HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kris Letang on the block?

Old
06-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Phaneuf + 21st overall for Letang
I'd do that if Phaneuf doesn't accept a deal greater than $6.5m when he comes up to be a UFA.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 500
Trading Letang would be the stupidest organizational move of the "Crosby-era". Period.

Penguins fans overreact like crazy. It's ridiculous. (And perhaps I just notice it more with Pens fans. But nevertheless...)

We have a top defensemen in the league who has one year left on his contract. We will not receive fair value. He will be re-signed.

It should surprise no one that the talks with any other player do not go as quick and smooth as with Crosby or Malkin.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Trading Letang would be the stupidest organizational move of the "Crosby-era". Period.

Penguins fans overreact like crazy. It's ridiculous. (And perhaps I just notice it more with Pens fans. But nevertheless...)

We have a top defensemen in the league who has one year left on his contract. We will not receive fair value. He will be re-signed.

It should surprise no one that the talks with any other player do not go as quick and smooth as with Crosby or Malkin.
We received fair value for Staal and this is a similar situation.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I'd do that if Phaneuf doesn't accept a deal greater than $6.5m when he comes up to be a UFA.
Phaneuf is already making $6.5m this year, So i'm pretty sure that he will want a little raise on his next contract at least up to $7m and i dont see Pittsburgh offering that to him if there not going to give Letang that much.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Phaneuf is already making $6.5m this year, So i'm pretty sure that he will want a little raise on his next contract at least up to $7m and i dont see Pittsburgh offering that to him if there not going to give Letang that much.
bingo. i know they are different types of defensemen, but if the Pens won't pay Letang $7M+, why would they pay Phaneuf that much?

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:29 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
That was a bit of a unique situation where Carolina was very interested in Staal, and Rutherford was quoted as saying that though we knew Staal wanted to sign in Carolina anyway, that he was fine with the idea of making a fair hockey deal with Pittsburgh to acquiring before he became a UFA (and for the security, obviously).

Not too mention the value of a signed Letang >>>> signed Staal, so the difference between his value now as a pending UFA after next season vs. signed long term is much greater than with Staal. So even if you plan on trading him it makes sense to sign him.

Either way, he needs to get signed. And at that point, it doesn't make sense to trade a young, Norris-nominated defensemen away from a Cup contending team that is generally weak on D.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

If there's any notion of Letang being available to trade at the draft then there is going to be a good 10+ teams showing interest, pushing the price up. We'll get fair value don't worry.

Old
06-24-2013, 10:32 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

I disagree (with the fair value part).

Old
06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
93gilmour93

Quote:
I think the opposite. Not that this trade will even happen but if it did I could see phaneuf taking a little less. Say 5.75 -6 million to play on a PP every night with Sid and Malkin.

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Sakic19Duchene9

Quote:

The reasoning for trading Letang isn't because of how he played in the this years playoffs. It's because of what his next contract will be, the Penguins won't be able to afford him and maintain depth.

Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:14 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic19Duchene9 View Post
The reasoning for trading Letang isn't because of how he played in the this years playoffs. It's because of what his next contract will be, the Penguins won't be able to afford him and maintain depth.
That's just not true. The Penguins can absolutely afford him. It's whether they value him as much as he/his agent value him, if you know what I mean.

They can fit him in now cap-wise, and if he's signed long-term he is considered a part of the core, and one of the players the team builds around.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:19 AM
Shwag33

Honestly, the pens would get the best value out of him if we sign him now. NTC/NMC whatever, he still has 1 year left on his last deal. We could still trade him ala carter/richards.

If we want the most, thats probably the way to do it. Probably piss letang off though.

Shwag33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Sakic19Duchene9

Quote:
That's just not true. The Penguins can absolutely afford him. It's whether they value him as much as he/his agent value him, if you know what I mean.

They can fit him in now cap-wise, and if he's signed long-term he is considered a part of the core, and one of the players the team builds around.
Yes, but that's only if he signs for cheap and there's no doubt in my mind that he will consider it. Some Pens fans may believe he won't want to re-sign for cheap and will want to trade him instead of paying him lots of money. Not because he is a bad player but because of losing depth at other positions.

Sakic19Duchene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:22 AM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shwag33 View Post
Honestly, the pens would get the best value out of him if we sign him now. NTC/NMC whatever, he still has 1 year left on his last deal. We could still trade him ala carter/richards.

If we want the most, thats probably the way to do it. Probably piss letang off though.
I'm pretty sure what Holmgren did to Carter is no longer legal under the new CBA.

And if we got him signed, we would just keep him.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardog View Post
You mean his struggles in the first two games of the Boston series.
Overall, he had an impressive playoffs.
No, I mean his overall struggles the past 2 post season years.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
bingo. i know they are different types of defensemen, but if the Pens won't pay Letang $7M+, why would they pay Phaneuf that much?
Yep exactly.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
I think the opposite. Not that this trade will even happen but if it did I could see phaneuf taking a little less. Say 5.75 -6 million to play on a PP every night with Sid and Malkin.
It's quite possible that if Phaneuf were traded to Pittsburgh that he would be willing to accept less money to play with the likes of Crosby and Malkin we shall see it should be interesting.

Old
06-24-2013, 11:42 AM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
No, I mean his overall struggles the past 2 post season years.
Letang was undisciplined during the Flyers series, but his actual play has been exaggerated. The Boston series is the only series where his play was noticeably bad.

Saving Greiss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
It's quite possible that if Phaneuf were traded to Pittsburgh that he would be willing to accept less money to play with the likes of Crosby and Malkin we shall see it should be interesting.
I'm sure few of my fellow Pens fans will agree but I'd actually be very intrigued with the notion of Letang to Toronto for Phaneuf and Reimer. Then Fleury to anybody for anything, and re-up Phaneuf for 5ish per year. That number is probably too low though and for much more than that I'd rather just sign Letang.

Dupree13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Not sure how this is a similar situation, Since Jordan Staal pretty much wanted out of Pittsburgh and to Carolina so he could play with his brother Eric. But it sounds like Letang wants to stay in Pittsburgh for the right money.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
I'm sure few of my fellow Pens fans will agree but I'd actually be very intrigued with the notion of Letang to Toronto for Phaneuf and Reimer. Then Fleury to anybody for anything, and re-up Phaneuf for 5ish per year. That number is probably too low though and for much more than that I'd rather just sign Letang.
I could see this as a real possibilitie, Phaneuf and Reimer going to Pittsburgh for Letang going to Toronto I could see where this would be a win win situation for both teams maybe Fleury to Phoenix for whomever.

Old
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Iron Mike

Quote:
Not too mention the value of a signed Letang >>>> signed Staal, so the difference between his value now as a pending UFA after next season vs. signed long term is much greater than with Staal. So even if you plan on trading him it makes sense to sign him.
All reports indicate that Letang wants a full NTC as part of any deal. IMO, that is just as a important as the money and makes it tougher to sign him. Not many teams make the SCF with three players making above $7 million/year. It depletes depth at too many other positions and really makes it difficult to improve the team via trade/free agency. If Ray signs Letang for say 8 years and $56 million with a NTC, he is locked into that. If they pull another choke job in next years playoffs there is nothing he can do. Sure he could fire Bylsma, but core changes would be difficult if not impossible. Pens fans should think about just how terrible that would feel knowing changes need to occur but can't happen due to massive contracts. And let's face it, Letang has not exactly earned the title of a playoff performer.

Iron Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clusterpuck View Post
All reports indicate that Letang wants a full NTC as part of any deal. IMO, that is just as a important as the money and makes it tougher to sign him. Not many teams make the SCF with three players making above $7 million/year. It depletes depth at too many other positions and really makes it difficult to improve the team via trade/free agency. If Ray signs Letang for say 8 years and $56 million with a NTC, he is locked into that. If they pull another choke job in next years playoffs there is nothing he can do. Sure he could fire Bylsma, but core changes would be difficult if not impossible. Pens fans should think about just how terrible that would feel knowing changes need to occur but can't happen due to massive contracts. And let's face it, Letang has not exactly earned the title of a playoff performer.
Well if Letang came to Detroit and say that Holland gave him a 7 year $49m deal a NTC would be no problem Holland pretty much gives all his top notch players NTC.

Old
06-24-2013, 02:04 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I'm pretty sure what Holmgren did to Carter is no longer legal under the new CBA.
And if we got him signed, we would just keep him.
??? Really?

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Shwag33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
Letang was undisciplined during the Flyers series, but his actual play has been exaggerated. The Boston series is the only series where his play was noticeably bad.

Already forgot the isles series?

Shwag33 is online now   Reply With Quote