Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
BenchedGuy

vCash: 500
I would think that Troy gets the coaching duties for the time being on an interm basis at least. I would like to see a person for each position, not both coach and gm.

Old
07-03-2013, 02:25 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Smith makes very good sense, but he's not experienced enough to be GM (sorry Kyle Dubas, but he's not).
Hey how come Dubas gets accolades for being a good GM? He got fleeced in the Jack Campbell trade, they overpaid for Gudbranson and I have yet to see him really do great things for the Sault.
I'll tell you this much, if he really wanted to rebuild the Sault properly he would trade Nurse at the deadline (this will be his last year, then off to Edmonton), and get a kings ransom for him.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:00 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
Hey how come Dubas gets accolades for being a good GM? He got fleeced in the Jack Campbell trade, they overpaid for Gudbranson and I have yet to see him really do great things for the Sault.
I'll tell you this much, if he really wanted to rebuild the Sault properly he would trade Nurse at the deadline (this will be his last year, then off to Edmonton), and get a kings ransom for him.
Draft of McCann, Tolchinsky. Wasn't afraid to dump a coach in Stapleton and hire Keefe who turned things around. A sign of a good GM is willing to admit a mistake early and correct he did that with Stapleton.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:03 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Will be very interesting to watch my first full season of Rangers hockey now that Spott is gone.

Old
07-03-2013, 03:07 PM
saska sault

Dubas has made a few good moves, dumping Justin Thomas and getting Brandon Alderson and picks worked out very well, dumping Brett Findlay for some good picks, drafting Nurse, Mccann, Tolchinsky, getting Fritsch, Schumacher, and picks for Catennaci and our import who never reported to the OHL, the coaching swap of Keefe and Stapleton worked out well too... he made some rookie mistakes but most of those were early in his tenure, and he slowly has improved and started to make some pretty good hockey decisions. We will see how our import pick turns out his year...

Old
07-03-2013, 04:57 PM
KnightRanger

Oh, how I have longed for this day! Good Riddance Mr. Spott!!!! I feel horrible for the Marlies!

This was the key ingredient to a rebuild. Now let's not make the mistake of hiring a Coach/GM. Let's hire a coach and a GM! This year is going to be a tough one, but I'm not sure I have ever been happier to be a Rangers fan. Love it!

Old
07-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Any thoughts on Radek Faksa last season troubles. A bit disappointment. Anyway I knew, that his first season as Ranger was like the best dream, but what are the expectations right now.

Old
07-03-2013, 05:20 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Campbell trade was really the only loss. Gudbranson will be a three year guy, look at the cost of defenceman at the deadline? Jake Dotchin cost 4 high picks.

The Soo's drafting has been top notch the past two years, Kyle had revamped the staff, while also being among the hardest working guys GM's the OHL. Say what you will about the Campbell trade, he took a risk and put his neck on the line. He missed on Campbell, but did it again and won on Tolchinsky. Most guys who swing and miss once would be shy to do it again. He wasn't, I appreciate the guts it takes to do so. Took another gutsy call on Keefe, and it payed off as well.

Has done the same with his drafting, intelligent risks that have paid off. They have one of the best 95/96 cores in the league.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
bobber

Thought this was the Ranger thread but anyhoo Bienkowski says there will probably be a GM and a coach hired. Getting away from the one Coach/GM system.

Old
07-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Thought this was the Ranger thread but anyhoo Bienkowski says there will probably be a GM and a coach hired. Getting away from the one Coach/GM system.
Uh oh, the conversation police is here! If you follow along, we were speculating who your next GM's would be, and a reference to Dubas was made and I asked a question thats all. Hockey talk.
But ok so back to Faksa being horrible last year and your upcoming goaltender woes... Lol

Old
07-04-2013, 07:01 AM
bobber

Sorry 77 just got confused in my old age. I really thought I was on the Soo thread. Lol. On the Faksa issue, he played injured for quite some time and wore a leg brace to finish the year. In saying that many players as you know under achieved last year under the tutelage of Spott. Hoping they bring in an NHL experienced GM and coach. They are looking to have two separate positions.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Loosie

Quote:
I'm hoping Troy Smith moves up, but who he'll bring in as assistant is anyone's guess.

