HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

3rd Line With Bolland And Kulemin

Old
07-19-2013, 03:58 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

vCash: 500
3rd Line With Bolland And Kulemin

Seems like Bolland and Kulemin are locks to be 2/3 of our shutdown 3rd line. I'm really excited to see these two guys teamed up. They both have such good 2-way ability, being able to shut down opponents and chip in with offense. Especially since our third line in the past has been skilled guys who don't belong there Want to get some other peoples thoughts on them.

How good do you think Bolland and Kulemin will play together?
How hard will they be to play against?
What stats do you expect from each?
And who do you think wins the job as the third man on that line (being one of the spots open in camp)?

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:01 PM
The K Man

I really think McClement should take the 3rd spot on that line, would make a real good shutdown choice and would be perfect for Carlyle. Also gives 2 decent faceoff men in case on gets kicked out. Carlyle seemed to love to have 2 C's in defensive zone faceoffs anyways in case of that. McClement gets wasted on the 4th line anyway IMO.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:09 PM
PuckMagi

i have a strange feeling that our 3rd line is going to have the most points after the first 10 games.

PuckMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Liminality

I think or at least hope they're going to be very, very effective. Kulemin and Bolland are hard on the puck carriers and I think Carlyle is going to be in love with that line.

Maybe 10-15 goals each?

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Quares27

Carlyle's a big fan of McClement so if they're going to go with a shutdown line (and considering that's normally Bolland's role and Kulemin had the highest quality of competition in the NHL last season I assume they will) then McClement will surely be on it.

They're also a legitimate threat to pot goals, possibly even moreso than our 3rd line last year with Mac-Grabo-Frattin considering the first 2 were bad and Frattin didn't score in 20 games after he came back from his injury and was off Kadri's line. I think Kulemin and Bolland can put up 15-25-40 (maybe more) and McClement can put up 10-20-30 away from the fighters.

Last edited by Quares27: 07-19-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Quares27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:17 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

McClement-Bolland-Kulemin

Could be a fantastic 3rd line

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:20 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
I still think Clarkson and Kulemin will switch lines.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:20 PM
wulfio*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The K Man View Post
I really think McClement should take the 3rd spot on that line, would make a real good shutdown choice and would be perfect for Carlyle. Also gives 2 decent faceoff men in case on gets kicked out. Carlyle seemed to love to have 2 C's in defensive zone faceoffs anyways in case of that. McClement gets wasted on the 4th line anyway IMO.
the 4th line is only a waste when you have the archaic perception of the 4th line being the goon line. orr/mclaren only play 5-6 minutes a game(if they are even dressed). the rest play 12+ minutes usually. There's no reason there can't be a young talented guy or 2 on the 4th line, and the hot hand can be double shifted to be used with them.

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:28 PM
BertCorbeau
Hellloooo!!!

Having Bolland on a checking line versus Detroit will be good .. Sneaky pickup in that regard, Bolland will have experience handling the Wings players already

He, Kule, and McClement will be a great shutdown line ... Having Ashton on there or D'Amigo is solid too .. Will be an excellent cycling line with scoring ability, probably the best cycling line the Leafs have had in recent memory

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:39 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
I still think Clarkson and Kulemin will switch lines.
most likely you are right. Carlyle would probably like to have at least one defensively responsible player on that 2nd line: Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 04:39 PM
The K Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfio View Post
the 4th line is only a waste when you have the archaic perception of the 4th line being the goon line. orr/mclaren only play 5-6 minutes a game(if they are even dressed). the rest play 12+ minutes usually. There's no reason there can't be a young talented guy or 2 on the 4th line, and the hot hand can be double shifted to be used with them.
That's what I mean, based on Carlyle from last year there's gonna be 2 goons on the 4th line who can barely play NHL hockey. McClement can contribute offensively and having him play between those 2 is a waste.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Baba Ganoush

really hoping McClement is moved to the wing, only so that he's no longer playing on the 4th line.

in reality, Lupul, JVR, Clarkson and Kulemin are all interchangeable depending on chemistry, balance and whatever look Carlisle is going for against certain teams.

could play McC/Bolland/Kule as a shutdown line against "one line" type of teams. could play Clarkson with Bolland to form a nasty checking/energy line. could play Clarkson with Kessel, or Kadri for some insulation/protection. etc... nice to have some options for sure.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Hawaiinleaf

4th line..ideally 4 players and rotate 1 in and out

MCLAREN
ORR
COLBORNE
??????

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Blaylock38
Bleeds Blue & White

Quote:
I agree, I think adding McClement, who RC really seemed to trust shores up a pretty solid checkibg line, that is hard to play against, quick and can score if need be.

