HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
So lets not get Heatley cause ( He is a POS and everyone on this board knows him so well) But we can have a reclamation project in Brad Boyes??
I don't think anyone is advocating signing Brad Boyes. Actually, I don't even know what he has to do at all with Heatley, but whatever. MacKenzie tweeted that the Wild can't buyout Heatley anyway, so there goes that.

And, yes, he's a POS. You or I would be rotting in prison right now if we had done what he did.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:35 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Loks like Letang could be moved if this is true, would not want at 7+M per

Quote:
PensNation_Nick ‏@PensNation_Nick 30m
Dreger on TSN Radio “I think Letang stays in PGH.” He also says Letang turned down 8 year 7mil+ per offer. I can’t see both happening.

Old
06-27-2013, 01:53 PM
LAIslanderFan

I wonder what's taking Snow so long to sign Hamonic and Bailey.

Old
06-27-2013, 02:14 PM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Because he is not in a rush. They've both been qualified and there is plenty of time to sort out their deals as neither of them have any leverage

Old
06-27-2013, 02:36 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Loks like Letang could be moved if this is true, would not want at 7+M per
Next year could be a more crowded market for UFA defensemen, too. Orpik is also up. Phaneuf, Pitkanen, Meszaros, Seidenberg, Klesla. A LOT of names here, some will sign before UFA but still! http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?y...D&fa_type_id=2

Old
06-27-2013, 03:01 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
We don't know what Wang will do. I hope he realized that being competitive down the stretch and making the playoffs will make more money for him.

If a top-4 d or top-6 forward could put us in the playoffs or win a round, it would be a smart business move for Wang to spend the money.

Are you serious? Are you also waiting for the sun not to be hot? We know EXACTLY what wang will do. Let me know if any of these things ring true to you...
  • For the 2013-2014 season the Islanders' spending will hover around the cap floor
  • The goaltenders on the roster opening night will be Poulin and someone like Nabokov/Jose Theodore/Mike Smith
  • We will NOT make a deal for any top 6 forward/top defenseman who could be part of the core for 5+ years
  • At least one over the hill "name" free agent/reclamation project will be signed to a one year deal
  • Someone will be picked up on waivers just before the season and given a prominent role
  • One (or more) of our top prospects will be rushed into NHL duty when they need more time in the minors

Believe me...Like so many of you, hope makes me want to believe that wang will get things on track, but lions are lions and they're not going to all of a sudden give up meat and start eating only plants.

Wang has proved to us with over a decade-long resume how incompetent he is at running our beloved Islanders. Why in the world do you think he's all of a sudden going to become Robert Kraft? Is he getting a brain transplant? Because short of that...It's...Not...Going...To...Happen...

The only potential solutions to our problems according to wang's warped view are pretty much already in the organization. So we all have to hope that Poulin/Nilsson become that franchise goalie...That Nino becomes that winger for Tavares...That Griffin Reinhart becomes a top-pairing/shut down defenceman...That Strome/Nelson become playmaking 2nd line centers (and maybe one can be dealt)...

I don't know how many times so many Islander fans have to run up the hill to see if there are actually wolves attacking sheep, but I'm staying where I am until I actually see wolves in the form of a major trade or signing that help the team get closer to a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Are you serious? Are you also waiting for the sun not to be hot? We know EXACTLY what wang will do. Let me know if any of these things ring true to you...
  • For the 2013-2014 season the Islanders' spending will hover around the cap floor
  • The goaltenders on the roster opening night will be Poulin and someone like Nabokov/Jose Theodore/Mike Smith
  • We will NOT make a deal for any top 6 forward/top defenseman who could be part of the core for 5+ years
  • At least one over the hill "name" free agent/reclamation project will be signed to a one year deal
  • Someone will be picked up on waivers just before the season and given a prominent role
  • One (or more) of our top prospects will be rushed into NHL duty when they need more time in the minors

Believe me...Like so many of you, hope makes me want to believe that wang will get things on track, but lions are lions and they're not going to all of a sudden give up meat and start eating only plants.

