HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

2013 Off-Season Thread II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-23-2013, 03:11 PM
  #201
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Yotes fan coming in peace. What would be the asking price for Konopka?
One of your old school logo Yotes sweaters.

firstroundbust is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:12 PM
  #202
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Zucker and Coyle for Fleury
Sold. No take backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post
If a team is willing to take on MAF's salary, they wont be giving up much to get him. He doesnt have great value right now.
If it's a pure MAF for picks deal I would agree. Not too many teams have the money and cap space to eat $5m next season regardless of the skill (or lack there of) that comes with it.

Sideline is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:18 PM
  #203
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
There's a number of reasons this direction is bad for the Wild.

First, no, Hackett and Kuemper are not proven. Neither is Bernier. But Hackett and Kuemper were Wild-controlled assets i.e. we are not giving up anything to keep them and see what happens. Bernier would cost quite a bit to acquire, especially if Zucker is involved.

Second, you already have a starter with Backstrom. Unless he truly wants to chase money, why not get him for another couple years at $3-4m? Yes it costs $1-2m more this year, but Bernier is going to want at least that much money next year. You're getting one year of cost savings at the expense of potentially some very important prospects.

Third, the team is not anything more than a borderline playoff team this year, and Bernier doesn't fix that. Goaltending is not the issue with this team. It is defensive depth, top scoring, and scoring depth. Moving guys like Zucker and even to a lesser extent Clutterbuck makes things worse, not better. Take the best goalie in the world, whoever you think that is, even Henrik Lundqvist would not make this team a contender.

Giving up lots of assets and rolling the dice to try and get a slight upgrade in goaltending just isn't smart IMO. Low marginal improvement. The economist in me says you upgrade at the positions of greatest need. Removing a 20+ goal scorer in either Zucker or say Setoguchi or a 15-goal guy in Clutterbuck to save maybe an extra 5-10 goals per year is bad math.

IMO you stick with Kuemper and Gustafsson to see what happens, throw $3-4m at Backstrom (or else $2-3m at another option in UFA), and roll with him and Harding. You have solid starting goaltending and you can use your assets to try to improve your defensive or offensive depth. Maybe you buy out Gilbert and take a run at Briere on a 1-2 year deal to bolster your offense.

Backstrom has not been solid for the last 2 or so years. He ranked 29th in the NHL with a .909 save percentage. And 23rd with a 2.48 GAA. That is far from "solid goaltending". On top of that he has had health issues and is 35 years old. Im sorry but the reality is that he is a goalie that has been on the decline for the last 3 years after 3 great seasons in the NHL to start his career here.

Now I know your response might be well he led the league in wins. Yep he sure did with that .909 save percentage. Could you imagine how many wins we would have had with a goaltender with a .920 save percentage?? How about .922 like Bernier. Bernier alone might have stole 3-5 games(in a shortened season). Add 3-5 wins...We would have likely won our division.

Sure goaltending isnt the biggest weakness on this roster but it is far from a strong point. We need to find a way to get a top 10 starting goaltender so we can be a contender. I hope its Gustavsson or Kuemper like you say..but Bernier could be that guy. That is why I advocated going after him so hard.

PS- I aboslutely love the Briere idea!! Thats a move that would make me very happy.


Last edited by Beegoalie: 06-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Beegoalie is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:27 PM
  #204
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo
 
Giles Ferrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
One of your old school logo Yotes sweaters.
Tkachuk or Roenick?

Giles Ferrell is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:51 PM
  #205
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
If the price for Bernier was indeed Zucker, then I am very glad that we passed. We'll find some other way to get a goalie. I don't want to fill a hole just to create another big hole. Zucker is a huge part of the future.

Now if we traded Clutterbuck or Seto away for something, I think that would be okay.

mnwildgophers is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
  #206
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 50
Sounds like LA wanted either Zucker or Coyle. Sad that we didn't get him but glad we didn't trade any of those guys away.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
  #207
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,732
vCash: 710
So this off-season, aside from the draft and some re-signings and all that, also gives Fletcher the chance to extend some contracts.

Namely, Pominville(4.5), Zucker(.83), and possibly Setoguchi(3.0).

What is everybody thinking about these guys? IMO, Zucker could potentially command between 2.0-3.0 on a transition contract to UFA years, IMO. Pominville could command a raise to the 5.5-6.5 range, and Setoguchi should get roughly the same, if not a bit of a raise to the 3.5 area.

What does everybody think? What would you guys feel comfortable with?

Other guys that could be extended(NHL level guys) include Kuemper, Rupp, Heatley, Gilbert, and Stoner.

FUBAR McDangles is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
  #208
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
So this off-season, aside from the draft and some re-signings and all that, also gives Fletcher the chance to extend some contracts.

Namely, Pominville(4.5), Zucker(.83), and possibly Setoguchi(3.0).

What is everybody thinking about these guys? IMO, Zucker could potentially command between 2.0-3.0 on a transition contract to UFA years, IMO. Pominville could command a raise to the 5.5-6.5 range, and Setoguchi should get roughly the same, if not a bit of a raise to the 3.5 area.

What does everybody think? What would you guys feel comfortable with?

Other guys that could be extended(NHL level guys) include Kuemper, Rupp, Heatley, Gilbert, and Stoner.
well theres no way heatley and gilbert are getting an extension. gilbert may not even make the team in the fall if he's bought out or traded. pominville and zucker should stay and be ok contract wise. no one knows seto's future

keppel146 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 05:18 PM
  #209
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness
 
firstroundbust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: United States
Posts: 5,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles Ferrell View Post
Tkachuk or Roenick?
Oleg Tverdovsky

firstroundbust is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 05:27 PM
  #210
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?
 
