HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Will Tampa Buy Out Vinny Lecavalier?

Old
06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
caley

vCash: 500
Will Tampa Buy Out Vinny Lecavalier?

Interesting article

Quote:
Vinny Lecavalier always has said he wants to play his entire career with the Lightning.

But Tampa Bay's captain also understands the business of the game. That is why he is preparing for the possibility that the team will choose to buy out his contract.

"It's obviously something you think about," Lecavalier said. "At the same time, there's nothing I can do about it."
Quote:
"We understand this is a difficult contract," Lecavalier's agent Kent Hughes said of his client's deal, which has $45 million left over seven seasons and will pay $10 million in each of the next three. "There's nothing we can do to change that on our end given the restrictions incorporated into the collective bargaining agreement."
Quote:
How seriously is Lightning GM Steve Yzerman considering using a compliance buyout? "All I would say is we just finished 28th (in the league)," he said. "We should be looking at every possible way to improve our team. I'm not about to say we're doing this or we're not doing that. As an organization, we sit and debate everything."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...valier/2127165

I think, even in his less than a superstar current state, Lecavalier would be a highly-sought-after UFA if he were to be bought out. That said, I'm not sure it happens this summer. Buying out Lecavalier would only make sense if there was a worthwhile big money defenceman to acquire/sign and those don't seem to be available this summer.

06-18-2013, 11:46 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 494
Yah, maybe next offseason.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:49 AM
2 Weekes Notice

I'm not among the Tampa Bay fans that think he'll NEVER get bought out, but I don't think it would happen until next summer if it does at all.

Clearing Ryan Malone's 4.5m cap hit/putting Ohlund on LTIR should clear enough space for this summer, and Vinny still has value. I suspect they'll wait for the farm to develop a bit more and until the amnesty buyout deadline next summer. If TB drafts a center at 3 this year, the direction on that decision might start to look more obvious.

It's going to be a very difficult decision either way. He's beloved, the captain, a valuable player, but that hit isn't going to be fun long term, and ownership certainly can afford a buyout if they decide it's the way to go.

Last edited by 2 Weekes Notice: 06-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.
2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Butchered
Whatchu doin Cooper?

Send a message via AIM to Butchered
It needs to happen. Don't really care when but when the Lightning are ready to be legit contenders, Lecavalier can't be on the squad with that contract.

Butchered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Jacko95

Nothing will happpen this summer.
Buying out VL4 would make us a much worser team, he would still be a #1 a lot of teams.

IF and that is a big if, he will be bought out next summer we have enough space to let him play next season.

@ Leafs fans: Your dream that we trade him with the 3rd overall pick still doesn't happen.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

I dont think it will happen this summer. Next maybe.

Drouin2Stamkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:00 PM
X0X0A0
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 50
Add me to the list of Lightning fans in this thread thinking definitely but next year. Malone this year hopefully.

X0X0A0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchered View Post
It needs to happen. Don't really care when but when the Lightning are ready to be legit contenders, Lecavalier can't be on the squad with that contract.
Yeah...they have one more yeay to think about it and get Drouin ready for the NHL. It's one of the worst contract in the NHL...Tampa have to buy him out next year.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:04 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
Nothing will happpen this summer.
Buying out VL4 would make us a much worser team, he would still be a #1 a lot of teams.

IF and that is a big if, he will be bought out next summer we have enough space to let him play next season.

@ Leafs fans: Your dream that we trade him with the 3rd overall pick still doesn't happen.
Thats not a dream, thats a nightmare. That contract is puke-worthy.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:06 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Lecavalier is a big part the city. Doesn't he have a hospital wing named after him? I can't see them buying him out. Trading him to a team that will buy him out so they can re-sign him I could see.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:07 PM
veedubn1

I don't know why they wouldn't just buy him out this year. Finish at the bottom of the league again, get ANOTHER awesome draft pick and be set with Stamkos, Hedman, Drouin and their 2014 1st rounder to go along with lots of cap space moving forward.

Tampa has to transition from the MSL/VL era to the Stamkos era eventually... and I think they should make that happen sooner than later.

They definitely shouldn't be trading Lecavalier along with assets just to get rid of his contract... just buy him out and let him go to Montreal and focus on your bright future.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:09 PM
sommervr

He gets hurt and you can't buy him out.

If he plays next year you better wrap him in bubble wrap. One good knock to the noggin and you can't sign Stamkos.

Last edited by sommervr: 06-18-2013 at 12:26 PM.
sommervr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:11 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Lecavalier is a big part the city. Doesn't he have a hospital wing named after him? I can't see them buying him out. Trading him to a team that will buy him out so they can re-sign him I could see.
Smart edit

I was about to comment on your idea of Katz spending 30M+ to move up from 7th to 4th, lol.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Maybe a Vinny buy out next summer.

Yeah i can see Vinny getting bought out but I agree with the Lightning fans who say that it wont be this year but maybe next year, The Lightning have options now other then buying out Vinny Ryan Malone bought out or traded same with Eric Brewer plus putting Mattias Ohlund on LTIR. Will give us about another $11 million in cap space but I agree something has to be done about Vinnys contract dont forget that in another 3 years Stamkos will be looking for around a $9 million or $10 million deal and on top of Vinnys there is no way we can afford that.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:22 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Smart edit

I was about to comment on your idea of Katz spending 30M+ to move up from 7th to 4th, lol.
I figured that was a topic better run past the folks on HFOil first

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:23 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Couldn't TB possibly speak with Vinny and say hey "how about we buy you out and then sign you to league minimum because we still love you?" or would the NHL then get involved?

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:24 PM
thrillhous

Quote:
Originally Posted by sommervr View Post
He gets hurt and you can't buy him out.
And with Vinny we all know that is a strong possibility.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:25 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
Couldn't TB possibly speak with Vinny and say hey "how about we buy you out and then sign you to league minimum because we still love you?" or would the NHL then get involved?
You can't resign a player you just bought out; you can, however, get another team to buy them out via trade, then sign them once they are UFAs

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 50
I think we try to get one more year out of him before we really think about this... It's possible he gets bought out, though. I just don't see it happening this year, since we don't really have the pieces to replace him (Tyler Johnson isn't ready to be #2C).

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
You can't resign a player you just bought out; you can, however, get another team to buy them out via trade, then sign them once they are UFAs
Ahhh okay. I figured maybe something like that was the reason there was talk of the the "trade then buy out" business. Thanks!

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:32 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Couldn't you make a case for tampering, especially if the player is signed under market value. Destroying any competition to bid because you made an agreement to sign a player who will become a UFA in the near future doesn't sound like a legal practice.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:35 PM
BigDaddyLurch
Su-Su-SuperFriends

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Couldn't you make a case for tampering, especially if the player is signed under market value. Destroying any competition to bid because you made an agreement to sign a player who will become a UFA in the near future doesn't sound like a legal practice.
Who's to say there was an "agreement" to sign; UFAs have the right to sign with any team they wish and Vinny, in this case, wanted to play for Tampa...there are always ways around tight corners.

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Who's to say there was an "agreement" to sign; UFAs have the right to sign with any team they wish and Vinny, in this case, wanted to play for Tampa...there are always ways around tight corners.
And just because there is away around a tight corner, doesn't mean you aren't going to get hit with a bus after rounding it (see cap circumventing contracts vs. CBA)

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Sabretip

The possibility of team willing to take on 100% of any bad contracts like Malone's or Lecavalier's in a trade that returns Tampa's draft pick this year shouldn't be overlooked either, especially if it gives Tampa back a similar draft pick and a young roster player or two. I'm sure Yzerman would prefer being relieved of the entire contract, without any cap hit, while adding a cheaper, more useful young player that can help improve his team than to use one of his buyouts.

Sabres want to move up in the draft - maybe they might offer to take on Malone with the 3rd pick in exchange for the 8th pick and an NHL player on a good contract.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2013, 01:01 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
The possibility of team willing to take on 100% of any bad contracts like Malone's or Lecavalier's in a trade that returns Tampa's draft pick this year shouldn't be overlooked either, especially if it gives Tampa back a similar draft pick and a young roster player or two. I'm sure Yzerman would prefer being relieved of the entire contract, without any cap hit, while adding a cheaper, more useful young player that can help improve his team than to use one of his buyouts.

Sabres want to move up in the draft - maybe they might offer to take on Malone with the 3rd pick in exchange for the 8th pick and an NHL player on a good contract.
Yeah, maybe they might

Malone only has $5m of real money left on his 2 years of 4.5m cap hit. A buyout is very easy without sliding that far down in this draft.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote