HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dallas Stars 2013 draft preview

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
  #1
HF Article
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 12,508
vCash: 500
Dallas Stars 2013 draft preview


Upheaval was required after the Dallas Stars failed to clinch a playoff berth for the fifth consecutive season. General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk fell on the sword despite a plethora of in-season moves that unloaded roster players. Long-time Red Wings Assistant GM Jim Nill came in and dispatched Head Coach Glen Gulutzan as well.



The Stars are in a state of flux, but the future looks bright. They have a terrific pool of prospects and previous management added some ready or near-ready defensive prospects – a primary need for the organization going forward. Next up, the organization will address their dearth down the middle.… read more



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 07:55 PM
  #2
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 26,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
The Stars lacked depth on defense and that caused everyone to play “up” a spot or even a pairing. They relied heavily on rookie standout Brenden Dillon to mind the fort which is not usually a quality of a playoff team. Depth fixtures Stephane Robidas and Trevor Daley can only do so much to stave off defeat before the law of averages gets to them. Alex Goligoski has not been the puck-moving savior that the Stars were hoping when they dealt James Neal and Matt Niskanen for him in 2011. As a result, the Stars brought in veteran Sergei Gonchar to help matriculate the puck up the ice and help ease some of the tension. He will also be a good role model, stylistically, for recent additions Joe Morrow and Kevin Connauton.
Had to read this paragraph a few times to understand what was being said.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:16 PM
  #3
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,003
vCash: 500
The HF staff draft produced the same results as the HF Team Board draft.

If Dallas walks away with Wenneberg and Petan, I'd be very happy.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
  #4
MB94
@MBFarina94
 
MB94's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,373
vCash: 500
Petan is the guy I really want with Bostons 1st

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2013, 08:39 PM
  #5
usefulfiction
Registered User
 
usefulfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: McKinney, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 609
vCash: 500
First time I've read anything about Petan.... Yo quiero!!

usefulfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 03:07 AM
  #6
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,719
vCash: 500
The more I hear about Petan the more I think he really is a perfect pick at 29th. It's not a historically advantageous place to draft and this kid has that boom or bust feeling to him, but I think he'd be a great risk for this team. I wonder how he compares to guys like Grimaldi and Schroeder in terms of pure skill. His numbers are crazy.

The last few years I've felt let down by our first rounders. Every time we draft one they seem to have a down year or a lateral one the year after. None of them have exploded for a huge season to be pumped about later. Faksa has been a disappointment so far, I would say. I hope that one of the two guys we pick decides to just go crazy and give us a bluechip prospect to be truly excited about. It has been a while.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:26 PM
  #7
piqued
Registered User
 
piqued's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 28,522
vCash: 3722
You might say Ritchie had just that type of season, granted he wasn't a 1st rounder. I'm not sure how much that matters after the fact as long as someone does it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 07:55 PM
  #8
MetalGodAOD*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,978
vCash: 500
Oleksiak as well. He's a lot more highly valued after this season than when he left Juniors.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
  #9
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
Oleksiak as well. He's a lot more highly valued after this season than when he left Juniors.
IDK ... he was very respected after that junior year. Played a shutdown role at WJC, and he was a key cog in a big playoff run for Niagara.

People on our board might have over analyzed his minimal production, but he played a huge defensive role that season.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 08:23 PM
  #10
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,282
vCash: 500
I believe I'm the leader of the Nic Petan fan club. And this is not the type of player I normally like...but this is a boatload of skill and skating to pass up with a second first round pick.

In the internal discussion here at HF, he was one of my alternate choices for 10th. When I came up again and saw he wasn't picked, I scratched off Shea Theodore from Seattle and put in Petan...he's Patrick Kane lite, IMO.

Let's just see how (much more) stupid I'll look in five years...

__________________
http://twitter.com/MichaelFarkasHF

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 09:07 PM
  #11
txomisc
Registered User
 
txomisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 8,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I believe I'm the leader of the Nic Petan fan club. And this is not the type of player I normally like...but this is a boatload of skill and skating to pass up with a second first round pick.

In the internal discussion here at HF, he was one of my alternate choices for 10th. When I came up again and saw he wasn't picked, I scratched off Shea Theodore from Seattle and put in Petan...he's Patrick Kane lite, IMO.

Let's just see how (much more) stupid I'll look in five years...
how would you compare him skillwise to guys like schroeder and grimaldi

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 10:53 PM
  #12
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 16,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
IDK ... he was very respected after that junior year. Played a shutdown role at WJC, and he was a key cog in a big playoff run for Niagara.

People on our board might have over analyzed his minimal production, but he played a huge defensive role that season.
Yeah but he basically duplicated his offensive production of his last junior season in his first AHL season. I'm loads higher on him now for proving he can do it at that level.

I don't have anything to base it on because most defensemen of his size and skill set usually don't reach their ultimate potential, but I'm guardedly optimistic hat he can be that whole package - huge, long reach, defensive monster, with some hands and high enough hockey IQ to be a legitimate offensive contributor.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:08 PM
  #13
BigG44
Registered User
 
BigG44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Yeah but he basically duplicated his offensive production of his last junior season in his first AHL season. I'm loads higher on him now for proving he can do it at that level.

I don't have anything to base it on because most defensemen of his size and skill set usually don't reach their ultimate potential, but I'm guardedly optimistic hat he can be that whole package - huge, long reach, defensive monster, with some hands and high enough hockey IQ to be a legitimate offensive contributor.
My only point was based on his accomplishments in one year of junior, he should have earned a ton of respect. I got the impression Metal was saying it took him a year before he started catching people's eye. That probably is correct since it takes numbers usually for most people to notice, but Oleksiak's OHL season was very impressive. I agree with you that this year earned even more faith and admiration from the fan base.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
  #14
MetalGodAOD*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,978
vCash: 500
I thought I remember Oleksiak having a meh Junior season until he was traded? I could be wrong.

MetalGodAOD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:12 PM
  #15
glovesave_35
Name
 
glovesave_35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 16,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My only point was based on his accomplishments in one year of junior, he should have earned a ton of respect. I got the impression Metal was saying it took him a year before he started catching people's eye. That probably is correct since it takes numbers usually for most people to notice, but Oleksiak's OHL season was very impressive. I agree with you that this year earned even more faith and admiration from the fan base.
I guess what I mean is that plenty of NHL defensive defensemen have seasons of 45+ points in juniors. Him putting up 33 in 60 as a 20 year old in the AHL is a damn sight more impressive. I'm a rung below giddy.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:19 PM
  #16
FrailSwan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: I have lost my home
Country: United States
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I guess what I mean is that plenty of NHL defensive defensemen have seasons of 45+ points in juniors. Him putting up 33 in 60 as a 20 year old in the AHL is a damn sight more impressive. I'm a rung below giddy.
And not only in a first year, but also on a team that was full of spares.

FrailSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:47 PM
  #17
TrillMike
Registered User
 
TrillMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I guess what I mean is that plenty of NHL defensive defensemen have seasons of 45+ points in juniors. Him putting up 33 in 60 as a 20 year old in the AHL is a damn sight more impressive. I'm a rung below giddy.
That was quite impressive. Let's hope it translates!

TrillMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 11:48 PM
  #18
Cin
Eurosnob.
 
Cin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,782
vCash: 500
Could Petan be the massive early pick nobody sees coming? From the sound of it I wouldn't be too surprised.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.