Wang has proved to us with over a decade-long resume how incompetent he is at running our beloved Islanders. Why in the world do you think he's all of a sudden going to become Robert Kraft? Is he getting a brain transplant? Because short of that...It's...Not...Going...To...Happen...

The only potential solutions to our problems according to wang's warped view are pretty much already in the organization. So we all have to hope that Poulin/Nilsson become that franchise goalie...That Nino becomes that winger for Tavares...That Griffin Reinhart becomes a top-pairing/shut down defenceman...That Strome/Nelson become playmaking 2nd line centers (and maybe one can be dealt)...

I don't know how many times so many Islander fans have to run up the hill to see if there are actually wolves attacking sheep, but I'm staying where I am until I actually see wolves in the form of a major trade or signing that help the team get closer to a Stanley Cup.
Well, maybe some of us can look beyond the past few years...

From the time that Wang took over the Isles to the time the rebuild started (2007-08) the Isles were consistently around 20th in payroll...they weren't spending a ton, but they were spending.

In 2005-06, the cap floor was $21.5M. The Isles' payroll was over $31M.
In 2006-07, the cap floor was $28M, the Isles' payroll was over $37M.
In 2007-08, the cap floor was $34M, he Isles' payroll was $39M.

Then the team started spending to the floor.

So, while I don't see the Isles spending to the cap anytime soon, Wang's history has shown a willingness to spend above the minimum if the Isles are a playoff team.

And it makes sense...if he invests an extra $5M to ensure the Isles make the playoffs, he will make more than that back. Unless you think that Wang will purposely try to lose money on the team just to screw the fans?

I would expect the Isles to spend more money next year (with the lower cap) then they did this year. Part of that will be raises to players already on the team, but I expect there to be at least one more addition.

Old
06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I don't Know if he would come here or if it would even be in the Isles plans But I would Snow to sign Vinny Lecavalier....

3 years he would be an excellent (Legit)2nd Center....
Pushing Nielsen ad Cizikas down making our team stronger....

If the Isles feel Rookie Big Brock is ready then Nielsen could be traded for a Wing or defensive upgrade....
He would be awesome fit for a few seasons (no more then 3). He would only cost us in the wallet department. This guy has been through the ringer and i'm also aware he is "slowing down". I will also say, even though he is slowing down he is a much better 2nd line center then what we have at the moment. His leadership and intangibles would probably be worth the money alone and he is only 33.

Seeing that the UFA pool is mediocre, I really think he can help us improve for the short term and it's not like we don't have the room to fit him under the cap. JMHO

Old
06-27-2013, 03:47 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I think he's busy on the draft, the compliance buyouts, trade talk, etc.

I expect both Hamonic and Bailey to sign 4-5 year deals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Exactly, Taylor Hall is way faster than John Tavares and has a great shot, would I take him over JT, no friggen way. Just because Seguin is faster than Strome, doesn't mean Strome might not wind up better than Seguin. Then add you're giving up a #1 pick in a draft being compared to the great 2003 draft, and a goalie with a ton of potential. What if Shinkaruk is there at #15, and winds up being the next Zach Parise ? So now you're giving Boston someone who may be as good as Seguin (Strome), a possible stud prospect, and a possible good goalie. No Thanks.
I agree with you.

I love Taylor Hall's game and I felt he was a better player at 17 than Tavares was at 18, while they were juniors. Hall has incredible tools, combination of blazing speed and strength and fearless in driving to the net is the best in the NHL by far. He's also got a ways to go to hone his game and he'll be a force for a long time.

But JT's hockey IQ is what makes him a cut above, both in current ability and upside.

I see the same with Seguin. He's got amazing speed, stick-handling, works hard - but not the best vision and hockey sense, that will always limit his upside. And that's Strome's strength as well, the ability to use teammates, find the open player and generate offense.

