Old
08-26-2013, 04:06 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Count me in for going!
I love the efficiency of last years meeting....wonder why that is??

I was looking forward to see how Spott was going to squirm to put a positive spin on last year!!
I'll look for you when I get there.

BenchedGuy, I'll do my best to summarize the meeting (but warn you in advance that my memory sucks! )

Old
08-27-2013, 08:42 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Turns out, I wasn't able to make it. I was following along with Josh Brown and Mike Farwell on twitter and I like what I saw for the most part.

a) They're doing a tryout of beer in the seats this year. Sounds like the city is pushing for it; the Rangers are more reticent. I don't have a problem with someone having a beer in the seats; my concern is more that there is barely enough leg and arm room now, and there is a high chance of spillage onto the person in front.

b) Kitchener Rangers sold more gear last year than any other year in franchise history - $470,000 in jerseys and related items. (per Josh Brown).

c) Kitchener Rangers turn profit for 18th consecutive season. Cleared $22,165 in 2012-13, made $551,625 in 2011-12.Kitchener Rangers turn profit for 18th consecutive season. Cleared $22,165 in 2012-13, made $551,625 in 2011-12.

d) Head coach Troy Smith promises an #OHLRangers team that will be "competitive, aggressive and, most importantly, hard-working." (per Farwell). LOVE THIS!

No bold proclamations from Smith in his first address. "The only promise I'm going to make you is that our team will be well-prepared, given everything they need to be successful, and develop into quality hockey players on the ice and in the community."

e) #OHLRangers goalie coach Piero Greco moves on to join Steve Spott with the Toronto Marlies. Kain Tisi the new goalie guru in Kitchener.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 08-27-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old
08-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Turns out, I wasn't able to make it. I was following along with Josh Brown and Mike Farwell on twitter and I like what I saw for the most part.

a) They're doing a tryout of beer in the seats this year. Sounds like the city is pushing for it; the Rangers are more reticent. I don't have a problem with someone having a beer in the seats; my concern is more that there is barely enough leg and arm room now, and there is a high chance of spillage onto the person in front.

b) Kitchener Rangers sold more gear last year than any other year in franchise history - $470,000 in jerseys and related items. (per Josh Brown).

c) Head coach Troy Smith promises an #OHLRangers team that will be "competitive, aggressive and, most importantly, hard-working." (per Farwell). LOVE THIS!

No bold proclamations from Smith in his first address. "The only promise I'm going to make you is that our team will be well-prepared, given everything they need to be successful, and develop into quality hockey players on the ice and in the community."
One comment by Steve Beinkowski that really jumped out at me was that in his opinion that Deboer goal was to develop a team while Spott goal was to turn-out NHL players. I got the impression that Beinkowski is 100% along the lines of the Deboer approach. IMHO I think we all saw this in how SS left the young kids langering forever on the bench and not developing.
While Murray Hiebert stressed he believed that true contenders need to build through the draft and not through trades. ( I took this a great news and perhaps another shot at the previous regime)

Old
08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
BenchedGuy

Thanks for the updates CG and Ward.

Love hearing Steve B insite on the previous regime's and hope Troy/Murray are more in the mold of Deboer.

Hate hearing about Piero Greco. Thought he was one of the better goalie coaches out there but I guess thats why they move on as well. Dont know anything abou Kain Tisi. I guess we will see with the progress of Greenfield, Moylan and if he can help out Teichmann getting to the pro ranks.

The revenue is no surprise really, good to hear.

Any Cosman sitings??

Old
08-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post

Any Cosman sitings??
Yes he was there and one speaker got up to question SB on the wasteful lawsuit by Cosman. There was a few chuckles with the comment.

btw...and no Cosman isn't a STH but the likelyhood his wife still has her ticket and he was their acting as her proxy.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:12 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
One comment by Steve Beinkowski that really jumped out at me was that in his opinion that Deboer goal was to develop a team while Spott goal was to turn-out NHL players. I got the impression that Beinkowski is 100% along the lines of the Deboer approach. IMHO I think we all saw this in how SS left the young kids langering forever on the bench and not developing.
While Murray Hiebert stressed he believed that true contenders need to build through the draft and not through trades. ( I took this a great news and perhaps another shot at the previous regime)
I heard that comment and found it very interesting as well. Could be why Deboer's teams had more success, and Spott's always looked like a bunch of individuals skating around out there.

Very much looking forward to seeing this Troy Smith team - I think we're going to like it a lot.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Hate hearing about Piero Greco. Thought he was one of the better goalie coaches out there but I guess thats why they move on as well. Dont know anything abou Kain Tisi. I guess we will see with the progress of Greenfield, Moylan and if he can help out Teichmann getting to the pro ranks.
seems like everyone is along your line of thinking about Greco when the entire room let out a collective groan when Hiebert(?) said that Greco is going the the Marlies.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:32 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
seems like everyone is along your line of thinking about Greco when the entire room let out a collective groan when Hiebert(?) said that Greco is going the the Marlies.
Just trying to google quickly but it seems that we have a new to the ranks of coaching goalie coach, or at least somewhat new. The only info I could find is his facebook page and hockeydb page where he was still playing in the 09-10 season and is not that old (looks like the Mike MacKenzie route). That is, if its the same person.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=85773

Old
08-29-2013, 07:41 AM
bobber

Kitchener Rangers General Manager Murray Hiebert "officially announced" the hiring of Goaltending Coach Kain Tisi on Wednesday afternoon.

Tisi played five seasons in the Ontario Junior Hockey League with the Mississauga Chargers, Milton IceHawks and St. Michael’s Buzzers. As an OJHL goaltender, he won a staggering 14 out of 15 playoff rounds.

After a successful junior career, Tisi spent four seasons playing NCAA hockey with the St. Lawrence University Saints, where he played with Rangers’ Assistant Coach Mike McKenzie. During his time with the Saints, he was thrice named the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Goaltender of the Week.

He went on to play professional hockey in the East Coast Hockey League with the Reading Royals. In 2012-13, he returned to the OJHL Buzzers and was the goaltending coach for their league championship team.

“We are extremely pleased that Kain will be joining the Kitchener Rangers this season,” said Hiebert.

“He will bring his tremendous work ethic to our coaching staff and we anticipate him being a great fit with our team. He brings experience at a number of different levels and as a young coach we look forward to having him work with our goaltenders.”

Old
08-29-2013, 07:53 AM
rangersfan88

This is what i think the rangers will look like to start the season providing Thompson returns . Not too sure about the lines but I think this I what the roster will look like . What does Everyone think ?
How did Teskey look ? Is he a lock for this team?

Bailey faksa pederson

marcantouni sterk Thompson*

Llewelyn macinnis Magyar*

Davies meighan tesky

Fanelli Mceneny*

Iafrate sergeev*

Stewart young*

Teichmann
Greenfield*
Moylan*

Old
08-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Kitchener Rangers General Manager Murray Hiebert "officially announced" the hiring of Goaltending Coach Kain Tisi on Wednesday afternoon.

Tisi played five seasons in the Ontario Junior Hockey League with the Mississauga Chargers, Milton IceHawks and St. Michael’s Buzzers. As an OJHL goaltender, he won a staggering 14 out of 15 playoff rounds.

After a successful junior career, Tisi spent four seasons playing NCAA hockey with the St. Lawrence University Saints, where he played with Rangers’ Assistant Coach Mike McKenzie. During his time with the Saints, he was thrice named the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Goaltender of the Week.

He went on to play professional hockey in the East Coast Hockey League with the Reading Royals. In 2012-13, he returned to the OJHL Buzzers and was the goaltending coach for their league championship team.
Going to the game this am?...if so, we"ll see you there!

“We are extremely pleased that Kain will be joining the Kitchener Rangers this season,” said Hiebert.

“He will bring his tremendous work ethic to our coaching staff and we anticipate him being a great fit with our team. He brings experience at a number of different levels and as a young coach we look forward to having him work with our goaltenders.”
Goes without saying that Tisi has huge shoes to fill in replacing Piero Greco.
As with players, the OHL is also a development league for the coaches as well and when a goalie coach has the opportunity to get into the AHL he better jump at it!

Old
08-29-2013, 07:59 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan88 View Post
This is what i think the rangers will look like to start the season providing Thompson returns . Not too sure about the lines but I think this I what the roster will look like . What does Everyone think ?
How did Teskey look ? Is he a lock for this team?

Bailey faksa pederson

marcantouni sterk Thompson*

Llewelyn macinnis Magyar*

Davies meighan tesky

Fanelli Mceneny*

Iafrate sergeev*

Stewart young*

Teichmann
Greenfield*
Moylan*
Also you'll need to include Doug Blaisdell and Hora somewhere on the D either as 7th and reserve. But I suspect after the trade deadline that one of them will be getting regular minutes!

Old
08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I travelled to Kitchener to watch the morning scrimmage so here are some of my observations:

- Awesome looking program/roster guides but it was slightly maddening for them not to have numbers next to the players. I would like to thank the kind gentlemen who graciously offered me his program to copy with all the player numbers that he gathered from yesterday. Very nice of him.

- Ryan MacInnis looks like he's going to be a real impact player at the OHL level and a top prospect for the upcoming draft. He has the total package of size, smarts and skill and while he looked like he was adjusting still, it was evident that he has lots of potential. Ranger fans will enjoy him!

- Nick Hagyar struggled to start the scrimmage but he improved as the game unfolded. I wasn't thrilled with his skating ability and he made some blind turnovers but he also showed some creativity and offensive skill.

- Dmitrii Sergeev (D) looks like a seasoned vet already. His mobility is extremely impressive and I think he may be able to skate backwards as fast as he does forwards. He showed some good puck skills leading the rush a few times. Big strong looking kid too. Has the potential to become a first round selection in the 2014 NHL Draft

- Ty Learn (F) was arguably the best forward on the ice this morning. Showed some real grit and determination and his finishing ability was really impressive. He individually forced several turnovers and was around the puck all morning. Really, really liked him. Potential sleeper for the draft.

-Curtis Meighan (F) was an offensive catalyst. He's really improved since the last time I watched him. I expect him to break out for your Rangers this season.

- Scott Teskey (F) didn't show well at all. Floated around waiting for the puck to come to him which is disappointing because the kid can score. Based on his play this morning, he may not make this squad

-Justin Bailey (F) is a fun player to watch with his amazing puck skills. Apparently he can fight too after dropping the mitts with Abram and easily getting the upper hand. He should be among the league scoring leaders this season....if he can remain healthy.-

Darby Llewellyn (F) looks ready to take the next step and breakout this season. He reads the ice extremely well and seems to always be in position to score. Good hands and instincts.

- Brent Pedersen (F) is another forward who's made some good development in his game. Patience, puck control and confidence all look to have improved. Should be among the scoring leaders on this squad.

- Max Iafrate (D) has really found a home in Kitchener. His one-timer is fun to watch and he's playing a smart defensive game.

- Frank Hora (D) - His fundamental skills (skating, puck handling abilities, etc) are very good as he can really control the play from the backend. He made a few unnecessary risky plays but if he can iron those out, he should see himself have a solid year and move up the draft boards.

- Douglas Blaisdell (D) owns a nice package too that starts with a good solid frame. He can really skate with the puck and as he gets more comfortable, he'll become a threat from the blue line.

One FA that really stood out to me was the Goetz kid. Played with a lot of jam and seemed to be in the play a lot.

I am sure I missed a few players but those are some that left an impression on me this morning...

After taking in the Sting and Steelheads camps, Rangers fans should be proud to have the talented prospects that they have. Future looks bright.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I travelled to Kitchener to watch the morning scrimmage so here are some of my observations:
I agree with the above and wanted to add a few more ...
The one player that I really liked was Mason Kohn, nice ice vision and slick playmaking ability. Not sure if he'll make this years team but could easily be here next season.
While Michael Davies didn't really standout his one goal was pure goal scorers...a laser under the crossbar with a lightning release.
Matt Greenfield in goal (I know it's tough to judge goalies in these things) but he seemed to follow the puck nicely in traffic, controlled his rebounds, was square to shooters and very rarely was caught of off position.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 05:14 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
I agree with the above and wanted to add a cpl more ...
The one player that I really liked was Mason Kohn, nice ice vision and slick playmaking ability. Not sure if he'll make this years team but could easily be here next season.
While Michael Davies didn't really standout his one goal was pure goal scorers...a laser under the crossbar with a lightning release.
Yes, Kohn had some very good shifts during the scrimmage. He seems to always be around the puck.

Michael Davies has one of the best shots of the 2013 draft class and we certainly witnessed that on his goal today. However, Davies looked a little rusty today in comparison to my views of him last season with Southern Tier. He's a powerful skater and has good hands but that didn't really show today. But, man, he sure can shoot! Haha

Old
08-29-2013, 05:59 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Yes, Kohn had some very good shifts during the scrimmage. He seems to always be around the puck.

