HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

chara's role

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 10:54 AM
Don Draper

vCash: 500
chara's role

I was just wondering what others thought of what Chara's role should be on the Sens. 2 years ago, he gave Ottawa something they really didnt have before, which was a monster on the point. He filled his role perfectly, and although his offensive numbers werent great, he arguably our best D man by the end of the season, and definitely in the playoffs. Last year, added responsibility on the powerplay, and being more an well rounded player. His offensive numbers went up (16 more points) but with doing so much more, he seemed to tire out around march. He also had a very poor playoff. My question is, do u think that chara would be at his best just playing the physical part, where he racked up 40 extra pims, or more of a finesse game, if you can call it that, that he displayed last year. I am not saying necessarily that the extra duties are what caused chara to play poorer as the season went on, but i think its a valid argument that could be made.

YR GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG SPCT PPG PPA TOI
01-02 75 10 13 23 30 156 105 9.5 4 1 22:16
02-03 74 9 30 39 29 116 168 5.4 3 14 24:57

there are other factors as well, but i thought this would make for good discussion with where our team is right now, and all the offense we have, and what might make our team better

Old
09-26-2003, 12:48 PM
gbl1p

Let's not put convenient spins to make our points sound better. What do you mean he tired out around March? Chara had an exceptional year last season, which shouldn't be downplayed by a not-so-exceptional playoff. Also, let's keep in mind that a not-so-exceptional Chara post season is by no means a "bad" performance. He seemingly wasn't the over the top physical presence he had been in the past, which turns out were in good part due to do lingering injuries - nonetheless reasons proclaimed by the man himself. Anyways, whats with the short memory?

My opinion is this: Playoff injuries or not, the last month of hockey in 02-03 played by the guy were growing pains. What he'll bring this year is even more maturity, and more of the resiliency that we've seen in the past. There is no reason to expect anything but a stronger role as our second pairing stay-at-home horse. Looking at the progression trend in Chara's play since we acquired him, I think we can expect to find him further in his niche - that being the teams physical cornerstone that can chip in for 35 points. It will run parallel with the solidification and maturity of our other young 4 (Redden, Phillips, Rachunek, Volchenkov).

Old
09-26-2003, 12:52 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I wish he'd go back to being the big, nasty Chara of 2001-2002 instead of the finesse one of last season. I'd sacrifice the offensive numbers for his physical game.

Old
09-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Don Draper

well, when i say he tired down, i would think it was pretty clear that he was not himself physically. He had one dominating performance (against colorado) whether or not that was due to the chest injury or not, since we dont know for sure, i took a different approach. Fact is, Chara was a less effective player the second half the year. He was probably a top 4-5 candidate for the norris the first half, then ended up being passed by redden when all was said and done.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:22 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
I wish he'd go back to being the big, nasty Chara of 2001-2002 instead of the finesse one of last season. I'd sacrifice the offensive numbers for his physical game.
I agree. I don't mind the offence, but we have guys that can pick up the slack. Zdena Chara in full physical mode adds a very powerful element to this team.

Closed Thread