*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2013-14 Season Thread

Old
10-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Storm21

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Domi gets 4 games
Is anyone surprised? All three other suspensions announced today were more games and less of an intent to injure minus the Erie cross check to the face. If you have ever been to an OHL game and know anything about the sport of hockey you would have to be blind not to see the preferential treatment the league bestows on the London Knights. Hunter wines on the bench gets catered to by the referees and the London hits and cheap shots after the whistle along with the acting job and drama they produce is legendary around the league. You can't fight it so, why am I surprised.

Storm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm21 View Post
Is anyone surprised? All three other suspensions announced today were more games and less of an intent to injure minus the Erie cross check to the face. If you have ever been to an OHL game and know anything about the sport of hockey you would have to be blind not to see the preferential treatment the league bestows on the London Knights. Hunter wines on the bench gets catered to by the referees and the London hits and cheap shots after the whistle along with the acting job and drama they produce is legendary around the league. You can't fight it so, why am I surprised.
I don't agree with the suspension at all, I feel it should have been closer to 10. Domi was not considered a repeat offender? Yea okay then.

But at the same time, what's done is done. Like you said, can't fight it, so might as well move on. The Storm have a big slate of games this weekend, including a re-match in London.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 03:38 PM
StormSurge9

The Storm have made it up to 3rd in the CHL rankings this week!

Old
10-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Storm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSurge9 View Post
The Storm have made it up to 3rd in the CHL rankings this week!
Which means # 1 in the OHL at least for now. This weekend is a tough three games and London will be ready come Saturday. I expect the Storm to play tough and whoever wins will have to earn it.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:46 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Which means # 1 in the OHL at least for now. This weekend is a tough three games and London will be ready come Saturday. I expect the Storm to play tough and whoever wins will have to earn it.
Owen Sound will be a good matchup as well, they sit 4th in goals scored, but has also allowed just as much. It will be a good test for the D core/whichever goalie starts (I am going to assume Mancina seeing as they have swapped each game so far)

London will be tough, just as you said.

Oshawa will come out fighting, they are probably pretty angry at how they played the last time these two met.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:07 PM
PetesFan94

@PetesOHLhockey: Overage defenseman Steven Trojanovic has been traded to the @storm_city for a 2015 3rd round draft pick. Details: http://t.co/AwYznEpKBo

PetesFan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
battfan888

I like it, price wasn't too high.
Guelph was in need of a veteran defenceman.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:33 PM
PetesFan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
I like it, price wasn't too high.
Guelph was in need of a veteran defenceman.
Good offensively, defensive game needs a lot of work.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:42 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Good offensively, defensive game needs a lot of work.
Well the top 6 is shaping up nicely. Finn/Leslie/Harpur/Baltisberger/Trajonovic/McFadden. Bauman as the 7th d, probably ends up playing a little forward as well.

My guess is now Kyle Locke is officially going to be OTB. No room for him here and probably has decent value around the league.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
PetesFan94

Quote:
Well the top 6 is shaping up nicely. Finn/Leslie/Harpur/Baltisberger/Trajonovic/McFadden. Bauman as the 7th d, probably ends up playing a little forward as well.

My guess is now Kyle Locke is officially going to be OTB. No room for him here and probably has decent value around the league.
Decent prospect, wouldn't have minded him in return we just have too many defenseman as it is.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Storm21

Quote:

Good deal, great price. Sad to see Locke go but Mike Kelly is pretty high on Locke so not sure if that's the right move or not. He hasn't panned out to be what I thought he would yet but the kid has potential. Hopefully Trajonovic is here in time for the game tonight! I haven't heard yet but my guess would be Mancina in net tonight. Let's hope another wing night :-)

Old
10-04-2013, 03:56 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Good deal, great price. Sad to see Locke go but Mike Kelly is pretty high on Locke so not sure if that's the right move or not. He hasn't panned out to be what I thought he would yet but the kid has potential. Hopefully Trajonovic is here in time for the game tonight! I haven't heard yet but my guess would be Mancina in net tonight. Let's hope another wing night :-)
Nichols is back in net tonight. I think Locke does have potential still, but if it means him going in order to upgrade somewhere else, I am all for it.

Old
10-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Storm21

Too bad about Finn and Bertuzzi missing the next two games. This changes everything tonight and omorrow in Oshawa! They should have both known better but I understand with the cheap shots that Owen Sound were throwing. Here's a thought why not trade Harpur with some draft picks for the likes of a Gaunce or Monahan? I think he takes to many penalties at the worst possible times. So far he has a real habit of putting us in a 5 on 3 situation as the second penalty and he could draw a good trade? Just a thought.

Old
10-05-2013, 07:59 AM
PetesFan94

How'd Trojanovic look

Old
10-05-2013, 11:04 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Too bad about Finn and Bertuzzi missing the next two games. This changes everything tonight and omorrow in Oshawa! They should have both known better but I understand with the cheap shots that Owen Sound were throwing. Here's a thought why not trade Harpur with some draft picks for the likes of a Gaunce or Monahan? I think he takes to many penalties at the worst possible times. So far he has a real habit of putting us in a 5 on 3 situation as the second penalty and he could draw a good trade? Just a thought.
Bertuzzi and Finn probably cost the team a point or two in the standings. The team will miss Finn especially. Yesterday was a bad game for Harpur, but I have actually quite liked his game so far.

Quote:
How'd Trojanovic look
Didn't stand out, but also didn't make any mistakes. Which is about what I had hoped for. It's tough to gauge when a guy has had no practice time with the team. He did chip in an assist on Guelph's 4th goal.

Old
10-05-2013, 04:52 PM
PetesFan94

Has Auger been a scratch a lot this season or is he hurt?

Old
10-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Has Auger been a scratch a lot this season or is he hurt?
Mono

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Storm21

Quote:
Bertuzzi and Finn probably cost the team a point or two in the standings. The team will miss Finn especially. Yesterday was a bad game for Harpur, but I have actually quite liked his game so far.

Didn't stand out, but also didn't make any mistakes. Which is about what I had hoped for. It's tough to gauge when a guy has had no practice time with the team. He did chip in an assist on Guelph's 4th goal.
I agree his skills and talent level are there, so were Pedan's but he undisciplined penalties at the worst possible times will not win you a memorial cup. Keep an eye out for those selfish penalties I think you'll be surprised. As far as London tonight, time will tell that will be a loud and crazy building to play in without two of your top guys. Especially against that line up. Hope we do well.

Old
10-05-2013, 07:49 PM
StormSurge9

Turned the game off after the 2nd, brutal reffing.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
StormLifer

Two games in a row that the reffing has been lopsided. I know Guelph deserved a majority of the penalties they got but it seemed like both OS and London got away with very similar things. Props to the guys for more than overcoming it last night but there wasn't much they could do tonight. Hard way to start a 6 game road trip but I'm sure they can pull it together.

I think if I could pick one player to trade it would actually be Garlent. I know he has talent but for me there are some consistency issues and we have lots of similar players to him that are better, more consistent and play the full 200. He is a serious liability to me on the powerplay.

StormLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
Storm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormLifer View Post
Two games in a row that the reffing has been lopsided. I know Guelph deserved a majority of the penalties they got but it seemed like both OS and London got away with very similar things. Props to the guys for more than overcoming it last night but there wasn't much they could do tonight. Hard way to start a 6 game road trip but I'm sure they can pull it together.

I think if I could pick one player to trade it would actually be Garlent. I know he has talent but for me there are some consistency issues and we have lots of similar players to him that are better, more consistent and play the full 200. He is a serious liability to me on the powerplay.
Garlent could be dealt no arguments, he may however have a no trade claus like a lot of the first round picks so not sure where that might fit. I still think we need more if we are going to challenge the powerhouse that is London this year. London is still not done loading up as well keep that in mind it's just how they do business. We would have to sell the future of our team to get to a compete level with these guys. Not sure it's worth it.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:52 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Garlent could be dealt no arguments, he may however have a no trade claus like a lot of the first round picks so not sure where that might fit. I still think we need more if we are going to challenge the powerhouse that is London this year. London is still not done loading up as well keep that in mind it's just how they do business. We would have to sell the future of our team to get to a compete level with these guys. Not sure it's worth it.
Not sure it's worth it? It's now or never. This team has the most talent it has had in years. The team will lose some major pieces next season.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:41 PM
battfan888

Nothing against Trojanovic he looked good Friday night (Didnt get to see last nights game I was at a wedding) but hearing that Zach Bell is available out there in the trade market I would have loved to see the Storm pick him up but with Bell being an OA that obviously wont happen now.

Bell not the best skater but is a very good defensive defenceman, right handed shot and probably one of the best shot blockers Brampton had in years.

Obviously I am biased being a Battalion season ticket holder the past several years but Bell could have been a great addition. But again nothing against Trojanovic, he could also become a solid edition.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Sec108

You Storm fans will be suprised how much the officiating effects the game when your playing the back to back mem cup chokers.

It just happened to us the Spits fri night in London.Were up in the 3rd and a weak slashing call gets them back into it.

Watch closely every time u play them and see who's right.

Its why they couldnt win the cup the last two times, they didnt have the ref's in their court.Maybe this year they will with it in the O.

Sec108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Storm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec108 View Post
You Storm fans will be suprised how much the officiating effects the game when your playing the back to back mem cup chokers.

It just happened to us the Spits fri night in London.Were up in the 3rd and a weak slashing call gets them back into it.

Watch closely every time u play them and see who's right.

Its why they couldnt win the cup the last two times, they didnt have the ref's in their court.Maybe this year they will with it in the O.
Not surprised at all I have mentioned before the preferential treatment the London Knights get in this league. I have also said there is nothing we can do about it other than out play them and hope for the best. I also think you are 100% right on the Cup being played in London this year and the calls will reflect that. They may not even win the league this year but they could still make sure the cup is won by them so it's a win either way.