Michael Davies has one of the best shots of the 2013 draft class and we certainly witnessed that on his goal today. However, Davies looked a little rusty today in comparison to my views of him last season with Southern Tier. He's a powerful skater and has good hands but that didn't really show today. But, man, he sure can shoot! Haha
May be the one player I'm cheering for the most, went through alot last year. First month and a half he was a top 5 player in the draft. The health issues that he suffered really took away his power and explosiveness. The 'knock' on him is the feet, but I think he'll be fine, as you mention, he can be a pretty powerful skater when he's at 100 percent. Will still have to earn his ice, but could be a real 'get' for the Rangers.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Iafrate playing a smart defensive game? That's the first time I've ever heard that said about him. Good to hear I suppose, he's probably mad he didn't get drafted. He needs to step up, one of the players I've been disappointed in the most.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:33 PM
rangersfan88

I missed the first period tonight . I overheard josh sterk played in the first period but I didn't see him after wards .any news on that ?

Old
08-29-2013, 09:52 PM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan88 View Post
I missed the first period tonight . I overheard josh sterk played in the first period but I didn't see him after wards .any news on that ?
Sterk looked like he got injured. You could see he was in pain though when skated off the ice tonight.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:55 PM
bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Iafrate playing a smart defensive game? That's the first time I've ever heard that said about him. Good to hear I suppose, he's probably mad he didn't get drafted. He needs to step up, one of the players I've been disappointed in the most.
I know what you mean about Iafrate but I think he is one of the more noticeable D men so far in camp. I thought the vets like Pederson and a couple of others showed the rookies and free agents what they need to do to play in this league tonight.

Old
08-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Phatpat88

Cuts

Kitchener Rangers General Manager Murray Hiebert announced this afternoon that the team has reassigned the following players as of Friday, August 30, 2013.

Goalies
Eric Bogart
Izzy Benigno

Forwards
Connor Patton
Keigan Goetz
Alex Gilmour
Chris Poletek
Jordan Delaurier
Adam Abu-Ali
Jacob Cascagnette
Mark Bzowey
Tommy Abrams

Defencemen
Sam Harris
Trevor McEneny
Scott Pedersen
Danylo Znaczko

Old
08-31-2013, 02:29 PM
ForceMajeure

Introduction to the Rangers

Being a Swedish exchange student who will be spending this fall at the University of Waterloo, I feel that I also will be spending quite a lot of time at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. However, I have to admit that I currently don't know too much about Kitchener Rangers (or the OHL...) at all, so I'm not really sure about the best way to go about this.

My current plan is to swing by tomorrow's Fan Appreciation BBQ and Exhibition Game and try to find someone willing to tell me a bit about the Rangers current roster, expectations , what rivalries to look out for, etc. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, and at what time would I have to get there to make sure to get a ticket to the game (if that might be a problem)?

Last edited by ForceMajeure: 08-31-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old
09-01-2013, 09:47 AM
bobber

Rangers signed local Kitchener product Logan Schmidt. Small D man with a lot of skill. Good catch. He stood out in Friday morning scrimmage and I inquired about who he was because he seemed so noticeable in this scrimmage. 1996 born. 5' 11'', 165 pounds.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

I wouldn't mention this if I didn't hear it in 2 different rinks in 2 days. Rumour that Ben Fanelli would accept a trade to a contender. Thoughts?

Old
09-01-2013, 12:56 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I wouldn't mention this if I didn't hear it in 2 different rinks in 2 days. Rumour that Ben Fanelli would accept a trade to a contender. Thoughts?
I don't see why any young player wouldn't accept a trade to a contender that would give him a lot more exposure especially after what he's went through. The more eyes on him the better for any future career to snuff out any concerns about his reliability
Fanelli would make any contender even stronger, on a stacked team on D he would be a very solid 3 or 4. IMHO he would be good for approx 40 points and with very solid play in his own d-zone. Then there's the intangibles of his leadership but not sure this would play out when just he's parachuted in for the last few months.
The other d-man on Kitchener that should be well sought out would be Evan McEneny, ditto for what I said about Fanelli above!

As for any other assets that Kitchener would sell off would be Ben Thomson a power forward and if Tyson Teichmann continues his play from last year
he would be in demand for a good back-up. (and yes, he did finally have a solid year in Missy after high fanfare coming into the OHL.
I only brought up TT since there's seems to be almost zero good goalies available in a Memorial Cup year for the OHL. Exceptions could be Murray from SSM and one of the Eries goalies in Dansk(import) or Williams.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 09-01-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Closed Thread