Northland Wild Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Happy the Wild passed on the trade. As others have stated we would have given up pieces we could not afford to.

Northland Wild Man is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
  #211
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem
 
this providence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 9,489
vCash: 500
Zucker was never on the table from the Wild's end. So I don't know why so many got worked up in the first place...

As for the deal that took place, Frattin is going to fit in real well with LA's style. Great trade for them.

__________________

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 06:16 PM
  #212
WiscMNwildfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 73
vCash: 500
The Wild should dangle Pominville as trade bait since he has a year left on his contract and semi-high cap hit. Personally, I would keep Konopka and look to trade Rupp since Rupp has a higher cap hit.

WiscMNwildfan is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
  #213
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscMNwildfan View Post
The Wild should dangle Pominville as trade bait since he has a year left on his contract and semi-high cap hit. Personally, I would keep Konopka and look to trade Rupp since Rupp has a higher cap hit.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
  #214
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 528
Gustafsson has been dominant in a men's league as a kid. Why don't we give him a shot?

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 07:00 PM
  #215
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Gustafsson has been dominant in a men's league as a kid. Why don't we give him a shot?
A Wild prospect who dominated a men's league as a kid? Where have I heard that before?

You don't throw a rookie who's never played a game in N. America in his life into the starting tandem and hope to Christ he works out. Give him and Kuemper a chance to duke it out in Houston Iowa. I have high hopes for Gustafsson as well, but you don't just throw him into the NHL. Fletcher isn't going to rely on a rookie, whether it be Kuemper or Gustafsson, and a back-up with MS that could flare up at any moment as our tandem going into the season.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 07:09 PM
  #216
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
A Wild prospect who dominated a men's league as a kid? Where have I heard that before?

You don't throw a rookie who's never played a game in N. America in his life into the starting tandem and hope to Christ he works out. Give him and Kuemper a chance to duke it out in Houston Iowa. I have high hopes for Gustafsson as well, but you don't just throw him into the NHL. Fletcher isn't going to rely on a rookie, whether it be Kuemper or Gustafsson, and a back-up with MS that could flare up at any moment as our tandem going into the season.
Why not - these prospects have shown no warts - why not show a little confidence in them?

Also, if Hards meds work, he was signed to a 3 year deal to be the man. From what I saw in the playoffs, why not give the Masterson award winner a chance to further show his abilities?

I just find it annoying that people will trump our goaltending depth as an asset, then look elsewhere when an aging Finn's contract expires. Why not see what we have in these highly touted prospects? They aren't 18 year olds eh?

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  #217
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Why not - these prospects have shown no warts - why not show a little confidence in them?

Also, if Hards meds work, he was signed to a 3 year deal to be the man. From what I saw in the playoffs, why not give the Masterson award winner a chance to further show his abilities?

I just find it annoying that people will trump our goaltending depth as an asset, then look elsewhere when an aging Finn's contract expires. Why not see what we have in these highly touted prospects? They aren't 18 year olds eh?
So your idea of developing prospects is just throwing them right into the NHL ala Edmonton huh? Sorry but that's not how it works.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
  #218
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,946
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
So your idea of developing prospects is just throwing them right into the NHL ala Edmonton huh? Sorry but that's not how it works.
Cam Ward, Carey Price, and MAF of SC fame would disagree. If you can stop pucks, it is a skill that translates.

Surly Furious is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 08:33 PM
  #219
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,237
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Cam Ward, Carey Price, and MAF of SC fame would disagree. If you can stop pucks, it is a skill that translates.
Whatever, I'm not gonna bother arguing this topic further. Fletcher has already decided on either re-signing Backs or acquiring another starter. He's made it clear that he's not going into the season with Harding and a rookie as the goaltending tandem so your suggestion isn't happening.

Billy Mays Here is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 08:44 PM
  #220
Caior89
Registered User
 
Caior89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 353
What about Gunner? can he go to Iowa next season?

Caior89 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 08:53 PM
  #221
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,732
vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caior89 View Post
What about Gunner? can he go to Iowa next season?
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

I'm kind of excited, to be honest.

FUBAR McDangles is online now  
Old
06-23-2013, 09:24 PM
  #222
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

I'm kind of excited, to be honest.
same. gunnarson didnt even get a mention in that bogus wild draft preview article. how did it go, after dumba our next best guy is draeger?

keppel146 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:00 PM
  #223
Beegoalie
Registered User
 
Beegoalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pominville Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

I'm kind of excited, to be honest.

Me too. Haven't seen him play much but he stuck out in a positive way in the scrimmages in preseason. Intriguing late round pick. Big man, can skate..big shot. Hope his game translates to NA.

Beegoalie is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 10:18 PM
  #224
keppel146
We love Bacon
 
keppel146's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MinneSOta
Country: United States
Posts: 1,171
vCash: 500
look at tyler bozak if leafs dont want him? and let cullen go if we cant work something out. otherwise theres a lot of older centermen out there

keppel146 is offline  
Old
06-23-2013, 11:03 PM
  #225
Caior89
Registered User
 
Caior89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,448
vCash: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
Si senor.

He could have played in Houston last season but instead wanted to play over in Sweden.

I'm kind of excited, to be honest.
me too, one of my favorite prospects. He was really impressive in the scrimmages.

Caior89 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.