HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Off Season/Free Agent Discussion Thread II

Closed Thread

Old
06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
IslandersFan17

vCash: 500
I would absolutely see what it would take to get Danny B here. Couldn't imagine the guy asking for too much money at this point.

Not a retread either IMO. Danny kept a pretty consistent level of play through his career. Would be quality veteran leadership Tavares needs.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:29 PM
StumpNYI

The only thing Tavares needs is some freaking support. He can't do it all on his own. Get him some skill and not someone who will be a dead weight!!

Old
06-20-2013, 04:32 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
The only thing Tavares needs is some freaking support. He can't do it all on his own. Get him some skill and not someone who will be a dead weight!!
Personally I'd rather just go into next year with Strome on his RW, but I can understand why people would want Briere. Either player should be improvements.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:38 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Personally I'd rather just go into next year with Strome on his RW, but I can understand why people would want Briere. Either player should be improvements.
I will admit I didn't really watch Briere much last year, but his numbers aren't great. But I have always liked him (mostly because he is an Isles killer). Just meant that, veteran presence, should not be something to shoot for when upgrading Tavares' wing. He is beyond that. Hell, it's his 5th year, he may be the veteran presense Strome needs lol.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:40 PM
Macch

Briere is very appealing to play with JT because he has great puck possession skill and hes been a beast in the playoffs. I think they would complement each other very well. Filpula fits the same bill.

Both have their own big concerns, Briere and his injuries and Filppula getting big money and playing away from DET.

I'd sign both for the right deal.

Last edited by Macch: 06-20-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old
06-20-2013, 04:45 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Briere is very appealing to play with JT because he has great puck possession skill and hes been a beast in the playoffs. I think they would complement each other very well. Filpula fits the same bill.

Both have their own big concerns, Briere and his injuries and Filpula getting big money and playing away from DET.

I'd sign both for the right deal.
Filppula is the guy I want the most in free agency this summer. He would be great here

Old
06-20-2013, 04:55 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I will admit I didn't really watch Briere much last year, but his numbers aren't great. But I have always liked him (mostly because he is an Isles killer). Just meant that, veteran presence, should not be something to shoot for when upgrading Tavares' wing. He is beyond that. Hell, it's his 5th year, he may be the veteran presense Strome needs lol.
Yeah I agree. Tavares is going to be the Captain of the team. I don't really see him needing any leadership at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
Filppula is the guy I want the most in free agency this summer. He would be great here
I see him as another Nielsen. Plus, he's looking for pretty big money. I'd pass on him.

Old
06-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Yeah I agree. Tavares is going to be the Captain of the team. I don't really see him needing any leadership at this point.

I see him as another Nielsen. Plus, he's looking for pretty big money. I'd pass on him.

Hes a lot better offensively than Nielsen.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
He's going to expect 7 years $5.5M per on the open market. Someone's going to give it to him, too. But the Isles shouldn't and won't shell out a contract bigger than Tavares (in total).

Old
06-20-2013, 05:25 PM
seafoam
#HattricksForPatrick

vCash: 50
Look at what the presence of Nabby and Vis has done in helping bring this team along. Both were stars in their prime and came here at the back end of their careers, but were still performing at a high level of play. Briere, besides this past season, has performed at a high level for quite some time now, I would be open to bringing him, but wouldn't go over two years at 3M per.

Old
06-20-2013, 05:45 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Look at what the presence of Nabby and Vis has done in helping bring this team along. Both were stars in their prime and came here at the back end of their careers, but were still performing at a high level of play. Briere, besides this past season, has performed at a high level for quite some time now, I would be open to bringing him, but wouldn't go over two years at 3M per.
I'd want Briere as a one year stop gap and that's it. Sell him on the idea of playing with Tavares for a season to put up some numbers and re-establish his worth. He wouldn't be too far from his kids too.

We'll see if the gamble worked out for Boyes when UFA starts, but if Boyes gets a pretty decent contract... more credibility to the sales pitch.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:05 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I'd want Briere as a one year stop gap and that's it. Sell him on the idea of playing with Tavares for a season to put up some numbers and re-establish his worth. He wouldn't be too far from his kids too.

We'll see if the gamble worked out for Boyes when UFA starts, but if Boyes gets a pretty decent contract... more credibility to the sales pitch.
I really want to see a cheesy commercial with Snow similar to those accident lawyer commercials.

"Career down in the dumps? Getting bought out? Come play next to Tavares and rejuvenate your career. Your salary will triple in one year!"