Avs fans will say the same about Matt Duchene. Incredible speed and stick handling, but his finish isn't there and he's not the best playmaker.

For perspective though, all of Hall, Seguin, Duchene are elite talents and will be very good NHL players for a long time. But I don't think they'll ever be in the discussion for the Hart, in the Crosby-Malkin level (with Hall being the exception, maybe, because I think he's got so much untapped potential still)

What's unique about the NHL, compared to other levels, is the elimination of time/space. A player's ability to use teammates, create space for themselves (using size and/or speed), take a hit and cycle the puck become key in that player's effectiveness.

I wouldn't trade Strome for Seguin (yes, I know Seguin is "worth" more right now) and I wasn't even a Strome-guy (wanted Couturier at the draft). But I like what his game can bring and I simply wouldn't move him OR Nelson for that matter.

I would trade Niederreiter though. Not because of his immature/agent/rookie camp stuff, but I think he's not going to be as good as Strome/Nelson and would use his asset value to fill a hole (like a big defenseman).

Last edited by redbull: 06-28-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old
06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:

From the time that Wang took over the Isles to the time the rebuild started (2007-08) the Isles were consistently around 20th in payroll...they weren't spending a ton, but they were spending.

So, while I don't see the Isles spending to the cap anytime soon, Wang's history has shown a willingness to spend above the minimum if the Isles are a playoff team.

And it makes sense...if he invests an extra $5M to ensure the Isles make the playoffs, he will make more than that back. Unless you think that Wang will purposely try to lose money on the team just to screw the fans?

I would expect the Isles to spend more money next year (with the lower cap) then they did this year. Part of that will be raises to players already on the team, but I expect there to be at least one more addition.
The move is in place, he no longer has to cry poverty to get his new arena. He seems interested in selling the team and the better they are the more money he will get.

Wang has treated this team like a used car these past few seasons. I can actually see him at the mechanics and a conversation going something likes this:

(Imagine the car as if it were a 69 Camaro RS)
Mechanic: Hey Charles, you have 4 bald tires, your radiator is leaking, you need a full tune up, the head gasket is about to go and the headliner is touching the floor. What do you want me to fix?
Wang: Well, put some staples in the headliner, get 4 used tires from the junkyard, put some of that radiator seal in to help stop the leak, just change the oil and clean the air filter instead of the tune up.
Mechanic: Well what about the head gasket?
Wang: Well if it still running, it's just a little smoke and I can deal with it for now.

Now since he wants sell this used car and actually make some money off it, he does everything the right way and even fixes the interior and throws a very nice paint job on it.

Since this car has potential (just like the Islanders) to make you some good money by fixing it the right way...why the heck not?

Old
06-27-2013, 04:07 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I wouldn't trade Strome for Seguin (yes, I know Seguin is "worth" more right now) and I wasn't even a Strome-guy (wanted Couturier at the draft). But I like what his game can bring and I simply wouldn't move him OR Nelson for that matter.
Sorry, that is just unbelievable.

The argument from Taylor Hall/John Tavares analogy is just silly. Obviously JT has a huge advantage when it comes to vision and hockey sense. But Strome has no demonstrated advantage over Seguin. Seguin came into the league as a guys scouts said had GREAT hockey sense. Seguin had one adjustment year as an 18 y/o, a great year as a 19-20 y/o, and one spotty year all the while learning a new position and being shifted around with a vet-laden team. One snake-bitten playoffs later, and everyone is criticizing his hockey sense. Meanwhile, Strome hasn't played a single NHL game. Not for nothing, but that's one supremely dumb argument by analogy.

I think the fit between Seguin and JT would be unbelievable. I think the fit between Strome and JT is questionable. (Because of Strome's propensity not to crash down low, he seems much better suited to center). There's plenty of rationale there.

