HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Yzlamic Preacher*
Believes in Yzergod

vCash: 500
Damn it! Why won't time move forward faster. I just want to see the draft. Apparently TSN might airing all 7 rounds of the draft. Going to have to take the day off of work.

Old
06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
Glide5
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

So that's where scouts see the all star potential. He can be dominant and take games over with authority. He can score big clutch goals that you look to your star players to do in pressure situations. He's a guy who has all the tools to become a very good hockey player. How good could very well be up to Nichushkin.
Ahh. seeing this post is kinda making me understand why Yaz would want to get Nichushkin. While I still think Drouin would be better for us (to replace marty) Nich wouldnt be a bad change of pace. Idk. Ill just have to trust them on this one haha.

Old
06-24-2013, 04:32 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Damn it! Why won't time move forward faster. I just want to see the draft. Apparently TSN might airing all 7 rounds of the draft. Going to have to take the day off of work.
As for TV coverage:
Quote:
All seven rounds of the Draft will be held on Sunday, June 30th with TV coverage starting at 3 PM ET.
Canada:
Quote:
The draft gets underway at 3 p.m. ET as James Duthie hosts live coverage in Canada on TSN direct from the draft floor along with TSN's panel of experts. RDS will present exclusive French-language coverage throughout Canada.
USA:
Quote:
In the U.S., NBC Sports Network presents live coverage starting at 3 p.m. ET, while NHL Network in the U.S. continues live late-round coverage starting at 8 p.m. ET.

Old
06-24-2013, 06:44 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
More Nichushkin:

Quote:
"When Nichushkin is at his best, he's by far better than Barkov, but he's not always at his best," NHL Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb told NHL.com.
Quote:
"I feel Alexander Semin might be one of the best passers in the League," Gandler said of one of his other clients. "Nichushkin has that ability to see like Semin and make a crisp pass without looking and know where everyone is. That makes him extremely dangerous, especially when he gets to play with good players in the NHL."
Quote:
"Valeri's goal is not to just make the team, but to be one of the top players in the NHL in his first year, and that's why he's staying in North America the entire summer and going through a tremendous fitness routine," Gandler said.
Quote:
"He's a big, strong player with a high overall skill set," Stubb said. "He can score the big goals and can dominate games. Again, he was a bit inconsistent at times, but he's very skilled and talented and, by far, the best Russian available in the draft this year."
Quote:
"If he's not playing in the NHL, he's going to have to play for Dynamo," Nichushkin's agent, Mark Gandler, said. "The termination [of his contract] occurred without compensation to the team. [Returning to Dynamo if he isn't playing in the NHL] is what we would owe the team for that provision."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=672471

Old
06-24-2013, 07:55 AM
Dutchess
HFB Partner

TFC Lightning Draft Preview

Feel free to trade down here.

Old
06-24-2013, 08:24 AM
2 Weekes Notice

We’ve been hearing a lot about Jones potentially being too soft to be considered an elite defensive prospect, but if he falls to us at 3 and then turns into Alex Pietrangelo, we’d all be thrilled to bits, right?

Petro was credited for 24 hits this season (yes, .5 per game), and has fought once in his NHL career. Against Logan Couture. But nobody goes on about Pietrangelo being too soft to be an elite defenseman, correct?

Old
06-24-2013, 10:01 AM
NHLeitner

Nicklas Lidstrom, same thing. 20 Seasons, 7 Norris trophies, +450 career, barely cracked 50 hits per season.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:08 AM
CupsOverCash

The fact that Jones may slip to 3 is mind blowing. None of us thought of it to have a chance. I still think he will be first overall or at least gone by 3.

I dont know what it is about Nich but something about the Russian factor. Those guys never seem to be team players. Malkin it took some years for him to be that kind of player. He does seem to have upside of a great NHL player but Im skeptical of that pick. If it were between him and Barkov, I think Id take Barkov.

Im on the Drouin bandwagon though. I really dont think we can pass him up. If we cleaned up our D and goaltending, you would never have to worry about scoring goals with the offense we have.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Alivesi

Yeah I really want Drouin but I wouldn't mind Jones, if only we had the resources to get both...

Old
06-24-2013, 01:28 PM
TheDaysOf 04

TSN will also be airing some stuff this week

Tommorow night is Bob McKenzie's NHL Draft Ranking Special(7:30pm), TSN's Mock Draft (8:00pm) and Draft Retrospective(8:30pm)

On Thursday will be TSN's Countdown To The Draft (7:30pm)

Old
06-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

Colorado's draft board:

1. Nate Mackinnon
2. Jonathan Drouin
3. Alexander Barkov

Quote:
Roy said after MacKinnon, the organization likes Jonathan Drouin and then Alexander Barkov -- in that order.

Old
06-24-2013, 09:21 PM
jg39
SFY is great

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=675081&print=true

Quote:
"If we had to do it today, he'd probably be the guy," Sakic, Colorado's executive vice president of hockey operations, told CBS4 TV in Denver on Monday. "But we still have some time."

"Obviously we feel [Jones] is going to have a real good career," Sakic said. "But after doing our homework, we believe these forwards are just too good to pass up right now."
We get the D if this is true...?

Old
06-24-2013, 10:18 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
Because it's not so often that you have a 17 year old playing in the 2nd best league in the world. If you take a look at some of the past Russians who made it to the KHL as teenagers, they usually end of being the stars. And in the playoffs when he turned 18 he helped Traktor make it to the finals. Only 2 players on his team had more goals than him. To be able to score big goals and highlight reel ones in the playoffs at his age is pretty incredible.

Here's Nichushkin in the U17 gold medal game

And then at this year's WJC, he's credited with an assist on this huge play which would be the game winner and beat the eventual tournament gold medalists.

and then this famous one to grab bronze in OT against the rival Canadians

And lastly you have him captaining the Russians at the U18 5 nations tournament, where he lead in goals, assists, and points. He received a lot of crazy praise and most scouts agreed that at this tournament, he was at his best.

RedLine Report:

Al Murray:

Dan Stewart of Future Considerations

So that's where scouts see the all star potential. He can be dominant and take games over with authority. He can score big clutch goals that you look to your star players to do in pressure situations. He's a guy who has all the tools to become a very good hockey player. How good could very well be up to Nichushkin.

Well put. Thanks!

Old
06-24-2013, 10:25 PM
Alivesi

Roy just said they will be drafting Mackinnon.... I honestly am getting jitters they will pick someone not named Jones or Drouin and will end up busting...

Old
06-24-2013, 10:31 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

I'm thinking the whole "We aren't taking Jones" thing is a smokescreen, set up to see what potential offers they could get for their pick.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:45 PM
TBLHoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I'm thinking the whole "We aren't taking Jones" thing is a smokescreen, set up to see what potential offers they could get for their pick.
I tend to agree. He may be saying he's not looking at Jones but he's also talking possible trade offers in the same speech so I'm still expecting it to go down as Jones 1st, then MacKinnon 2nd. The Lightning could be a wild card.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:46 PM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I disagree. It seems at this point that the general consensus is that Mackinnon has reclaimed the #1 spot, so they'll probably get more offers if they state for sure they're taking who many feel is the BPA. By stating clearly who they intend to draft they essentially force another team to overpay for the pick if they also want Mack.

Besides, a written agreement is the only way to fully prevent them from getting duped by another team acquiring the pick. If they are indeed bluffing then Florida could easily trade for the pick and end up taking Jones ahead of them anyway, which isn't something they'd want. For them to guarantee getting their #1 player while trading down they'd have to negotiate it in writing to another team, who would likely leak that info anyways. Putting it out in the open makes the most sense.

Regardless, Sunday's gonna be ****ing awesome.

Old
06-25-2013, 03:30 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

If they just came out and said whom they thought the top 3 were...which is pretty unprecedented...you can be guaranteed that it is not a smokescreen to draft jones...as they have essentially eliminated the possibility of trading down to grab him. It would be too underhanded publicly to that players image to be drafted like that

Old
06-25-2013, 04:23 AM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
A few weeks ago, I didn't think so... but now... there's a chance...

Hedman/Jones! Please, let it happen.

Edit: Do you think it would be worth it to swap places with Florida?

Old
06-25-2013, 07:58 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
A few weeks ago, I didn't think so... but now... there's a chance...

Hedman/Jones! Please, let it happen.

Edit: Do you think it would be worth it to swap places with Florida?
Nope. I want Jones badly, but it wouldn't be worth what FL would ask for to move up that one spot. Besides I really think they will go for the offensive player over a Dman.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Nope. I want Jones badly, but it wouldn't be worth what FL would ask for to move up that one spot. Besides I really think they will go for the offensive player over a Dman.
Agree. Stay at 3. We will get a good player there.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Whoever we get at 3, it'll be a needed, excellent player. Just stay put.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:46 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

If we are lucky enough to land Jones this Sunday, would you pair him with Carle or Hedman? Maybe start with Carle on the 2nd pairing and then eventually have him together with Hedman on the 1st pair?

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Jones
Aulie-Gudas
Barberio

That's a proper NHL defence group, we could then hopefully trade Brewer to someone looking for defensive depth...

Old
06-25-2013, 11:48 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

You can't go wrong with either Jones or Drouin, but I hope we end up with Drouin. After taking risks with Connolly and Koekkoek the last two years I would prefer we play it safe and draft a forward.

Old
06-25-2013, 11:52 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Bayless View Post
You can't go wrong with either Jones or Drouin, but I hope we end up with Drouin. After taking risks with Connolly and Koekkoek the last two years I would prefer we play it safe and draft a forward.
I am incredibly high on Drouin, but one does not simply pass on Jones. He's in the conversation for best player available in the draft and rated #1 by most of the scouting bureaus. He also fills a glaring need on our team as a right-handed, (eventually) top pairing defenseman.

Closed Thread