HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Ullstrom to HC Lokomotiv

Old
06-19-2013, 04:40 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
Ullstrom to HC Lokomotiv

David Ullström signs in KHL........

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:52 AM
dcv2002

Ullstrom to HC Lokomotiv

WTF?

https://twitter.com/hclokomotiv/stat...80514568302592

dcv2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Hockeyfrilla

strange decision by him

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:26 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
David Ullström signs in KHL........
Seems to be reported here at least, but not at hockeysverige.se: http://www.eliteprospects.com/

Wonder if that would have any effect on the team retaining Joensuu?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:30 AM
BillD

We have to assume that the team told him in exit interviews that he did not fit into their roster plans for 2013-14. This way we retain control of his rights, like Koskenen. Although he seemed to be a Cappy scapegoat with healthy scratches and limited minutes, I find it weird that they did not encourage him to prepare and fight for a spot at training camp, or use him in a package for a player they are targeting.
Ullstrom was not that far from being an NHL regular bottom 6 player and there are certainly many who are not as good as him playing on other teams.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:37 AM
icing

He wanted a one way deal. Islanders was not willing to give him that.

From hockeysverige.se :
http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...envagskontrakt

- It was a hard decision. I have spent a lot of time considering pros and cons, says David Ullström.
- I wanted a one way deal, a more solid environment after being up and down, back and forth for two years. Islanders was not willing to give me that.

The fear of a season like the last was also a crucial factor in the desicion. He believes that the KHL can work as a good stepping stone for reaching the NHL.
- It would not be good for my development och that's why this feels like the right decision to make, says Ullström.
- I feel that I'm done with the AHL after playing there off and on the last three seasons. It's no secret that the dream still is the NHL and I belieive this is the right way for me.

What do you hope to gain from this move?
- I always have high expectations on myself. I hope to find my game again and to get more minutes in a more leading role.

Last edited by icing: 06-19-2013 at 05:43 AM.
icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 05:49 AM
On Edge

very surprised. I really liked what I saw from him.

That opens things up a bit doesn't it!

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:07 AM
RichOnTheLI

Very strange. Maybe he wanted to be a everyday player?

I guess this opens a spot for Nelson next season.

RichOnTheLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:23 AM
InformTheMasses

Well this stings. I'm far more upset about this loss than Street skipping town. Ullstrom is more talented than given credit for. Never looked like Cappy liked him or was comfortable with him.

Ullstrom essentially got the Nino treatment from cap. There is a real trend developing with capuano and rookies and I don't care for it. In the long run it will be detrimental to the development of the franchise.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:42 AM
On Edge

The more I think about this, the more I think this is actually a really good indication of how deep this team is getting at mid six forward.

You have Lee, Nelson, Nino, Strome, Sundstrom all in the mix for only a couple of spots. I like Ulstrom - a lot - but this may be a promising tell that his agent and him think the depth is too good for him to get a shot.

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Renbarg

Do we retain his rights? If so, not horrible at all. I'm pretty sure he would have had to been waived in order to go down to the AHL, would've thought there would be more than a decent shot that a team picks him up if the Islanders did decide to do that.

In any case, the kid gets to make 6 figures for a year and play against tougher competition than the AHL but less than the NHL. Hopefully he'll be a better player and come back next year and fight for a spot on this team.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
MichaelK

Ullstrom has a great game or two that makes you think he has turned the corner then he reverts back to typical Ullstrom. He is not a Top 6 player on this team and frankly does not play with enough physicality or defense to be a 3rd/4th liner

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well this stings. I'm far more upset about this loss than Street skipping town. Ullstrom is more talented than given credit for. Never looked like Cappy liked him or was comfortable with him.

Ullstrom essentially got the Nino treatment from cap. There is a real trend developing with capuano and rookies and I don't care for it. In the long run it will be detrimental to the development of the franchise.
I think once Cappy is comfortable with the rookie, he'll get plenty of ice. See Hickey, CMac, Cizikas, etc.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
kasper11

I have no problem with this from either side. Ullstrom hasn't shown enough yet to get a 1-way deal, especially with Nino, Strome, Lee, Nelson.

Tavares, Moulson, Nielsen, Bailey, Okposo, Grabner, McDonald, Martin, Cizikas and Boulton who will be with the team. That is 10 forwards, which leaves room for 3 more (assuming they carry 8 d again). Hopefully they will sign at least one more forward, which leaves 2 spots for Nino, Nelson, Strome, Lee to battle over. I would have like to have seen Ullstrom in that mix, but they couldn't really guarantee him a spot.

Hopefully he will play great in the KHL and in a year or two be with the Isles.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:35 AM
startainfection

we better be bringing in stalberg

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:52 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Or does this mean Joensuu will be retained?

We keep Ullstrom's rights, I believe. I think the Isles only had to offer him a two-way RFA contract with the mandatory 10% raise or whatever in order to retain his rights...

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 07:53 AM
CREW99AW

I would have liked to have seen Ullstrom sign a deal like Joensuu's: make the NHL roster or you can return to play in Europe.
I did think he was in Cappy's doghouse. There was a report that he got sent down because the isles wanted more effort from him. I took that to mean stronger defensive effort and physical play.

Hopefully, he gets a ton of playing time on his new team and continues to develop.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Dan-o16

This is the new normal. A prospect, particularly a European prospect, who is NHL ready and isn't committed to by his team may well go to the KHL. The question is whether he'll like it.

We can't expect these guys to toil for AHL pay when they have the opportunity to make 10 TIMES the amount elsewhere. Good for him.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
Tavares2TheRescue
#FireCapuano

Well, that was a surprise... It's too bad, I liked Ullstrom and thought he could be a decent player.

Tavares2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:16 AM
StrongIslanders90

Solid young player...I like him a lot more than Joensuu....

The thing that makes this even worse is that I would have liked guys like Ullstrom in camp to push the 'Rooks" to really earn roster spots...

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by icing View Post
He wanted a one way deal. Islanders was not willing to give him that.

From hockeysverige.se :
http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...envagskontrakt

- It was a hard decision. I have spent a lot of time considering pros and cons, says David Ullström.
- I wanted a one way deal, a more solid environment after being up and down, back and forth for two years. Islanders was not willing to give me that.

The fear of a season like the last was also a crucial factor in the desicion. He believes that the KHL can work as a good stepping stone for reaching the NHL.
- It would not be good for my development och that's why this feels like the right decision to make, says Ullström.
- I feel that I'm done with the AHL after playing there off and on the last three seasons. It's no secret that the dream still is the NHL and I belieive this is the right way for me.

What do you hope to gain from this move?
- I always have high expectations on myself. I hope to find my game again and to get more minutes in a more leading role.

Really surprised by this.

He was mishandled the entire season IMHO. in and out of the lineup; up and down between BP and the Island. Not sure what he did to get into the Cappy's doghouse, but there is a trend with these young guys wanted to leave which concerns me.

I thought he would be a frontrunner for a 3rd line wing spot. Guess this mean we can see an UFA forward brought in.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:21 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
The thing that makes this even worse is that I would have liked guys like Ullstrom in camp to push the 'Rooks" to really earn roster spots...
It's one reason I say that it's intelligent to TRADE prospects who are fairly developed and are not clear fits for the team. It's why I think it's smart to trade Nino now to a team who will make a commitment to him (trading for Nino would, by itself, be a strong implied commitment).

There's no way in hell Brock Nelson or Matt Donovan will look elsewhere. Because the GM has all but publicly committed to them. But if Nino doesn't make the team, would anyone be surprised if he bolts? I sure as hell won't be. Hell, it could happen the day after the draft if Nino isn't dealt.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Ullstrom has a great game or two that makes you think he has turned the corner then he reverts back to typical Ullstrom. He is not a Top 6 player on this team and frankly does not play with enough physicality or defense to be a 3rd/4th liner
I thought he was great in the playoffs. Hope we don't end up with another Reasoner instead.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
IslandersFan17

Capuano remind anyone of another coach we once had? Not as egregious as it sounds, but Capuano has that bit of Nolan in him that does not prefer younger players. Ullstrom fell victim to that and I don't blame the guy for wanting a more stable situation.

IslandersFan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2013, 08:45 AM
xECK29x

Wasn't Ullstrom hurt twice this season including missing time in the AHL? I'm surprised but as previous posters above me has stated, this is the new normal for tweeners. He is an RFA so we retain his rights.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote