Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yotes fan coming in peace. What would be the asking price for Konopka?
One of your old school logo Yotes sweaters.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:12 PM
Sideline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Zucker and Coyle for Fleury
Sold. No take backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post
If a team is willing to take on MAF's salary, they wont be giving up much to get him. He doesnt have great value right now.
If it's a pure MAF for picks deal I would agree. Not too many teams have the money and cap space to eat $5m next season regardless of the skill (or lack there of) that comes with it.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:18 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's a number of reasons this direction is bad for the Wild.

First, no, Hackett and Kuemper are not proven. Neither is Bernier. But Hackett and Kuemper were Wild-controlled assets i.e. we are not giving up anything to keep them and see what happens. Bernier would cost quite a bit to acquire, especially if Zucker is involved.

Second, you already have a starter with Backstrom. Unless he truly wants to chase money, why not get him for another couple years at $3-4m? Yes it costs $1-2m more this year, but Bernier is going to want at least that much money next year. You're getting one year of cost savings at the expense of potentially some very important prospects.

Third, the team is not anything more than a borderline playoff team this year, and Bernier doesn't fix that. Goaltending is not the issue with this team. It is defensive depth, top scoring, and scoring depth. Moving guys like Zucker and even to a lesser extent Clutterbuck makes things worse, not better. Take the best goalie in the world, whoever you think that is, even Henrik Lundqvist would not make this team a contender.

Giving up lots of assets and rolling the dice to try and get a slight upgrade in goaltending just isn't smart IMO. Low marginal improvement. The economist in me says you upgrade at the positions of greatest need. Removing a 20+ goal scorer in either Zucker or say Setoguchi or a 15-goal guy in Clutterbuck to save maybe an extra 5-10 goals per year is bad math.

IMO you stick with Kuemper and Gustafsson to see what happens, throw $3-4m at Backstrom (or else $2-3m at another option in UFA), and roll with him and Harding. You have solid starting goaltending and you can use your assets to try to improve your defensive or offensive depth. Maybe you buy out Gilbert and take a run at Briere on a 1-2 year deal to bolster your offense.

Backstrom has not been solid for the last 2 or so years. He ranked 29th in the NHL with a .909 save percentage. And 23rd with a 2.48 GAA. That is far from "solid goaltending". On top of that he has had health issues and is 35 years old. Im sorry but the reality is that he is a goalie that has been on the decline for the last 3 years after 3 great seasons in the NHL to start his career here.

Now I know your response might be well he led the league in wins. Yep he sure did with that .909 save percentage. Could you imagine how many wins we would have had with a goaltender with a .920 save percentage?? How about .922 like Bernier. Bernier alone might have stole 3-5 games(in a shortened season). Add 3-5 wins...We would have likely won our division.

Sure goaltending isnt the biggest weakness on this roster but it is far from a strong point. We need to find a way to get a top 10 starting goaltender so we can be a contender. I hope its Gustavsson or Kuemper like you say..but Bernier could be that guy. That is why I advocated going after him so hard.

PS- I aboslutely love the Briere idea!! Thats a move that would make me very happy.

Last edited by Beegoalie: 06-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old
06-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
One of your old school logo Yotes sweaters.
Tkachuk or Roenick?

Old
06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
mnwildgophers

If the price for Bernier was indeed Zucker, then I am very glad that we passed. We'll find some other way to get a goalie. I don't want to fill a hole just to create another big hole. Zucker is a huge part of the future.

Now if we traded Clutterbuck or Seto away for something, I think that would be okay.

Old
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Sounds like LA wanted either Zucker or Coyle. Sad that we didn't get him but glad we didn't trade any of those guys away.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
So this off-season, aside from the draft and some re-signings and all that, also gives Fletcher the chance to extend some contracts.

Namely, Pominville(4.5), Zucker(.83), and possibly Setoguchi(3.0).

What is everybody thinking about these guys? IMO, Zucker could potentially command between 2.0-3.0 on a transition contract to UFA years, IMO. Pominville could command a raise to the 5.5-6.5 range, and Setoguchi should get roughly the same, if not a bit of a raise to the 3.5 area.

What does everybody think? What would you guys feel comfortable with?

Other guys that could be extended(NHL level guys) include Kuemper, Rupp, Heatley, Gilbert, and Stoner.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
So this off-season, aside from the draft and some re-signings and all that, also gives Fletcher the chance to extend some contracts.

Namely, Pominville(4.5), Zucker(.83), and possibly Setoguchi(3.0).

What is everybody thinking about these guys? IMO, Zucker could potentially command between 2.0-3.0 on a transition contract to UFA years, IMO. Pominville could command a raise to the 5.5-6.5 range, and Setoguchi should get roughly the same, if not a bit of a raise to the 3.5 area.

What does everybody think? What would you guys feel comfortable with?

Other guys that could be extended(NHL level guys) include Kuemper, Rupp, Heatley, Gilbert, and Stoner.
well theres no way heatley and gilbert are getting an extension. gilbert may not even make the team in the fall if he's bought out or traded. pominville and zucker should stay and be ok contract wise. no one knows seto's future

Old
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post
Tkachuk or Roenick?
Oleg Tverdovsky

Old
06-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Happy the Wild passed on the trade. As others have stated we would have given up pieces we could not afford to.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Zucker was never on the table from the Wild's end. So I don't know why so many got worked up in the first place...

As for the deal that took place, Frattin is going to fit in real well with LA's style. Great trade for them.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
WiscMNwildfan

The Wild should dangle Pominville as trade bait since he has a year left on his contract and semi-high cap hit. Personally, I would keep Konopka and look to trade Rupp since Rupp has a higher cap hit.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscMNwildfan View Post
The Wild should dangle Pominville as trade bait since he has a year left on his contract and semi-high cap hit. Personally, I would keep Konopka and look to trade Rupp since Rupp has a higher cap hit.

Old
06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Gustafsson has been dominant in a men's league as a kid. Why don't we give him a shot?

Old
06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Gustafsson has been dominant in a men's league as a kid. Why don't we give him a shot?
A Wild prospect who dominated a men's league as a kid? Where have I heard that before?

You don't throw a rookie who's never played a game in N. America in his life into the starting tandem and hope to Christ he works out. Give him and Kuemper a chance to duke it out in Houston Iowa. I have high hopes for Gustafsson as well, but you don't just throw him into the NHL. Fletcher isn't going to rely on a rookie, whether it be Kuemper or Gustafsson, and a back-up with MS that could flare up at any moment as our tandem going into the season.

Old
06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
A Wild prospect who dominated a men's league as a kid? Where have I heard that before?

You don't throw a rookie who's never played a game in N. America in his life into the starting tandem and hope to Christ he works out. Give him and Kuemper a chance to duke it out in Houston Iowa. I have high hopes for Gustafsson as well, but you don't just throw him into the NHL. Fletcher isn't going to rely on a rookie, whether it be Kuemper or Gustafsson, and a back-up with MS that could flare up at any moment as our tandem going into the season.
Why not - these prospects have shown no warts - why not show a little confidence in them?

Also, if Hards meds work, he was signed to a 3 year deal to be the man. From what I saw in the playoffs, why not give the Masterson award winner a chance to further show his abilities?

I just find it annoying that people will trump our goaltending depth as an asset, then look elsewhere when an aging Finn's contract expires. Why not see what we have in these highly touted prospects? They aren't 18 year olds eh?

Old
06-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Why not - these prospects have shown no warts - why not show a little confidence in them?

Also, if Hards meds work, he was signed to a 3 year deal to be the man. From what I saw in the playoffs, why not give the Masterson award winner a chance to further show his abilities?

I just find it annoying that people will trump our goaltending depth as an asset, then look elsewhere when an aging Finn's contract expires. Why not see what we have in these highly touted prospects? They aren't 18 year olds eh?
So your idea of developing prospects is just throwing them right into the NHL ala Edmonton huh? Sorry but that's not how it works.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
So your idea of developing prospects is just throwing them right into the NHL ala Edmonton huh? Sorry but that's not how it works.
Cam Ward, Carey Price, and MAF of SC fame would disagree. If you can stop pucks, it is a skill that translates.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Cam Ward, Carey Price, and MAF of SC fame would disagree. If you can stop pucks, it is a skill that translates.
Whatever, I'm not gonna bother arguing this topic further. Fletcher has already decided on either re-signing Backs or acquiring another starter. He's made it clear that he's not going into the season with Harding and a rookie as the goaltending tandem so your suggestion isn't happening.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
What about Gunner? can he go to Iowa next season?

Old
06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
What about Gunner? can he go to Iowa next season?
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

I'm kind of excited, to be honest.

Old
06-23-2013, 09:24 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

same. gunnarson didnt even get a mention in that bogus wild draft preview article. how did it go, after dumba our next best guy is draeger?

Old
06-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Si senor.

Me too. Haven't seen him play much but he stuck out in a positive way in the scrimmages in preseason. Intriguing late round pick. Big man, can skate..big shot. Hope his game translates to NA.

Old
06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

look at tyler bozak if leafs dont want him? and let cullen go if we cant work something out. otherwise theres a lot of older centermen out there

Old
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
Quote:
Si senor.

me too, one of my favorite prospects. He was really impressive in the scrimmages.

Closed Thread