HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VI

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2013, 12:36 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
You once again underestimate the rivalry factor.
Dude is never going to sign with the Habs. Might as well scratch him off your list once and for all.
You're overestimating the rivalry factor...

Grabovski, Komisarek, Ryder, Armstrong, Gill, Kaberle, O'Byrne, and we can even go further with the likes of Gilmour, all have played for or currently play for teams considered close rivals of one or many of their previous teams. And this is just off the top of my head for players having to do with Montreal...

Old
06-19-2013, 12:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post

Grabovski, Komisarek, Ryder, Armstrong, Gill, Kaberle, O'Byrne, and we can even go further with the likes of Gilmour, all have played or play for teams considered close rivals of one or many of their previous teams. And this is just off the top of my head for players having to do with Montreal...
Another good example would be Hossa hop scotching to teams that had previously ruined his playoff hopes

Old
06-19-2013, 12:38 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Michael Ryder, Mike Komisarek, Steve Begin to name a few.

Money talks in this league, there is very little loyalty left.
Begin took the job because of his connection with Julien I would think.
Komisarek is a ******* and always has been. He even offered his services to the Bruins.
Ryder didn't have any rivalry with any player of the Bruins. FFS, I'm not even sure he knows there is a rivalry between these two teams.

It happens, but in a case like Horton's, where his toughness is totally dependant of who surrounds him... I say he signs a good, cheap (relative to the kind of player he is) deal to stay with Lucic, McQuaid and cie... Instead of coming here to defend Pacioretty who cries when he gets bitten.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

Grabovski, Komisarek, Ryder, Armstrong, Gill, Kaberle, O'Byrne, and we can even go further with the likes of Gilmour, all have played for or currently play for teams considered close rivals of one or many of their previous teams. And this is just off the top of my head for players having to do with Montreal...
add Kordic, Courtnall to your list

Old
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:

Grabovski, Kaberle, O'Byrne were dealt through trades.
Gill was never a tough player involved in the rivalry first-hand to begin with.
Komisarek is a *******. Ryder is not even conscious of the rivalry between those two teams. Armstrong took a 1 year contract to play with his childhood team.

It happens, but in Horton's case, I would bet that he stays in Boston.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Begin took the job because of his connection with Julien I would think.
Komisarek is a ******* and always has been. He even offered his services to the Bruins.
Ryder didn't have any rivalry with any player of the Bruins. FFS, I'm not even sure he knows there is a rivalry between these two teams.

It happens, but in a case like Horton's, where his toughness is totally dependant of who surrounds him... I say he signs a good, cheap (relative to the kind of player he is) deal to stay with Lucic, McQuaid and cie... Instead of coming here to defend Pacioretty who cries when he gets bitten.
and Horton looks like a gentleman to you ?

Old
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Komisarek is a *******. Ryder is not even conscious of the rivalry between those two teams. Armstrong took a 1 year contract to play with his childhood team.

same for Florida Panthers former player Nathan Horton...

Old
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and Horton looks like a gentleman to you ?
Horton is an ******* because he's with Boston. Every player who goes to Boston becomes an *******.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:45 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I'm not looking to insert our newly drafted prospects into our lineup, you've misunderstood. I'm just listing players that could play in the NHL, as I was asked to name players that could step in next year. If you're looking for a prospect to step into the NHL next year, Dumont, Bournival, Leblanc and even Holland could make the jump to the third line, if so required.

It's been stated several times that Gionta will almost definitely be back for the start of the season next year. As well, I'm sure we'd all rather see Galchenyuk at the top-6 LW spot and Bourque on the RW if we needed to fill a spot rather than have Kristo in the top-6.

Kristo has not developed physically during his time in ND. That is one of my problems with him. All that time, money, and development put towards Kristo changed a 56th overall pick into a 22nd overall pick (which is what I'm saying I'd trade Kristo for).
None of the prospects drafted or otherwise are as talented as Kristo is or NHL ready. So if this is about being able to plug a player in to the NHL this year or next who can be impactful than the premise or what I thought you were saying is wrong.

As for trading Kristo to move up 30 spots into the 1st round, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a GM to make that deal. Kristo, like most non top end prospects, aren't very well known and most GM's don't like taking chances with them as they might turn out or might not. The world is litterted with Josef Balej's who were thought to be future impact players who never turned out. I'ts harder for a GM to justifying trading a known top end prospect for 2 scraps from another organization. I'll use Patches for an example. Would you trade a 2nd rounder and a college prospect for the chance to draft a guy like Patches? Why would another GM.

If you wanted to move up a couple spots like we did to get Tinordi than maybe you can see that happen as you can draft another relatively high end prospect and it's less pressure to draft a player as it's mostly luck if they turn out or not. But 30 spots, no way, no how unless Milbury is back in the league, even he isn't that dumb (maybe).

Old
06-19-2013, 12:46 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Horton is an ******* because he's with Boston. Every player who goes to Boston becomes an *******.
Unless they come back to Montreal after lol.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Unless they come back to Montreal after lol.
Yes lol. Bégin is another exception.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:54 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:

Is there anything I'm missing that suggests that Horton is different than all the guys I named? Is there anything that shows that he takes the Montreal-Boston to heart and believes in it so passionately that he would refuse to sign here?

As for Gill, not only was he raised in Boston but played there, I doubt many people hated the Habs as much as him, not to mention that he also played for the Leafs....

Old
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You once again underestimate the rivalry factor.
Dude is never going to sign with the Habs. Might as well scratch him off your list once and for all.
There are a gazillion players taht went to their biggest rivals in all sports. If Damon can play for NYY then Horton can play with the Habs. Money talks.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:57 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
And all the ones that come to Motreal become pansies. Sorry but true.

Old
06-19-2013, 12:59 PM
Roulin

Assuming it'll take at least a 3 year deal to sign him, I'd be too worried about Horton's health to make that commitment.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:01 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I don't know if Horton will sign here, but I don't think Boston can keep him.

He is 28 years old one of the youngest legit top 6 forwards on the market now, having a killer playoffs, he is going to want to get paid.

He is finish off a deal where his cap hit was 4M, but he was paid 5.5M in real dollar, and IMO that is going to be the min he'll get on a new deal, maybe even 6M.

Boston literally can't afford him, I believe they have 10.8 in cap space and need to re-sign Rask who will eat up atleast 6.5 to 7 of that, also a backup goal, 1 extra forward, then wtv is left is for Horton or his replacement.

Only way they can make it work is if they buy out both Peverly and Kelly, Kelly might be traded for a pick, but Peverly at his salary and play, no way he gets traded without another contract coming back.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Assuming it'll take at least a 3 year deal to sign him, I'd be too worried about Horton's health to make that commitment.
That to me is a bigger issue than him not wanting to play in Montreal. Cost + health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I don't know if Horton will sign here, but I don't think Boston can keep him.

He is 28 years old one of the youngest legit top 6 forwards on the market now, having a killer playoffs, he is going to want to get paid.

He is finish off a deal where his cap hit was 4M, but he was paid 5.5M in real dollar, and IMO that is going to be the min he'll get on a new deal, maybe even 6M.

Boston literally can't afford him, I believe they have 10.8 in cap space and need to re-sign Rask who will eat up atleast 6.5 to 7 of that, also a backup goal, 1 extra forward, then wtv is left is for Horton or his replacement.

Only way they can make it work is if they buy out both Peverly and Kelly, Kelly might be traded for a pick, but Peverly at his salary and play, no way he gets traded without another contract coming back.
Not only that but they have Bergeron and Seidenberg up after 2013-2014.

I would be shockey if they kept Horton at the expense of guys like Kelly Peverley Ference as they believe in having a lot of depth, not being carried by 2 lines.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
And all the ones that come to Motreal become pansies. Sorry but true.
Brandon prust says 'watup'.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:23 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Bouillon sees Prust's watup, and adds a watup of his own.

Old
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Quote:
Emelin adds his own 'vatup'

Old
06-19-2013, 01:30 PM
Draft

Quote:
Emelin adds his own 'vatup'
Desharnais adds his own "I'm big where it counts"

Old
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Kaberle says "Yo.. Oh ****, sorry, wrong thread..."

Last edited by ZARTONK: 06-19-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old
06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Kaberle says "Yo.. Oh ****, sorry, wrong thread..."
Prust IS a tough guy. That's his only job. I'm talking about players who played tough on other teams only to come to the Habs and stop playing that style and become pansies whether it's because they have no back up, not the teams style etc...

Way more of those players than Brandon Prust. Besides, he's only been here 1/2 a year. If we don't get tougher throught, he may revert to playing like Moen does now.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Prust IS a tough guy. That's his only job. I'm talking about players who played tough on other teams only to come to the Habs and stop playing that style and become pansies whether it's because they have no back up, not the teams style etc...

Way more of those players than Brandon Prust. Besides, he's only been here 1/2 a year. If we don't get tougher throught, he may revert to playing like Moen does now.
Moen has had ONE down year, not sure why people are so obsessed with crapping on him. He had as many fights with us as his Anaheim days, plus he had his best NHL season last year(2011-12) before he got hurt.

Guys like Gallagher Emelin Subban Prust etc don;t seem to care wether they have "backup" or not. I'd still like to have a big heavyweight for certain games though.

Old
06-19-2013, 02:09 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Moen has had ONE down year, not sure why people are so obsessed with crapping on him. He had as many fights with us as his Anaheim days, plus he had his best NHL season last year(2011-12) before he got hurt.

Guys like Gallagher Emelin Subban Prust etc don;t seem to care wether they have "backup" or not. I'd still like to have a big heavyweight for certain games though.
It's not so much bashing Moen as it is a statement about Montreal's style of play. We're a high tempo, high speed, puck possession team that relies on a quick transition and speed. This is not condusive to having big, lumbering forwards being tough. So any calls to bring in tough guys from other teams is asking them to change their style into a new system that they may not be equiped to play in.

If we want a tougher team, we need to change our style of play to one that's condusive to being more physical, grinding type of team. That's going to take a whole heck of a lot more time then some people may want to admit.

The worst thing the Habs can do is pull a Toronto and get lost within their organizational identity. If they want to be tough, be tough, if they want a higher speed and skill team than build that. Just don't muddle the lines and get lost from what their identity is.

Right now, I'm not sure what direction we're going in but I'm interested in finding out very soon.

Last edited by shutehinside: 06-19-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Closed Thread