HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Couture agrees to contract extension; Rptd 5 years/$6m per

Old
06-18-2013, 04:36 PM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I didn't say he's a #1 center...though he was for the 2nd half of the season and into the playoffs, I said he puts up top line center numbers, it doesn't matter if Thornton's on the team or not...lots of good players have good players around them.

No one is going to mistake Couture for Malkin or Crosby - franchise centers/players get paid a hell of a lot more then $6mil.
It matters greatly that Thornton is on the team... Matchups matter...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:47 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
They aren't trading Marleau assuming his next contract isn't more than coutures. I don't see him ever leaving the sharks unless his game fails. He just too valuable no matter what style the team plays. Too versatile. Pavs is odd man out unless they plan to buy out havlat or trade Thornton.
We can agree to disagree. If 2014-15 salary structure becomes an issue, then (in order):

1) Trade Havlat
2) Buyout Havlat
3) Trade Boyle
4) Trade Marleau

There's no reason to trade Pavs (assuming he re-signs at a decent AAV -> max $5.5M).

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Datsyuk is one year younger than Thornton/Marleau and he got a 3 year deal worth 7.5 mill per. There's no way Thornton will go down to 5.5 mill. The best we can hope for is 6 mill probably. I'm surprised Datsyuk got a raise though.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Hatrick Marleau
#Gutless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Datsyuk is one year younger than Thornton/Marleau and he got a 3 year deal worth 7.5 mill per. There's no way Thornton will go down to 5.5 mill. The best we can hope for is 6 mill probably. I'm surprised Datsyuk got a raise though.
No. Datsyuk is 2-3 years older.

Hatrick Marleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:12 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
Datsyuk is a year older then Thornton & Marleau - the contract he just signed is a 35+ deal. DW wisely signed both of their deals to expire when they're 34.

If DW can get one (or both) of them under contract for $5-5.5 I'd consider it a minor miracle assuming their play doesn't drop off this season.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:15 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
Wait, some of us are actually complaining about $6 million AAV?

Keep in mind Couture has scored 30+ goals for us for the past three seasons (he was on pace for 35+ last year) and is pretty good defensively and in the circle.

What more can you ask for at $6 million? The only problem now is Pavelski. No way will he go for less than $5 million.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:06 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

This is a great deal for the Sharks, no complaints at all from me

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:20 PM
murdock1116

Dan Boyle is going to be the guy that either takes a huge paycut or is let go in 2014.

Im thinking Jumbo and Patty each get 6mil. And hopefully Pavs gets no more than 5.5.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:20 PM
rangerssharks414

I'm late to the party, but this is a good deal for the Sharks. It's nice to see that Logan is going to be a Shark for awhile.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:53 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
It matters greatly that Thornton is on the team... Matchups matter...
If matchups matter, Couture is currently the #1 center. Both from a Sharks' perspective and an opposition perspective. He does not yet score at an elite level, like JT in his prime.

JT (and Marleau) will not get more than Couture on his next contract. The Sharks do adhere to a salary hierarchy. For this upcoming season, Marleau will be the highest paid Shark in actual salary. JT will be getting $6mil in actual salary. The next contract will be based on a deduction from the upcoming year's salary for both JT and Marleau with the first year of their next contract being modestly lower than the last year of their current contract. All of the media fluff that has been broadcast about Couture as leader or a collective leadership is the org prepping the fanbase for the changing of the guard.

GI,
As you know the comps are based primarily on TOI and points. The guys I have for salary comps for Pavs are Ribs, Plekanec, Grabovski (check his comps at the time he signed), Kesler (high), Vermette (low). My guess is that Pavs will get an extension with a $5.25-$5.5mil AAV. I expect Couture will have a clause for his UFA years and I expect Pavelski to get a clause. My only cause for concern is that a team desperate team lacking centers and with cap space will throw a Drury like contract at Pavelski if he chooses to go UFA. It would be in Pavelski's self-interest to go UFA. I am under the impression that the Sharks want a changing of the guard that will go to Couture, Pavs as the 1-2 punch in the very near future.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:54 PM
rgb63

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Dan Boyle is going to be the guy that either takes a huge paycut or is let go in 2014.

Im thinking Jumbo and Patty each get 6mil. And hopefully Pavs gets no more than 5.5.
If Boyle goes to FA, he should easily get a $5.5-6m contract. He's better than Gonchar and Streit. Prob should be traded this year.

rgb63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:56 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
If matchups matter, Couture is currently the #1 center. Both from a Sharks' perspective and an opposition perspective. He does not yet score at an elite level, like JT in his prime.

JT (and Marleau) will not get more than Couture on his next contract. The Sharks do adhere to a salary hierarchy. For this upcoming season, Marleau will be the highest paid Shark in actual salary. JT will be getting $6mil in actual salary. The next contract will be based on a deduction from the upcoming year's salary for both JT and Marleau with the first year of their next contract being modestly lower than the last year of their current contract. All of the media fluff that has been broadcast about Couture as leader or a collective leadership is the org prepping the fanbase for the changing of the guard.

GI,
As you know the comps are based primarily on TOI and points. The guys I have for salary comps for Pavs are Ribs, Plekanec, Grabovski (check his comps at the time he signed), Kesler (high), Vermette (low). My guess is that Pavs will get an extension with a $5.25-$5.5mil AAV. I expect Couture will have a clause for his UFA years and I expect Pavelski to get a clause. My only cause for concern is that a team desperate team lacking centers and with cap space will throw a Drury like contract at Pavelski if he chooses to go UFA. It would be in Pavelski's self-interest to go UFA. I am under the impression that the Sharks want a changing of the guard that will go to Couture, Pavs as the 1-2 punch in the very near future.
do you think its possible that DW did not give a clause on pavs first contract in order to get a discount on the second?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 08:57 PM
stalockrox

Quote:

GI,
It's very likely that's the orgs concern as well. I believe they want to extend him this summer, whether or not Pavelski wants that is another question. I agree with your comps and I'd expect Pavs to get close to $5.5mil per on his next deal with the Shark...quite a bit more if he goes UFA.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:03 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Couture is a #1 center only thanks to Marleau; he'd get slaughtered by himself. By that definition, Raffi Torres was a first line winger.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
do you think its possible that DW did not give a clause on pavs first contract in order to get a discount on the second?
At the time, Pavs was not in the statistical territory to get a clause. He is now. Top 5 skaters get clauses. At worst, Pavs is the 4th forward on the Sharks and the only dman in the top 5 is Boyle.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Couture is a #1 center only thanks to Marleau; he'd get slaughtered by himself. By that definition, Raffi Torres was a first line winger.
Yeah, no.

Thereís a lot of things wrong with this country, but one of the few things still right with it is that a man can steer clear of the organized ******** if he really wants to. Itís a goddamned luxury, and if I were you, Iíd take advantage of it while you can.
-- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Kitten Mittons

Yeah, yes. Couture blocked a couple of shots on the PK once and suddenly he is Datsyuk.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#healBurish

vCash: 567
Quote:
Yeah, yes. Couture blocked a couple of shots on the PK once and suddenly he is Datsyuk.
Don't be daft.

Couture blocks way more shots than Datsyuk.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:08 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Actually if you watch, couture/marleau are very much a defensive tandem.

but every player has their assignments and wingers usually have the easiest ones on the ice.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
Don't really care about some other posters reference to Datsyuk. If you think Couture's game is where it is thanks to Marleau there's really nothing to discuss.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
Don't really care about some other posters reference to Datsyuk. If you think Couture's game is where it is thanks to Marleau there's really nothing to discuss.
I think Couture being able to handle #1 matchups has a lot to do with Marleau.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Led Zappa
Steady As She Goes

Quote:
I think Couture being able to handle #1 matchups has a lot to do with Marleau.
It would have a lot to do with a lot of players. That's why there's 3 players on a line. Even JT can't consistently run a first line with a couple scrubs and he's an elite center who CAN take over a game. He sometimes struggles with one scrub on his line.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Kitten Mittons

When it comes to defense, it's Marleau's line, not Couture's.

Old
06-18-2013, 09:23 PM
lsx

Quote:
You can't really claim top line until he does it without Thornton on the team. Right now he's a #2 center about to make $6 mil... If any on the team can elevate himself up to that its him. But it does concern me since I just don't see him as a franchise no 1 center. He's a good player and good defensively, good gaol scorer, has great potential leadership qualities... But compared to #1 centers around the league I think he falls short a little on his ability to physically take a game over. Hopefully he bulks up and continues to work on his quickness.
This.

I think people around here have their blinders on a little bit about him.

lsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Gilligans Island
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
GI,
Thanks for the comps. About what I thought on AAV. $5.25AAV / 4 or 5 yrs is my guess.

I actually think if DW plays his cards right the team will be in better shape come 2014-15 or even 2015-16 seasons. This assume the development, scouting and drafting issues get sorted out.

I think if Jumbo and Patty take deals around $5.5 - 5.75 AAV, we'll have space to go around.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote