*OFFICIAL* Guelph Storm 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2013, 04:08 PM
StormSurge9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
Another solid performance against a very tough Stan Butler team. They give you very little room and play a very tight defensive system. It is rare that they get seven goals scored against them. Guelph are tough to stop. Three goals from the defence. Bring on London. Love this team. Great crowd tonight.
My question is, can anyone stop this offence?

"It took the Guelph Storm one period to figure out the trap and one more to tear it to shreds." - Tony Saxon's article.

This team has been held to less than 5 goals just 4 times this season. 2 of those times the team still ended up winning the game. Kosmachuk and McGinn are tied with Erie's Dane Fox for the goal scoring lead. Guelph has 6 of the top 40 scorers in the OHL. 8 guys currently at a PPG.

Crowd was electric last night, hoping for more tomorrow afternoon!

Old
10-26-2013, 06:17 PM
aresknights

London's in tough tomorrow for sure.
Might not be long before the Storm and or Otters have a lead to big for home ice come PO.

Old
10-26-2013, 06:40 PM
Stormbringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
London's in tough tomorrow for sure.
Might not be long before the Storm and or Otters have a lead to big for home ice come PO.
We all know, it is not how you start, it is how you end. London will be a different team come Mem Cup time. But Sunday afternoon, Guelph will pound them to submission.

Old
10-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Stormbringer

Great win against a very chippy, mouthy London team. Congrats to Guelph for keeping their cool and showing great discipline. London was so desperate they resorted to diving to get some calls which actually worked a few times.
London's defence will need some reinforcements. They looked bad especially Austin. Except for that great shot and goal to end the game, he was a pilon most of the game. Basso had some moments, but did not play most of the third. Not sure why but he was also not very good. McCarron, what is the hype?? This guy cannot skate and is actually a liability. Maybe he is a good fighter? Wait Bauman hung in well so that cannot be it. This guy is a project at best and I cannot believe the Hunters are believers.
Domi, Dvorak and Horvat were all good.
Regardless, Guelph is looking very good to date. They seem to be unstoppable offensively. Two late goals by London made the score respectable. Nichols was outstanding.

Old
10-27-2013, 09:40 PM
battfan888
Podcaster

Great game by the Storm today, it just seems like this offense cannot be stopped with 79 goals in 15 games, that's an average of 5.2 goals a game, in todays OHL that's insane!
Storm are 8-0 on home ice and have been held to less than 5 goals at home just twice, the 4-3OT win on opening night vs Erie and the 5-4 shootout win vs Niagara which is really 4 goals.

Nichols was great again today, I didn't think we was spectacular, just very solid, those last two goals, especially the last one made me cringe a bit but in a game that was 7-2 just a couple minutes before the Storm had clearly let off the gas.

One thing that was a bit frustrating today is that the Storm kept trying to do very long bonzi passes that were constantly getting picked off, especially in the last half of the 1st period and was a direct result of London's 1st goal. While London isn't exactly playing top caliber hockey at the moment they aren't the 67's or the Battalion the Storm have recently faced, cant be doing that type of stuff against a talented team.

As good as the Storm are playing right now there is still lots of room for improvement, all we can hope for is the boys just keep getting better, you know regular hockey answers.
But at the moment the Storm are flying.

Solid weekend, and I am going to be getting much fatter with all the chicken wings they keep providing us!

Old
10-28-2013, 09:43 AM
StormSurge9

Great win, i'm happy to see the Sleeman Centre rocking game after game!

I do almost feel bad for Nichols, those last 2 goals shouldn't have happened, the team in front of him clearly mailed it in already. He played a great game, especially in the 2nd period when some so-so calls went against Guelph.

Scratching Locke, putting Bauman on D, and adding Craievich up front seemed to pay off nicely. It was great to Adam pot his first two of what I believe will be many goals at the OHL level!

The best part of the game was the linesman making the London player go get the puck after he shot it down the ice after a whistle! Also, hearing our fans boo Domi every time he touched the puck after his silly diving.

I do agree about McCarron, I've seen him live now twice here in Guelph, and watched the London game on TV. He looks very average.

Trojanovic was a great pickup, that kid just plays a solid all around game. Also, McGinn kept his streak of a point in every game so far.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Stormbringer

Agree with all of your comments. Trojanovic had a great weekend with 6 points. He seems to love playing on his new team. Hopefully, he keeps it up. This may sound crazy, but at this point I love the make-up of this team and would not make any changes. We will see how I feel come January. They just seem to be getting better.

Old
10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormSurge9 View Post

Agree on Fabbri though, with the way he is playing. The upgrade probably isn't worth the price.
Fabbri should be an untouchable. Fabbri does not showboat or hot dog, he works his *** off, is tough as nails these types of things make u a leader and a great example to follow. Meat and potatoes player with skill, plays bigger than he is. Nice mix of playmaker and finisher with his wrist shot. He does everything and is not scared to block shots, plays with heart. Top 10 pick if he was 6-1. He is a smaller version of Sam Bennett to me.

Old
10-28-2013, 06:54 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Fabbri should be an untouchable. Fabbri does not showboat or hot dog, he works his *** off, is tough as nails these types of things make u a leader and a great example to follow. Meat and potatoes player with skill, plays bigger than he is. Nice mix of playmaker and finisher with his wrist shot. He does everything and is not scared to block shots, plays with heart. Top 10 pick if he was 6-1. He is a smaller version of Sam Bennett to me.
Yep, reminds me of a former Guelph Storm captain that went on to have a pretty good career so far with the Rangers, Ryan Callahan.

Both guys had VERY similar rookie seasons. Fabbri is on pace to match Callahan's 2nd season as well (PPG), Callahan led the Storm to the Memorial Cup that year and we shall see if Fabbri can do the same.

Old
10-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Stormbringer

Only Laughton or Gaunce could make a great impact up front. However, if you have to give up Fabbri or Garlent you are better but is it worth it. Will either guy, give you a better chance to win the Mem Cup?? Probably yes but it is a heavy price to pay regarding the future of this team. Future hit for better chance now. Tough call.
My vote, is stay the course. Love this team.

Old
10-30-2013, 10:01 AM
StormSurge9

Kosmachuk, Finn and McGinn all named to the Subway Super Series.

It might get mighty interesting if Kosmachuk and McGinn stay on a line together centered by Gaunce.

Old
10-30-2013, 12:45 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbringer View Post
Only Laughton or Gaunce could make a great impact up front. However, if you have to give up Fabbri or Garlent you are better but is it worth it. Will either guy, give you a better chance to win the Mem Cup?? Probably yes but it is a heavy price to pay regarding the future of this team. Future hit for better chance now. Tough call.
My vote, is stay the course. Love this team.
I agree staying the course right now, the team is playing so well, why mess with it?

Come trade deadline time, if a Gaunce/Laughton come available though I think we take it. The future is already taking a hit when we lose Kosmachuk/McGinn/Finn and potentially Leslie/Auger to the pros next season. The guys coming back are talented, but it's not a true contender. In all honesty it probably ends up as a mini-rebuild next season anyway.

My point was Fabbri is playing so well, trading him away for either of those guys isn't really an upgrade right now.

Old
10-30-2013, 07:21 PM
Stormbringer

It is definitely a "go for it year". Acquiring one of the big guns will be expensive and the future will be affected. I too would hate to mess with the chemistry. With no changes this is still a very good team. Problem is, to win the Mem Cup they will need more.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:13 AM
StormSurge9

Just. Keep. Rolling.

Guelph scores a touchdown for the 3rd straight game, and 4th in the last 5. This time, the scoring was balanced across all 3 lines. Only the 4th line (Stevens - Suter -Craievich) and defenseman Chadd Bauman failed to register a point.

Also, congrats for McFadden on his first career goal!

Also, when listening to Larry Mellott's interview with Scott Walker, it sounds like Auger and Leslie are getting close to returning. Adding more weapons to an already lethal attack.

Old
10-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Just. Keep. Rolling.

Guelph scores a touchdown for the 3rd straight game, and 4th in the last 5. This time, the scoring was balanced across all 3 lines. Only the 4th line (Stevens - Suter -Craievich) and defenseman Chadd Bauman failed to register a point.

Also, congrats for McFadden on his first career goal!

Also, when listening to Larry Mellott's interview with Scott Walker, it sounds like Auger and Leslie are getting close to returning. Adding more weapons to an already lethal attack.
While London fans are hoping to match via trades the high bar already set by Guelph. Guelph will be moving the bar higher and higher with zero cost to them.

Old
11-02-2013, 12:21 AM
mapleleaf979

The Fabbri show tonight. Who are Top 3.... 96 born or 97 born scorers in the OHl right now? Perlini, Mcdavid, Fabbri. He should be a lock for the first round and deserves more credit.

Old
11-02-2013, 10:24 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
The Fabbri show tonight. Who are Top 3.... 96 born or 97 born scorers in the OHl right now? Perlini, Mcdavid, Fabbri. He should be a lock for the first round and deserves more credit.
Been incredible all season, to bad he's likely to miss a few games. I feel a suspension coming. I was at the game but didn't see the hit, the way others were talking though, it sounds like 3-5 games.

Old
11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Stormbringer

Quote:
Been incredible all season, to bad he's likely to miss a few games. I feel a suspension coming. I was at the game but didn't see the hit, the way others were talking though, it sounds like 3-5 games.
Fabbri's pace has been lights out. He keeps his line at top speed. If you play with him you have to keep up.
Love this team. Fabbri will definitely get suspended some games.

Old
11-03-2013, 04:47 PM
Stormbringer

Another hard fought win. Sudbury really wanted this one. Third game in three days. Nice effort. But................ Guelph is just too strong in all areas. Without Fabbri you can actually see and feel the difference. Next game in London will be a revenge game for them.

Old
11-05-2013, 01:58 PM
StormSurge9

Does it normally take this long to announce suspensions?

Old
11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
EON 93
very ok poster

vCash: 400
Quote:
Does it normally take this long to announce suspensions?
Yeah they've been slow this season. Cory Genovese committed a match penalty with intent to injure on Saturday, October 19th, which carries an automatic three game suspension. We didn't find out until Friday the 25th that he got a 5 game suspension for it.

Old
11-06-2013, 03:43 PM
NHL Fanatic

Well Fabbri will gone for a while. Per Tony Saxon he got a 10 game suspension

Old
11-06-2013, 04:28 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Well Fabbri will gone for a while. Per Tony Saxon he got a 10 game suspension
I'm waiting for the video, because I still haven't seen the hit. But it still seems like another case of spin the wheel and see how many games a guy gets.

Old
11-06-2013, 05:03 PM
mikek02

Quote:
Fabbri is far from a lock in the first round. I see him going in the 35-50 range. The skill set is there, the size is not. I wouldn't even put him in the top 10 of draft eligibles from the OHL.

I am not sure I putting him in the top 3 scorers from the 96/97 birth years either. You have to look at players like McDavid (97), and Perlini (96), but what about Jared McCann (96) in the Soo, Sam Bennett (96) in Kingston, Josh Ho-Sang (96) in Windsor, and Blake Clarke (hasn't been healthy at all this season though) in North Bay (96). Even someone like Travis Konecny (97) in Ottawa; it is very impressive what he is doing on a very, very bad 67s team.

Old
11-06-2013, 05:03 PM
NHL Fanatic

The OHL gives players an opportunity to provide a letter on their point of view prior to the suspension decision. As I said previously I believe the OHL's suspension severity is based on the injured party. Yes it should be considered a factor in decision making but they go overboard sometimes.

Closed Thread