Old
06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Riddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
He's going to expect 7 years $5.5M per on the open market. Someone's going to give it to him, too. But the Isles shouldn't and won't shell out a contract bigger than Tavares (in total).
I hate this line of thinking. so if someone like Weber said 'I only want to go to the isles' and the trade was palpable it shouldn't happen because 'he'd make more than Tavares'?

Old
06-20-2013, 06:50 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
I hate this line of thinking. so if someone like Weber said 'I only want to go to the isles' and the trade was palpable it shouldn't happen because 'he'd make more than Tavares'?
No, you obviously make exceptions for top of the line players. But not for Valtteri Filppula, who has scored 20 goals ONCE and more than 40 points ONCE.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:00 AM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
The reporter for the Wild at the local rag in Minnesota is suggesting Cal Clutterbuck may be available due to an expiring contract. I wouldn't mind adding him for toughness, even if he is the biggest ******* in the league. He played with Tavares in juniors and put up good numbers, but more importantly he takes other teams' minds off scoring, and puts them squarely on him. He also has offensive skills. Here is a link to his stats: http://wild.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473504

Forget about the idea of putting him back with Tavares, or giving the second line some teeth, as tempting as that may be. Think about him and Martin making opposing teams dread playing the Islanders.

Old
06-21-2013, 01:09 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
The reporter for the Wild at the local rag in Minnesota is suggesting Cal Clutterbuck may be available due to an expiring contract. I wouldn't mind adding him for toughness, even if he is the biggest ******* in the league. He played with Tavares in juniors and put up good numbers, but more importantly he takes other teams' minds off scoring, and puts them squarely on him. He also has offensive skills. Here is a link to his stats: http://wild.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8473504

Forget about the idea of putting him back with Tavares, or giving the second line some teeth, as tempting as that may be. Think about him and Martin making opposing teams dread playing the Islanders.
I take Clutterbuck in a heartbeat. I would try to have him in the top six whenever possible, but for most games would love to have him on one line and Martin on another, with lines one and two relying on Okposo growing up and using his testes and Snow getting a tough winger with skill for Tavares not to fight but be there to protect a tough-enough Tavares and lollypop aficionado Moulson.

And remember we have Boulton. When he sing When a Man Loves a Woman.....{three Office Space references in five minutes for me now}

Old
06-21-2013, 02:02 AM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:

Wouldn't mind him on the 3rd line with Grabner and Nelson if just one or neither of Strome/Nino are making the squad.

Old
06-21-2013, 03:43 AM
TT1

Habs-isl

are you guys interested in dealing your pick? if so would diaz + our no25 do the trick?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=76283

Old
06-21-2013, 07:51 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
are you guys interested in dealing your pick? if so would diaz + our no25 do the trick?
Any trade involving swapping of picks would probably be wholly dependent on the individual players each team likes and the players left on the board as they approach the Isles turn to pick.

That being said, I don't think Diaz would hold a ton of value to the Isles since they already have players in that mold knocking on roster spots.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Marshal Rochambeau
Send it

Quote:

Snow should definitely be on top of that. Any idea what Fletcher is asking for him?

Old
06-21-2013, 10:42 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

I'd love Clutterbuck on the Isles. He'd up our 'pain in the ass' quotient big time. We haven't had an agitator like him in a while and he's got a long history with Tavares from Oshawa. He can play too.

Old
06-21-2013, 10:52 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Martin/Cizikas/Clutterbuck

Old
06-21-2013, 11:01 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

I have been advocating signing Briere once it was clear he was out of PHI. Is he better than Boyes at this point? No idea, however, he's a huge character guy, clutch in the playoffs, but a little concerned with injury history. PAP and Boyes were rarely injured, if at all. So Isles had consistency in the line up.

But...if he does get injured, then maybe that gives the a shot for some of these BST kids that may not make the team out of camp. Not ideal, but a decent fall back option.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:37 AM
seafoam
#HattricksForPatrick

vCash: 50
Clutterbuck is probably going to be looking for a contract similar to what Prust got last year from Montreal, 4 x 2.5M per. No thank you. The Isles have their Cal Clutterbuck in Colin McDonald who just signed on for two more years at a fraction of the cost. Use the money on a veteran defenseman.

Old
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Clutterbuck is probably going to be looking for a contract similar to what Prust got last year from Montreal, 4 x 2.5M per. No thank you. The Isles have their Cal Clutterbuck in Colin McDonald who just signed on for two more years at a fraction of the cost. Use the money on a veteran defenseman.

Yeah i have mixed feelings on Clutterbuck. He fits similar into the David Clarkson category. I think much of Clutterbuck's hype stems from his 19 goal season. People thought he would be the pest who can put up 20 every year. He hasnt turned into that player. Regressed production wise. The Islanders can do better.

Closed Thread