HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

where are they now? Billy Harris

Old
06-17-2013, 10:54 PM
On Edge

vCash: 500
where are they now? Billy Harris

Billy Harris, first ever draft pick of the Islanders now in the candlemaking business in Ontario. Check out the link and click on the "Hockey Fans" link on the site. Got a kick out of this...my first favorite player on this team.

http://www.muskokacandleco.com/index.php

On Edge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:06 AM
mack809f

Loved Billy Harris

Hated the trade for Goring. We gave up Dave Lewis, a fine 2nd pairing dman, as well! Just shows what an idiot I am.

mack809f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:31 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack809f View Post
Hated the trade for Goring. We gave up Dave Lewis, a fine 2nd pairing dman, as well! Just shows what an idiot I am.
I remember feeling really bad for both of them because it just felt like this team was gonna go all the way after this move. I also remember article in Newsday when reporter who was interviewing Harris after the trade was announced making reference to his blood shot eyes and how upset he was. Had to be tough.

As much as I liked Harris, I thought it was a great deal and actually a steal. I remember thinking "Goring? Holy chit!!!"

Goring was exactly what the team needed - 2nd line center who could score (sounds familiar?) and take some pressure off the first line. Lewis was a good d-man also but even more expendable than Harris because you had Morrow from Olympic team coming on.

A great trade for this team that finally put it over the top.

Today it would be like trading Bailey and Amac for Ryan Kesler (not bad actually).

Old
06-18-2013, 08:40 AM
bluechipbonzo

Oh I didn't know Billy Harris' other name was Mike Bossy.

Did anyone read the company hockey page haha?

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Edge View Post
I remember feeling really bad for both of them because it just felt like this team was gonna go all the way after this move. I also remember article in Newsday when reporter who was interviewing Harris after the trade was announced making reference to his blood shot eyes and how upset he was. Had to be tough.

As much as I liked Harris, I thought it was a great deal and actually a steal. I remember thinking "Goring? Holy chit!!!"

Goring was exactly what the team needed - 2nd line center who could score (sounds familiar?) and take some pressure off the first line. Lewis was a good d-man also but even more expendable than Harris because you had Morrow from Olympic team coming on.

A great trade for this team that finally put it over the top.

Today it would be like trading Bailey and Amac for Ryan Kesler (not bad actually).
There was also an article from the New York Post that said the same thing about Harris with a picture of him carrying his bags with tears coming down his face.

I met Chico Resch before the Islanders Devils game at the Rock right after Thanksgiving 2 years ago and we were talking about Billy and he confirmed that a lot of his friends and teammates were concerned about him as soon as they heard that the trade happened because they knew how much being an Islander meant to him.

His being traded from Long Island was similar to being divorced from the only woman that you ever loved and the Isles winning 4 Cups right after was similar to your ex-wife winning the mega millions or powerball for 500 million a month later.

For people that have Alan Hahn's book "Birth of a Dynasty"; toward the end of the 3rd chapter there's an account by Larry Brooks about Harry being unable to leave the dressing room for over an hour after the Isles lost Game 7 to Toronto in OT moments after Mike Palmateer robbed Billy on a breakaway because he was so distraught.

Being with the Islanders meant everything to Harris and I'm glad that he's bounced back a little bit. He seemed his cheerful self in Greg Prato's book last year and I know that for a while he owned a restaurant in the Columbus Blue Jackets home arena.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 09:47 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

yea...just re-read it. did I miss something?

Old
06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
beLIever

Quote:

You mean about the Long Island Lightning Company? Original line that was given that moniker was: Gillies/Trottier/Harris

Last edited by beLIever: 06-18-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: because I can't spell
beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
lost35*

Did Billy Harris or Dave Lewis get their name on the cup or get a Ring since they played 60+ games for the Isles in in 79-80?

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beLIever View Post
You mean about the Long Island Lightning Company? Original line that was given that moniker was: Gillies/Trottier/Harris
The way it was written suggested that Harris always played with them, for all his 20 goal seasons...and Bossy, and afterthought

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:18 PM
beLIever

Quote:
The way it was written suggested that Harris always played with them, for all his 20 goal seasons...and Bossy, and afterthought
True

beLIever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 04:42 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
It's more impressive that he scored 20 goals per year even after being removed from that line.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 05:46 PM
original islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
It's more impressive that he scored 20 goals per year even after being removed from that line.
I'm glad that somebody else realized that. Harris only played on the Trottier line for 2 years. The second year with Trotts in 1976-1977, Bryan had 72 points and Harris had 67 points, only 5 less. Billy was the Isles best player in the playoffs going 7-7-14 in 12 games and getting a hat trick in Game 1 against the eventual Cup champs Montreal and an OT winner against them in Game 5. He was poised to finally achieve his potential and in the off season Mike Bossy was drafted.

In the year after Boss replaced him, Harris went from 24-43-67 to 22-38-60 despite getting minor power play time and playing the second half of the year on a line with Garry Howatt. He only dropped off 2 goals and 7 points after being off the Trottier line.

Harris played 3 years on a line with Clark Gillies and out scored him all 3 years. He never played a second with Bossy and lost all his power play time yet posted in the first year after Bossy arrived 60 points which ironically the same amount as the best year by Butch Goring as an Islander.

To put things in perspective Tavares has 112 goals in his first 4 years while Harris had four less at 108 despite playing only one of those years with Trotts. Harris' best year was 32 goals while JT's best was 31.

For people that didn't follow the team in the first year Harris 28 goals skating with career minor leaguers Dave Hudson and Germain Gagnon. When Al arrived he changed Billy's game to become a more defensive minded and complete forward. In year 3 he had to become the playmaker as they thought that Gillies was the better goal scorer. He never became the player that he should of because just like JT he put the team first.

If Bossy had been a left wing, Harris would have put up better numbers than Gillies Bourne or Tonelli as he also out scored Tonelli on the only full year they played together.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 06:40 PM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by original islander View Post
I'm glad that somebody else realized that. Harris only played on the Trottier line for 2 years. The second year with Trotts in 1976-1977, Bryan had 72 points and Harris had 67 points, only 5 less. Billy was the Isles best player in the playoffs going 7-7-14 in 12 games and getting a hat trick in Game 1 against the eventual Cup champs Montreal and an OT winner against them in Game 5. He was poised to finally achieve his potential and in the off season Mike Bossy was drafted.

In the year after Boss replaced him, Harris went from 24-43-67 to 22-38-60 despite getting minor power play time and playing the second half of the year on a line with Garry Howatt. He only dropped off 2 goals and 7 points after being off the Trottier line.

Harris played 3 years on a line with Clark Gillies and out scored him all 3 years. He never played a second with Bossy and lost all his power play time yet posted in the first year after Bossy arrived 60 points which ironically the same amount as the best year by Butch Goring as an Islander.

To put things in perspective Tavares has 112 goals in his first 4 years while Harris had four less at 108 despite playing only one of those years with Trotts. Harris' best year was 32 goals while JT's best was 31.

For people that didn't follow the team in the first year Harris 28 goals skating with career minor leaguers Dave Hudson and Germain Gagnon. When Al arrived he changed Billy's game to become a more defensive minded and complete forward. In year 3 he had to become the playmaker as they thought that Gillies was the better goal scorer. He never became the player that he should of because just like JT he put the team first.

If Bossy had been a left wing, Harris would have put up better numbers than Gillies Bourne or Tonelli as he also out scored Tonelli on the only full year they played together.

So how's the candle business goin?