HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Not this again... Devils in financial trouble?

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Kensu

vCash: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
was just about to post this

the same newspaper that put up pictures of people on the front page and assumed they were the terrorists because they just fit the description.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
the Post has been publishing legitimately false information all the time.

plus, he does not site his sources in the article like you indicated.

Where the hell did I say anything about citing sources in the article. The previous poster implied that the New York Post can just absolve itself of any fault because it has a "source" regardless of how reliable it was. Which is categorically false.

Please show me examples of the New York Post running with a story for over a year that was not true. The whole Boston Marathon thing was a major embarrassment for them and they're caught up in a libel suit because of it. And that's from a single incident. If the New York Post got caught publishing false and defamatory information over multiple years it would effectively shut down the organization for good. You think they're risking that for the sake of writing some articles about a hockey team in New Jersey?

Old
06-17-2013, 10:10 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brovalchuk View Post
If I owed you $10 and we agreed that I would pay you July 1st, and today you asked if you could get that money now, If I give it to you Im not loaning you anything. I am giving you money you already are going to receive at a time before you were to originally receive it.
It is different. The funding is altered, because since you're getting money earlier than you are entitled to it, you would now be required to pay interest on the money that was originally entitled to you on the later (original) date interest free. Unless of course you have some knowledge that the NHL is advancing this money to the Devils interest-free, but as I said, I doublt that's the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And an equal number of doom and gloomers like yourself that latch on to every little rumor as proof positive of being in Chapter 11.
I am hardly a "doom and gloomer", I'm just not a ostrich with my head in the sand. I'm neither an optimist, nor a pessimist, but a realist.

The ridiculous posters are the ones who say, "New York Post" blah, blah, blah, and dismiss every article this guy writes, and latch onto every tiny nuance when he's not 100% correct. What those posters also dont understand, is that financial investigative reporting like this is never going to be 100% correct. It's not like writing about the aftermath of the Boston Bomber or any other news event. Nothing is ever public, and the details will change along the way. He could write a story on June 1 that is 100% correct, and on July 1 95% of the details he wrote about have changed. The fanboys in this thread will then say, "See, I told you he was wrong!" - not understanding how this crap works.

Nevertheless, whether people want to quibble over the details of what Kosma is right about and what he's wrong about, the fact remains that if the Devils are missing multi-million dollar loan payments less than 6 months after a complete financial restructuring? Not Good.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I rather the NHL just take control of the team for right now. We are a NYC market who's won championships so they won't entertain the thought of moving us. The Nhl proved with Phx they will supply the club with enough funds to compete. I love what JVB has done for us but he's obviously having issues and the cloud of uncertainty is going to make this a very unattractive place to play. Now I know what patty meant when he expressed that the team may have hesitations to bring him back...wasn't talking about lou he meant jvb

Old
06-17-2013, 10:13 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensu View Post
was just about to post this

the same newspaper that put up pictures of people on the front page and assumed they were the terrorists because they just fit the description.
Q) Did the feds not seek those two?

A) Yes, yes they did.

They will lose their libel case (not that it has anything to do with the Devils).

Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
It is different. The funding is altered, because since you're getting money earlier than you are entitled to it, you would now be required to pay interest on the money that was originally entitled to you on the later (original) date interest free. Unless of course you have some knowledge that the NHL is advancing this money to the Devils interest-free, but as I said, I doublt that's the case.

I am hardly a "doom and gloomer", I'm just not a ostrich with my head in the sand. I'm neither an optimist, nor a pessimist, but a realist.

The ridiculous posters are the ones who say, "New York Post" blah, blah, blah, and dismiss every article this guy writes, and latch onto every tiny nuance when he's not 100% correct. What those posters also dont understand, is that financial investigative reporting like this is never going to be 100% correct. It's not like writing about the aftermath of the Boston Bomber or any other news event. Nothing is ever public, and the details will change along the way. He could write a story on June 1 that is 100% correct, and on July 1 95% of the details he wrote about have changed. The fanboys in this thread will then say, "See, I told you he was wrong!" - not understanding how this crap works.

Nevertheless, whether people want to quibble over the details of what Kosma is right about and what he's wrong about, the fact remains that if the Devils are missing multi-million dollar loan payments less than 6 months after a complete financial restructuring? Not Good.
Why, in your expertise, is that? Not stirring, but curious.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
This was long overdue. Mildly shocked it took this long to publish another article..

Guess this means we're taking the bus to division games in Columbus this year.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Richer's Ghost
awww summertime

vCash: 425
maybe a car wash or bake sale...

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
06-17-2013, 10:18 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

i can see it now...

Old
06-17-2013, 10:19 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
maybe a car wash or bake sale...
Open a coffee shop in Newark. Zubs can work the counter in the summer months..

Old
06-17-2013, 10:21 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Why, in your expertise, is that? Not stirring, but curious.
Because I'm assumptive that the NHL isnt run by complete morons. You dont give people with financial problems tens-of-millions of dollars interest free. That's how a charity is run, not a business.

And if I thought there was even a 1% chance that the Devils were going to imminently file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, I certainly wouldn't be advancing them millions of dollars AHEAD of the time when it's actually due to them!

Old
06-17-2013, 10:22 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
I dont disagree with that statement, however my point still stands; this is not a loan. Just because something includes interest does not make it a loan. The reason this point matters is that it goes to to the credibility of the article.

There is also the option you are not including which is that the NHL reduces the amount of money forwarded in exchange for getting the money earlier. That is essentially using the balance to pay future intrest now.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Quote:
Because I'm assumptive that the NHL isnt run by complete morons. You dont give people with financial problems tens-of-millions of dollars interest free. That's how a charity is run, not a business.

And if I thought there was even a 1% chance that the Devils were going to imminently file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, I certainly wouldn't be advancing them millions of dollars AHEAD of the time when it's actually due to them!
you are being VERY assumptive, then...

and lets say this is all true. why would the NHL have let JVB buy the team in the first place if he had no money? does that not go back to your first point?

Old
06-17-2013, 10:24 AM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:

Ha

I'd be interested to hear about your take on the NHL's presence in Phoenix then if you are defining your borders like that. Wasn't aware the NHL was a bank with JVB as a small business owner.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:26 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
There is nothing untrue about that though. The police were looking for those guys, and the pic came from the feds. It's cynical as hell and despicable to put it in your newspaper, but they are not lying.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:27 AM
NC107*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
Why not year round, Zubs shouldn't be resigned

Old
06-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Devils731

So this is the 3rd or 4th time Kosman has said VBK is financially insolvent? Let me know when one of the multiple unnamed sources has anybody else's phone number in the news business.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Devils86

Do you realize how much of actual reporting is wrong??? Just go back to the terrible the coverage of Sandy Hook was...90% of the reports in the first days were inaccurate so not everything in the Post article will be accurate especially when you are somewhat speculating about a financial situation. Some of those comments need to be taken with a grain of salt but if you read back from the beginning the gist of what Kosman has been reporting has been accurate, You can parse words about loan, cash advance etc and get on him about the "once proud franchise" comment but this team was and still may be in serious financial trouble. Moreover the statement that someone would make things up to sell papers is stupid on this front. Nobody except us even cares about the Devils. This is not the Yankees. Anybody who doesn't think JVB has and probably still is in trouble either has not paid attention or has their head in the sand.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
David Clarkson skating clinics.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:35 AM
OOOOIIIO
Binary

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
There is nothing untrue about that though. The police were looking for those guys, and the pic came from the feds. It's cynical as hell and despicable to put it in your newspaper, but they are not lying.
Thats not quite true, feds said they were interested in speaking to those individuals. They did not name ANYONE as suspects till the FBI briefing which named the 2 suspects who ended up being pursued with 1 being killed and the other captured.

The Post took the image of someone the police were interested in talking to and claimed they were in fact the suspects which, as it turned out, was not true at all.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm not sure that's a reasonable thing to assume.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:39 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

does it matter if it was technically a loan?

Old
06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC107 View Post
Why not year round, Zubs shouldn't be resigned
You need your head examined if you don't think Zubs should be re-signed. Plus we really can't afford to have another hole in the top-9.

Old
06-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Thats not quite true, feds said they were interested in speaking to those individuals. They did not name ANYONE as suspects till the FBI briefing which named the 2 suspects who ended up being pursued with 1 being killed and the other captured.

The Post took the image of someone the police were interested in talking to and claimed they were in fact the suspects which, as it turned out, was not true at all.
The cover said feds seek these two in bombing.. the picture was of public domain..In fact the Feds did talk to these two...and then quickly moved to the other brothers. The picture was on many web sites and in other papers. One could argue the Post was irresponsible but the story was not inaccurate,

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAg&dur=482

Old
06-17-2013, 10:41 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
Quote:

The word "suspect" is not in itself libelous. It's one of those "frowned upon" things in journalism and each paper has its own rules on when to use the word. So their use of it is, in hindsight really bad, but not something that would put them at any legal risk.

Again, I'm not trying to be condescending, but it's pretty clear that your understanding of how libel works, what falls under the category of libel, and what papers do to counteract it is very incomplete.

Closed Thread