HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Markus Naslund

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Hi-wayman

vCash: 500
Markus Naslund

If the NHL returns next season, Naslund will be a group III UFA. Do you think he will:

1. Retire from pro-hockey & stay in Sweden.
2. Re-sign with Vancouver (Canucks will expect Naslund to take a major pay cut).
3. Sign with Colorado so he and Forsberg can play together again.
4. Sign with the Ducks if Burke becomes the Duck's GM (Naslund highly respects Brian Burke)
5. Sign with the team that offers the most.
6. Sign with the team he thinks will win the Cup
7. Sign with a team filled with young stars

Last edited by Hi-wayman: 05-31-2005 at 12:39 AM.
Old
05-30-2005, 11:50 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

He'll re-sign with Vancouver if he returns to the NHL.

Forsberg will sign with Colorado if he returns to the NHL.

I don't think Forsberg and Naslund will make a collaborative effort to play for the same NHL team.

It's either 1 or 2. I know if he retires from NHL hockey, he is retiring altogether, because he's retired from playing hockey in Sweden. If he doesn't retire altogether, he will re-sign with the Canucks. I'd deconstruct all the rest if anyone objects.

Old
05-31-2005, 12:18 AM
Sens4Cup

Sens

I think he'll sign with the Sens so he can play on a line with Alfredsson. Actually that's more of a dream.

I think he'll resign with the Canucks, he probably won't take much of a pay cut as he was already paid substantially less than many other PPG+ guys. Money doesn't seem to matter as much to him as it does to other guys. Though like many players, towards the end of his career, if the Canucks aren't really on the cusp of winning a cup, he may try to find a team for a short time that could fulfill that(ie Ottawa, dare I dream).

As far as I can tell, his salary won't be a problem for the Canucks also, as before adding in his salary, they have 38 milllion committed, before a rollback. After the rollback, they'd be around 29 million, and the cap will likely be above or around 40 million, so unless he wants more than 11 million they shouldn't have a problem signing him for 6 or 6.5 million.

Old
05-31-2005, 12:22 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

For goodness sakes, its MarKus!!!!!!!! This irkes meeeee.

Old
05-31-2005, 12:36 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Cup
I think he'll sign with the Sens so he can play on a line with Alfredsson. Actually that's more of a dream.

I think he'll resign with the Canucks, he probably won't take much of a pay cut as he was already paid substantially less than many other PPG+ guys. Money doesn't seem to matter as much to him as it does to other guys. Though like many players, towards the end of his career, if the Canucks aren't really on the cusp of winning a cup, he may try to find a team for a short time that could fulfill that(ie Ottawa, dare I dream).

As far as I can tell, his salary won't be a problem for the Canucks also, as before adding in his salary, they have 38 milllion committed, before a rollback. After the rollback, they'd be around 29 million, and the cap will likely be above or around 40 million, so unless he wants more than 11 million they shouldn't have a problem signing him for 6 or 6.5 million.
Markus's last contract was for $5.6 mil/year. I think the most the Canucks will offer him this time is $4 mil/year unless he signs for over 3 years plus option.

Old
05-31-2005, 12:39 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
yeah, it's either retire all together or stay with Vancouver I think. It's just bad karma when a team captain walks out on his team. Besides, it's not like Vancouver isn't a contender. Assuming Bertuzzi is back, he's got as good a shot with the Canucks as any team (that could afford him) to win a cup

Old
05-31-2005, 12:41 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman
Markus's last contract was for $5.6 mil/year. I think the most the Canucks will offer him this time is $4 mil/year unless he signs for over 3 years plus option.
really? that seems awfully low, even with a new CBA. He's been a top-5 offensive player in the league for a few years now, and he's the captain to boot

Old
05-31-2005, 12:50 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I could see the Kings making a run for him. We have an awful lot of money to throw around. Plus he'd get to play with a budding young star in Frolov.

Old
05-31-2005, 01:01 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Baslund will go back to Vancouver. I don't think Forsberg will go anywhere besides Colorado and that's an iffy proposition for Markus to follow, not to mention capology.

Old
05-31-2005, 01:42 AM
RoyIsALegend*

#2.

Old
05-31-2005, 02:34 AM
salty justice

sounds good to me kangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I could see the Kings making a run for him. We have an awful lot of money to throw around. Plus he'd get to play with a budding young star in Frolov.

Old
05-31-2005, 03:18 AM
Zoo

He shall return to the burgh #29 !!

Old
05-31-2005, 03:20 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
How would this option be more appealing than any of:

- Resign with Vancouver, remain captain and continue the progress of a franchise that developed him as an elite NHL talent.

- Sign with Colorado, play with Peter Forsberg, have a legitimate chance at winning a first Stanley Cup in his career.

- Retire and go back home to lovely Sweden.

I fail to see how playing for the Los Angeles Kings and playing with a 'budding young star in Frolov' would be at all appealing.

Old
05-31-2005, 06:01 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1599
If he stays in the NHL it will be with the Nucks

but right now I say it is a 50/50 chance

Old
05-31-2005, 06:17 AM
Kimi

I'd love number four. A first line of Sykora, Fedorov and Naslund would be very nice. I can see the Ducks wanting him if he is an UFA, we do have a hole at LW on the first line. That is, if we don't have a team full of rookies and that.

