HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 01:18 PM
bobber

vCash: 500
I just hope that Heibert has the ability to see the value in players like Fanelli. Spott failed miserably at trading players and getting assets back to bolster depth. This team has given up far too many seconds and thirds under Spott over his tenure and has totally lacked talented depth and role players. Fanelli is worth far more than the third round pick he was as a rookie. Heibert should look at all offers and take the most he can get not just ask back what they paid for a player originally like Spott has done.

Old
09-02-2013, 10:00 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMajeure View Post
Being a Swedish exchange student who will be spending this fall at the University of Waterloo, I feel that I also will be spending quite a lot of time at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. However, I have to admit that I currently don't know too much about Kitchener Rangers (or the OHL...) at all, so I'm not really sure about the best way to go about this.

My current plan is to swing by tomorrow's Fan Appreciation BBQ and Exhibition Game and try to find someone willing to tell me a bit about the Rangers current roster, expectations , what rivalries to look out for, etc. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, and at what time would I have to get there to make sure to get a ticket to the game (if that might be a problem)?
First of all, welcome to K-W! I hope you made it to the fan BBQ and exhibition game yesterday.

As far as this year's team, it's a very, very young team so expectations are low - as a general rule, a team full of 19 year olds will dominate the league. Having said that, watching a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds grow in the league and become those dominant players (in some cases) is the best part of being an OHL fan, in my opinion.

There are two separate levels of rivals. The most heated and hated rival is London over the past 10 years or so. Guelph is the closest team to us (about 1/2 hour away) and although the rivalry has cooled in the last decade, it can heat up at any moment.

I hope you enjoy following the Rangers and the OHL, and if you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Old
09-03-2013, 07:45 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
First of all, welcome to K-W!

There are two separate levels of rivals. The most heated and hated rival is London over the past 10 years or so. Guelph is the closest team to us (about 1/2 hour away) and although the rivalry has cooled in the last decade, it can heat up at any moment.
London says thank you
Kitchener is out biggest rival as well, in spite of what some feel bout Windsor.
It sounds a rebuild year in Ktown. ( as expected after buying last year and losing some top end talent )
You've got some good returnees thou ( ESP Bailey) , some seemingly talented rookies, a new coach/ philosophy and now you have the FORCE with you. ya never know in this league of teens.

Make sure to check out Octoberfest and enjoy the season forcemajeure!

Old
09-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
London says thank you
Kitchener is out biggest rival as well, in spite of what some feel bout Windsor.
It sounds a rebuild year in Ktown. ( as expected after buying last year and losing some top end talent )
You've got some good returnees thou ( ESP Bailey) , some seemingly talented rookies, a new coach/ philosophy and now you have the FORCE with you. ya never know in this league of teens.

Make sure to check out Octoberfest and enjoy the season forcemajeure!
Are you sure you're a Knights fan?...you seem almost too level headed! .........Always appreciate your views and comments here!
I suspect what most fans are excited for is having a coach and GM that has faith and is willing to play the kids and actually roll 4 lines.
From the AGM, thats almost priority one from the new GM. It's sure is nice to have the separated roles of the GM and HC. Unfortunately last year our GM couldn't trade for a head coach.
To this day I still believe the Rangers had the team to beat the Knights last year except for the coaching!
Unfortunately he wasted two years of the best junior goalie I've seen in my 50 years of watching it but that's all water the bridge and it's time to drop the puck for 2013-2014

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 09-03-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old
09-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I wouldn't mention this if I didn't hear it in 2 different rinks in 2 days. Rumour that Ben Fanelli would accept a trade to a contender. Thoughts?
I know for a fact Fanelli and his family want to be lifetime Rangers and the team will name him captain and give him a major role in mentoring a very young squad this year. He will get loads of ice time and will almost be a fourth coach on the bench.

Having said that, when January rolls around and the offers come in, you never know. I don't expect them to actively shop him, but if a great offer comes in, I expect them to let Ben make the call. But don't expect a trade any time soon.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:19 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I know for a fact Fanelli and his family want to be lifetime Rangers and the team will name him captain and give him a major role in mentoring a very young squad this year. He will get loads of ice time and will almost be a fourth coach on the bench.