But there's just no reason AT ALL to believe that Strome's vision and hockey sense is superior to Seguin's. Because of the exact reason you stated w/regard to time and space. For all we know Strome could dipsydo pass in the corners a la Robban.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:30 PM
startainfection

Do you want the isles to sign Lecavier?

6 foot 4 skilled center vet, i think he could be a great mentor for some of th isles bigger players that are known to be more skilled especially Brock Nelson, could he be this off season's brad boyes-esque signing?

i would love to take him as a number 2 center if he isn't asking for the world as far as a contract goes

Old
06-27-2013, 05:43 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Feaster working his magic sending Tanguay and Sarich to Colorado for David Jones and Shane O'Brien. Cammy is reported to be on the move soon as well.

Is it too early for him to get the Sam Reinhart jersey ready for next year's draft?

Old
06-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Feaster working his magic sending Tanguay and Sarich to Colorado for David Jones and Shane O'Brien. Cammy is reported to be on the move soon as well.

Is it too early for him to get the Sam Reinhart jersey ready for next year's draft?
If the Isles don't get a goalie we might be looking at Aaron Ekblad or William Nylander jerseys as well!

Old
06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Yeah, I don't know how Feaster makes trades and thinks they're going to help his team.

Old
06-27-2013, 05:58 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Yeah, I don't know how Feaster makes trades and thinks they're going to help his team.
makes team worse, leads to higher draft pick , team drafts potential superstar, i think it is kinda simple

Old
06-27-2013, 06:00 PM
startainfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
If the Isles don't get a goalie we might be looking at Aaron Ekblad or William Nylander jerseys as well!
give poulin the starting job in chicago and they probably still win the cup, it is all about good d, if they can shut down and clear the crease before the second chance the goalie will be fine

Old
06-27-2013, 06:13 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
makes team worse, leads to higher draft pick , team drafts potential superstar, i think it is kinda simple
Of course you think it's simple.

He could have gotten such better returns for Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Tanguay. I'll break down every trade for you.

Iginla for Agostino, Hanowski, and a 1st

Agostino is a solid NCAA player for Yale. I've seen him play a lot, I go to Quinnipiac and Yale is our rival and [unfortunately] beat us in the National Championship. He is not going to be an NHL player. If he is, he'll be nothing more than a 3rd liner. Hanowski hasn't wowed anyone in the NCAA, but he's got a better chance to be a bottom-6 NHL forward than not. And the Flames got the 28th overall pick.

That's nothing for your franchise's best player of all time. Feaster could have traded him a few seasons earlier to the Kings for Brayden Schenn. Or they could have gotten prospects like Scott Harrington, Olli Maataa, Tom Kuhnhakl, etc.

Bouwmeester for Cundari, Berra, and conditional 1st (which they received, but whatever)

Granted, Bouwmeester had a disappointing tenure in Calgary, but for whatever reason he was in very high demand. Cundari was an okay prospect; nobody knew who Reto Berra was; and the first was conditional on the Blues making the playoffs. Why would he get those players and make it a conditional 1st if he's rebuilding? Other prospects they could have had were Ty Rattie, Jani Hakanpaa, Joel Edmundson, etc.

Tanguay and Sarich for Jones and O'Brien

Tanguay is a very good complimentary winger and Sarich is a solid bottom pairing defenseman. Why would he trade them for a cap dump and a pylon? Get picks and prospects. GOOD picks and prospects. Feaster could have gotten Stephen Elliott for Tanguay and everyone would've said that it was fair value.

Garth ended up getting a 1st for Chris Campoli, a 2nd for Andy Sutton, Michael Grabner for free, Matt Moulson for free, etc. He helped the team's future with the assets he acquired for his veterans that had to be traded. He signed free agents that he believed could grow with the team to team friendly contracts. Feaster is getting nobodies and 1st round picks, and signing players like Dennis Wideman and Jiri Hudler to stupidly expensive contracts.

In other words, to simply it for you startainfection, Feaster could have gotten better returns and still had a bad enough team to draft high next season.

Old
06-27-2013, 06:57 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
6 foot 4 skilled center vet, i think he could be a great mentor for some of th isles bigger players that are known to be more skilled especially Brock Nelson, could he be this off season's brad boyes-esque signing?

i would love to take him as a number 2 center if he isn't asking for the world as far as a contract goes
stealing my thunder? your late to the party

I agree

Last edited by StrongIslanders90: 06-27-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old
06-27-2013, 06:59 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
maybe I missed it but I can't recall one time I saw him do that.
This is the one I was referring to:

There was also a nice gritty goal in the Playoffs this season to start a game off:

That one was with Boone Jenner on him (and then loosing him eventually) And Flyers 4th Round pick Colin Suellentrop unable to handle him.

There are many other examples I could post and have posted, but I posted these as they are against some higher profile prospects.

Look, Ryan Strome will never be confused with Dino Ciccarelli or Esposito or anyone like that. But he does a majority of his damage in the slot between the hash marks and the top of the crease. He goes there a lot and with a nice success ratio.

Also with his speed/quickness/hockey sense he almost always beat his defenceman to that spot of the ice and gets in behind them at a high rate in order to put himself in position to make a play before he is taken out. (For those that criticize his skating stride, there are many).

That said, it might be possible that Strome is allergic to the corner boards. But so be it, in the NHL I don't really want him going in the corners digging out pucks anyway. It's not his gig. As I have said time and again, he WILL need a big winger to do that for him at the NHL level, as he has had at least 1 winger next to him to do that his entire juniors career.

Old
06-27-2013, 07:28 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
The move is in place, he no longer has to cry poverty to get his new arena. He seems interested in selling the team and the better they are the more money he will get.

Wang has treated this team like a used car these past few seasons. I can actually see him at the mechanics and a conversation going something likes this:

(Imagine the car as if it were a 69 Camaro RS)
Mechanic: Hey Charles, you have 4 bald tires, your radiator is leaking, you need a full tune up, the head gasket is about to go and the headliner is touching the floor. What do you want me to fix?
Wang: Well, put some staples in the headliner, get 4 used tires from the junkyard, put some of that radiator seal in to help stop the leak, just change the oil and clean the air filter instead of the tune up.
Mechanic: Well what about the head gasket?
Wang: Well if it still running, it's just a little smoke and I can deal with it for now.

Now since he wants sell this used car and actually make some money off it, he does everything the right way and even fixes the interior and throws a very nice paint job on it.

Since this car has potential (just like the Islanders) to make you some good money by fixing it the right way...why the heck not?
Only flaw in your analogy is that if it's the head gasket you still have to take the engine apart to fix it and the car may be so old it's not worth fixing...you can just get a new one. Just sayin'

Old
06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
seabass45

The Letang offer hit NHL.com, guessing it was leaked by one side? Same thing happened with Staal and we know how that ended.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:

The problem is that this kind of logic confounds the Wang haters.

But give them a break, it's going to be tough to square the circle that will be the Dipietro buy-out.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:43 PM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
i dont know how he does anything that he does. he is hands down, the worst gm in the league.

getting 0 assets for the 2 deadline deals last year,
drafting Mark Jankowski 21st overall in 2012 (could have probably gotten him in the 3rd round)
and the dennis wideman deal

how does he still have a job after that?

i dont think there is one player on their team that i would want.

Old
06-27-2013, 08:48 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabass45 View Post
The Letang offer hit NHL.com, guessing it was leaked by one side? Same thing happened with Staal and we know how that ended.
I hate Letang so I hope they move him.. It's being reported he turned it down at 8 years $56mil or $7 per season.

Penguins would have just about $25 mil locked up in three players if they make this deal.

Last edited by Bunk Moreland: 06-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Closed Thread