Old
05-31-2005, 07:59 AM
mydnyte

He'll do the same as every other 'professional' sign for the most money offered, and say 'I think this team has a solid group and a good chance to win the cup'

Old
05-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte
He'll do the same as every other 'professional' sign for the most money offered, and say 'I think this team has a solid group and a good chance to win the cup'
If you think that is something Naslund would consider doing, then you don't know his character very well.

I'd agree that it is about a 50/50 chance whether Naslund returns to the Canucks or stays at home in Sweden. Although, I have heard reports that Naslund has said that he is done playing for the SEL, so if he doesn't return to the NHL, his professional hockey days may be over.

But if Bertuzzi is re-instated in time for the next NHL season, I can see Naslund coming back for at least one more season, at least to help out his buddy, and to have one more "crack at it".

Old
05-31-2005, 08:50 AM
Coder

As far as retirement goes, he's said that he'll never play in the Swedish League again. If he retires it'll be definite and he's still a bit young to just retire from hockey.

My bet is Vancouver again, with a no-trade clause.

Old
05-31-2005, 09:30 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

If Naslund signs with another team it'd be a huge shock. Most canuck fans that have followed him - and being canuck fans, hung on his every word since he started with the canucks - will tell you that's just not Naslund.

He is the same player that took less than market value to sign a long term deal to remain in Vancouver... the same guy that has already said that there isn't another team in the NHL he could see himself playing on.

It'd be a much bigger shock that he signs elsewhere, than just retires. And retirement isn't out of the question.... I was shocked when Loob announced his retirement from the NHL... and I thought he was too young to do so. He was 29 and just won the Cup with the Flames.

Naslund's a mature person though, and a mature family man... I could understand him just wanting to live his life now with his family in his hometown. He's made enough money, and this just isn't an issue anymore, and no doubt can take on a career after hockey - in the Swedish hockey world - whenever he wants.... he's said before that he wanted his kids to grow up in Sweden, and now that they've started school, it's that much harder to take them out and move back to NA.

But if they do decide to move back - what makes more sense? moving his family to a new city, with kids who have been going to school in Sweden, after growing up before that in Vancouver - or moving back to the city they called home for the last 9 yrs?

If he comes back to the NHL, it will be in Vancouver... that's where he and his family are most comfortable.

Going for the biggest dollar isn't Naslund.... that's what makes him the person he is.

Old
05-31-2005, 09:56 AM
OlliMackBjugStud

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
really? that seems awfully low, even with a new CBA. He's been a top-5 offensive player in the league for a few years now, and he's the captain to boot
well, he isnt really that good, nor a very effective captain ... he gets points, woopdee doo. thats why he is not paid as much as the best in the league.

dr

Old
05-31-2005, 09:58 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
well, he isnt really that good, nor a very effective captain ... he gets points, woopdee doo. thats why he is not paid as much as the best in the league.

dr
and you've been on the "get rid of Naslund" bandwagon for the longest time...

must be lonely when you're all on your own

Old
05-31-2005, 10:11 AM
mydnyte

i dont know any team that wouldnt want him ...I thought he had great potential when he was in Pitt. and he developed into an outstanding player.

Old
05-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi-wayman

As a Canuck fan, obviously I want to see Naslund back with the Canucks, but I started this post because I am starting to see some possible disturbing changes to what we knew as the NHL & North American professional hockey in general.

Naslund, and every other player will be coming back to a radically different NHL and a radically different attitude from hockey fans than what they had prior to the lockout. Player loyalties will likely change because the professional hockey climate & fan will not likely reciprocate the loyalty previously awarded the players before. Local fan support of Linden is a good example now, just because he's the figurehead of the players association to many fans.

Another consideration to think about is whether the Canucks management, or more important the ownership, wants Naslund back. Even though Naslund may be willing to sign with the Canucks, it takes two sides to agree to a contract. You must remember that this is the same ownership that rode Brian Burke out of town after Burke built the team into a winning, community supportive and ecomomically viable team. Ownership may feel they can do just as well economically with much less expensive alternate players and I have never trusted ownership since they quashed Grezky coming to the Canucks by demanding a deadline that Wayne sign by.

I believe that enough time has past due the loss of this season that many UFA's & RFA's will no longer have the ties they felt to their old team and be willing to move to a team that they feel will advance their hockey career. That may or may not be the team that offers the most money, but may be a team they feel more comfortable playing with. Many ownerships may also be willing to drop expensive players and start rebuilding as they may feel they have to start rebuilding a fan base and think new, younger & cheaper players will be just as effective to that new fan base reconstruction.

Old
05-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Ola

For good and bad Näslund is a really special person. My hunch is that he won't even consider moving from Vancouver. Though the Bertuzzi incident could have messed things up. But I don't think so.

I also heard a report when Näslund was in Sweden and there were some talk about taxes ect.(Näslund didn't play more then half the season so that he would avoid taxes in sweden). The report said that Näslund had a fortune somewhere between 125-150 million USD. It sounds insane but I belive the numbers came from the IRS so... Forsberg had somewhere around 70 and he must have earned a ton more money then Näslund but you never know with investments and stuff. Tough my point is that if that number is true I hardly see him moving somewhere else just for a few million if he likes it in Vancouver.

Old
05-31-2005, 10:59 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=143700

I doubt Näslund plays in the SEL anymore.

Closed Thread