LOL - guess Fixter jumped ship too soon. Awwwwwwww
Maybe not? Fixter is now the Head Coach of the Wolves as Cull has taken an assistant coaching job with the Syracuse Crunch.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:28 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Maybe not? Fixter is now the Head Coach of the Wolves as Cull has taken an assistant coaching job with the Syracuse Crunch.
I wonder if Fixter knew that before he agreed to the job up there. Regardless, I'm not sorry he's not in Kitchener.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
BenchedGuy

Bienkowski was interviewed on CTV local news last night at 11.....via phone from SouthHampton. He mentioned that previously he liked having one person for both duties but would look at separate candidates. I would think that would bode well for Smith but who knows.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Bienkowski was interviewed on CTV local news last night at 11.....via phone from SouthHampton. He mentioned that previously he liked having one person for both duties but would look at separate candidates. I would think that would bode well for Smith but who knows.
I hope so, otherwise it's only a matter of time before Smith leaves to be a head coach somewhere else.

I do like the idea of separating the duties, as long as they're both on the same page in terms of personnel and playing styles.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:57 AM
bobber

I like Smith and the fact he played in the OHL not college. If he is put into the position of coach hope he changes direction to a more aggressive approach. Will they look at an experienced coach with a winning record?

Old
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
I like Smith and the fact he played in the OHL not college. If he is put into the position of coach hope he changes direction to a more aggressive approach. Will they look at an experienced coach with a winning record?
We are in the midst of a rebuild, IF Troy was given the reigns and IF he wasnt capable, its going to be a couple years before we are in another all or nothing playoff race. So there is time. I would hope they would hope that they will at least put an interm tag on him at the very least.

Old
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
I wonder if Fixter knew that before he agreed to the job up there. Regardless, I'm not sorry he's not in Kitchener.
Does anyone truly believe he left on his own accord?

It will be very interesting to see the results he gets in Sudbury just to see if our premonition about him is correct!

Old
07-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Sorry 77 just got confused in my old age. I really thought I was on the Soo thread. Lol. On the Faksa issue, he played injured for quite some time and wore a leg brace to finish the year. In saying that many players as you know under achieved last year under the tutelage of Spott. Hoping they bring in an NHL experienced GM and coach. They are looking to have two separate positions.
Kitchener with a good coach next year could be a tough team to play against. I think they still have some good pieces and are always competitive. Paul Maurice would be my bet and choice....

Old
07-04-2013, 10:50 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:

Bobber......I can totally be way off base with this comment. But IMHO the genesis of the 'non-aggressive' approach by Spott was the Liambas hit on Fanelli.
He seemed to rein in the players from playing any type of aggressive approach after that.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 07-04-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
07-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Kitchener with a good coach next year could be a tough team to play against. I think they still have some good pieces and are always competitive. Paul Maurice would be my bet and choice....
I know this would never happen but IMHO the best coach out there looking for a HC job is Bill Stewart.
I would be thrilled if they got him....I suspect he had his lesson learned but will any team take a chance?....

Old
07-04-2013, 01:10 PM
bobber

Is Steward allowed to cross the border? Seems to like a bit of sandpaper. It will be interesting to see if the Rangers decide to change their philosophy.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:32 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I know this would never happen but IMHO the best coach out there looking for a HC job is Bill Stewart.
I would be thrilled if they got him....I suspect he had his lesson learned but will any team take a chance?....

If you want to talk about old time 1970's Rangers who would be good HC candidates, how about Larry Huras.

Played and coached for years in Europe with I believe one championship as coach under his belt. He's coached most recently in the Swiss league I think. Just been relieved of his duties with a year left on his contract.

At home on this side of the pond wondering what the next opportunity might be.

We could do a lot worse.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

@sunayas: late to this but Smith as head coach & Barclay Branch as GM. They've worked well together before.

Old
07-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Ottomatic

Barclay Branch is the son of David Branch.

Closed Thread