I also like the potential of Colbourne playing the 4th line, I know some people don't like the idea or feel it might bury him, but the RC moves player up and down in spots, I think he will still get some chances and can motivate him to climb the depth chart, plus his size and speed on the 4th with the 2 heavyweights, gives the line a nice mix of size and skill,

Blaylock38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:08 PM
wulfio*

Quote:
That's what I mean, based on Carlyle from last year there's gonna be 2 goons on the 4th line who can barely play NHL hockey. McClement can contribute offensively and having him play between those 2 is a waste.
but those goons don't always dress at the same time. and they only play 5-6 minutes a game. which mcclement plays much more than 5-6 minutes a game...

wulfio* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 06:10 PM
agropop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

Looks great on paper, 3 good sticks, great puck pursuit, choked up passing lanes, and a little sandpaper from 'the rat'...

I like it

agropop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:

All three are offensive black holes and would not deter other lines at all.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
Seems like Bolland and Kulemin are locks to be 2/3 of our shutdown 3rd line. I'm really excited to see these two guys teamed up. They both have such good 2-way ability, being able to shut down opponents and chip in with offense. Especially since our third line in the past has been skilled guys who don't belong there Want to get some other peoples thoughts on them.

Quote:
How good do you think Bolland and Kulemin will play together?
I'm thinking very well. While Bolland, Dave is also a pretty vocal guy and screams-a-lot, he also has that silent killer type in him. So relating to Kulemin is easy there. They both will stay quiet at times and just play, hit, work, demolish. It'll work.

Quote:
How hard will they be to play against?
Very hard. The whole line of ours will be one of the toughest lines to play against in hockey. It's clear to me already. These guys are like robots at times. Intimidating to play against even, they work so hard.

Quote:
What stats do you expect from each?
Something like Bolly: 11+15=26. Many hits. Aggressive minded game and whole lot of going on. Many people will lose their minds.
Kuli like: 12+14=26. Many hits and work.
Quote:
And who do you think wins the job as the third man on that line (being one of the spots open in camp)?
Maybe they go with McClement yeah. It would be the best shutdown line in the world. Wise, hard working erotic men.
Answers above inside the post.

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:34 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranos View Post
Answers above inside the post.
Read your last answer.

"Erotic men"?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:42 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Read your last answer.

"Erotic men"?

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Steve

Quote:

I agree this would be a GREAT shutdown line, but we would follow that up with the worst 4th line in the league (by a mile)

Orr - someone - McLaren

Even if "someone" is named Crosby this line would be awful. Although Orr and McLaren are useful in Carlyle's system they can't hold a puck too long. Passing, skating and shooting aren't exactly their top skills. I think we need someone who can Skate, win faceoffs and bail them out (ie McClement)

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:52 PM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
All three are offensive black holes and would not deter other lines at all.
I wouldn't go that far. We had Mr no-goals-in-20-games and the King of Inconsisteny occupying some of spots last season. I can't possibly imagine how this trio, assuming they stay healthy, could not significantly improve on the team.

I don't even care all that much whether they score or not. Especially with the way Carlyle will utilize them. Who knows? Maybe a little mean streak will rub off on Kulie.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Mr Scarface*

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Read your last answer.

"Erotic men"?
Oh, sorry about that there. I'm a bit drunk and we just watched a movie

Mr Scarface* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Pyromaniac3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evaBlue View Post
I wouldn't go that far. We had Mr no-goals-in-20-games and the King of Inconsisteny occupying some of spots last season. I can't possibly imagine how this trio, assuming they stay healthy, could not significantly improve on the team.

I don't even care all that much whether they score or not. Especially with the way Carlyle will utilize them. Who knows? Maybe a little mean streak will rub off on Kulie.
I don't even care if they don't score a lot. I just want them to be the best shut down line in the league capable of shutting down Crosby, Stamkos, etc.

I do hope they get 20-25 pts each.

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 09:49 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
We saw McClement playing a lot less on that line as the playoffs went by. Instead, JVR was being used, and remember, Bolland spent most of his time with Patrick Kane and Patrick Sharp. These guys are not Kulemin or McClement so treating Bolland like Grabovski is just going to be a huge waste.

We should be utilizing Bolland as in Chicago. That Duck-style shut down produced as much as the first line during the playoffs, and was quite short-lived as well. The Penner - Getzlaf - Perry line was a sheltered solution, but it was always produced a line matching challenging due to their physicality even when scoring.

A good shut down like is the Bergeron, Zetterberg counterpart. I don't see how this line is even respectable. If anything, their minutes will have to be severely curtailed. Instead, we'll have to be ensuring our scoring lines do all the work much like Pittsburgh. Our checking line wll

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote