HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
2 Weekes Notice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
If we are lucky enough to land Jones this Sunday, would you pair him with Carle or Hedman? Maybe start with Carle on the 2nd pairing and then eventually have him together with Hedman on the 1st pair?

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Jones
Aulie-Gudas
Barberio

That's a proper NHL defence group, we could then hopefully trade Brewer to someone looking for defensive depth...
Considering then we'd even have the right number of lefties and righties (what a concept!), we could even give him sheltered minutes with Aulie until he gets his skates wet. Obviously with the intention of him moving up to eventually replace Salo at the top.

Gudas and Carle has only been tested for a little bit as a second pair, but surely it wouldn't be worse than Carle-Brewer? You get creativity and experience paired with grit and a hard shot.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:20 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I am incredibly high on Drouin, but one does not simply pass on Jones. He's in the conversation for best player available in the draft and rated #1 by most of the scouting bureaus. He also fills a glaring need on our team as a right-handed, (eventually) top pairing defenseman.
I dont think we will pass on Jones if he is there. Fills too big of a need. With Hedman and Jones, our D would be looking pretty good.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:22 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Weekes Notice View Post
Considering then we'd even have the right number of lefties and righties (what a concept!), we could even give him sheltered minutes with Aulie until he gets his skates wet. Obviously with the intention of him moving up to eventually replace Salo at the top.

Gudas and Carle has only been tested for a little bit as a second pair, but surely it wouldn't be worse than Carle-Brewer? You get creativity and experience paired with grit and a hard shot.
Yes Jones on the third pair to start the year is the most likely scenario, unless he has a great training camp and shows chemistry with Carle. Either way, Carle should really benefit from either Jones or Gudas as both have exemplified composure, good first passes, are physical (more so Gudas) and have good point shots.

I'm probably just infatuated with idea of pairing Carle with another Pronger-type defenseman in Jones. He seems to be a blend between Subban and Pietrangelo and we'd be a tough team to play for years to come with Hedman and Jones on d and Bishop/Vasilevski in goal.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:38 PM
CupsOverCash

For some reason I feel FL would pass on their need for Offense so we wouldnt fill our need with Defense. Its difficult to get a player like Jones. Cant wait to see how this unfolds.

Old
06-25-2013, 12:41 PM
2 Weekes Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanOberg View Post
For some reason I feel FL would pass on their need for Offense so we wouldnt fill our need with Defense. Its difficult to get a player like Jones. Cant wait to see how this unfolds.
I doubt Florida will consider us much in making their pick. I've seen this argument before, but you're either stuck facing a Drouin-Stamkos line, a Hedman-Jones pairing, or a Stamkos-Barkov/MacKinnon 1-2 punch. All of those options are probably pretty equally unsavory for a division rival.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Kuchertime
socktaper

Send a message via AIM to Kuchertime
Quote:
I doubt Florida will consider us much in making their pick. I've seen this argument before, but you're either stuck facing a Drouin-Stamkos line, a Hedman-Jones pairing, or a Stamkos-Barkov/MacKinnon 1-2 punch. All of those options are probably pretty equally unsavory for a division rival.
This.

I can't figure out what Florida will do. If you go by the fans, they will go for a forward. But since the fans are not actually making the pick....

Old
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
I agree for the most part. But you mention that they are division rivals. I feel like our strength is offense and really just need another solid D man to complete our rebuilding process. Considering Vasi/Bishop fills our need in net. Our surplus of offense.

FL has needs all over. Including D. But they really would like another goal scorer or Center in my opinion. Would they draft to take a way from a division opponent like Tampa. Even though they might need a forward more than another defenseman. Getting a kid like Jones is good for any team though.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:37 PM
2016cupwinners

Would you trade down? What would you consider a good deal for trading down?

I'm sure Yzerman has considered it. We have good scouts now, so if they were convinced they had found some hidden gems, I would tend to believe them. As the draft draws near, some teams will get emotional and make irrational deals. We could really benefit if we keep our heads calm.

Old
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
CupsOverCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014cupwinners View Post
Would you trade down? What would you consider a good deal for trading down?

I'm sure Yzerman has considered it. We have good scouts now, so if they were convinced they had found some hidden gems, I would tend to believe them. As the draft draws near, some teams will get emotional and make irrational deals. We could really benefit if we keep our heads calm.
Could happen. Agree about teams possibly making emotional decisions. Especially since this is supposed to be a quick draft this year. Any idea why they are doing it so quickly this year. Isnt it always at least a couple of days?

Old
06-25-2013, 02:02 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Lightning Power Play Podcast with Al Murray

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/tamp...ast?refid=stpr

Old
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...site-Draft2013
More from Al Murray on nhl.com

Quote:
"We're closing in on a specific order, but we're kind of at the mercy of the first two teams [Colorado and Florida], but our list is probably 10 deep of really good players, so we know we're getting a good player at No. 3 there's no issues about that," Murray said. "I think there's going to be a number of players this year that can walk into the NHL and play. I don't know that you want to rush anybody, but there are a lot of guys because there's a lot of late birthdays at the top."
Quote:
Murray told NHL.com he doesn't believe there are any "A-plus" players available in this year's draft. That begs the question, then: What type of player does he consider "A-plus"?

"It's those guys who are generational players the last one we had was Sidney Crosby and the next one who might come down the line is Connor McDavid [the Erie Otters prospect not draft eligible until 2015]," Murray said. "It's a player that can immediately transform an organization from a team that's struggling to making everyone around him so much better that the team can immediately take strides...With an 'A-plus' prospect, you're talking about those very rare players a Bobby Orr, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux or Sidney Crosby," Murray said.

Murray did admit there are a solid group of "A" and "A-minus" players available. While he wouldn't go into details, he said there could be as many as six "A" players on the board this season and an even greater amount of "A-minus" prospects.
Quote:
"An 'A' player is a guy who can come in and quickly become a core piece to a team, such as Steven Stamkos, John Tavares or a Drew Doughty," Murray said. "The 'A-minus' group includes guys who can step in and be a top-six forward or top-four defensemen. Not necessarily leading a team but a real strong component -- that's how we group and view prospects entering each draft."

Murray said he feels that after the top-tier group, there are 30 to 40 prospects that are very close. As a result, teams may opt to make a pick based on preference, and not necessarily need.

"Some teams like a little bigger, some like a little faster, some like a little grittier, and there are players in this draft that are all comparable," he said. "So you might say let's take the guy that better fits what we're looking for as far as speed, size, grit or hockey sense. And you're not going to go wrong because those guys are very comparable."
Quote:
"We believe there are more players in the elite group than just [the top three of Seth Jones, Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin]," Murray said. "That gives you a lot of flexibility when you're picking at the top. That also gives [general manager] Steve Yzerman the options of looking at trading back and adding other things to the puzzle."
on Nichushkin:
Quote:
"Nichushkin's best is as good as anybody, but there's an inconsistency there and you wonder if it's an inconsistency with effort or inconsistency of passion," Murray said. "Is it just being a 17-year-old kid playing at very high levels? You're not going to be the top player every single day, but his performance at the Under-18 Five Nations Tournament in February was as dominant a performance as I've seen a player put on in a tournament. In April, though he was a notch down from what we've seen him being capable of in the past."
On Drouin:
Quote:
"So many of the young kids that come in have a dynamic talent, but they've always had the puck, so they're used to doing it a little more by themselves," Murray said. "Jonathan [Drouin] seems to be the opposite. He's looking for the opportunity to make people around him better, so he's an interesting prospect because you don't see a lot of those playmakers at his level."

Old
06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Both draft videos on TBL.com only mention Drouin/MacKinnon/Jones and those comments above seem to suggest they are not in love with Nichushkin as much as everybody thinks. It could be a smoke screen but I don't really think so.

Old
06-25-2013, 04:22 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
That comforts me quite a bit...

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but unless they absolutely think Jones is ready, I would be fine sending him back to Portland for a year to grow a bit, both physically and as a player. I really want to make sure they don't ruin whoever we draft... be patient. We can get a band-aid player through a trade, and be ready next season. Jones isn't a top pairing NHL defender now, and I'd like to ease him in as much as possible (same goes with Drouin if we get him, although I think it's less of a risk with forwards than Dmen).

Old
06-25-2013, 04:23 PM
HoseEmAllAround
Extend Matt Carle

I dunno guys. The astrologer on the main boards says Nichushkin is the second best, besides Jones. And Drouin will be a bust.

Time will tell.

Old
06-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I dunno guys. The astrologer on the main boards says Nichushkin is the second best, besides Jones. And Drouin will be a bust.

Time will tell.
My favorite part was MacKinnon peaking as a 7 year old.

Old
06-25-2013, 04:32 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...medium=twitter

Quote:
The Tampa Bay Lightning will hold a viewing party for the 2013 NHL Entry Draft at Champps Americana Sports Bar at International Plaza from 2-5 p.m. on Sunday, June 30.

Old
06-25-2013, 09:26 PM
TheDaysOf 04
[ 2 6 ]

Bob McKenzie's 2013 NHL Draft Ranking Special

Craig Button's 2013 NHL Mock Draft

Both have Drouin at #3

TSN's Final NHL draft rankings (1-75)

Old
06-25-2013, 11:58 PM
Cigar City

Draft Valeri!!!!

Old
06-25-2013, 11:59 PM
TBLbrian

can it be the draft yet!?! I am excited to see what happens

Old
06-26-2013, 08:00 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Brittany, Mishkin and the Chief talk draft: http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...d=55&id=260778 (video)

Old
06-26-2013, 08:40 AM
c_robio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
This.

I can't figure out what Florida will do. If you go by the fans, they will go for a forward. But since the fans are not actually making the pick....
During the draft combione Dale Tallon said he would take 1 of Mackinnon or Jones.

Old
06-26-2013, 08:59 AM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_robio View Post
During the draft combione Dale Tallon said he would take 1 of Mackinnon or Jones.
Tallon has also said he want someone that can play in the NHL immediately. IMO that takes out Jones and Drouin, leaving Mackinnon, Barkov, or the Russian who's name must not be spoken on this board without some having a hissie fit.

If Colorado takes MacK, then Tallon may trade down a couple of spots and get extra assets, and one of the big 5.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:20 AM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltSTH View Post
Tallon has also said he want someone that can play in the NHL immediately. IMO that takes out Jones and Drouin, leaving Mackinnon, Barkov, or the Russian who's name must not be spoken on this board without some having a hissie fit.

If Colorado takes MacK, then Tallon may trade down a couple of spots and get extra assets, and one of the big 5.
As long as we're picking Jones then I'm fine with all of this.

Old
06-26-2013, 09:27 AM
c_robio

Quote:

You don't think Jones will be in the NHL next year ? Drouin will also be in the NHL. He was the MVP of the CHL. He's 5'11 186.

I think people like to compare him to Huberdeau who is 6'1 170 and gets knocked over easily because he doesn't have the same low center of gravity. Also I've seen them both play in the Q several times and Drouin is already better than Huberdeau was when he left for the panthers last year as a 19 year old

Old
06-26-2013, 09:28 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:

Don't many scouts think Jones is NHL ready?

Closed Thread