Having said that, when January rolls around and the offers come in, you never know. I don't expect them to actively shop him, but if a great offer comes in, I expect them to let Ben make the call. But don't expect a trade any time soon.
Thats good to hear. This is one of those situations where I hope it is up to the player to make the decision. His situation is unique and he has been very active in the community, so I hope that he moves only if he requests it. I think he deserves a say in where he ends his junior career.

Old
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceMajeure View Post
Being a Swedish exchange student who will be spending this fall at the University of Waterloo, I feel that I also will be spending quite a lot of time at the Kitchener Memorial Auditorium. However, I have to admit that I currently don't know too much about Kitchener Rangers (or the OHL...) at all, so I'm not really sure about the best way to go about this.

My current plan is to swing by tomorrow's Fan Appreciation BBQ and Exhibition Game and try to find someone willing to tell me a bit about the Rangers current roster, expectations , what rivalries to look out for, etc. Does this sound like a reasonable plan, and at what time would I have to get there to make sure to get a ticket to the game (if that might be a problem)?
Welcome to Ranger Nation!!

Just to add to the info that CharlieGirl gave, if you are looking for a single ticket to games you shouldnt have too much trouble at the box office (Aud in person or Centre In the Square online). But if you are going with a friend, Kitchener does well at "reported" sellouts for most games. I would suggest trying to plan out and get a few tickets in advance for the season. Some games (London, Guelph...) are harder to get tickets at the last minute. The beginning of the season generally has more seats available but it does pick up as the year goes on.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Welcome to Ranger Nation!!

Just to add to the info that CharlieGirl gave, if you are looking for a single ticket to games you shouldnt have too much trouble at the box office (Aud in person or Centre In the Square online). But if you are going with a friend, Kitchener does well at "reported" sellouts for most games. I would suggest trying to plan out and get a few tickets in advance for the season. Some games (London, Guelph...) are harder to get tickets at the last minute. The beginning of the season generally has more seats available but it does pick up as the year goes on.

and since he's or she's a student it might be helpful to know that you're allowed to bring your own food and drinks into the arena. Which leads to the next question.....since beer is now allowed in the stands......nah, forget the idea!

Old
09-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Loosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
and since he's or she's a student it might be helpful to know that you're allowed to bring your own food and drinks into the arena. Which leads to the next question.....since beer is now allowed in the stands......nah, forget the idea!
Really? In all my time here and the games I;ve been too I've never known that. Then again we usually by beer nuts that are oh so good.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:59 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosie View Post
Really? In all my time here and the games I;ve been too I've never known that. Then again we usually by beer nuts that are oh so good.
Really? I walk in with a Timmy's in my hand and a bottle of water in my bag every game. Occasionally munchies as well. And we're lucky in our area - we've had seatmates bring in perogies, all kinds of baked goods, and various and assorted other foods. Section 15 rules!

Old
09-09-2013, 05:14 PM
Phatpat88

Season ranking

Here's the Hockey News Power Ranking Predictions for the coming season

1 London
2 Barrie
3 Guelph
4 Plymouth
5 Saginaw
6 Kingston
7 Sudbury
8 Belleville
9 KITCHENER
10 Owen Sound
11 Sault
12 Oshawa
13 Erie
14 North Bay
15 Windsor
16 Peterboro
17 Ottawa
18 Sarnia
19 Niagara
20 Mississauga

Discuss NOOFERS

Old
09-09-2013, 05:40 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatpat88 View Post
Here's the Hockey News Power Ranking Predictions for the coming season

1 London
2 Barrie
3 Guelph
4 Plymouth
5 Saginaw
6 Kingston
7 Sudbury
8 Belleville
9 KITCHENER
10 Owen Sound
11 Sault
12 Oshawa
13 Erie
14 North Bay
15 Windsor
16 Peterboro
17 Ottawa
18 Sarnia
19 Niagara
20 Mississauga

Discuss NOOFERS

Mine would go:

1. London
2. Barrie
3. Saginaw +1
4. Guelph -1
5. Kingston +1
6. Sudbury +1
7. Windsor +8
8. Belleville
9. Erie +4
10. Plymouth -6
11. KITCHENER -2
12. North Bay +2
13. Peterborough +3
14. Soo -3
15. Ottawa +2
16. Owen Sound -6
17. Oshawa -5
18. Niagara +1
19. Missy +1
20. Sarnia -2

Them putting Erie low doesnt really offend me, I understand that ranking as we've been awful the past two seasons. But some of these rankings make me question how much they pay attention to the OHL.

Old
09-09-2013, 05:45 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Too high:

Plymouth
Owen Sound
Soo
Oshawa

Too Low:

Erie
Windsor
North Bay
Peterborough

Mine would go:

1. London
2. Barrie
3. Saginaw
4. Guelph
5. Kingston
6. Sudbury
7. Windsor
8. Belleville
9. Erie
10. Plymouth
11. KITCHENER
12. North Bay
13. Peterborough
14. Soo
15. Ottawa
16. Owen Sound
17. Oshawa
18. Niagara
19. Missy
20. Sarnia
I think u have Barrie,Belleville,Plymouth,Kitchener rated too high,and Erie,North Bay rated too low,otherwise pretty good effort

Old
09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I think u have Barrie,Belleville,Plymouth,Kitchener rated too high,and Erie,North Bay rated too low,otherwise pretty good effort
My thoughts are that Plymouth will be tough defensively and find a way to win games. Kitchener had a lot of good signings, I think under the new coach they find their way to 6th in the west. Barrie may be too high but I felt the need to put a team from the east up there. Belleville is a question mark. I'm unsure about North Bay because of their goaltending. And I was being modest with Erie. I didnt want to seem like a homer, plus I'm still pretty unsure about the defense with the Genovese trade. But back to Kitchener: I really think they're going to "surprise" this season. MacInnis was huge and Tyson is better than people think. Despite losing a ton of talent they still return a few key guys, and their first line will be great. Like I said I think they find a way to take 5th or 6th in the west.

Old
09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
My thoughts are that Plymouth will be tough defensively and find a way to win games. Kitchener had a lot of good signings, I think under the new coach they find their way to 6th in the west. Barrie may be too high but I felt the need to put a team from the east up there. Belleville is a question mark. I'm unsure about North Bay because of their goaltending. And I was being modest with Erie. I didnt want to seem like a homer, plus I'm still pretty unsure about the defense with the Genovese trade. But back to Kitchener: I really think they're going to "surprise" this season. MacInnis was huge and Tyson is better than people think. Despite losing a ton of talent they still return a few key guys, and their first line will be great. Like I said I think they find a way to take 5th or 6th in the west.
Plymouth especially if Wilson sticks in the NHL will have trouble scoring goals this season
Their D is good but not great and not all that deep after Carrick and Curcurruto
From what Vellucci intends on trading most if not all 94 born guys which includes,Wilson,Curcurruto and Carrick
Do think Kingston and Sudbury are better then Barrie,I understand your concern re Erie

Old
09-10-2013, 08:40 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Really? I walk in with a Timmy's in my hand and a bottle of water in my bag every game. Occasionally munchies as well. And we're lucky in our area - we've had seatmates bring in perogies, all kinds of baked goods, and various and assorted other foods. Section 15 rules!
Wasnt section 15 JC's section?
Section 14 rules!! We have the flag bearer.

Old
09-10-2013, 09:08 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Wasnt section 15 JC's section?
Section 14 rules!! We have the flag bearer.
Well, yes... but he's on the other side of the section. We also have morons that sit down in the golds behind the visitor bench that we ignore too. Other than that, we love our section and our area in our section.

But yours isn't bad!

Old
09-10-2013, 10:07 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Well, yes... but he's on the other side of the section. We also have morons that sit down in the golds behind the visitor bench that we ignore too. Other than that, we love our section and our area in our section.

But yours isn't bad!
Oh we have our crosses to bear too. There is this one guy (about 40yrs old) in the golds that loves to yell at the opposing player in the penalty box. These are teenagers this guy is yelling at...classy. But I am sure that all sections have theirs too.

Old
09-10-2013, 10:18 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Oh we have our crosses to bear too. There is this one guy (about 40yrs old) in the golds that loves to yell at the opposing player in the penalty box. These are teenagers this guy is yelling at...classy. But I am sure that all sections have theirs too.
Years ago, I remember an older man who yelled at opposing players in the box so much that his face would turn red and I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack.

The best response was Raffi Torres, who turned around and in a patient, coddling voice told the guy to calm down, everything was okay, settle down (with hand motions). It was brilliant - a 19-year old kid completely outclassed an "adult".

Old
09-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Crottenham

A really good article in today's Toronto Sun on David Clarkson and the two Ranger coaches he credits most with his development....

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/10...to-maple-leafs

Old
09-11-2013, 11:29 AM
bobber

Rangers hobbling into season: From Brown

The road trip north this past weekend wasn't kind to the Kitchener Rangers.

Not only did the club drop both contests but it was hit with a bunch of injuries. A host of players were missing from practice today.

* First round pick Mike Davies is out for a couple of weeks and questionable for the home opener Sept 20 against Saginaw. You know it's bad when the team is saying it's an "upper body" injury.

* Forward Mason Kohn is week to week with an ankle injury.

* Ryan MacInnis remains out with a hip issue. Though, his absence, I'm told, is just precautionary at this time.

* Blueliner Doug Blaisdell has a bruised foot, but it looks like he'll be back at practice Wednesday.

* Ty Learn (hip) was back on the ice after missing the duo of weekend games

Old
09-11-2013, 11:33 AM
bobber

Players trickling home: From Brown

NHL prospect tournaments are over and main camps are under way.

The Kitchener Rangers sent eight players to the pre-season events and most, if not all, should be returning to the Aud in the next week.

Forward Brent Pedersen picked up a goal in Carolina's final rookie contest but is not on the list of 48 players heading to main camp. Blueliner Max Iafrate is also en route to the Aud.

That's good news for the Rangers as the Arthur native will be one of the team's front line players this season.

Centre Radek Faksa has moved on to the Dallas Stars' main camp. So too has winger Ben Thomson with the New Jersey Devils and Matia Marcantuoni with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Defenceman Evan McEneny is also main camp bound with the Vancouver Canucks while Ben Fanelli (NY Rangers) and Justin Bailey (Buffalo Sabres) will battle NHL veterans as well.

Last edited by bobber: 09-11-2013 at 11:34 AM. Reason: deleted sentence
Old
09-13-2013, 04:56 PM
CharlieGirl

Josh Brown ‏@BrownRecord 1m
Quote:
Defenceman Jesse Young has been released by the Kitchener Rangers. He is exploring his hockey options.
I don't think I'll ever understand the way this kid was handled by the Rangers, unless there was an issue with attitude (I've never heard a peep about anything, for the record).

Old
09-13-2013, 05:36 PM
NoThreat

Quote:
Josh Brown ‏@BrownRecord 1m

I don't think I'll ever understand the way this kid was handled by the Rangers, unless there was an issue with attitude (I've never heard a peep about anything, for the record).
Agreed. Didn't he see a little bit of time and show fairly well as a 16 year old? Or was that as a 17 year old? Either way, since I first heard of him and saw him, it seemed like he was being penciled in for a pot somewhere soon down the line. Provided there are no attitude problems (and like you, I've never heard anything to suggest it), I feel bad for this kid. I feel like he definitely could have been a player, if not in Kitchener, at least somewhere in the O.

Old
09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
BenchedGuy

Ben and Evan are returning from NHL camps and should be in the lineup for opening night Friday.

With that said, which D get cut/reassigned?
I would think Logan Schmidt would be one of them, but for me the next is a tough choice. Hora has impressed me, seems to quietly get the job done.

Also, anyone guessing the C and A's?

Closed Thread