source I had who is a personal friend.

Like I said, you don't have to believe it. I didn't either til all the reports started hitting the papers not long ago.

Mory Schneideur* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
  #294
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
I'm friends with Jeff VanderBeek and he told me everything's cool.
I figured I was gonna see posts like these which is why I hesitated to say anything.

Take it however you want it, believe or don't. Not my choice or concern.

Mory Schneideur* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:01 PM
  #295
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
How is that stupid? If the company you work for isn't healthy, then job security isn't exactly a highlight of working there is it...

And accountants make fantastic bank actually.

I'm not saying team is gonna be sold and move to Alaska, just saying these stories are similar to what I heard from someone working inside the financial & accounting department there. Not a paper pusher, not an intern, not the chimney sweep, but an accountant.

Does that worry me that something is screwey internally? You bet it does. Do I believe the gloom & doom reports? No, but there is some truth there in my belief bc of the source I had who is a personal friend.

Like I said, you don't have to believe it. I didn't either til all the reports started hitting the papers not long ago.
You are not going to find a job market more stable than a professional sports team. It's a damn near impossible field to get into not only because people love to work with sports but because the jobs never leave. Teams don't just get up and leave and positions don't just disappear. I'm sorry, but that story reeks of ********. In my time in the field I've never once heard of a person leaving a job because the parent organization wasn't making enough.

DatBoyJPP is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:03 PM
  #296
Bleedred
Pete still coach?
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Seminole Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 33,201
vCash: 500
Johnyrocket you say you don't believe the doom and gloom reports, but that you started believing this when the reports started hitting the papers. I'm a little confused.

Bleedred is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
  #297
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
You could very well be telling the truth, but unless you put a name out there or prove that you have a source, no one is going to believe you.

Just ask whoever it was a couple days ago, who said they were in a top 15 law firm... posting at 10AM on a Monday... a work day.

Must have been a slow day at the firm.

apice3* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
  #298
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
You are not going to find a job market more stable than a professional sports team. It's a damn near impossible field to get into not only because people love to work with sports but because the jobs never leave. Teams don't just get up and leave and positions don't just disappear. I'm sorry, but that story reeks of ********. In my time in the field I've never once heard of a person leaving a job because the parent organization wasn't making enough.
Reeks eh? Fine whatever.

I'm not gonna carry this convo on bc my intention wasnt to start some piss contest over who is right. Just shared a story and reason for why I think there is more to it than we might think.

I don't know much about working for a sports franchise but I do know working for a sinking ship is not a pleasant feeling. This person left bc the organization is unhealthy, end of story. Take it how you want, throw in your two cents, ridicule them, ridicule me, whatever.

I shared my story, I'm leaving it here, take it how you want it.


Last edited by Guerzy: 06-18-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Deleted Flaming comment.
Mory Schneideur* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:08 PM
  #299
Mory Schneideur*
Mory's Better!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Today & The Future
Posts: 5,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
Johnyrocket you say you don't believe the doom and gloom reports, but that you started believing this when the reports started hitting the papers. I'm a little confused.
I mean I don't believe them fully, but there is def truth there bc it matches a lot of what I heard. I heard for a long time that its a mess & not healthy, team doesn't make money.

Also don't think I posted this article to start some agenda or whatever, I just happened to be up early, saw it and was the first to post it.

Just wanted to share what I heard direct from inside. Take it or leave it, whatever.

Mory Schneideur* is offline  
Old
06-18-2013, 06:09 PM
  #300
DatBoyJPP
Good Night
 
DatBoyJPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Blairstown
Country: United States
Posts: 18,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyrocket View Post
Reeks eh? Fine whatever.

I'm not gonna carry this convo on bc my intention wasnt to start some piss contest over who is right. Just shared a story and reason for why I think there is more to it than we might think.

I don't know much about working for a sports franchise but I do know working for a sinking ship is not a pleasant feeling. This person left bc the organization is unhealthy, end of story. Take it how you want, throw in your two cents, ridicule them, ridicule me, whatever.

I shared my story, I'm leaving it here, take it how you want it.

And what makes the Devils a sinking ship? They are tied down to Newark and are always going to need an accountant. Literally no reason for him to quit.


Last edited by Guerzy: 06-18-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Comment not needed / Edited quoted post.
DatBoyJPP is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.